• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 collection sucks compared to previous gens

Humdinger

I looked through my Game Library. I've got about 30 PS5 games. Many of them are smaller, indie titles. I also have about as many PS4 games (many of which I purchased on PS5).

Iced Arcade

Game prices. Higher game prices have people more cautious with purchases where lower prices cause people to "fuck it, I'll try it".

My PS5 is a Call of Duty: Warzone machine because that's what my friends play on.

I think I have ~10 games I bought for the PS5 since I got it in 2021. But if a game is on PS5 and PC, I go PC.

And I'll download the "free" PS Plus games each month, but I've only played a handful of those to completion.

Yeah...I'm pretty disappointed with PS5-exclusive output so far.

Skifi28

I don't think I've ever bought more games than I have this gen. My PS3 was a dust magnet in comparison.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not sure about digital because I have a lot, but as far as physical copies of games, I have 22 on PS4 and 16 on PS5 at them moment. Seems about right on track for me.

Edit:
I gave all my PS3 games away. Not really interested in revisiting much on that console.

I kept 18 PS2 games and 15 PS1 games.

Last edited:

Rockman33

I have only bought 6 games this gen on PS5. I play my 3rd party games on Xbox or PC. Next gen I’ll probably skip the PS7 and just wait for the PC ports.

K' Dash

I just finished replaying TLOU Part 2 and started Uncharted 4 after that.

That should tell you enough.

PD. I scrolled through the summer sale from top to bottom a couple days before starting Uncharted and there was not a single game that I’m interested in that I already played.

DryvBy

To each their own. I feel that's just gaming in general. There's been nothing mind blowing for a while on any system. I just turned my Xbox into a RetroArch system and the Switch's big hits lately have been remasters again. PC is just full of crap. The first party is crap for Sony right now and I kind of think that's because they keep pushing out these stupid narrative games instead of fun games. I'm sorry, fan. Modern God of War doesn't hold even a fart to older God of zwar games which were just a blast to play. These new ones aren't that fun, they're just wordy enough to feel better to some who want movie games.

Same ol G

I only bought stellar blade and ff remakes as ps5 games, elden ring, bl3, etc. are all cross gen.
Oh well, at least my son can use the ps4 for fortnite and spiderman so there's that.

AGRacing

I've been gaming since the C64 and this is the most lackluster, boring, safe console generation so far. All the excitement is gone and this is quite visible by the number of physical PS games on my shelves.

PS3: 90+ games
PS4: 64 games
PS5: 19 games

I think I only bought one physical PS5 game this entire year: Stellar Blade. The only game I'm looking forward to is the new Astrobot game. Everything else is meh ...

Is there anyone out there in GAF land who's been buying more PS5 games than during the PS4 and PS3 gen?
Check It Out Tim And Eric GIF

It’s my least favourite PlayStation generation. I’ve said it before. Been there for all of them.

I recently sold my PS5 and am in the only period of not owing a current PlayStation since 1995. I even had a VR2… don’t even get me started on that thing.

I may buy the Pro if its the best experience for GTA6 and then I’d probably pick up Astrobot for it at that point as well.

But at no point will my PS5 library be anything like the previous 4 generations.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
I am buying less games for a different reason.

Thanks to gamepass, ps plus and ms rewards I only end up spending money on ps5 exclusives, games that I really like and during sales.

For example, so far this year I only bought: FFVII Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of The Ronin, Helldivers 2, Shadow of The Erdtree, Resident Evil 4 Remake Gold Edition, Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition, Kingdoms and Castles and Vampire Survivors dlcs.

For me this gen has been great, lots of cool games, no complaints from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
I just got a PS5 after playing almost no video games for the past 2 years. The only game I have right now is Final Fantasy XVI (it’s great) and there seem to be so many good games waiting for me:

Final fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy VII rebirth
Demon’s Souls
GOW Ragnarok
Persona 3 Reload
Returnal
Alan Wake 2
Resident Evil 4
Stellar Blade
TLOU P1+2

I’m sure there’s a bunch I’m missing but I’m pumped.

kunonabi

Around the same, 60 or so for PS4 to about 40 for PS5. I don't think I even owned 10 games on the PS3. Now that was a goddamn wasteland.

Same ol G

Just this year Sony has given us one great sequel (Helldivers 2), 3 new IP's (Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Concord), Astrobot is on the day as well. One remaster (TLOU2) and one remake (Until Dawn). They literally released FFVII Rebirth as a timed exclusive as well.

You have single player games, you have platformers, RPG's, action games, multiplayer games from all sorts, etc.

Maybe some users simply don't enjoy Sony's games currently. Maybe Playstation outgrew them and they still haven't realized it. But how in the hell this is a bad year for games i'll never know.
Hahaha what is this even the reverse from people calling Nintendo childish ( outgrew kiddy games) but in this case it's the gamer who is childish.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Hahaha what is this even the reverse from people calling Nintendo childish ( outgrew kiddy games) but in this case it's the gamer who is childish.
Maybe outgrow is not the right expression to use (i'm not an english native speaker sorry). Maybe Sony's priorities aren't with gamers in the 30's and 40's which is probably what GAF is and because of that Sony's games this year aren't something they enjoy.

Same ol G

Maybe outgrow is not the right expression to use (i'm not an english native speaker sorry). Maybe Sony's priorities aren't with gamers in the 30's and 40's which is probably what GAF is and because of that Sony's games this year aren't something they enjoy.
Ow that makes a lot more sense but the way i read it was quite funny.
I'm also not a native speaker btw so no worries there.
Thanks for clarifying

Fbh

Gold Member
For people who got a Ps5 primarily as machine for exclusives I guess I can see the argument. The first party output has been pretty slow and somewhat underwhelming.
But as someone who uses his Ps5 as his primary gaming system I think this gen has been great. I've never felt I didn't have anything to play, in fact it feels like I'm constantly 4-5 releases behind as games that interest me come out at such a fast pace that I can't keep up.

This year alone I still want to play FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, SMTV, Another Crab's Treasure, Kunitsu-Gami, Pop The lost Crown, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Lorelei and the Laser Eyes and maybe V-Rising if a few friends pick it up.

To me this signifies the end of mainstream consoles outside of nintendo. Theres just no real justifying spending 500 plus on these things when there are not enough strong exclusives.

So instead of spending $499, a lot of the more casual (and/or less wealthy) players will spend $1000+ and get a PC?
Not everyone buys consoles ONLY for exclusive, in fact I'd argue the vast majority of Ps5 owners get it as a device to play all sorts of games.

You think the average PS5 owners looks at a year like 2023 with stuff like Re4R, Hogwarts Legacy, FFXVI, Armored Core, Baldur's Gate 3, Street Fighter 6, Lies of P, Dredge, Diablo 4, Jedi Survivor, Spiderman 2, Remnant 2, Alan Wake 2, Jusant, Cocoon, Like a Dragon TMHEHN, Cyberpunk DLC, etc and then goes "Oh boy this year was shit and there's basically nothing to play on my Ps5 because only 1 of those games was published by Sony" ?

Filben

Mine is bigger than ever because previously my PC was always way better both in performance and image quality than before. With PS3 era, I was already playing at 1080p@60fps on PC, when the PS4 came (even the pro) I was playing at native 1440p@60fps on PC. Always been more of a PC player and only bought exclusives on consoles.

Now the differences aren't THAT huge like they were before and I just love the Dual Sense and its haptic feedback (especially in shooters and racing games the adaptive triggers); no other controller made me feel like that and enjoy it as much as the Dual Sense does.

Plus, micro stutter wasn't such a big thing back then. Today, I tend to buy the PS5 version instead, so it's exclusives and non-exclusives alike which hadn't happened before.

Hence, a very big collection (comparatively). Steam, with 800 games, is still my biggest platform by far, though.

Approximate numbers would be:
PS3: 10 games
PS4: 15
PS5: those 15 of PS4 plus 25 PS5 versions.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
This is the first gen where I didn't get the console at launch (not by my choice) and have only purchased two games:
GOW Ragnarok
Astro Bot

However, I more irritated that the dual sense controllers have a very short left before the stick drift comes in

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Makes sense as exclusives are dying, gladly.

Yeah this is really it for me. PS4/ PS3 had defacto exclusives like persona 5 and yakuza 0. Now everything comes to Steam day one except sweet baby slop like Spiderman which I really don’t care about. Last time I used my ps5 was to play the FFXVI demo. Might move it into by bedroom and use it as a giant blu ray player.

SHA

My consoles chronicly

NES
PC
PS2
360 then PS3
PC
PS4 then Wii U and Xbox One
PC
Series X

The only thing in common is 3rd party games, I didn't even know what the heck is thing called exclusive tell I bought the ps3 and started thinking what I'm actually missing, that's when I decided to own 3 consoles at once, it didn't work for me cause unless I'm Alanah Pearce or Asmongold it would make sense, at this point I started turning back to 3rd parties cause that's the usual thing that keeps me going, and exclusives for main events, but not the usual thing to do cause I'll keep talking about them forever and I learned this the hard way, it's the truth, I don't care about exclusives, at the same time, I welcome them anytime.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

PS5 for me is probably on par with PS4.

Not sure how many vs how many though, but I do know that as I've grown older, time-management plays a big part in it as well.
I don't even have enough time to play videogames as much as when I played on PS2 for example, so obviously I'm gonna own far less games nowadays.

I mean, what's the point in creating backlogs because of FOMO?

Blame the wokes for abolishing “crunch”

It’s the reason why we’re waiting 4+ years for one game.

There would be, at the very least, twice as many new games for this generation if the sensitives didn’t cry about having to work overtime; god-forbid.
God forbid that those in charge learn how to schedule things so that workers get to spend time with their families.

In a time of rampant layoffs, the idea of expecting workers to sacrifice so much for a company is laughable.

Thank goodness the "wokes" out there are willing to fight for fair treatment and a healthy work/life balance.

Last edited:

manzo

I've been gaming since the C64 and this is the most lackluster, boring, safe console generation so far. All the excitement is gone and this is quite visible by the number of physical PS games on my shelves.

PS3: 90+ games
PS4: 64 games
PS5: 19 games

I think I only bought one physical PS5 game this entire year: Stellar Blade. The only game I'm looking forward to is the new Astrobot game. Everything else is meh ...

Is there anyone out there in GAF land who's been buying more PS5 games than during the PS4 and PS3 gen?
I’m in the same. It’s also the fact that you are getting older and the games are just absolutely the same since PS3 with better presentation.

You are playing the same games all over again.

Labadal

I looked up backloggery:

PS3: 82 (was 100+)
PS4: 76
PS5: 21

Could be better, could be worse. I expect to end up with maybe 50ish games when all is said and done.

simpatico

Gold Member
I was thinking about. If we had to sacrifice Ubi, EA, Bethesda and Blizzard so we could have From Soft; I say it’s a fair deal

Three

I'm the opposite. I'm finding there are too many games I'm interested in and not enough time to play them all nowadays. I still need to Play FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, and finish Stellar Blade. I've got a massive list/collection I'm going through one by one and while playing and spending way too much time in games like GT7 or Helldivers 2 new stuff keeps getting added. I don't think I'll be able to get to Astrobot at launch.

I haven't bought anything for my PS5 since Gran Turismo 7. I've reviewed a few things and played some PS+ stuff sure, but I don't really wanna spend money on this disappointment these days.

JackMcGunns

Just a minor "I told you so" to the people giving me shit yesterday for saying that PS gamers seem uniquely depressed and unsatisfied lately in the "industry is dying" thread. There's a thread like this every few days. 🤷‍♂️

Right? how come I didn't see posts like these as a reason why the industry is in a downturn?

A few things to blame why things suck right now:

The Global Pandemic
Massive increase in development costs
Massive increase in development time
DEI in our games

Zannegan

It's bad enough that I just never bought in to next gen. Someday I'll either pick up a mid gen refresh or finally build that PC, but I'm in no rush.

begotten

Digital I'm not sure, but Physical I don't agree.

I've bought way more games physically this gen for PS5, even if they are PS4 versions so I can get the free upgrade.

Felt like on PS4 I was only buying first party stuff, and a couple of third-party outliers like Red Dead 2 and TW3.

This gen, probably because of the pandemic and influx of releases, feels like I'm buying everything. Publishers are slashing prices a lot quicker too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom