• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a license thing. They have to get the video release rights for the movies. I don't think any full season has been released yet. Though they're probably really close on some of the Sci-fi era seasons.
I really want a season 8 box set. And to be able to watch it in order. Maybe some day.

Eegah

It's a license thing. They have to get the video release rights for the movies. I don't think any full season has been released yet. Though they're probably really close on some of the Sci-fi era seasons.

If I'm not mistaken, seasons 1 and 7 are the closest to having their entire catalogs released. They are both missing one episode: The Crawling Hand and Escape 2000.

Edit: I stand corrected. Damn solo episode releases.

MooMilk2929

I really want a season 8 box set. And to be able to watch it in order. Maybe some day.

Theres a complete (except for pilot season) series torrent. I watched all of Season 8 that way. It was good to finally get the whole story of that season. But I'd prefer to own the show legally too. It wouldn't be in youtube quality too.

MooMilk2929

I liked MST3k and all, but the jokes are probably gonna get alot better with that writer. I hope they mimic the style of the old series jokes somewhat so it ain't that outta place.

gabbo

I liked MST3k and all, but the jokes are probably gonna get alot better with that writer. I hope they mimic the style of the old series jokes somewhat so it ain't that outta place.

I just hope they don't go for topical humour too much. I liked the sort of timeless quality a lot of the jokes have because they either make reference to things so old as to not matter culturally or be so obscure (Minnesota people they happen to know) that they come off as absurd

I just hope they don't go for topical humour too much. I liked the sort of timeless quality a lot of the jokes have because they either make reference to things so old as to not matter culturally or be so obscure (Minnesota people they happen to know) that they come off as absurd
They did A LOT of topical jokes.

As a side thing, since I didn't feel like making a new thread, but does anyone else have issues with audio when it comes to Rifftrax videos directly from them? Sounds like their voices have a lot of noise to it. I can watch almost anything else and be fine. But... I guess the wonkey riff audio quality is normal? Like I'm listening to Cyber Tracker and their voices, while I can understand them completely, it's almost like they are way too close the mics, like some people on CS GO or something.

Which MST box sets are good for behind the scenes featurettes? I have 20 episodes in mind that I'd like to have on DVD, but I'd also be willing to invest in interview packages and what not from the cast and writers.

Also, when is the new season dropping and on what streaming network? And does anyone expect any meaningful upgrades to the puppets, props, and sets. I recall a concept photo of Crow with legs. Any chance the robots will be more articulated and detailed? I'm thinking along the lines of Klingons during the original series era vs. Klingons from Next Generation, for example. Maybe Gypsy gets an actual body. Have they actually established that she had a body during the original run, or are we to assume that she was just a head connected to a rubber pipe?

zigg

Which MST box sets are good for behind the scenes featurettes? I have 20 episodes in mind that I'd like to have on DVD, but I'd also be willing to invest in interview packages and what not from the cast and writers.
The Manos SE has a lot of stuff. I have yet to get into it, so I can't say how good it is, but there's two discs' worth.

Also, when is the new season dropping and on what streaming network? And does anyone expect any meaningful upgrades to the puppets, props, and sets. I recall a concept photo of Crow with legs. Any chance the robots will be more articulated and detailed? I'm thinking along the lines of Klingons during the original series era vs. Klingons from Next Generation, for example. Maybe Gypsy gets an actual body. Have they actually established that she had a body during the original run, or are we to assume that she was just a head connected to a rubber pipe?

They haven't really said anything about most of this. The old bots will likely be about the same probably, but there does look to be some new robots being added possibly from what we seen.

They haven't really said anything about most of this. The old bots will likely be about the same probably, but there does look to be some new robots being added possibly from what we seen.

How long will the new format be? Will it retain its 2 hour running time per episode, or will it skew toward 90 minutes?

What back catalog of films will they be riffing on?

And with these new robots, does that mean they might rotate episode participation per episode? Also, would that not place an addition strain on the budget of having to pay for extra puppeteers?

Where can I find additional info on the sets? I'd like to know if their sets will retain the same modest budget props or if they'll do serious upgrades similar to MST3K the movie.

gabbo

How long will the new format be? Will it retain its 2 hour running time per episode, or will it skew toward 90 minutes?

What back catalog of films will they be riffing on?

And with these new robots, does that mean they might rotate episode participation per episode? Also, would that not place an addition strain on the budget of having to pay for extra puppeteers?

Where can I find additional info on the sets? I'd like to know if their sets will retain the same modest budget props or if they'll do serious upgrades similar to MST3K the movie.

I think the new bots are just meant to be around the SoL, like Gypsy. Never in the theater with Crow, Jonah, and Servo

Blader

Joel has said he won't reveal the movies before the show airs.

And each episode will probably be 90 minutes, right? Unless it's airing on TV with commercials included, but I'm guessing it'll be online distribution.

I think the new bots are just meant to be around the SoL, like Gypsy. Never in the theater with Crow, Jonah, and Servo

Any chance they'll transition Jonah into the main role the way that Mike Nelson was grandfathered in when Joel left the show?

gabbo

Any chance they'll transition Jonah into the main role the way that Mike Nelson was grandfathered in when Joel left the show?

That hasn't been revealed as of yet I don't think. I don't see how you transition, on screen, from Mike to Jonah, given that Mike ended up back on Earth, and Nelson is still not necessarily involved in the new episodes. I would imagine either the pilot, or theme song will clue us in as to how he got there.

This may be putting the cart before the horse, but could this upcoming season be used as a forthcoming Thanksgiving marathon in 2017? Thirty hours of crappy movies was usually the status quo back in the early 1990's. I read that some of the old cast would be making special cameos in this revival. I always loved the host segments and only recently was able to watch the Thanksgiving clips in their entirety on youtube. Turkey Day Marathon 2017 would be the best vehicle to mix the old with the new. I always loved Trey, Frank, and Joel, and wouldn't mind seeing them pop in every now and then. I bust a gut watching the Jack Perkins and Mr. B Natural skits as well.

Can anyone explain why the Turkey Day host segments had such an inconsistent timeline of production? There was 1991 and 1992, and then the next couple of years were padded out with Adam West monologues in 1993 and a contest winner in 1994, before the MST3K team were able to resume their proper host segments in 1995. I loved 1991 and 1995, and wished that more were produced.

Also, what are the chances that these new episodes will be released on bluray/dvd? I'm getting really excited and interested for this.

So Joel sent a new update. Not much in terms of news:

-Close to finishing the first pass on all fourteen scripts for the new season.

-Details on rewards available next week...which I feel like they've been saying for months

zigg

I'm honestly getting tired of these non-updates. Some pictures from the writing room would've been nice and much appreciated!

Blader

Joel's updates usually have the opposite effect on me. Instead of thinking how cool it is that a new season is finally underway and progressing, I come away feeling like he just took the money and ran.

How much did it cost to produce each of the seasons during the Comedy Central and Sci Fi Network eras. And were their cancellations due to escalating costs? And what concessions will need to be made in order to deliver a top notch season? Is there any chance that they'll hold another kickstarter fundraiser in the future?

And is the end game to hopefully attract an actual cable network? Would Spike TV work? I've been off the grid for many years now, so I have no personal knowledge on what networks are the go to hubs for television programming. Would MST3K work with Comedy Central or Cartoon Network? Again, I haven't seen either for ages.

And what got this campaign up and running in the first place? I know Joel was holding a few Turkey Day segments over the past few years, but I was always under the impression that everything was legally tied up.

DiscoJer

Shout Factory bought out Jim Mallon (the voice of Gypsy and the co-owner of Best Brains), clearing the way for a new series.

Realistically, Shout! Factory could probably finance new episodes of MST3K itself, but I think they want to get it picked up on something and though KS would be good publicity. And the money probably didn't hurt.

As to why, well, they were already releasing the old episodes and I believe they have been trying to get into the production of original content, not just selling old stuff

That's amazing. I always assumed that Joel had other aspirations after he left MST3K in 1993, but apparently he left due to creative conflict, and didn't want to have a situation similar to what happened to Castle. But how long after MST3K folded were there serious talks of reviving it? How well were Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic doing. and were they proving successful enough for Shout Factory to take notice?

The impression I've always gotten from Shout Factory is that they specialize in cult retro properties from the 1970's and 80's. I never got the impression that they were about producing their own original content.

I'm looking to start collecting the volume box sets of MST3K in drips and drabs. What I'd like to know is which box sets should I prioritize in my early investment?

My must have episodes:

Pod People
Robot Holocaust
Moon Zero Two
Wild Rebels
The Gamera films
The Godzilla films
The Incredible Melting Man
Manos: Hands of Fate
Bride of the Monster
Time of the Apes
Master Ninja 1 and 2
Alien Fugitive 1 and 2
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

I know the Godzilla films have been yanked from the shelves, but is there any remote possibility of Shout Factory and Toho coming to an agreement in the future? And does the alleged acrimony stem from monetary issues or the notion of Best Brains having possibly offending the Toho brand? I know there were rumors that Sandy Frank was none to pleased over MST3K's treatment of his films, but they technically weren't his films to begin with, and moreover, none of the rumors were substantiated in the end. I would like to snatch these films, but I don't have the substantial funds to buy them all at the moment, so I'm basically looking to purchasing 2 box sets a month. Again, my biggest concern is the possibility of these box sets being cancelled like Godzilla.

I'm also wondering what 1950's propaganda shorts are the best. I was too young to appreciate them when they first aired and wonder if they might have new meaning to me as an adult. The only ones I can recall are the Mr. B Natural skit, and another one that was more or less an appliance ad that featured a Donna Reed clone from the 1950's. Also, which box sets have the best making of content, cast interviews, and retrospectives? Anything having to do with the KTLA days? Turkey Day retrospectives? I really missed the host segments from back in the day.

DiscoJer

Joel didn't really want to leave MST3K, he was just fighting with Jim Mallon and thought it best to leave.

And he didn't do much afterwards, he wrote for America's Funniest Home Videos (along with Josh and Trace and I think Frank), which had to be one of the most sold crushing jobs in existence.

I'm not sure when they first started about reviving it. After MST3K got canceled, Rhino got Mike, Bill, and Kevin to do The Film Crew, 4 DVD releases (and possibly more), however Rhingo apparently decided not to actually release it and sold them to Shout Factory, who released them after some minor dubbing to replace Rhino references.

After that, Mike started Rifftrax. Which seems to have started slowly, but after a few years picked up steam, especially once they started releasing already riffed movies (as opposed to just commentary tracks).

Then Joel started up Cinematic Titanic, which did pretty good in selling out live shows, but didn't seem to get the same traction Rifftrax did with online sales. And presumably they were more expensive and more difficult to coordinate, since they had 6 riffers and were on screen.

Joel killed off CT a couple years ago and then that's when we heard rumors of the MST3K reboot. Several of the CT people seemed to be a bit irked at him closing CT, because they were making money off of it. Mary Jo joined Rifftrax and Trace/Frank started their own riffing venture, The Mads (with poor Josh being left out of anything)

Anyway, I never liked the shorts much, but I did like the Safety Woman one, about the free lance architect who was kidnapped by aliens and given super powers to save children from their own stupidity. Rifftrax did the sequel to the one MST3K did.

(And Shout Factory started getting into original content last year, their first original release is a horror movie called Fender Bender)

edit: Actually, the first person to try to reboot MST3K was Jim Mallon about 8-9 years ago, had an animated version on his website. It was not well received.

How much of a factor was Jim Mallon in the creative aspect of the show? I always suspected he was slotted into the Gypsy role only because he was producer. Anyone from the writing team could have done that role.

Sanjuro

efJ2jRN.jpg

komplanen

Is there a way to get into whatever MST3K is?

All I know about it, is that there's two robots and a dude and they watch movies and talk shit.

Any free episodes or something to get a better understanding? I've never seen the show.

Sanjuro

All I know about it, is that there's two robots and a dude and they watch movies and talk shit.

Any free episodes or something to get a better understanding? I've never seen the show.

The theme song explains the entire narrative. Every episode is largely standalone.

A lot of the episodes are on YouTube.

Lots of full episodes with joke annotations on YouTube.

See it here.

Outside of that, there are a LOT of other free episodes on YouTube if you just search MST3K. Not "legal", but there it is.

But, yeah, as Sanjuro said, basically every episode is standalone. Certain jokes work better having seen the show totally in order, as there are some past episode references. And some folks (like myself) are into the host segments. But you could pretty much get rid of the host segments entirely or just not watch them and still really enjoy the show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

There are some officially available on the MST3K youtube page for free

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYy4ZargUluf-iyr4vFpe-xaJ46GEDpBI
Of the ones there, I would recommend...

"Manos The Hands of Fate"
"Mitchell"
"The Final Sacrifice"
"The Pumaman"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom