• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Officially Announces Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW for the US

Sagitario

Jiggy37 said:
I'll buy Vesperia day one even if I don't end up owning a 360 for months afterward. Not exaggeration either, really; I did exactly that for TotW: RM, buying the game in August and having no PSP until mid-November.

I imported Eternia from Europe in May, then I bought TotW in August and I didn't get a PSP until mid-November too :p ...

Prine

Banned
tiltnkirby said:
Sure, why not. Story isn't the greatest and I got real tired of Colette's character real fast (Wasn't that bad a fighter but her lines, uhhhgg). The real fun was playing with friends and taking on hard fights.

This is one of the major reasons i hate ToS. Its one of the worst games i've played, but this..

wkilxy.png

makes me want to check out Veperia. Im gonna wait and see for Brandon F opinion probably. He knows what i like in RPGs.

Hunahan

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
I don't mind, I'm only offended by the homeless part myself.
I live way out in the country and wouldn't trade it for the world, although a broadband connection would be nice

Seriously though, I already admitted that I would get it (Vesperia) if the proper opportunity presents itself, I have no reason to smite the game. :)

Just wanted to say I was only joking around since you seem to have a somewhat serious response.

I'm sure your home is beautiful, and I'm really not the type of person to begrieve people over their choice in video games of all things. ;)

No offense meant, bro.

jarrod

Banned
Core series developer list (not counting portz)...

Tales of Phantasia (SFC) Wolfteam

Tales of Destiny (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Phantasia (remake) (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Eternia (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Destiny II (PS2) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Symphonia (GC) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

Tales of Rebirth (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Tales)

Tales of Legendia (PS2) Project Melfes (Namco internal team)

Tales of The Abyss (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

Tales of the Tempest (DS) DIMPS

Tales of Destiny (remake) (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Tales)

Tales of Innocence (DS) Alfa System

Tales of Vesperia (360) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

...and spinoffs...

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon (GBC) TOSE Software (yes srsly!)

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (GBA) Alfa System

Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (GBA) Magical

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (GBA) Alfa System

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP) Alfa System

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) ?????

gkryhewy

RBH said:
That figure is from ********, so don't put too much stock into it. Plus, if that were even true, that'd be a phenomenal number for a niche title like LO given how poorly BD and ES sold in the U.S.

It really is quite surreal to see the 360 as the definite RPG console of this gen.

LO is getting some decent word of mouth. Hopefully we learn of numbers following NPD, assuming it doesn't chart.

sajj316

jarrod said:
Core series developer list (not counting portz)...

Tales of Phantasia (SFC) Wolfteam

Tales of Destiny (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Phantasia (remake) (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Eternia (PS) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Destiny II (PS2) Telenet (ie: what's left of Wolfteam)

Tales of Symphonia (GC) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

Tales of Rebirth (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Tales)

Tales of Legendia (PS2) Project Melfes (Namco internal team)

Tales of The Abyss (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

Tales of the Tempest (DS) DIMPS

Tales of Destiny (remake) (PS2) Namco Tales Studio (Team Tales)

Tales of Innocence (DS) Alfa System

Tales of Vesperia (360) Namco Tales Studio (Team Symphonia)

...and spinoffs...

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (GBA) Alfa System

Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (GBA) Magical

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (GBA) Alfa System

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP) Alfa System

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) ?????

Not one of the original or spinoffs were for any Xbox game system yet Vesperia gets an MS exclusive (timed). I just don't see the logic behind this considering Namco's last RPG effort in Japan wasn't that great (Trusty Bell). This just screams 2 Exclusive RPG deal that MS worked out with Namco. Might as well call the series Playstation Tales up until the Vesperia.

Firestorm

sajj316 said:
Not one of the original or spinoffs were for any Xbox game system yet Vesperia gets an MS exclusive (timed). I just don't see the logic behind this considering Namco's last RPG effort in Japan wasn't that great (Trusty Bell). This just screams 2 Exclusive RPG deal that MS worked out with Namco. Might as well call the series Playstation Tales up until the Vesperia.

What's with this bitter fanboy tears shit. Guess what, Microsoft released the 360 before the PS3, made it more developer friendly, and started an aggressive campaign to win over developers. It worked.

Jiggy

sajj316 said:
Might as well call the series Playstation Tales up until the Vesperia.
Only if you ignore all the portable spinoffs as well as the first game in the series (Phantasia), the best-selling Tales in the West (Symphonia), and the most recently-released Tales (Innocence).

jarrod

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Well, that's new to me. No wonder it played so differently I guess.
Ninja developers! I think TOSE has contributed to about every major RPG series but Pokemon. :lol

Magicpaint said:
Team Internia? :p
You know it! :lol

I *still* think itmight be Alfa System though. Also, what happened to Sword of Legendia? Melfes mia? :/

jarrod said:
I *still* think itmight be Alfa System though. Also, what happened to Sword of Legendia? Melfes mia? :/
Alfa System? That'd be quite the load though. They apparently were working on both Radiant Mythology and Innocence at the same time up until RM got released. I guess they could have started work on KoR just after RM was released.

KoR is also on the Tales Studio page -- but of course Tempest is there as well, so yeah... :lol I think it could just be a small part of the Tales studio working with another developer and some of Namco's internal staff. So yeah it could be Alfa System lending a hand in some ways.

And yeah I'm curious about SoL as well. I don't think it was ever officially announced though?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Teruaki Konishi said this to Nintendo Power about the involvement of Team Symphonia in Dawn of the New World:

The scenario writer for Dawn of the New World wrote the original Tales of Symphonia. There are several other members of the design staff who were involved in the original game, but the majority of the staff is new to the series.
It's common knowledge by now and doesn't answer much, but maybe "Team Internia" is more closer to the truth than we think since it looks like the people working on the game aren't an older team per se, but a group that got togheter for this specific project (just conjecturing). Still up in the air if the "new to the series" people are from another developer or from Namco Bandai.

ethelred

Sadist said:
Rumour goes that the game is still in production, although under a new name.

That's excellent news. I was really starting to get concerned that we might see a shortage of gimmicky Wii Tales spinoffs.

ethelred said:
That's excellent news. I was really starting to get concerned that we might see a shortage of gimmicky Wii Tales spinoffs.
Well maybe they're turning it into a real sequel to Tales of Legendia. :p

Re: Vesperia

If it doesn't come to Europe, is the US version likely to be region free?

If not, do y'all reckon we'll see it ported to PS3 in time anyway (like Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms and all those other 360-to-PS3 ports)?

Android18a said:
If not, do y'all reckon we'll see it ported to PS3 in time anyway (like Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms and all those other 360-to-PS3 ports)?
I think it's pretty safe to say that this will likely be ported to PS3. Probably not this year though.

Fuu

Magicpaint said:
I think it's pretty safe to say that this will likely be ported to PS3. Probably not this year though.
It's hard to say if the port will be localized, though.

jarrod

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Alfa System? That'd be quite the load though. They apparently were working on both Radiant Mythology and Innocence at the same time up until RM got released. I guess they could have started work on KoR just after RM was released.

KoR is also on the Tales Studio page -- but of course Tempest is there as well, so yeah... :lol I think it could just be a small part of the Tales studio working with another developer and some of Namco's internal staff. So yeah it could be Alfa System lending a hand in some ways.
Yeah, might be abit much for AS. Don't forget though that they were/are also doing Shikigami 3 ports, TOD2 PSP and Phantasy Star Portable too around this time... they're probably larger than most people think. Radiant Mythology also completed in 2006, so I think KOR slots inpretty well schedule wise actually.

A mixed team of Tales and Namco staff could work too.... at the least, we can probably rule out DIMPS anyway. :lol

Magicpaint said:
And yeah I'm curious about SoL as well. I don't think it was ever officially announced though?
It was announced prelaunch actually... along with a ton of other games.

It's worth noting that some of those original Namco announcements became other games entirely (PacMan Carnival = Namco Museum Remix, Final Furlong = Family Jockey), but SOL and TOS: KOR were actually both listed simultaneously on Namco's homepage, so they're likely seperate projects.

Danthrax said:
Wait, wait. I must have missed this memo. "Dawn of the New World" is Tales: Pokémon edition?
Yeah, you can recruit monsters into your party... it's more like Megaten than Pokemon really though.

Magicpaint said:
Well maybe they're turning it into a real sequel to Tales of Legendia. :p
I'm sure there's been some internal shuffling to get a "real" Tales on Wii asap... hell, we know KOR got a major influx of resources after it'd already started R&D and the Wii takeover was becoming apparent. Expanding Sword into a full feldged title makes alot of sense really.

I wonder what Team Tales has been up to since the Destiny remake wrapped up? Maybe they'll move to Wii, while Team Symphonia focuses on PS360?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vesperia will probably get ported to the PS3, but in Japan only.

Datschge

Sorry for being late and bumping the thread, but this bothers me...
jarrod said:
I don't know where you got the TOSE part from, you may want to check your data. Most from the ToP: ND staff is actually long time Wolfteam staff (particularly director Kenichi Suzuki who has credits going back as far as 1989), about half of which are still in Team Destiny (which you called Team Tales). The rest is some secondary graphic/sound staff as well as the usual Namco production staff (with later series producer Makoto Yoshizumi/Yoshidumi making his first Tales related appearance as coordinator there).

Also as a general note, while Namco Tales Studio is quite liberal with listening games as their work they still only list those to which they did tangible contributions. Games like all Alfa System Tales games or the asset reusing Fandom "games" credited the Studio and its staff quite extensively for the support but aren't listed on there. So they'll have very likely at least their sound staff or Asao Furukawa (cut-in graphic designer) contribute something tangible to DotNW.

jarrod

Banned
Datschge said:
Sorry for being late and bumping the thread, but this bothers me...

I don't know where you got the TOSE part from, you may want to check your data. Most from the ToP: ND staff is actually long time Wolfteam staff (particularly director Kenichi Suzuki who has credits going back as far as 1989), about half of which are still in Team Destiny (which you called Team Tales). The rest is some secondary graphic/sound staff as well as the usual Namco production staff (with later series producer Makoto Yoshizumi/Yoshidumi making his first Tales related appearance as coordinator there).
Well, nothing completely conclusive but code comparisons suggest it's an uncredited TOSE Software release. Same deal surprisingly with a lot of Game Boy games actaully (Kid Icarus 2, Harvest Moon 1-3, MGS Ghost Babel, etc). Most TOSE made games are uncredited, and later revealed to be made by them through interviews or code research.

Vito

Banned
I certainly hope so. While I'll be picking a copy of Eternal Sonata for x360 since it's so cheap, I'm still out of luck when it comes to buying an xbox360 console since my country is too small to have a microsoft repair center. I'd have to ship the thing to Germany if it brakes.

reriel

finally jump shows vesperia, and there are four new screens and two artworks (for yuri and estel). It's listed only for 360.

There's a shonen jump scan floating around where Namdai announces that ToV will be released on X360 in Japan. The first 2 characters artworks look good imo.

edit :eek: beaten

Fuu

I really like Yuri's looks. Fujishima's art delivers, as always, can't wait to see more of Vesperia's artwork.

batbeg

This game looks so beautiful. I hope the characters are more expressive and dynamic than in Symphonia (it really bugs me) but it looks fantastic so far.

Art looks great :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
SantaC said:
same here

Sad isn't it

Not really, I am about buying Japanese RPG's and when this game is out I will likely pick up Lost Odyssey, and Blue Dragon as well.

JRPG's makes me buy consoles, it has always been like that, it always will. The only anomaly is buying an XBOX when they had zero JRPG's.

Top Bottom