• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a lot of fun at this last night. Agreed that Trace and Frank killed it, although Frank seemed the least relaxed on the stage. Really hoping they get some traction out of their 'Mads' project with this exposure as they proved they still got it.

Also, Jonah was great - really gave the reboot another shot of confidence in my book.

Having not kept up with Riff Trax intimately, I hadn't seen the two shorts they reused - but I was surprised to hear they weren't even new jokes? I mean, they were great shorts, especially the 'Grasses' one - but seems a little odd for a 10 year celebration to bring out old material.

Regardless - there really wasn't a stinker in the entire batch of shorts, and everyone (save Frank) seemed to be having a very fun time up there.

Looking forward to watching this again when the download comes up!

RetroMG

Had a lot of fun at this last night. Agreed that Trace and Frank killed it, although Frank seemed the least relaxed on the stage. Really hoping they get some traction out of their 'Mads' project with this exposure as they proved they still got it.

Also, Jonah was great - really gave the reboot another shot of confidence in my book.

Having not kept up with Riff Trax intimately, I hadn't seen the two shorts they reused - but I was surprised to hear they weren't even new jokes? I mean, they were great shorts, especially the 'Grasses' one - but seems a little odd for a 10 year celebration to bring out old material.

Regardless - there really wasn't a stinker in the entire batch of shorts, and everyone (save Frank) seemed to be having a very fun time up there.

Looking forward to watching this again when the download comes up!

Yeah, I kept getting the vibe that Frank and Trace weren't super comfortable up there. Joel was weird, too. I kept getting the feeling like he was a little bit embarrassed. (Although it might have been the Minnesota, "Oh, no please don't make a fuss over all this..")

It also could have entirely been me projecting things through a movie screen onto people I've never met.

And yeah, unfortunately when they do a collection of shorts like that, they usually end up re-doing one or more shorts that are already available. However, with different performers it usually does have a bit of a different feel. (They did a live version of Perc Pop and Sprinkle with Cole Stratton and Janet Varney at SF Sketchfest 2013 that's somehow way better than the original, even though the jokes are the same - it's all in the delivery.)

Yeah, I kept getting the vibe that Frank and Trace weren't super comfortable up there. Joel was weird, too. I kept getting the feeling like he was a little bit embarrassed. (Although it might have been the Minnesota, "Oh, no please don't make a fuss over all this..")

It also could have entirely been me projecting things through a movie screen onto people I've never met.

For Frank, I wonder if it had more to do with it being live and needing to keep it PG-13 in tone. The banter before their sketch, Bill even called out how Frank was visibly holding back form making an off color joke. Just a thought on something else is could have been beyond 'behind the scenes drama'. (Although it also totally could have been that as Trace and Frank both seemed the most vocally upset about the kickstarter)

As for Joel, I'd agree - but I took it exactly how you positioned it. He's never seemed very comfortable being the center of attention in this regard. Even during the Telethon for the Kickstarter he seemed a little embarrassed over all the fuss. Totally seemed like a Midwestern reaction to me and again not something more nefarious.

Vol. XIV has been discontinued. Better get it while you can.

Why was it cancelled, and what other volumes are in danger of being cancelled? I just started collecting this show and was made aware of the fact that some of the earlier volumes were yanked.

The rights to Soultaker expired.

What other films have expired since their original airing? What other films are in danger of expiring -- whether they're on DVD or not? What a pain in the ass, to have created a popular tv show that can't be released on the home market without legal strings attached.

Eegah

Looks like backers should be getting their rewards order form this week. From Joel's account on the Kickstarter page:

Creator Joel Hodgson about 12 hours ago
Hello, everyone.
As promised, our team is working to send out all of the reward order forms, starting today. A test round will go out to a few hundred people this evening. Most people will receive them tomorrow and Thursday, and Joel will send an official backer update with more details in the next 24-48 hours giving additional instructions.
Thanks for your patience. Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend!
- Team MST3K

B.K.

I don't like that they're
changing the spaghetti ball to a more accurate moon. The mock up looked a bit silly. Joel said there's a story reason for the change. I wonder if Kinga and Son of TV's Frank are sending Johan and the bots movies from the moon.

Sliver

Should be noted that it's a mockup, and a real version is being created by some company. I love the old one but it makes sense to switch it up.

The new logo mockup looks great. Keeping the (shriveled) lettering intact is essential.

The real news today was this: "Rewards involving the new season, like DVDs/downloads, will ship next year." It's not clear if any will be shown in 2016.

kulapik

I don't like that they're
changing the spaghetti ball to a more accurate moon. The mock up looked a bit silly. Joel said there's a story reason for the change. I wonder if Kinga and Son of TV's Frank are sending Johan and the bots movies from the moon.

The kickstarter video where Kinga was revealed, as well as her suit, seem to imply that this season is going to take a meta approach, where Kinga has seen that Forrester's selling of the experiments to the public were successful, but aren't anymore, so she tries to bring it back, sending Jonah and the robots back in the Satellite so they can make new episodes. I guess the new moon is part of a rebranding of sort they she does to keep it modern or something like that.

If you don't know already, backer surveys were sent out for rewards. I feel like we were supposed to get more than 12 classic episodes thanks to some of the bonuses, but I don't honestly recall. Does anyone else remember what all the bonuses were on the 85 dollar tier?

Sliver

Yeah I got mine, here are the four available digital episodes so far:

CBrErM6.jpg

MooMilk2929

I don't remember where I got that pic. I think I googled it. I'm not hosting it anyway. I'll remove it tho. I wasn't a kickstart backer so I had no way of knowing that.

And yeah, unfortunately when they do a collection of shorts like that, they usually end up re-doing one or more shorts that are already available. However, with different performers it usually does have a bit of a different feel. (They did a live version of Perc Pop and Sprinkle with Cole Stratton and Janet Varney at SF Sketchfest 2013 that's somehow way better than the original, even though the jokes are the same - it's all in the delivery.)

Any time i've seen Frank live, he always seems a bit withdrawn or kinda not into it. At con appearances too he just kinda is very quiet or awkward

SeanC

I'm living dangerously...

I went for the Mystery Gift instead of the Blu-Ray set...

You're a madman.

But I'm on the fence. Go with the guarantee thing I want or risk losing something that is unique? I suppose I can buy the box set later on ($100 is a bit steep on the add-ons at the moment) whereas the mystery thing may end up a cool collectible that you'll never see again.

Can anyone speculate on the manner and quality of films that will be tackled in the upcoming season? Will Joel be able to use the old instructional shorts from the 1950's in this new reboot that's going to incorperate HD? Could he go with Plan 9 from Outer Space, given its public domain status, or would potential network execs try to steer him more toward contemporary fare?

Can anyone speculate on the manner and quality of films that will be tackled in the upcoming season? Will Joel be able to use the old instructional shorts from the 1950's in this new reboot that's going to incorperate HD? Could he go with Plan 9 from Outer Space, given its public domain status, or would potential network execs try to steer him more toward contemporary fare?
He said that by design, the films will be "newer" with "maybe one" from the 50s/60s.

zigg

But I'm on the fence. Go with the guarantee thing I want or risk losing something that is unique? I suppose I can buy the box set later on ($100 is a bit steep on the add-ons at the moment) whereas the mystery thing may end up a cool collectible that you'll never see again.
I was sure I needed the Blu-Rays originally, but now I'm not so sure.

I forget, was there something unique about the Kickstarter Blu-Ray set that wouldn't be in a later mass-market version?

Machine

I was sure I needed the Blu-Rays originally, but now I'm not so sure.

I forget, was there something unique about the Kickstarter Blu-Ray set that wouldn't be in a later mass-market version?

What's the final number of movies? 12? Seems like the set would be cheaper to buy now rather than buying the movies as four-packs later (unless you patiently wait for sales).

butalala

It's odd that you guys say that. I was at the State Theater where the show was filmed and it was my impression that Frank literally commanded the room and had it eating out of the palm of his hand.

Eegah

Found this video from Movie Bob this morning, and thought I'd share:

Is MST3K Still Relevant?

I've also wondered how a new generation will react to the show. I feel like the kickstarter may have been successful due to a moderate amount of big fans willing to spend a lot of money and may just show how much old fans miss the show. I don't know that it's success is indicative of how the show will due with new viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom