• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystical Ninja DS set for April in Japan

I loved the first couple of Mystical Ninjas on the SNES and even the N64 outing had some good moments. The artstyle looks pretty cool. Could be alright.

WarPig

I'm not sure exactly who's working on this one. It's KCE Studios, which encompasses a bunch of teams, but I think that's what they folded the old KCE Osaka into.

The art style is really cool, anyway.

DFS.

I haven't played any of these games since the SNES version. The mini games they had in there were the shit! Imagine a wireless version of the painting (Tron-esque) game. Konami, make it happen!

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
I'm not sure exactly who's working on this one. It's KCE Studios, which encompasses a bunch of teams, but I think that's what they folded the old KCE Osaka into.

The art style is really cool, anyway.

DFS.
Well, KCEO/Team Goemon is the only team with any familiarity with the franchise at KCES. The other Goemon teams (KCEK & KCEN) were folded into KCET (who's also made Goemons themsleves before). Considering KCES is also porting the first two SNES Gambare Goemons to GBA, I suspect it's probably the original team working on both the GBA and DS games.

WarPig

jarrod said:
Well, KCEO/Team Goemon is the only team with any familiarity with the franchise at KCES. The other Goemon teams (KCEK & KCEN) were folded into KCET (who's also made Goemons themsleves before). Considering KCES is also porting the first two SNES Gambare Goemons to GBA, I suspect it's probably the original team working on both the GBA and DS games.

Is it KCET that made the kinda iffy PS2 Goemon? I forget, but somehow that rings a bell.

DFS.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
jarrod said:
Considering KCES is also porting the first two SNES Gambare Goemons to GBA, I suspect it's probably the original team working on both the GBA and DS games.
Damn, I am out of the loop. I will be picking up the first one if it comes to American shores.

jarrod

Banned
I posted this in the last Goemon DS thread...

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Osaka (Team Goemon)
-Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shôgun Magginesu! (SFC) 1993
-Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishi Jûroku Hyôe no Karakuri Manji Katame! (SFC) 1994
-Ganbare Goemon: Kira Kira Douchuu: Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Riyuu! (SFC) 1995
-Ganbare Goemon: Neo Momoyama Bakufu no Odori! (N64) 1997
-Ganbare Goemon: Dero Dero Douchuu Obake Tenkomori! (N64) 1998

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Nagoya
-Ganbare Goemon: Uchukaizoku Akogingu! (PS) 1996
-Ganbare Goemon: Kurofune-tó no Naso! (GB) 1997
-Ganbare Goemon: Kurunarakoi! Ayashigeikka no Kuroikage! (PS) 1998

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Tokyo (absorbed KCEN & KCEK)
-Bouken Katsugeki Goemon! (PS2) 2000
-Ganbare Goemon: Oedo Daikaiten! (PS) 2001
-Goemon Neo Age Shutsudou! (GBA) 2002

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Japan
-Ganbare Goemon: Tengu-tó no Gyakushú! (GBC) 1999

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Kobe
-Ganbare Goemon: Mononoke Douchuu Tobidase Nabe-Bugyou! (GBC) 1999
-Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku! (N64) 1999
-Ganbare Goemon: Seikuushi Dainamaittsu Arawaru! (GBC) 2000

Konami Comptuer Entertainment Studio (absorbed KCEO/Team Goemon)
-Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 (GBA) 2004
-Ganbare Goemon DS (DS) 2005

Miburou

Sorry about that, jarrod.

So which of the three was released in NA? Also, isn't this "Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku! (N64) 1999" just some board game (or Mario Party like game)?

Also, your list is missing the MSX game(s).

kiryogi: did you watch the Goemon anime? How is it?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there are four goemon action games on snes (the third one is actually more like zelda). and yeah, there's also some board game.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, i bought it :Still waiting for volume 5 to arrive: It's basically a episodic kids show. But still has the similar humor from the game. IE how much of a pervert old wise man is and having sasuke always taking pictures of schoolgirls. Goemon fans should be able to find good enjoyment out of it. It's dirt cheap too to boot.

edit: also check animeondvd for review details on it if you're not swayed XD

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
So which of the three was released in NA?
The first, which isn't listed up there.

Miburou said:
Also, isn't this "Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku! (N64) 1999" just some board game (or Mario Party like game)?
From what I understand it was some sort of card/board game.

Miburou said:
Also, your list is missing the MSX game(s).
Yeah, the early Famicom, arcade, GB & SFC games too. My list only seperates into known developers, before the 2nd SFC game they can't really be attributed.

drohne said:
there are four goemon action games on snes (the third one is actually more like zelda). and yeah, there's also some board game.
I meant four action games, 1 board game... really. :(

heidern

How many of the Goemon games are actually good? I've played the first Snes one, and the 2 N64 games and they were all great. Oh, and this looks great. Arguably the best artwork ever seen in a handheld game.

belgurdo

Banned
heidern said:
How many of the Goemon games are actually good? I've played the first Snes one, and the 2 N64 games and they were all great. Oh, and this looks great. Arguably the best artwork ever seen in a handheld game.

I heard the PS2 one that WD tried to port was utter shite, but I don't know anything about the other ones. A mom & pop I frequent saw fit to run one of the N64 ones as a demo/ambient noise track, which I suppose means something

ferricide

jarrod said:
Konami Comptuer Entertainment Tokyo (absorbed KCEN & KCEK)
-Bouken Katsugeki Goemon! (PS2) 2000
FWIW, the KCEK logo actually appears on the original release of this game.

slpm65014b.jpg

Miburou

Yeah, Goemon PS2 was released before KCEK was absorbed into KCET, IIRC. I remember KCEK's website still being up shortly after the game's release.

Regarding the "new age" Goemon games released on PS1 and GBA by KCET, do some people consider them poor because they're bad games, or just because they're a big departure from the rest of the series?

vireland

I heard the PS2 one that WD tried to port was utter shite

Mmm, probably too stiff an assessment. It was not even in the same neighborhood of terrible as the last GBA one.

The PS2 one was actually pretty fun. The problems with it for a longtime fan (yes, that's me) were that you didn't get to play Yai, Sasuke, or Ebisumaru and the graphics and collision detection were pretty dodgy (okay, REALLY dodgy). It played like more of a straight-ahead adventure game rather than a wacky-crazy Goemon game. As far as I'm concerned, the whole series needs to get back into the SNES-era zone of wackiness.

All of that said, I still think the PS2 one was all right. I just wish it could have been more in the N64/SNES vein.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Mystical Ninja 64 was one of the most underrated games of all time!

Zelda like RPG, with great art style and giant robot battles!

great humor too

ourumov

Mystical Ninja on the N64 was the best game ever. It's just like OOT but the difference is that Mystical is fun :) .

SantaC

me and my bro tried to play Goemon3 for snes, but it had RPG elements, so it was impossible to complete.

jarrod

Banned
vireland said:
Mmm, probably too stiff an assessment. It was not even in the same neighborhood of terrible as the last GBA one.

The PS2 one was actually pretty fun. The problems with it for a longtime fan (yes, that's me) were that you didn't get to play Yai, Sasuke, or Ebisumaru and the graphics and collision detection were pretty dodgy (okay, REALLY dodgy). It played like more of a straight-ahead adventure game rather than a wacky-crazy Goemon game. As far as I'm concerned, the whole series needs to get back into the SNES-era zone of wackiness.

All of that said, I still think the PS2 one was all right. I just wish it could have been more in the N64/SNES vein.
Bring over Goemon DS instead!!

Top Bottom