• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always say if there's only one episode to show to newbies, make it Pod People.
Excellent choice. Cave Dwellers is another of that Season 3 greatness.

I would wait to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate. You really need to get some easy to watch MST3K under your belt before going into that buzzsaw.

I would recommend Cave Dwellers, Pod People, Master Ninja I, Werewolf, Space Mutiny and Final Sacrifice. I'm sure I had a longer list somewhere in this thread but I'm too lazy to go look.

I don't think I can make it to the theater tonight.

How fast after the second screening do the live Rifftrax events become available online?

How much did it cost to produce each of the seasons during the Comedy Central and Sci Fi Network eras. And were their cancellations due to escalating costs? And what concessions will need to be made in order to deliver a top notch season? Is there any chance that they'll hold another kickstarter fundraiser in the future?

And is the end game to hopefully attract an actual cable network? Would Spike TV work? I've been off the grid for many years now, so I have no personal knowledge on what networks are the go to hubs for television programming. Would MST3K work with Comedy Central or Cartoon Network? Again, I haven't seen either for ages.

And what got this campaign up and running in the first place? I know Joel was holding a few Turkey Day segments over the past few years, but I was always under the impression that everything was legally tied up.

Netflix seems like such a no brainer. They've already licensed MST3K stuff to them before on several stints. Only reason I can think that it hasn't happened yet is maybe Netflix's internal numbers showed poor viewership among subscribers.

butalala

Manos is probably too bad for the beginner to watch. There are parts where literally nothing is happening on screen and the cast has nothing to do but say the name of the film.

I'd try something that is less totally incompetent like The Final Sacrifice or Time Chasers.

My first episode was MST3K: the Movie, which worked well as an entry point.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obstructed view....
Obstructed view.....
OBSTRUCTED VIEWWWWWWWWWWW.!
mNm8RL7.jpg

I haven't done Rifftrax Live since Starship Troopers but I made a last minute decision to do this thing. I'm a little uncertain as to what it is exactly but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Sanjuro

I want to watch this on the internet!

I haven't done Rifftrax Live since Starship Troopers but I made a last minute decision to do this thing. I'm a little uncertain as to what it is exactly but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

They are doing shorts written by different members for each.

daveo42

Banned
I want to watch this on the internet!

They are doing shorts written by different members for each.

Should be real good. Actually surprised it's happening at all. Pre-show stuff just stared at my theater. I prefer the theater tbh because of the crowd reactions.

Sanjuro

At the end of the press conference. Audio from the questions is faint, but I recognized that Masshole Movie Bob's voice from anywhere.

No. There weren't many people there, just a few people asking various questions.

Frank kind of answered with some bitterness when responding to Patton taking over his character.
I can't believe no one asked them. Instead the first question is about how the movie rights process works. Who cares?

That would be nice. I haven't been able to make it to a Live show since Reefer Madness. I would be willing to pay extra if they could stream it live online.

I haven't been able to make it to a live show ever, as I moved to Japan just as Cinematic Titanic was starting.

daveo42

Banned
It was real nice to see Trace and Frank up there tonight. They had one of the best sets all night. That final short was one hell of a doozy.

Was a fantastic show. Probably the funniest one they've done. And goddamn does Trace still have it. And if this is things to come, I think Jonah Ray will be a good lead.

Really good stuff. Trace and Frank had the best segment I thought followed by Jonah and Joel. It really looks like Jonah will be great.

Leynos

Damn, I wish that I could go tonight, but I have to teach the night class on Tuesdays. That's okay, I'll just go to the encore presentation on July 12th which is on a Tues...

Fuck.

I guess that I will just stream it later, but I would have loved to experience it in a theater. I think that this would be the only time that I would be okay with an animated audience.

There are some officially available on the MST3K youtube page for free

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYy4ZargUluf-iyr4vFpe-xaJ46GEDpBI
Of the ones there, I would recommend...

"Manos The Hands of Fate"
"Mitchell"
"The Final Sacrifice"
"The Pumaman"

I LOVE Pumaman and the Final Sacrifice. Final Sacrifice is probably one of my all time favorites.

As hyped as Manos The Hands of Fate was, it was one of those episodes that I just couldn't really get into. For me, bad movies usually fall into "hilariously bad" or "boringly bad" and Manos was just really dull for me, even with the great MST3K commentary.

The movie isn't in the list you linked (but is on youtube), but Space Mutiny is one I'd highly recommend as well. Such a weird, goofy, low budget space movie, that I would be able to laugh at even without the commentary.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I was hoping for an announcement that the Mads' riffs would be available on Rifftrax, but unfortunately this isn't an E3 press conference.

Just got home from my theater. Nearly sold out show here in Boise. Trace and Frank's short was the best followed by Bridget and Mary Jo's.

Gotta agree with everyone, Trace and Frank's was by far the best. Had tears rolling down my face. I need more of them

Ddi you know that Frank co-hosts a radio show on SiriusXM with John Fugelsang in the afternoon? Anyway,he filled in for John last Thursday and had Trace on for a couple hours. Apparently, they're looking to do a weekly podcost with Sarah Hidalgo and review movies. They said that they plan on covering the new Independence Day on their first epsidoe first episode. Trace mentioned that because there haven't been any advance reviews for the film that that wasn't a good sign.

I really hope that the old cast can pop up every now and then.

Yup, Trace and Frank absolutely killed it. They really need to get some VODs going. I hope they were just joking about doing four different movies in Denver next month, because I might have to go to all of them.

Kinda disappointed by the retreaded shorts, and even more disappointed that they couldn't even be bothered to write new jokes for them. Still a great show. I think Jonah will do just fine with a bit of experience.

I haven't really watched MST3K since it went off the air, and none of the spinoffs have really caught on for me. I'm not sure I'll really even like the new version.

But for whatever reason I really like seeing those pics of everyone together. Maybe it just for the money,(I don't follow the drama) but I'm glad to see the cast/writers all together again, even briefly.

mclem

So... how soon after the events are the downloadable versions available? I've been following Rifftrax for ages, but never really before felt a need to get a copy of a live show straight away.

(I pledged at a level that ought to get me a download of the reunion, so I think I should be getting it automatically sometime)

Only disappointment...

I thought for sure we'd see the first preview of the new show.
In the press conference, someone asked Joel a question about the new show and he said that he was there as a guest of Rifftrax and didn't want to use it to answer questions about the reboot before someone told him to go ahead.

I think he was being courteous by not showing new MST3K material, though of course that would have been awesome.

Blader

So... how soon after the events are the downloadable versions available? I've been following Rifftrax for ages, but never really before felt a need to get a copy of a live show straight away.

(I pledged at a level that ought to get me a download of the reunion, so I think I should be getting it automatically sometime)

I think it's available for download in two months.

In the press conference, someone asked Joel a question about the new show and he said that he was there as a guest of Rifftrax and didn't want to use it to answer questions about the reboot before someone told him to go ahead.

I think he was being courteous by not showing new MST3K material, though of course that would have been awesome.
Both that and they are going to announce stuff at Comic Con. So it was being courteous to Rifftrax and holding out for a large announcement on a big stage. Either way, it's the right thing to do.

I wasn't able to attend this but I hope to see it someday. As awkward as the press conference was, it was great to see all of the major players (other than Josh) on stage at once and being very funny and happy.

Guzim

More Dates for Kay was my favorite short from last night especially the part where she was providing the riffs.

I can't get the Shake Hands with Danger theme out of my head though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom