• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 collection sucks compared to previous gens

Puscifer

The PS5 is the console that I've bought the fewest games for, of any console. Never should have believed the GAF hype. Sorry!
I haven't played it since the Stellar Blade demo. Before that, Ragnarok but they did the price increase so I play COD on PC now. At this point I don't even know why I own it, maybe GTA 6?

aclar00

I do wonder how much Sony will cannibalize the Playstation market via PC. If im not mistaken the port time has shrunken on many ocassions and PC/PS5 multiplayer/online only games have even more reasons now to play on PC.
1) Day and date releases
2) Cheaper Games (often times)
3) No online fee (PS+ increases)
4) DualSense accessibility
5) Generally low PC requirements

I dont think it would be a tremendous amount, but with the push to GaaS i see it being more than it otherwise would be because GaaS games are definitely going to be day and date releases. If i had a PC and played GaaS games, id def get them for PC where i wouldnt have to worry about PS+ fees.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’ve bought a whopping 2 PS5 games in the last year: Final Fantasy XVI (which wasn’t good and I wish I’d waited for the PC version) and Unicorn Overlord.

When you filter out Sony’s big AAAA cinematic crap (not interested) and all the multiplatform games that are better on PC, there’s not much left. Astro Bot is literally the only upcoming PS5 exclusive I’m still excited about.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
So far this gen I've bought nine games exclusive and third party combined. On a more positive note I'll have another three games by the end of the year.

58auNaK.gif

nial

Do you think Astrobot and DS2 are equal to games like Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and God of War III?
if I'm completely honest, I think they're better (I still like those PS3 games).
But come on, you very well know that was not my point in calling out such a disingenuous post of yours. Concord is not even tentpole, ffs, it costs 40 dollars.
We already had a GOW game (AND Santa Monica's second project should release sometime this gen), and Naughty Dog is working on a new IP, so it's still the same?

nial

Just a minor "I told you so" to the people giving me shit yesterday for saying that PS gamers seem uniquely depressed and unsatisfied lately in the "industry is dying" thread. There's a thread like this every few days. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, PuniMiku, a bunch of depressed old people represent PS gamers as a whole. Just another great take.
In the outer online world where Xbox isn't even a consideration for most people, people keep saying the same shit they did in 07 about the ps3: PS5 has no games!
I know what you're talking about; it's a tired, unfunny meme among Twitter zoomers who mostly lean into Nintendo stuff. No surprise over there.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yes, PuniMiku, a bunch of depressed old people represent PS gamers as a whole. Just another great take.
I think it's a generalization, but still true. Only thing I hear people say about Xbox fans is that they're shills, which means they seem to be enjoying the product too much. Nintendo gamers almost don't comment here anymore at all, but they seem pretty happy as well to the point I was surprised by how high they were rating their last showcase on social media. Very happy with the product. PS I think rated the lowest during the summer showcase season in votes on IGN and other random sites conducting polls. PC adoption rates just seem to keep increasing, and they all seem pretty pleased with the current state of things. Can't say I've really seen a single thread or even many comments from PC gamers like that. PS gamers were celebrating when their CEO resigned, and now they seem to be cheering for one of their 1st party studios to fire everyone. I don't think you'd see that from anyone else currently.

It's just true that for some reason, a lot of PS gamers these days tend to be super negative and grumpy people lately. You're the PS guy, so you can figure it out. Suffering from success? Perhaps.

"Heavy lies the crown."
- DJ Khaled

Last edited:

nial

I think it's a generalization, but still true. Only thing I hear people say about Xbox fans is that they're shills, which means they seem to be enjoying the product too much. Nintendo gamers almost don't comment here anymore at all, but they seem pretty happy as well to the point I was surprised by how high they were rating their last showcase on social media. Very happy with the product. PS I think rated the lowest during the summer showcase season in votes on IGN and other random sites conducting polls. PC adoption rates just seem to keep increasing, and they all seem pretty pleased with the current state of things. Can't say I've really seen a single thread or even many comments from PC gamers like that. PS gamers were celebrating when their CEO resigned. I don't think you'd see that from anyone else currently.

It's just true that for some reason, a lot of PS gamers these days tend to be super negative and grumpy people lately. You're the PS guy, so you can figure it out. Suffering from success? Perhaps.

"Heavy lies the crown."
- DJ Khaled
Yeah, no, you're just too invested in this. I mean, bolded, seriously, who cares about this shit outside of the very hardcore fanbase? AND even within that, just a little group of whiners?
I mean, I've managed to see some weird people with obssesive hatred for different companies' CEOs, it's not even exclusive for PS.

Punished Miku

Yeah, no, you're just too invested in this. I mean, bolded, seriously, who cares about this shit outside of the very hardcore fanbase? AND even within that, just a little group of whiners?
I mean, I've managed to see some weird people with obssesive hatred for different companies' CEOs, it's not even exclusive for PS.
I'm actually barely invested in it at this point. I used to be all about PS last gen. Anyway, I wasn't trying to make anything up.

If you disagree that's totally fine. I don't expect my personal opinion to be fact for everyone. That's just my read on things.

nial

I'm actually barely invested in it at this point. I used to be all about PS last gen. Anyway, I wasn't trying to make anything up.

I don't think that you're necessarily trying to lie, just that you have a weird view about these sort of things. And, uh huh, that's surely a Jason Schreier article.
If you disagree that's totally fine. I don't expect my personal opinion to be fact for everyone. That's just my read on things.
I mean, fine? But then you start saying stuff like this.
Just a minor "I told you so"

Rival

Gold Member
I’ve actually gone back and bought way more older ps3 and ps4 games recently to add to my collection. Lots of great stuff I missed originally.

Roberts

I bought PS5 a few months after it was released to replace my PS4 pro, bought a four or five games and then just kind of lost any interest in it, because the games just weren’t all that great. Thankfully, I had a chance to sell it for the same price and that was a great decision. Never for a second do I miss it. That said, I would have bought Helldivers 2 and Pacific Drive if I still had it. Also, if they end this gen with a bang, I might think of buying the console and all the games that look interesting.

Punished Miku

I mean, fine? But then you start saying stuff like this.
I literally said "minor," and it was directed at people that specifically tried to get in my face about it yesterday and mock me when I was just stating my opinion. Because it was just hilarious to me that literally the next day you have this thread which was exactly my point.

Last edited:

nial

I literally said "minor," and it was directed at people that specifically tried to get in my face about it yesterday and mock me when I was just stating my opinion. Because it was just hilarious to me that literally the next day you have this thread which was exactly my point.
Ok, I don't really see it, but you've got me with the 'minor' part.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm happy to be a PC player because indeed this gen sucks.
I've always had a console to play games since the N64/Dreamcast. I have the PS2/3/4, Xbox and Xbox 360, the Wii and the Switch but I don't see the benefits of owning a PS5 (let alone a Series X). The only game I was interested into was Spider-Man 2 but a friend gave me his PS5 while he was on vacancy so I've just finished the game 2 days ago.

Let's hope the second half of this gen will be legendary because if not it's gonna be the worst generation ever.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Would have to see an actual comparison of titles from each gen. Your purchasing habits are purely anecdotal. Maybe you’re old and jaded, or there’s less 3rd-party exclusives, or 3rd-party games and sequels have lost their appeal for you compared to the past?

Roxkis_ii

Games take longer to make then any of the pervious gens, so of course your not going to have as many games as last gens.

Should probably just expend your horzions. Playstation isn't the only place to play games.🤷🏽

Banjo64

cumsessed
if I'm completely honest, I think they're better (I still like those PS3 games).
But come on, you very well know that was not my point in calling out such a disingenuous post of yours. Concord is not even tentpole, ffs, it costs 40 dollars.
We already had a GOW game (AND Santa Monica's second project should release sometime this gen), and Naughty Dog is working on a new IP, so it's still the same?
Concord is the apple of Sony’s eye. SSM and ND are creatively bankrupt.

nial

If they don’t play like GoW and U/TLoU I’ll eat your cum.
>developer keeps making games in genres/formulas in which it has experience
Anyway, if TLOU was already similar enough to Uncharted, why did you include it in the first place?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
know what you're talking about; it's a tired, unfunny meme among Twitter zoomers who mostly lean into Nintendo stuff. No surprise over there.
It's not even just a Twitter thing, I see it all the time on Youtube and Discord as well. Cue all those "gaming sucks now" videos which indirectly cite the PS5 as an example of modern consoles being bad- also tha previous "ONE GAME I DON'T KNOW WHY" youtube video

Either way, why do you think all the zoomers (and as a matter of fact, most gamers) are going crazy over Nintendo but not the other 2 systems? It's not just because their games are suitable for younger audiences-we both know that kids love playing mature games to feel grown up.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Would have to see an actual comparison of titles from each gen. Your purchasing habits are purely anecdotal. Maybe you’re old and jaded, or there’s less 3rd-party exclusives, or 3rd-party games and sequels have lost their appeal for you compared to the past?

I think the comparison PS4 vs PS5 should be enough.

BTW I got Spider-Man 2 for PS5 as a digital download.

Hxj9ADl.jpeg

Banjo64

cumsessed
>developer keeps making games in genres/formulas in which it has experience
Anyway, if TLOU was already similar enough to Uncharted, why did you include it in the first place?
Because I could overlook the gameplay when the writing was strong. Now the writing is in the gutter.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are we just talking about exclusives and ignoring 3rd party games? I can say I agree that first party has been lacklustre for PS5 but 3rd party Japanese games has been great, at least for me.

AngelMuffin

Gone are the constant stream of AA games that took a few risks. Now all we get are safe AAA sequels or Indy games. We need more games like Stellar Blade and less AC, CoD, GAAS, etc.

Dr. Suchong

I couldn't give a fuck.
These days I just stare at my stupidly huge collection of games I'll probably never ever get round to playing, then feel that dull lurch in the pit of my stomach as I realise 10 more years have elapsed and I'll probably be found dead under a tidal wave of Ps2 games by a foolishly inquisitive neighbour.

nial

Because I could overlook the gameplay when the writing was strong. Now the writing is in the gutter.
Which the vastly improved gameplay in the sequel makes up for.
It's not even just a Twitter thing, I see it all the time on Youtube and Discord as well. Cue all those "gaming sucks now" videos which indirectly cite the PS5 as an example of modern consoles being bad-
Hum, yes, people use other platforms, it's still all within the same circle.
also tha previous "ONE GAME I DON'T KNOW WHY" youtube video
The one made by a /v/ user before the console was fully revealed?
Either way, why do you think all the zoomers (and as a matter of fact, most gamers) are going crazy over Nintendo but not the other 2 systems?
Because it's for the most part a very biased side of the internet, with some specific tastes in particular. It became pretty apparent when the Astro Bot (game I'm looking forward to the most, btw) trailer came out and people were screaming "HOLY SHIT, PS5 FINALLY HAS A GAME", while completely ignoring titles like Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade at the same time.
Either way, no community on Twitter or any other platform represents the actual gaming population, if that was the case, some niche visual novels would make the top 20 NPD chart, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom