• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Comments On Elden Ring Performance Issues

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplayWe will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.
  • For the PC version, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version may significantly improve performance

wow-fucking-nothing.gif

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Pretty boilerplate response. I wouldn't expect a patch to be timely on PC. If the console version had a locked framerate I'd play it there honestly.

Inviusx

Well it's impossible that they didn't know about the issues prior to launch as the exact same issues were present in the network test months ago and were reported to FS around that time.

Swift_Star

Banned
Reading Dictator (Alex from DF)'s posts in Era is enlightening. The game is pretty badly optimized on PC regardless of hardware.
This just amuses me because there was a user here that said that game optimization wasn't a thing. That games ran badly because of weak hardware alone. Now even a 3090 is struggling with this game. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Well, I had to have a look at it myself with updated drivers

12900K OC 4.9
Msi 3080ti suprim x
64gb 3600Mhz

This system should eat this game up but it's utter trash lol. Yet another triple-A game launching badly. The stuttering is insane and makes the game very unplayable for me. I feel sorry for all those let down yet again by devs who launch crappy optimized titles.

GametimeUK

Does VRR help the game on PC? I'm deciding what platform to buy it on and I'd be leaning towards the PC, but if the game has noticeable stutter with VRR then I aswel get the Series X version. I have a PS5 too and would be my platform of choice if the console had VRR, but I ain't playing at an unlocked framerate that doesn't hit it's target.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As I posted in other threads, From soft are not good technically and reviews should've pointed out these issues and shouldve deducted scores accordingly- like they do for most other games. From soft should not get a pass. This will only encourage them to not invest much in the technical side of things. These kind of bugs and performance issues are unacceptable, and while I am sure the game is amazing, it doesnt deserve 97 score.

TrueLegend

It is still a far better port than God of War that Alex from DF said is superb. Worst port of one of the great games but sure Alex met the developer and talked to them so the standard that Nixxes had set up vanished. After Dark Souls From has delivered very decent ports. DSII, DSII SOTFS, DSR, and DSIII were Great, Sekiro was great too except for HDR. This is another bullshit I have to fight. On console BB has frame pacing and cloth physics issues, DSIII had issues. Dark Souls original PC port is probably the worst PC port in history so I know when they fucked up but they have improved a hell lot since that fuck up on PC.

How bad are the performance issues? They don't seem to be cyberpunk bad, but are they enough to be detracting?
If you could handle Bloodborne, you can handle this. Played for a bit on a PC that only barely met the minimum requirements and it was more than playable. There definitely was some stuttering and slowdown in places, but not to a point where it affected the way I played.

Personally, I'm still waiting for them to fix this before buying, but none of my friends who already have the game seem to be all that bothered by these issues.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This just amuses me because there was a user here that said that game optimization wasn't a thing. That games ran badly because of weak hardware alone. Now even a 3090 is struggling with this game. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Yeah although the issues here seem to be more on the CPU end, so saying "even" a 3090 is maybe looking at the wrong thing.

demigod

As I posted in other threads, From soft are not good technically and reviews should've pointed out these issues and shouldve deducted scores accordingly- like they do for most other games. From soft should not get a pass. This will only encourage them to not invest much in the technical side of things. These kind of bugs and performance issues are unacceptable, and while I am sure the game is amazing, it doesnt deserve 97 score.
I made an 86 prediction(that first review thread got deleted) because I had a feeling there would be bugs/performance issues. Didn't know there was an NDA about reviewers not allowed to scoring it lower for these issues since there would be a day 1 patch. It's shady as fuck because performance is part of the gameplay. Bandai/From Software made broken promises to the journalists. They should go back and readjust their scores to reflect how the game performs.

Same ol G

How does a 97 rated game need so many performance patches??
Because the game is not really a 97, reviewers just ignored obvious shortcomings to give the game a high score.
Maybe it has to do with the mentality developers have these days, release now patch later, when your userbase gets used to this they no longer see it as a problem and ignore the shortcomings.
This would be a problem if they didn't patch it but seeing that they are already looking into it this won't be an issue in a couple of weeks.
Doesn't change the fact that a game with such performance issues on launch shouldn't have a 97 score, maybe after the patch.

Ogbert

Gold Member
How bad are the performance issues? They don't seem to be cyberpunk bad, but are they enough to be detracting?
Not as bad. Cyberpunk was fundamentally broken (for anyone who didn't have an incredible rig).

However, at least there were publications calling CDPR out. The ubiquitous praise that this game has got, without any mention of the frame pacing issues, is piss boiling.

It is still a far better port than God of War that Alex from DF said is superb. Worst port of one of the great games but sure Alex met the developer and talked to them so the standard that Nixxes had set up vanished. After Dark Souls From has delivered very decent ports. DSII, DSII SOTFS, DSR, and DSIII were Great, Sekiro was great too except for HDR. This is another bullshit I have to fight. On console BB has frame pacing and cloth physics issues, DSIII had issues. Dark Souls original PC port is probably the worst PC port in history so I know when they fucked up but they have improved a hell lot since that fuck up on PC.
GOW was an excellent port... it is the final fantasy vii remake on oc that run like ass.

saintjules

Gold Member
I was reconsidering getting this today, but I think I'll wait now.

Have you tried turning off and on again?

it crowd moss GIF

At least for the PS5, it does it for you by shutting off randomly lol. In the interim, it potentially doesn't save your progress properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom