• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanC

I don't remember exactly when I got into the show. I know it was Joel era and I remember Pod People being one of the earliest memories of it. I was 13 or so and loved staying up late watching it. I didn't have a ton of friends so never really went anywhere, so the SOL was kind of my friends as I watched the movie with them. I did as it said: turned down the lights and usually had a Dr. Pepper and some Cheetos around.

It became routine for me on the weekends. Usually play Super Nintendo and level up my characters in some Japanese RPGs all day while listening to Weezer or The Smashing Pumpkins, eat dinner and then sit for some MST3k. I fell off when it originally went to Sci-fi because my provider didn't carry that channel, but after a year or so they did and I got back on board though by that time I was thinking about college and had a job so it was a little more difficult. I made up for it with the repeats.

I fell in love with that comedic style and riffing on things. I still do it to this day. MST3k is probably the biggest comedy influence on me as a result. I still watch the show regularly, usually at night as I'm going to sleep on my ipad or something.

Throw another tweet on the fire:

je_zps9u38aloj.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
While I feel for and understand the alumni's issues with Joel and the kickstarter, at the same time the best come-back is to be successful.

Start your own riffing projects, let me give you money via the internet.

Sliver

I can't really tell if this is good or bad. I thought Weinstein was involved in some way for the reboot.

Yeah, I believe he helped out with the newest Turkey Day at the very least. He could be talking about Joel/the reboot/other alumnis/something else entirely unrelated.

And honestly that's the thing that annoys me with all these tweets...they could be interpreted many ways, and they know it. So they tweet out this vague bullshit so people look at them for however long...then they do it again. Yawn.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I first saw the series when they showed Alien from LA on MTV. I actually enjoyed that one a lot. When it went to sci fi I was finally able to wstch it regularly which was great.

Yeah, I believe he helped out with the newest Turkey Day at the very least. He could be talking about Joel/the reboot/other alumnis/something else entirely unrelated.

And honestly that's the thing that annoys me with all these tweets...they could be interpreted many ways, and they know it. So they tweet out this vague bullshit so people look at them for however long...then they do it again. Yawn.

They're more likely to be interpreted as negative which may discourage people from donating.

I find it very frustrating. If Joel truly screwed them over in some way, as a fan, I'd like to know.

I just don't think he did and it's mostly sour grapes.

bengraven

I have to admit, I have an even more boring version of my first experience.

Late 90s and some channel had recently picked up the rights to the show (Comedy Central maybe, though I keep thinking it was Mtv briefly) and did two episode marathons every night. This caused a bit of a resurgence in the brand and I read an article in the paper about how the show was made, that it was a Minnesotan thing (anything local was awesome), and the story about Joel watching shitty movies in hotels.

I really loved the movie bits. I got to see classic sci fi films and hear funny jokes during them - win/win. I have to admit, to this day though? I'm not a fan of the filler stuff. Even as a kid I found it really dry to the point of not-funny (and I like dry humor) and while I liked Joel, I swore he was sleeping through them. I also found Mike annoying.

So I'm not really a MSTie, though I am? I'm excited for Jonah, I'm a big fan of his, and I love Felicia and Patton and the whole behind the scenes crew (Rothfuss? Seriously? And...urrrp...Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon? We're in the perfect timeline. Wub a dub dub). So I'm donating because it might be, to me, my perfect MST3K.

Edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Mtv. I was an avid viewer back then, especially the late night cartoons and tv shows and they marketed the shit out of getting MST3K for that brief period.

I wonder if they're trying hard to play nice because they know fans wants more MST3k and don't want to shit on the fans' parade. They're happy for the fans, but pissed at Joel.

Enk

makes good threads.
Just put in my pledge (I usually wait until the last minute on these things).

I don't remember exactly what the first episode of MST3k I saw was, but I remembered that after my parents got divorced I ended up moving into an apartment with my mother. This would've been around 1994. There we ended up getting cable for the first time and I caught the show on Comedy Central by random chance. Eventually it became a thing my mother and I watched almost every Saturday.

When I was a junior in high school I ended up working at Suncoast Video and met a really cool coworker who was also a big fan. He ended up moving out of town about a year later but before he did he sold me his entire collection (the whole gamut) of MST3Ks he taped off the network for only $30. It had every episode in there (excluding the KTMA ones), and I continued adding to the collection until the sci-fi series ended. Still have that box to this day.

Then cut to today where I'm still following Rifftrax and the MST3k crew religiously, and even found a cool lady who likes to watch them with me just as much.

Blader

Throw another tweet on the fire:

je_zps9u38aloj.jpg

He should keep biting it.

Because he's been struggling for so long to keep his involvement a secret, clearly!

I can't help but be curious about all this, everything I've read painted Mallon as the Big Bad. Maybe we'll never know.

I think Stinkles probably nailed it with his theory: the cast never got royalties or ownership out of MST3K, finally did with CT/Rifftrax, and then Joel closed up shop on the former to reboot MST3K...and without Trace, Frank or Josh as main cast members.

Mike, Bill and Kevin are probably less salty about it because they have Rifftrax to themselves, and don't stand to lose anything from Joel shuttering CT for the sake of MST. Although I suppose Bill at least is still kind of salty.

Sanjuro

Wait, does the marathon/telethon start at 5EST?

I'm confused. I'm just seeing bits and pieces without a solid location for information.

I'm confused. I'm just seeing bits and pieces without a solid location for information.

I saw this pop up on the official MST3k Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/922730971116080/

This is it!

Our Kickstarter campaign to #BringBackMST3K ends TONIGHT at 10 PM PST, and we're counting down our last 8 hours in style.

At 2 PM, join Joel Hodgson for the final two selections in our week-long DOUBLE FEATURE COUNTDOWN: his two all-time favorite episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Then...

At 5 PM, tune in for...

THE MST3K FINAL COUNTDOWN
A Livestreaming Telethon w/ Joel Hodgson & Friends

Featuring guest hosts Paul and Storm, future MST3K cast members Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, and Jonah Ray, a ton of special guests, live music and magic, special last-minute rewards, and more -- it's going to be EPIC.

Tune in live, or share the experience with MSTies near you at one of tonight's #BringBackMST3K MEETUPS! You can find a complete list at http://mst3k.com/meetups.

Looks like the times are in PST on the event page, so I think the 2PM and 5PM referenced above are 5PM and 8PM EST.

mclem

As I understand it:

Double feature from 2 PST
Telethon starts at 5 PST, immediately after the double feature ends.

The confusion coming from the fact that 2 PST = 5 EST

Okay, got it! So, basically...

Episodes like we have had all week - 2PM PST / 5PM EST
Final Telethon - 5PM PST / 8PM EST

Yup! I'm excited because this looks to be the first time all week I'll be able to watch the episodes they'll be streaming.

Of course,I wouldn't miss the telethon either. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun with a lot of people showing up.

Very very close now when you add in the known add on money. Although I still hope we get to the 5.5m on Kickstarter alone just so MST can have that extra feather in it's cap of being the most funded TV/Movie project on Kickstarter.

Sanjuro

I'm definitely getting some late coffee. New job had been konking me out early. Been missing out on most of the fun this week, but I'm all hands on deck for this evening! Excited.

I hope it ends with Weird Al giving Mr. Big the rest of the Kickstarter monies.

All the passive aggressive stuff from the old cast is starting to piss me off. Either it's pettiness at being replaced, in which case they need to grow the hell up, or some kinda shady stuff went down with Joel and this reboot ahead of time, in which case the people donating money to the campaign have a right to all the facts.

It will be soul crushing if it falls just short of it and we end up with only 9.

I'm pretty sure somebody said Joel would be keeping the add-on store open after the KS formally ends to pick up the last funds needed, though it won't need it as by all metrics up to this point they should squeeze past 5.5m before the end.

All the passive aggressive stuff from the old cast is starting to piss me off. Either it's pettiness at being replaced, in which case they need to grow the hell up, or some kinda shady stuff went down with Joel and this reboot ahead of time, in which case the people donating money to the campaign have a right to all the facts.

Correct. Exactly how I feel.

Really unfortunate for a show that means so much to me. I'm trusting Joel until I get some clarity.

Okay, I'm going to get a haircut. Don't let anything cool happen while I'm gone.

Is it a complicated haircut? Do you blame your parents? Speaking of that episode, it is probably my favorite Joel episode. So many good lines from that movie:

"I liberated France while you were in the bathroom"
"Welcome to my swingin' church son!"
"I don't get the holy spirit, is it a bird?"

Josh and Frank and Trace would not have pettiness about being replaced themselves. They had already been replaced earlier. Mary Jo, maybe, because she was never really replaced, but even so, I doubt that.

I'm sticking with the "We had a good thing going with Cinematic Titanic then Joel jumped ship to reboot MST3K and left us high and dry" theory that I've been intimating for a while.

Sanjuro

Josh and Frank and Trace would not have pettiness about being replaced themselves. They had already been replaced earlier. Mary Jo, maybe, because she was never really replaced, but even so, I doubt that.

I'm sticking with the "We had a good thing going with Cinematic Titanic then Joel jumped ship to reboot MST3K and left us high and dry" theory that I've been intimating for a while.

CT wasn't a shop that would have been kept afloat in any significant manner though. I loved it, but even Rifftrax has a limited audience, and CT had maybe a quarter of that one at best interested.

SeanC

Well I'll be tuning in for the livestream telethon later. Until then I'm going to take a walk over to Kirk Douglas's house and try to kill him with a forklift.

While the death of CT might be part of it, I think it might have more to do with the offer Joel made. It might have been too low for most of the old staff to work with, considering they would most likely only be brought back on as writers. Trace, Frank, and gang are getting older and Joel really did need to bring on a fresh cast. It might also have to do with Joel getting the rights back and not offering to split royalties with the original staff. If that is the case I can understand the old staff being sour but it is up to Joel as the rights holder to split up any funds as he chooses. I know Mallon screwed everyone over but I don't think Joel should have to make up for it now that the show is being brought back to life.

Of course this is all speculation and there could be a whole can of worms waiting to be opened that we all know nothing about.

I don't doubt there are some legit grievences, but them holding back, likely to see how popular the reboot will be and see what they can get from it if it is, ultimately makes me not care about their their issues with Joel or the reboot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
CT stopped releasing stuff online much and went to just live shows. Living in Denver, where they never came, even as a fan of their work I just stopped caring. I can't imagine it was ever that successful.

Norfair

My how I found MST3K story: Around 92 or so I was still in technical school and living at home. I had heard rumblings of the Joel vs Mike debate in a now defunct PC gaming magazine but didn't know what the show was. Then one week I was reading the TV listings in the newspaper and saw this one hour show called Mystery Science Theater Hour on at 3 in the morning. I taped it and was hooked.

When my younger sister started college later in the year I found out she had free cable in the dorms so every week when she came home I'd supply her with two new 8 or 10 hour tapes to record a weeks shows for me.

Eventually when I got a real job I convinced my parents to get cable by pretty much footing the bill for half of it.

I did get heavy into the trading scene and managed to get an almost full set of tapes. Even some KTMA episodes (I do not recommend them.) Taping trading was always a weird thing. I'd steal my parents VCR for the week and daisy chain them together. Press play on one VCR, record on the other and then watch MST3K for the next 6 hours. One time I think I traded a guy like 20 full tapes. Ah the bachelor life.

When it went to SciFi Channel, they set up a website called Caption This! It would take a postage stamp screen shot of their live feed (like 320x480 or smaller) and let you put a name and caption under it then post it to a webpage that showed 12 total captions. A weird little community grew up around it and I got to know some of the regulars. People even set up their own websites that would host the best captions people put up. I wonder if I could find some still...

Because he's been struggling for so long to keep his involvement a secret, clearly!

I can't help but be curious about all this, everything I've read painted Mallon as the Big Bad. Maybe we'll never know.

He left in season 3 too didn't he?

I wonder if Joel bailed on CT for this specifically and that's what they are upset about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom