• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Officially Announces Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW for the US

cress2000

jarrod said:
Why didn't they release Symphonia PS2 in the US?

Probably an exclusivity deal. But I frequently hear a rumor about Nintendo owns and paid for the localization, so they'd have to produce a new one for the PS2 version. Don't know how credible that is.

I can't think of any other reasons, other than Namco being dumb as usual.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Maybe Nintendo will pick it up when they have nothing else for the DS, like how they did with ToP GBA.

Hopefully. Frankly, I'd much rather have it coming over than DotNW. A quality Tales at home (the stunning Vesperia) and a quality Tales on the go (Innocence)... there just isn't really much of an opening for Poketales of Symphonia.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Princess Skittles said:
Not really, the PS3 versions are only being made to sell these games in Japan.

If that's the case...bummer. Not picking up another 360 any time soon so I'll miss out until I do. =/

That'll all change if the 360 versions bomb though I guess.

v1cious

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Not really, the PS3 versions are only being made to sell these games in Japan.

which is funny, since none of these games sold in America. this will be niche at best.

jarrod

Banned
cress2000 said:
Probably an exclusivity deal. But I frequently hear a rumor about Nintendo owns and paid for the localization, so they'd have to produce a new one for the PS2 version. Don't know how credible that is.

I can't think of any other reasons, other than Namco being dumb as usual.
That rumor's bunk, Hometek handled everything themselves... the only "excusivity deal" in place was likely a royalty cut for the release window (which was obviously one year going by Japan). NOE did handle EU localization, but if Hometek wanted to, they could've released Symphonia PS2.

That said, if Microsoft's smart they take another play from Nintendo's book and pick Vesperia up for European localziation and distribution. I could see it doing really well in France especially (and maybe help the platform versus PS3 a bit).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cool.

Looking forward to Japanese impressions of DoTW in a few months.

schuelma

SantaC said:
isnt it coming out in march?

I believe the rumored date is 4/24- positioning itself as Wii's big Golden Week title.

SantaC

Alaluef said:
Yeah, I'm surprised. Even more considering they hinted at dubbed skits.

yeah considering both ToS and TotA took shitload of times to localize without VA skits.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Hopefully. Frankly, I'd much rather have it coming over than DotNW. A quality Tales at home (the stunning Vesperia) and a quality Tales on the go (Innocence)... there just isn't really much of an opening for Poketales of Symphonia.
Totally agreed. If anything, I think DOTNW actually inhibits Vesperia's potential... the two seem more competitive in a sense imo, while Innocence would be a more complimetary release.

Then again, it'd have probably been better for Tales Studio to greenlight a "real" Wii Tales from the outset rather than deliver us Symphonia Legends. Scamco's like asleep at the wheel. :/

icecream

Public Health Threat
The background shots for Vesparia look nice. The opposite of Eternal Sonata's style, yet still pulling off the grandiose animated feel.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Namco needs to study Lost Odyssey's method of achievements for this.

Missable Achievements = No.

Second Play-Through Achievements = Sort Of No.

schuelma

john tv said:
So excited for both of these... :D
Can you confirm the Tos KoR 4/24 release date? I saw it on a European site but I don't know if it was ever confirmed.

john tv

schuelma said:
Can you confirm the Tos KoR 4/24 release date? I saw it on a European site but I don't know if it was ever confirmed.
No idea, sorry. I saw that on Wikipedia too but haven't seen anything official about it in Japan.

ethelred said:
Yeah, given the choice, I'd go for Innocence rather than DoTNW (though ideally all three --along with the awesome 2D games -- should come over). ToI had a lot of things I really liked and pushed 3D Tales forward in many ways, but DoTNW sounds more like a quirky side-step with the Symphonia name slapped on it. But I'll still play it. :p

schuelma

SantaC said:
John, I know you're a big Tales fan. Which team is making ToS:KoR again?

Isn't it a mismash of various Namco people?

My6cats

Banned
Kintaro said:
Why would you guess that? Would be silly for Bamco not to release them to the US.

One could say the same thing for the Gamecube release of Tales of Symphonia. Maybe MS payed alot of money for the games, so namco doesn't care..

gkryhewy

Vesperia looks AMAZING. I'm not sure why 360 is getting all this JRPG love, but I'm not complaining. Looking forward to seeing LO US sales - hopefully they are good enough to bode well for future projects being greenlighted.

GreekWolf

I'm ashamed to admit that this will be my very first Tales game. Can't wait to pick up Vesperia and see what all the hoohaa is about.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I will buy a X360 when Vespeia comes out.

I am also pretty irritated that Tales of Innocence is not getting a USA release. Geez, I guess buying the import was a good idea after all.

jarrod

Banned
picsou said:
no tales of destiny 2/tales of rebirth for psp and no ps3 love ..
why namco ? why ?
Because every PS2 Tales sold like shit here and PS3 games are generally trending worse than PS2 games?

I wouldn't worry though... it's just a matter of time until we see PS3 Tales. If only Innocence was so lucky. :(

Top Bottom