• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they may not be psyched with the direction Joel (and Shout Factory) are going with the new show, with it not being a reunion/nostalgia show. There's an obvious desire for the new show to be a bit of it's own thing and to not just appeal to old fans but to bring in new young fans and to perhaps establish it for several seasons. The parts the old MSTies were offered probably amounted to bit cameos and they likely weren't too happy about that.

I think they may not be psyched with the direction Joel (and Shout Factory) are going with the new show, with it not being a reunion/nostalgia show. There's an obvious desire for the new show to be a bit of it's own thing and to not just appeal to old fans but to bring in new young fans and to perhaps establish it for several seasons. The parts the old MSTies were offered probably amounted to bit cameos and they likely weren't too happy about that.
It has to bring in new viewers to last beyond season 11. There is not two ways about it in my eyes.

Tobor

All we know is that Joel made "an offer" to everyone to come back after the Kickstarter was already under way.

We don't know the details of the offer. We don't know why he waited until after the Kickstarter was already under way to contact them.

We really don't have enough info to go on here. I'd love it if Mommy and Daddy would stop fighting, though. It's a sour note on what should be a happy day.

mclem

At the risk of reading too much into it, it sounds ultimately like the cast just feels slighted at being replaced. Though Bill also says he thinks he's too old to voice Crow anyway, so I don't know.

Unless that was sarcasm, and he's saying that he doesn't think he's too old for it, but Joel does.

Sliver

I feel like Seinfeld has enough money to fund this show forever. I'm really starting to think there's no way we won't get 12 episodes.

Tobor

I feel like Seinfeld has enough money to fund this show forever. I'm really starting to think there's no way we won't get 12 episodes.

Seinfeld could fund this show for a decade with what he would consider to be pocket change.

There's probably enough cash under his sofa cushions to bankroll a season.

Would he though?

Sanjuro

Joel's offer probably has no significant $ cameo, or $ writing, or ongoing $ royalties, or $ LA, or giving $ to new people.

Or Joel pushed them down the stairs.

Frenden

Banned
Joel has been the easiest going, nicest, humblest, and most open to outside ideas and others' input of any client in my nearly twenty years of doing this work.

Almost every suggestion I made had a "yes and" style response. It was the easiest collaborative process I've ever had.

I couldn't be happier to see this succeed for him.

Tom_Cody

Joel has been the easiest going, nicest, humblest, and most open to outside ideas and others' input of any client in my nearly twenty years of doing this work.

Almost every suggestion I made had a "yes and" style response. It was the easiest collaborative process I've ever had.

Awesome to hear.

Sanjuro

Alright, now give us the dirt.

Is he an Aqua Velva guy?

Coming up on 4.5 million on Kickstarter alone, which means they did about 100k in 6 hours.

A long way to go to 5.5, but that seems like a good pace!

Tansut

You know how some people just give off that warm, fuzzy, gooey feeling of just being good? Joel's someone I've always had that vibe with even though I've never actually met him in person or interacted with him in any shape or form.

I started at $0 and I'm at $75 mostly because of the way the launch is being handled. It seems like Joel really has his ducks in a row here between announcements and rewards and final stretch goals, etc.

I feel for the old cast completely, but, there's also not enough to go on other than hard feelings. The fact that they need to go to this length to get a reboot shows how small the pie to carve up is to begin with...

jr8V1V7.gif
"I can feel his eyes on me..."

God I love Eegah!

SeanC

Not sure if anyone here is watching the livestream, but it's Warrior of the Lost World starring the Paper Chase guy. One of my favorites. Talking motorcycle. Donald Pleasence. Fred Williamson randomly in there. Director of Kickboxer. Good times.

HylianTom

Banned
Not sure if anyone here is watching the livestream, but it's Warrior of the Lost World starring the Paper Chase guy. One of my favorites. Talking motorcycle. Donald Pleasence. Fred Williamson randomly in there. Director of Kickboxer. Good times.

The Jimmy Carter jokes.. my god..

Today's total was $186,609. The final 2 days now need to raise 70.7% of the first 2 days ($347,456 and $568,179) in order to reach $5.5m. The average per hour for the 50 remaining hours must be greater than or equal to $18,313.

Including add-ons, today's total thus far is now at $347,905 with 2.75 hours to spare. As it's right on the target pace, this is increasingly looking like 12 episodes will be met.

Yeah it's a pretty great episode.

SeanC

Awesome back-to-back tonight. Like the future theme. Space Mutiny is always on the "Best of" lists that float around out there.

SeanC

Yes it absolutely is.

That's the thing about MST3K. There are at least 20 or 30 episodes that are absolute greats. Double that many that are pretty fantastic. And there are very few episodes I would say are not worth watching.

There's only three episodes I have trouble getting through. Well, from Season 2 and on, at least. Hamlet (because Riffing Shakespeare seems weird to me, and it's shot horribly), Alien from LA (because of Ireland's voice) and The Phantom Planet (I'm not sure why...I just find the movie so incredibly dull even making fun of it doesn't help).

I love how in Space Mutiny you can see all the windows in the 'engine room' that's really a factory, and I love that Mike and bots never mention it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Know what would have been a neat add-on.

A "Season Pass" version of the classic episodes. Maybe charge $300 or something, but you get all available episodes, plus a download of all future episodes licensed by Shout.

I wanted to wait till the end, but don't like the idea of forgetting about backing in time, so I went ahead and put in my $85 pledge.

Woohoo!

YOU DIE JOEL, is something I WON'T be saying, because this kickstarter has been a great success! Can't wait to tune in tomorrow after work for the telethon! (I hope Ortega is taking calls)

B.K.

I would have never thought they would get $5.5 million, but it looks like it's going to happen with the add-on money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom