• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Officially Announces Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW for the US

sciplore

Great news this game is simply stunning and I cannot wait. I hope MS does a decent job of hyping it like Nintendo did with symphonia.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Tales of Symphonia : DotNW = Day 1
Tales of Vesperia = If I ever get a HD console that it's on, I'll get it. Doesn't look probable at this point though. :eek:

Stage On

Arrg why the heck is Tales of Innocence not included in this annocment! Damn you Namco-Bandia! Damn you!!!!!!

Sigh I'll get Vesperia sooner or later but I'm not so sure about Symphonia as it's not very traditonal. Pokemon forfills all my monster hunting needs.

Hunahan

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
Tales of Symphonia : DotNW = Day 1
Tales of Vesperia = If I ever get a HD console that it's on, I'll get it. Doesn't look probable at this point though. :eek:
(neutral) vanguardian1
(Today, 02:48 PM)

....couldn't resist.

vanguardian1

Hunahan said:
(neutral) vanguardian1
(Today, 02:48 PM)

....couldn't resist.

I don't mind, I'm only offended by the homeless part myself.
I live way out in the country and wouldn't trade it for the world, although a broadband connection would be nice

Seriously though, I already admitted that I would get it (Vesperia) if the proper opportunity presents itself, I have no reason to smite the game. :)

zurra

SantaC said:
that's some quick english localization if true.
what's "if true"? they said in the interview in Play that they've been working on the english version simultaneously.

santouras

jarrod said:
Why didn't they release Symphonia PS2 in the US?
I'm pretty sure this is because nintendo published the game in the states/europe and not Namco. Namco published in Japan, which is why they could release a ps2 version in that territory.

I'm eagerly awaiting both of these games and will get them both day one. Really hoping they'll port innocence at some stage as well.

Mr Jared

Wow. I haven't been interested in the Tales series since the original SNES game (it being the last time I've actually enjoyed jrpgs), but holy crap does Vesperia look incredible. Cel Shading techniques are absolutely amazing this generation.

Thankfully, the Tales series can typically back up graphics like this (or so I've been told!), so I'll be looking forward to it myself.

santouras

alkaline black said:
Wow. I haven't been interested in the Tales series since the original SNES game (it being the last time I've actually enjoyed jrpgs), but holy crap does Vesperia look incredible. Cel Shading techniques are absolutely amazing this generation.

Thankfully, the Tales series can typically back up graphics like this (or so I've been told!), so I'll be looking forward to it myself.
you should pick up ToS. It's an absolute blast, one of the few RPG's I've played and completed

jrricky

Banned
Symphonia 2 for me thank you. This calls for me finishing up the second disc of Symphonia 1 - the game's sooo looong.

My god, Vesperia is the most beautiful Tales game yet, and that's saying a lot. Team Symphonia makes the most gorgeously beautiful environments of any developer out there. Their environments have always been absolutely breathtaking, and Vesperia is no exception. This is going to be the best Tales yet. I really wish Team Symphonia would make a portable game, since their games are usually perfect for portable play and I can't stay focused for long on console RPG's anymore.

Also, what the ass Namco. Wtf is your problem with Innocence. :(

Magicpaint said:
The sad part is that there is no EU release for these announced yet. Man, this is the last time I'm buying a PAL system.
This is simply because Namco Bandai won't bring it in Europe, but Atari. You'll have your european announcement, don't worry.

Jiggy

The Tales series is providing the only non-downloadable game I (expect to) truly love on 360 as well as one of only three non-downloadable games I (expect to) truly love on Wii. I'm not sure whether this says more about Tales, more about the industry, or more about my really specific tastes, but whatever. Happy to see the announcement.

That said, we need Innocence. :mad: And Rebirth PSP.

If people missed them, here are a lot of pics: http://www.jeux-france.com/news23344_tales-of-vesperia-tas-d-images.html

6285620071227_151403_23_big.jpg

6285620071227_151404_25_big.jpg

6285620071227_151358_14_big.jpg

6285620071227_151353_0_big.jpg

I'd also like to take the time to say I'm totally gay for Fujishima, his designs and artwork are fantastic. His style is so... 90's anime, and he's retained that style for all these years. One of my favorite artists.

This is so one of my most anticipated games at the moment, X360 is JRPG king this console generation, as ironic as that is.

beerbelly

Banned
I bought Tales of Symphonia years ago but never got a chance to play it. Which Tales is considered the best one in the series? Should I start Symphonia?

Chris Michael said:
X360 is JRPG king this console generation, as ironic as that is.
That's totally crazy. If someone told me this before the 360 launch, I'd have laughed loud on his face. Too bad japanese gamers don't bother about it.

RBH

Darkman M said:
I heard lost odyssey did 100k in four days don't know how true this is though......
That figure is from ********, so don't put too much stock into it. Plus, if that were even true, that'd be a phenomenal number for a niche title like LO given how poorly BD and ES sold in the U.S.

It really is quite surreal to see the 360 as the definite RPG console of this gen.

beerbelly said:
I bought Tales of Symphonia years ago but never got a chance to play it. Which Tales is considered the best one in the series? Should I start Symphonia?

Sure, why not. Story isn't the greatest and I got real tired of Colette's character real fast (Wasn't that bad a fighter but her lines, uhhhgg). The real fun was playing with friends and taking on hard fights.

As for the best, for the bits and pieces I played of Tales of the Abyss, they toke the Symphonia game play and gave it a good kick in the ass, as a side effect, the battling was more fun. Single biggest improvement? Moving around the battles in a 3d plane instead of being locked into 2d. No more getting thrown into corners.

Now, I haven't gotten to really play any other tales games, so take it for what it's worth.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I want both. Fingers crossed that Atari will publish Tales of Vesperia in Europe like they did with Eternal Sonata. There was only a month between the US and PAL release dates which was nice.

I think Nintendo published the PAL version of Tales of Symphonia so hopefully they will do the same with DotNW.

rpgfan16k

vanguardian1 said:
It definitely is beautiful. I wonder how 360 owners will respond to this?

Well, I welcome it with open arms, but I did the same with BD and ES, and many 360 owners, sadly, did not.

I also have yet to buy LO (although this is ONLY because I lack the $ to do so. Otherwise I would be playing it right now!).

If Namco is truly trying to make the US release something special this time (what's this I hear about skits with VO now?), then I will never, ever call them Scamco again.

If Nintendo localizes Innocence (which WILL happen- BELIEVE!), then I think Tales will end up like Castlevania is now: a thoroughly Japanese game, but one that US players tend to be more enthusiastic about.

Tales is hitting a major lull in Japan due to too many rehashes, the infamous "taint of the Tempest," and the non-game factor that is eating away at the JRPG market. Meanwhile, Symphonia sold awesomely in the West on the platform not known for selling to JRPG enthusiasts, while ps2 owners (the JRPG enthusiasts) largely ignored Abyss, the better game. While I have always been one of the first to state that the 360 has the best jrpg lineup this generation, it has not been selling well to the JRPG enthusiasts (see BD and ES sales...I'll take the "wait and see" approach for LO). Since Namco has nothing to lose in Japan anymore (and everything to gain in the West, especially the US), then why not go all-out with a Vesperia-DOTNW combo? Toss in an NOA ToI localization, and Namco is golden :)

Too bad TotW: RM sold so poorly, otherwise we'd be getting ToR PSP in this announcment, too :-(

Jiggy

McDragon said:
i bought Symphonia day one and this will be the same.
I'll buy Vesperia day one even if I don't end up owning a 360 for months afterward. Not exaggeration either, really; I did exactly that for TotW: RM, buying the game in August and having no PSP until mid-November.

Roland

For some reason, we got Tales of the World. I bought it, only for the hope that my purchase could encourage Namdai to release Tales of Destiny 2 in English on PSP. They seem to have something against releasing 2D Tales games for US.

hteng

Banned
ethelred said:
Just get a fucking 360.

i want to get one but i'm just not confident with the 360, since i don't live in NA and I don't think my country is included in the warranty service, if the thing breaks it's gonna be fucking hard to get it fixed.
I've had a bad experience when my HK PS3 got killed by lightning, the only way for me to get it fixed was send it back to HK and i end up trading in and spend a few extra bucks for a new 80G.

opps, derailed topic

whyyy????? namco ????!! whhhhhhhhyyy..????!! you better fucking get the original tales team to work on a PS3 title

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Both are pretty much day one. Vesperia is day one even if I don't have a 360 by that point.

Also, fuck Namco up the ass for not localizing Innocence.

batbeg

Jiggy37 said:
I'll buy Vesperia day one even if I don't end up owning a 360 for months afterward. Not exaggeration either, really; I did exactly that for TotW: RM, buying the game in August and having no PSP until mid-November.

I might do this, then play the game whenever at my fiancees house. I could just wait for a somewhat likely PS3 port, but I'd be too scared of it not happening.

Top Bottom