• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 collection sucks compared to previous gens

Crayon

I think I've been buying games at about the same rate. Less physical ones than before, though. Hmm, wonder why.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I agree with Op. My Current PS4 and PS5 library compared. Pretty abysmal.
ZNhk0WM.jpeg

JrQrhDH.jpeg

HercRaato

Wow I must be an outlier. I just counted 71 PS5 games. Are they all exclusives, no and who cares. The dual sense is awesome and easily my favorite controller. I like to sit on my lanai and play after work

Ive been gaming for over 50 years. I've been hearing this same crap for 3 generations. PS3 has no games, PS4 has no games, PS5 has no games. You all are just jaded and spoiled. I lived the crash of the 80's and I do see some trends I don't like which may lead to reset of the industry. I've built a huge backlog from SNES until now. I don't ever have to buy another game and it won't matter. I have tons of stuff I've never opened I can play.

You all need to realize some of us are eating good right now. JRPGs are flowing hot and heavy, dungeon crawlers, ARPG, you name it, it's out there. Feel free to whine about no exclusives, but PS isn't all exclusives anymore. If that bothers you maybe it's time to move on.

It's seems most people in here want to bitch about games, or they are part of the look at me I'm a cool edgelord. Newsflash you and the games you want are not the center of the universe and neither are mine. When companies quit making money they change their game plan or go under. PS is making more money than ever so what they are doing is working. Go play some games on whatever system you want, but this PS has no games narrative is bullshit.

TLDR: old man yells at clouds

MayauMiao

Me and my brother already own a PS2, PS3, and PS4, never had the desire to buy a PS5. Not only because of lackluster offering but seeing how Playstation exclusives coming to PC, why even bother.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think the comparison PS4 vs PS5 should be enough.

BTW I got Spider-Man 2 for PS5 as a digital download.
Just this year you could have added Unicorn Overlord, Dragon's Dogma 2, Helldivers 2, and FFVII Rebirth. Along with Elden Ring's Shadown of the Erdtree and FFXVI's Rising Tide DLC. Astro Bot is coming soon, too.

I could name a bunch of other good games from this gen you don't have. Unless you're playing them on a different system.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If you ignore the free games I got from PS+ then yeah I have bought less then 10 PS5 games so far.

I came to a realization that the PS5's best use for me was running PS4 better so that along with the release of the Steam Deck really pushed me towards PC.

These days I would say I'm 89% PC, 10% PlayStation and 1% Nintendo.

Gamerguy84

Because I have time constraints I haven't bought a ton of games either. More of the bigger hits single player.

PSPlus covers a lot of on the fence games as well. Will buy pro day 1 though. PS5 with almost no load times is amazing and I couldn't go back.

Facism

I've been gaming since the C64 and this is the most lackluster, boring, safe console generation so far. All the excitement is gone and this is quite visible by the number of physical PS games on my shelves.

PS3: 90+ games
PS4: 64 games
PS5: 19 games

I think I only bought one physical PS5 game this entire year: Stellar Blade. The only game I'm looking forward to is the new Astrobot game. Everything else is meh ...

Is there anyone out there in GAF land who's been buying more PS5 games than during the PS4 and PS3 gen?

for real. Even then, how many of those ps5 games are just PS5 versions of PS4 games? I've only got 2 games that are PS5 only, FF16 and Rebirth. Everything else is just xgen. Probably the worst gen for me in a while.

I guess slow in terms of AAA bangers, but even that's debatable to a point.

I dunno, I have a few hundred games on my PS5. Some are PS4 titles but there really is no shortage of quality games to play. You need to be looking at AA/Indie. I even have roughly 70 PSVR2 games and that platform is viewed as dead (it isn't).

PS3 gen was amazing but it played it more safe than what we have now. PS3/360 indies were nowhere near what they are now and everyone was trying to insert MP in games to compete with COD. Also, there were mere handfuls of JRPG titles back then for PS3/360 whereas these days we have freaking boatloads of JRPGS releasing on a monthly basis.

Take a chance on random games during deep sales and by all means, explore the AA game sector, the water is warm, so many awesome games to choose from.

I think there has been some truly great games this gen but it's definitely the worst gen for Playstation and Xbox. Nintendo have continued to kill it all gen for me, truly great games.
Asking because I see this take a lot. WTF are y'all playing on switch? Its EASILY their worst console of all time for me. The Zelda games have fallen off. I enjoyed BoTW and ToTK but they're nowhere as good as OoT, wind waker or TP. Hell, my favorite Zelda game to 'release' on the switch this gen was probably the links awaking remake. Similar to Mario, Odyssey is a good game but it's not near the level of the galaxy games or Mario 64.

Idk, I feel like Nintendo gets a pass from people on this forum. Even this year is a bunch of remakes from them with TTYD and Luigi's Mansion, yet when Sony announced these type of games, they're like crucified for it lol. Just in general, I feel like all publishers have fallen off. Not a ton of new IP or new gameplay mechanics. Pretty much much of the same from previous gens but with longer dev times.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Yeah, I'm disappointed with 9th gen so far too. Majority of games I tend to play on my PS5 are games released on past generation

Robb

Gold Member
I haven’t even bought one yet, and I’ve bought pretty much every PlayStation within the first year of release. This gen is a slow burn for sure..

CashPrizes

I think people in general, definitely on Neogaf, are unnecessarily down beat about this generation. Games as a Service is definitely having a negative impact overall, but there are still a pretty great slew of titles most years. 2020 was one of the best years for gaming ever (and a lot of those titles hit PS5 or were patched later for excellent performance on PS5) and 2023 is like in the top 10 definitely. I run a 4090 PC so most of these games are owned there, but for great games that have hit the PS5 so far this Gen (staring from this year and going backwards):

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 3 Reload
Unicorn Overload
Balatro
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2
Hades 2
Baldurs Gate 3
Alan Wake 2
Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy XVI
Dead Space Remake
Diablo IV (I actually like it especially with recent changes, I know that is "unpopular")
Armored Core VI
Darkest Dungeon 2
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
God of War Ragnarok
Tunic
Resident Evil Village
Hitman 3
Inscryption
Cyberpunk 2077 (post fixes)

And those are just the ones I played. I am sure if I played any of the recent Yakuza/Like a Dragon games I would have a blast, or either of the newest Prince of Persia 2d games or Sea of Stars or Neon White or Tekken 8 or Street Fighter VI. Looking at it by years, yeah the generation definitely had a slow start (Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 and FF7 Rebirth released just prior to the PS5), not too much at launch besides Demon Souls remake and 2021 was an abysmal year for releases, probably because of Covid slowing development times. But 2022 was better then 2021 and 2023 and 2024 have been great.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I think I've bought ten games för my PS5 so far. I'm slowly moving over from Xbox to PlayStation this gen, which is a process. But it's been a slow gen for sure. First there were all those cross gen titles and then very little else. I think most if not all games feels like they could be PS4 games, the step up from last gen feels tiny. I do like the DualSense, though, and Astro Bot will probably be my GOTY and probably one of the top games this gen.

RickMasters

I've actually played more games this gen including older games due to better performance with BC.

That has been one of my fave things about this gen. Especially in Xbox. There have been some great third party games this gen (elden ring, Armoured core, system shock, atomic hearts, and the plague tale series come to mind among others come to mind) but I’ve also got a massive backlog between Xbox and PC so if I’m honest I can’t this gen had been all that bad. I bought quite a few current gen games but I find myself leaving them in the backlog, by the time I play certain games I’ll be playing them with enhanced setting on the next Xbox, at this rate.

And then of course there’s the lack of time to play any of my big games. I would love to get lost in cyberpunk and do it all but I need to finish some of my other games first.

DavidGzz

I went full PC and never looked back. PS5 and XSX collecting dust. So many Indy, early access, etc games plus usually the best versions of everything else. I can't stop buying games on Steam and GOG.

Melchiah

Yeah, this gen sucks compared to all those before. I haven't bought a single AAA game in nearly two years because everything is open world busy work nowadays. I used to buy about 10 games a year before the fad became the norm, but now you can't find a good old linear/Metroidvania style 3rd person action-adventure/action RPG anywhere in the AAA space. It speaks volumes, that the game I'm waiting the most is a smaller one, namely Slitterhead, but even that was originally supposed to be open world. Luckily, they didn't have budget for it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Asking because I see this take a lot. WTF are y'all playing on switch? Its EASILY their worst console of all time for me. The Zelda games have fallen off. I enjoyed BoTW and ToTK but they're nowhere as good as OoT, wind waker or TP. Hell, my favorite Zelda game to 'release' on the switch this gen was probably the links awaking remake. Similar to Mario, Odyssey is a good game but it's not near the level of the galaxy games or Mario 64.

Idk, I feel like Nintendo gets a pass from people on this forum. Even this year is a bunch of remakes from them with TTYD and Luigi's Mansion, yet when Sony announced these type of games, they're like crucified for it lol. Just in general, I feel like all publishers have fallen off. Not a ton of new IP or new gameplay mechanics. Pretty much much of the same from previous gens but with longer dev times.

Zelda has far from fallen off, I think they are amazing. You think they are below one of the best games of all time and an excellent wind waker. I personally think the Switch, when taking into account their legacy is the best console Nintendo has ever made and will go down in history as a classic. I dont really wanna do lists but pretty much every game they have released has been a great game and then add in games like Xenoblade chronicles, the way they handle their re releases like 3D world. I just think they are amazing. They make a tiny underpowered POS piece of hardware compete easily toe to toe with these big ass more powerful consoles and 9 times out of ten they deliver gameplay those companies could only dream of.

They strip away all the bullshit and make great playing games imo. They deserve every success.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Wow I must be an outlier. I just counted 71 PS5 games. Are they all exclusives, no and who cares. The dual sense is awesome and easily my favorite controller. I like to sit on my lanai and play after work

Ive been gaming for over 50 years. I've been hearing this same crap for 3 generations. PS3 has no games, PS4 has no games, PS5 has no games. You all are just jaded and spoiled. I lived the crash of the 80's and I do see some trends I don't like which may lead to reset of the industry. I've built a huge backlog from SNES until now. I don't ever have to buy another game and it won't matter. I have tons of stuff I've never opened I can play.

You all need to realize some of us are eating good right now. JRPGs are flowing hot and heavy, dungeon crawlers, ARPG, you name it, it's out there. Feel free to whine about no exclusives, but PS isn't all exclusives anymore. If that bothers you maybe it's time to move on.

It's seems most people in here want to bitch about games, or they are part of the look at me I'm a cool edgelord. Newsflash you and the games you want are not the center of the universe and neither are mine. When companies quit making money they change their game plan or go under. PS is making more money than ever so what they are doing is working. Go play some games on whatever system you want, but this PS has no games narrative is bullshit.

TLDR: old man yells at clouds
Nah.

This generation sucks. Tired, dull games.

Blame the wokes for abolishing “crunch”

It’s the reason why we’re waiting 4+ years for one game.

There would be, at the very least, twice as many new games for this generation if the sensitives didn’t cry about having to work overtime; god-forbid.
Time to just fucking sack off this ultra realistic graphics shit and start making fun games with a good fun art direction. Games that can take like a year or two to develop, instead of fucking 6 years. Really makes me just want to plug in my PS2 and play shit on that these days.

Nintendo literally has been carried by Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for fucking years. It's crazy.

RPS37

This generation still feels like it has barely started with cross gen games and r3makes all over the place for so long.

Bernardougf

I don't think it'll matter, console buyers will buy consoles.

I reckon they could put their games on pc day one and it'd make no significant difference to hardware sales.
Iam a console player only since the end of the ps2 era ... if Sony puts all their games guaranteed 6 months to 1 year on PC ... Im going pc next gen and wont be buying the ps6.... there's just no point anymore. Of course Im just 1 person but is bound to have many others that thinks or eventually will think like me.

Downplaying the importance that day 1 PC games had on the Xbox demise is one huge mistake imho.

Tunned

I have always liked Sony exclusives, but this generation they are hardly of interest for me, I only own two games on my PS5, GT7 and H:FW. I'm keeping my PS5 to play GTAVI on release, and now that Astrobot has showed up, I'll get that. Otherwise PC is where all the gaming is at for me, especially now that Sony releases most of its exclusives on PC.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Iam a console player only since the end of the ps2 era ... if Sony puts all their games guaranteed 6 months to 1 year on PC ... Im going pc next gen and wont be buying the ps6.... there's just no point anymore. Of course Im just 1 person but is bound to have many others that thinks or eventually will think like me.

Downplaying the importance that day 1 PC games had on the Xbox demise is one huge mistake imho.

We can agree to disagree on how significant day one on PC is, but if you've had a console since the PS2 era and are posting on a video game message board, I wonder if you've got a bit more purchasing power that the average console owner, and if you're also more prepared to spend on games than the average person.

I think it's one thing liking games a lot, but it's another being prepared to spend at least double on hardware to do so.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some days I’m loving it and then I get that feeling like this is a transitional console. Which means I’ll have to buy another one, which sucks because this console should last quite a long time.

If you think about it. A console doesn’t just survive on AAA now that development takes years and years. COVID delayed a lot of things. There’s a lot of games, but also a lot of things aren’t next gen.

I’m not exactly waiting for the next life like AAA game. I think a lot of people’s expectations are too high. If anything comes out with AAA quality, you’re more than likely going to see traits of previous console games. It’s just how it is. So i don’t honestly understand it when someone says they’re disappointed. There’s so much content out there now. Maybe they want multiple TLoU games with a huge IMDB cast of Hollywood actors and actresses. God of War and Spider-Man look great, but I’ve also enjoyed games with less graphical powerhouse a lot more. I don’t rank those games in my GOAT list.

PS4 had a couple slow gaps. I can follow my played or trophy list and it becomes apparent when there was nothing to play besides a small title here and there. My played games list is approaching 500 something games since that was created. It feels like there’s good stuff, but you also sense that this gen didn’t get rid of the PS4. That’s why it sucks to think this gen is half way over with when it feels like it got its first stride.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah I agree, but then again these consoles are best way to play previous gen games, so I probably spend way more time playing games in comparison to previous gen. That sucked, hard

Nintendo literally has been carried by Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for fucking years. It's crazy.
Didn't even include pokemon which has REALLY had a fall from quality. Mario and Zelda are still good, even if entries in the past are better. Pokemon is legit bad. I swear I live on another planet when people talk about Nintendo and how great their output has been. It's been a barren wasteland for a good part of this gen.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

And Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon, Sports, Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis, Pikmin.*

But aside from that, they've got practically nothing but Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

*taken from Wikipedia's best selling Switch games list, which I wholly acknowledge is FULL of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games, but to be fair, the top 3 best selling games are not those games.

Last edited:
And Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon, Sports, Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis, Pikmin.*

But aside from that, they've got practically nothing but Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

*taken from Wikipedia's best selling Switch games list, which I wholly acknowledge is FULL of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games, but to be fair, the top 3 best selling games are not those games.

Fair enough.

Bernardougf

We can agree to disagree on how significant day one on PC is, but if you've had a console since the PS2 era and are posting on a video game message board, I wonder if you've got a bit more purchasing power that the average console owner, and if you're also more prepared to spend on games than the average person.

I think it's one thing liking games a lot, but it's another being prepared to spend at least double on hardware to do so.
Yes.. I can buy pretty much whatever hardware I feel like ... but I never felt the need to go beyond my playstation... the hardware never felt to much outdated and Sony games were to my liking... since the end of next gen with TLOU2 and the sequels they released this gen this games arent connecting with my taste anymore, the first party output is diminishing greatly and so the PS5 basically became a multiplat gaming console for me, and multiplats will always be better on PC, another thing is that with 450- 500 dollars consoles the distance to high / top end PC hardware now is becoming to great to ignore, specially when trying to push the later ray tracing evolutions.

So all in all ... going full PC next gen seems much more doable and logical for me at least... as long as Sony releases all their games on PC .. if I have to wait 1 year.. I dont care.

FeastYoEyes

Everytime I've bought an exclusive since Demons Souls Ive been let down. They really are off their game this gen.

It's even worse knowing that was the first PS5 exclusive I got.

yurqqa

I'm also back on PC (Steam Deck and GPD Win 4 recently) and my PS5 and XSX are collecting dust. Also play a lot on Switch, so it's not pure "getting older" syndrome.

I bought Ragnarok An Spider Man 2, but didn't even start playing them.

But I also just realized that in previous generations there were games I bought purely because of graphics - they looked like something new that wasn't possible before.

Nothing this generation.

Ok, there are Quality-of-Life improvements that I love - short loading times are great and quick switch between worlds in Ratchet is a great gimmick, but it's not the reason to impulse buy a new game.

Last edited:

Switch is in bonus time now so it doesn't matter what they release this year. It's already one of the best consoles of all time and Switch 2 is just around the corner. Those remakes are also 20 years old. Sony gets roasted because they remaster a game then remake it a few years later.

So many here sound like a bunch of old men who couldn't accept they're getting old and want to go back to gaming in their 20's or are just going off piss poor reviews or what YouTube tells them to think and say with the 'trademark thumbnail expression' link

Looking over all that the amount of amazing games out there is nuts, most of which I bet most haven't bought or bothered with. Sure SONY In-House games have dried up, but hey just buy a Series X and Gamepass and be even more happy and then play some of the amazing 3rd party games on the PS5. Sure a lot are cross-gen, but that to me is no different from having the same game on the Master System and Mega Drive, big deal.

It's sad making a list and I get the irony, but this year alone we've had Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth, Banishers Ghosts Of New Eden, Alan Wake 2, Dragons Dogman 2, Cocoon, and What Lies Beneath to name but a few.

My major issue with this gen is with storage and trying to find space for all the great games out there. Never mind, how I hate work and being in my 40s so time becomes an issue unlike in my 20's where I could play Exhumed/Powerslave until 4AM morning and get up at 6AM for work and think nothing of it... Those days are long gone, after work these days, even going for a pint feels like hard work and I just can't be bothered

Switch is in bonus time now so it doesn't matter what they release this year. It's already one of the best consoles of all time and Switch 2 is just around the corner. Those remakes are also 20 years old. Sony gets roasted because they remaster a game then remake it a few years later.
The "bonus" time is complete nonsense to me. If comparing to Sony, they have had some of their strongest years supporting older hardware when about to launch (2013 and 2020). Its just another excuse for switch having lackluster games.

Even when talking about remakes, yea I would agree Nintendo has a better selection of games chosen but they do such a poor job of making them worth it. I don't think it's too big a deal, since the game is turn based but having TTYD run at only 30fps when the GameCube version ran at 60 about 20 years ago is just completely absurd. And they charge full price for it!!

Idk, I just feel like Nintendo always gets a pass. Their games, while still great, I think are clearly not good as they once were. Their games NEVER go on sale and they have long lulls in big first party titles and yet crickets from people. I've gone from being day 1 to switch 2 as I've been on every Nintendo console of my life to probably just waiting a couple of years until they get their library worth it.

Top Bottom