• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 collection sucks compared to previous gens

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Returning to this thread since I just finished sorting through all my physical game purchases I've done in 2024, and it looks like on PS5 alone I've bought 28 titles (pic below). On top of that, I've also purchased 15 PS4 games, 28 Switch games, and 30 Xbox games. All of these purchases happened within the first half of this year.

So yeah, this gen def isn't a disappointing one for me. There's also so much more stuff I'm looking forward to for the remainder of 2024 (already pre-ordered a bunch games).

MWsh2zp.jpeg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Returning to this thread since I just finished sorting through all my physical game purchases I've done in 2024, and it looks like on PS5 alone I've bought 28 titles (pic below). On top of that, I've also purchased 15 PS4 games, 28 Switch games, and 30 Xbox games. All of these purchases happened within the first half of this year.

So yeah, this gen def isn't a disappointing one for me. There's also so much more stuff I'm looking forward to for the remainder of 2024 (already pre-ordered a bunch games).

MWsh2zp.jpeg
What version is that of The Man Who Released His Name?

This is like a weaker immitation of the PS4 generation. However, PS4 was pretty peak, so rn I still consider PS5 better than certain other generations - in particular PS360, which I consider the dark ages. However, right now they are also repeating mistakes from the PS360 era and it's concerning. Once again chasing those GAAS trends and being too safe with overproduced AAA.

But overall I don't know what to tell you if you couldn't find enough to play in 2023 and 2024. I'm quite picky and it's been undeniably a solid couple of years.

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member

I think it's because you're into really niche, Japanese/Asian content. The vast majority of gamers will have never even heard 80% of the games on your list.

Though maybe we need to expand our horizons and see what's out there.

hussar16

The devs have figured out they can just make one average game shove bunch of early day release or extras and make money. Most companies I'm not sure how they even make money honeslty .investors?

Sw0pDiller

I dont agree, loving my time with the ps5. Dont own a switch or game pc, still coming back to Some Wii u titels with my kids. But overal ps5 is killing it, i dont need anything else and my backlog is huge. All the mayor games can be played on it. They got the first half af 2025 covered with stellar blade, ff7, and ronin, Lets not forget the gem helldivers 2. astro bot is coming. Mp games like dd and shadow of the earth tree…. Wat kind of depressing drugs are you guys on for saying this gen is lackluster?

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I think it's because you're into really niche, Japanese/Asian content. The vast majority of gamers will have never even heard 80% of the games on your list.

Though maybe we need to expand our horizons and see what's out there.
Not really, I purchase both Western and Eastern games in almost equal measure. From the screenshot I posted, the only games I would categorize as 'niche' Asian games are TEVI, Mato Anomalies, Afterimage, and White Day (although this is an older release).

The other Eastern developed games shown are AA to AAA titles with major publishers behind them, released in the past 12 months (e.g. AC6, Dragon's Dogma 2, Granblue Fantasy Relink, FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Lies of P, Unicorn Overlord, SMTVV), and I def wouldn't consider them niche. The remaining games are AA titles developed by Western studios.

And as I also mentioned in the same post, I've purchased 30 Xbox games, most of which are developed by Western studios so If I had to do a breakdown of everything I bought this year it would be around 50/50 western/eastern and maybe 10% max of that total I would consider as niche.

Lastly, I expected that on a gaming forum like GAF, people would not only be interested in the typical AAA titles, but would also be open to trying games and genres outside of their comfort zones. Guess I was wrong based on some of the replies I see in this thread including yours. 🤷

Last edited:
Top Bottom