• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

I don't think that's a lock, just a suggestion someone here made. Joel said he has a movie in kind but didn't say what the movie is.

Yeah, that was me; just the first thing I thought of in terms of terrible Christmas movies, but still with a charm of its own. Plus it'd be nice to do a double-take at seeing Mike TheCoolPerson, Lofty Sugden and Gloria Beaumont on MST3k, after doing a similar one at spotting Alf Garnett in an early episode.

Tobor

I don't see any reason to be cautious. Every bit of news so far has been really great. I mean Jerry Seinfeld on MST3K?!

Oh and I realize I didn't PM my donation amount yet.

I meant cautious with money in general, not about the overall project. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was trying to get a total to see how much GAF donated.

It's certainly not required...just for fun.

UPDATE: Nothing new...just Joel encouraging people to ask friends to donate and to up your pledge if you're able to.
Have you gone back through the thread? If not I'm sure there's a ton in there.

mclem

The rights issues for the movies to riff would be exponentially bigger

Actually, I wonder what rights would be required to just add a, well, riff track (hey, there's something in that name!) to an existing movie on Netflix. Not that it fits with this, because the theming is key, but it's something that's cropped up in other thoughts on movie riffing.

daveo42

Banned
The rights issues for the movies to riff would be exponentially bigger

I'm sure there's plenty of fodder on there already to choose from, but you're right. Netflix needing to secure licenses to stream movies they don't currently have and adjust licenses that MST3K would use that Netflix already has could potentially be a nightmare.

Actually, I wonder what rights would be required to just add a, well, riff track (hey, there's something in that name!) to an existing movie on Netflix. Not that it fits with this, because the theming is key, but it's something that's cropped up in other thoughts on movie riffing.

I'm guessing since it's a movie that could be streamed as many times as you want, there would bound to be push back in some form from rights holders. It's a bit different with RiffTrax because you already own the movie they riff. At that point they don't care and they aren't altering the source material in any way.

Blader

I'm sure that would piss off virtually every content provider they're partnered with.

lednerg

$5M for Kickstarter alone. WOOOO!!!

Just 75 grand to go for 12 eps, which will likely happen before the telethon begins.

And they've already beaten yesterday's numbers.

mclem

Ehhh I wouldn't get too hyped yet. 5.5 is locked though

It's probably right on the brink of 5.5M already when you include addons. As I said, they're not going to reach the goal during the Telethon - they're going to get there before it even starts!

Edit: Also of note: Per Kicktraq, today has now surpassed yesterday.

daveo42

Banned
It's probably right on the brink of 5.5M already when you include addons. As I said, they're not going to reach the goal during the Telethon - they're going to get there before it even starts!

Less than $70k and rising fast. Money just keeps pouring in.

Edit: I'm a madman. I ended up throwing in an extra $100 for the signed poster.

Sliver

I can't believe this is going to happen. To be completely honest, I thought there was no chance of getting to a full season.

Yeah it's been pretty awesome. I was sure it would fizzle out way before 5.5 but the announcements have been crazy. Now we just have to wait and see if it will be any good.

mclem

Moving even faster now. $50K to go for 5.5.

Possibly less, of course. It's been a little while since the last addon total update.

Edit: That came at the "Less than twelve hours to go" update.

Edit2: The MST3k theme loops quite nicely.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
12 episodes may snowball the amount.
Damnit, do I push the button?

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I, like most of you I think, am shocked that we're getting 12 new episodes. This is amazing. I honestly wish I could throw MORE money at them. This is the greatest Kickstarter I've ever backed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom