• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think Kishimoto's art has a very nice balance between simplicity and detail, and when he goes out of his way to be a little more artsy, the results are awesome. You can see it in a lot of his colour spreads.
His color spreads are the real deal. I think I've liked every single one. His week-to-week art is less impressive but still hits a really good note for me - it has a very unique "fingerprint" to it without being too outlandish, and it's definitely not generic, either. You describe it really well when you say it hits a nice balance between simplicity and detail.

Oda's art has a very distinct style but can get very whacky at times, sometimes overly so. Kubo's quality has a tendency to outshine his quantity at times. Kishi is a lot like Toriyama in that we know what we're going to get, and we always get it. They can both just churn out good character design after good character design. Even nobodies look cool in Naruto. Toriyama usually has slightly more creative world design, though - his backgrounds, vehicles, monsters and other creatures are great. I think that's a specialty that Oda has, too. But Kishi's character design is pretty high up there.

Araki's art is probably the best I've ever seen, even if his stories and ideas can get really weird.

His color spreads are the real deal. I think I've liked every single one. His week-to-week art is less impressive but still hits a really good note for me - it has a very unique "fingerprint" to it without being too outlandish, and it's definitely not generic, either. You describe it really well when you say it hits a nice balance between simplicity and detail.

Oda's art has a very distinct style but can get very whacky at times, sometimes overly so. Kubo's quality has a tendency to outshine his quantity at times. Kishi is a lot like Toriyama in that we know what we're going to get, and we always get it. They can both just churn out good character design after good character design. Even nobodies look cool in Naruto. Toriyama usually has slightly more creative world design, though - his backgrounds, vehicles, monsters and other creatures are great. I think that's a specialty that Oda has, too. But Kishi's character design is pretty high up there.

Araki's art is probably the best I've ever seen, even if his stories and ideas can get really weird.
I guess you can say that his stories are pretty....bizarre.

Heroman

Banned
Let be real we all know the best shonen artist is MURATA Yuusuke. What did dude can do weekly was amazing. What he can do bi weekly is godly . 2nd best would be HARA Yasuhisa. Make this was look Like a average Sunday.

Frog-fu

Banned

The colour spreads are indeed the real deal. You're also correct that Kishimoto's art has a very distinct look without being too outlandish.

I really like Oda's art, but his manga, especially as of late, tends to get too cluttered so it can be hard to keep track of what is going on.

Toriyama's world building is probably one of the best out there, or at least it was before the timeskip. Goku's early adventures were crazy, going from town to town, meeting zombies, vampires, mermaids, cyborgs, and going to places in high tech cities, to rural places, to the Wild West with literally cowboys and Indians - it's really damn good.

I don't read Araki's manga, but his art is really good, I agree. I also like Murata Yūsuku's (Eyeshield 21/One Punch Man) art style, especially when he does colour spreads.

The colour spreads are indeed the real deal. You're also correct that Kishimoto's art has a very distinct look without being too outlandish.

I really like Oda's art, but his manga, especially as of late, tends to get too cluttered so it can be hard to keep track of what is going on.

Toriyama's world building is probably one of the best out there, or at least it was before the timeskip. Goku's early adventures were crazy, going from town to town, meeting zombies, vampires, mermaids, cyborgs, and going to places in high tech cities, to rural places, to the Wild West with literally cowboys and Indians - it's really damn good.

I don't read Araki's manga, but his art is really good, I agree. I also like Murata Yūsuku's (Eyeshield 21/One Punch Man) art style, especially when he does colour spreads.
You should really try reading Jojo's Bizarre adventure, its a really great long running manga (10th longest of all time actually) and its super well written and for a manga that has been around since the 80s it has not been repetitive at all especially since its a manga composed of 8 different stories with new characters and enemies for each one.

Frog-fu

Banned
You should really try reading Jojo's Bizarre adventure, its a really great long running manga (10th longest of all time actually) and its super well written and for a manga that has been around since the 80s it has not been repetitive at all especially since its a manga composed of 8 different stories with new characters and enemies for each one.

I would but it's pretty damn long to get into and I'm enjoying the anime. I might get to reading after Naruto ends though, not sure.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
JoJo is great, but it isn't for everyone. It took me quite a while to warm up to it. It does always keep you on your toes and it never gets stale.

As for Eyeshield 21, I tend to avoid sports manga, so my exposure to that series (and Murata's art, by extension) is limited to what's in Jump Ultimate Stars. I should really at least read that series someday, judging by how popular it is.

As far as other shonen outside the current big three and Dragonball... I'm trying to get into Toriko now. The art in Toriko is unique in the same way Oda's art is unique (read: heavily stylized and lighthearted) and the creature/world design is what it seems to thrive on. I also really like Obata's (Death Note) art.

When it comes to shonen, few can match kubo in Art. He is like some kind of gifted virtuoso. kishi you can tell, he has a lot of techniques and careful study behind his work. While Kubo has cheer raw drawing talent. As far as story goes, is a shonen manga, is not going to win an oscar.

Edit: In my opinion

Heroman

Banned
JoJo is great, but it isn't for everyone. It took me quite a while to warm up to it. It does always keep you on your toes and it never gets stale.

As for Eyeshield 21, I tend to avoid sports manga, so my exposure to that series (and Murata's art, by extension) is limited to what's in Jump Ultimate Stars. I should really at least read that series someday, judging by how popular it is.

As far as other shonen outside the current big three and Dragonball... I'm trying to get into Toriko now. The art in Toriko is unique in the same way Oda's art is unique (read: heavily stylized and lighthearted) and the creature/world design is what it seems to thrive on. I also really like Obata's (Death Note) art.

Read kingdom it basically shit just got real the manga. Also Toriko has some of the best world building around. Eyeshield 21 is the shit. It one best football fiction I have even seen. Every game will put you to the edge of your seat.

rrc1594

I think Takeshi Obata is one the best artist I seen. Then again he is only a illustrator, so he can focus more.

EDIT- Gaf's reaction to Naruto 631 was priceless 10/10 Gaf

rambis

Banned
The rasenshurrican had a massive downside to it at first, only after sage training did he really perfect it. Even then, I'd say he was just at jounin level in terms of power (given what some jounin are shown to do).

When he mastered the bijou power, he hit Kage level, and with six paths mode, hes probably the

Most
of that major power boost was in the last few weeks though. If hes capable of that in only a few weeks, why did he show so little progress for a multi-year timeskip? or for the months leading up to wind training?

It was a fairly common criticism of the series for a long time. he had good progress pre timeskip, then stagnated, then finally started to get some progress going again.
You're only quantifying progress with flashy attacks. He showed massive improvements in the 2nd bell test, being able to get the slip on Kakashi quite a few times. Theres a reason the plot had kakashi declare them equals after the test, whether you agree or not is a different conversation.

Also, you seem to forget that when Naruto was training with Jirayai to control the kyuubi, which was the main intention of the journey, naruto damn near killed him which probably killed a significant chunk of hia training. Everybody mostly did their progression to where they are now during the timeskip, Kishi probably wanted to show Narutos progression to the demigod he is now.

I really dig Kishi's art style. Characters are realistically proportioned and are still stylised and show plenty of emotion.

naruto-artbook-scan1.jpg

d1bf3fa775fcaa1f24e26b09cee9f079.jpeg

I also really dig Bleach's art......the character designs are amazing, shame about the story.

Greatest manga artist is no doubt Kentaro Miura, the artist behind Berserk,

Frog-fu

Banned
I prefer Kishimoto's early serialized art when it was a little bit rougher and gritty. I hope he leans back to that when he does Mario.

Most manga-ka artists behind long running series quite naturally change their art over time. It becomes more refined, though it loses some of its edge.

Kubo is still the best SJ artist to me.

Dude redefines Rule of Cool.

Kubo draws really well but his overall world building/art style of his worlds (not his characters) is quite bland

Describing Kubo's art is a very magnificent tree (which is his characters) in a open bland plain with no clouds in the sky.

Frog-fu

Banned
Mario was pretty interesting. I thought it was pretty shitty his editors refused to give him time off to travel New York though, so he had to pretty much draw from pictures and movies.

Also, on a random note, after rereading some of the IT arc chapters, I think it's pretty shitty Tsunade never moved on from Dan. Before Jiraiya left for Amegakure, there were some hints dropped that she might have finally begun to return his feelings. Also, who the fuck really cares about Dan? This shoulda been Tsunade's dream.
LadyGT of course. Notice the missing arm?
Code:
[IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/177/5/3/jiratsu_never_been_so_happy_to_lose_a_bet__by_ladygt-d54wj4m.jpg[/IMG]

And since 631 was brought up recently
Code:
[IMG]http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/148/8/5/spoiler_naruto_manga_chapter_631_by_fiori_party-d66zndr.jpg[/IMG]

Frog-fu

Banned
OK, this is lol.
Code:
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/9b875704bafc2a5b58b827bd04f265df/tumblr_inline_n45gjoUArr1qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/a66d7333e75f94e6807e5c8a9fabd48c/tumblr_inline_n45fdxCW5U1qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/946f21b1e628ddb9b216830f8d20f1af/tumblr_inline_n45fn8lVqu1qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/1734c0b99dd3c1bf100965297dd4e285/tumblr_inline_n45fgmunXn1qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/530b393ea40cd0e96383a3d22cf68421/tumblr_inline_n45fhsyuI31qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/dac6d7bc6a9f3fb603f0daafd2e0e10a/tumblr_inline_n45fidtLQZ1qeq47i.jpg[/IMG]

Frog-fu

Banned
As much as I enjoy his work, Kishimoto has to be one of the most frustratingly vague writrs of all time.

Just using an example that I recently had to deal with - Gaara and Magnetism. It's so freaking obvious he has it, and yet it was never outright stated. WHY?

As much as I enjoy his work, Kishimoto has to be one of the most frustratingly vague writrs of all time.

Just using an example that I recently had to deal with - Gaara and Magnetism. It's so freaking obvious he has it, and yet it was never outright stated. WHY?
What's the evidence for it? Not arguing just honestly asking. I never thought about it.

Frog-fu

Banned
What's the evidence for it? Not arguing just honestly asking. I never thought about it.

There's a ton of evidence.
  • Yondaime Kazekage manifests rings around his eyes when using Magnet Release (MR) to manipulate Gold Dust
  • YK uses the same fighting style as Gaara and even the same jutsu, e.g. Third Eye Technique
  • Shukaku is a tanuki, has MR and manipulates sand
  • In Japanese folklore, tanuki are known for their ringed eyes
  • Gaara was the only child of YK to be compatible with Shukaku's sealing prior to his birth, i.e. he had to have been born with MR to be a suitable host

Toroi, also a MR user, doesn't manifest the rings around the eyes, which I believe is due to a different strain of MR. Basic principles of magnetism are attraction (paramagnetism) and repulsion (diamagnetism). The fact Toroi magnetised his chakra to attract his projectiles to his targets makes his Jiton paramagnetic, and thus fundamentally different from that of YK, Gaara and Shukaku, who use diamagnetism on inherently non-magnetic material like gold and sand to levitate. This would explain Toroi's lack of ringed eyes, which I took as a differentiator.

It's also worth noting that Toroi and YK debuted their MR in the same chapter (546).

There's a ton of evidence.
  • Yondaime Kazekage manifests rings around his eyes when using Magnet Release (MR) to manipulate Gold Dust
  • YK uses the same fighting style as Gaara and even the same jutsu, e.g. Third Eye Technique
  • Shukaku is a tanuki, has MR and manipulates sand
  • In Japanese folklore, tanuki are known for their ringed eyes
  • Gaara was the only child of YK to be compatible with Shukaku's sealing prior to his birth, i.e. he had to have been born with MR to be a suitable host

Toroi, also a MR user, doesn't manifest the rings around the eyes, which I believe is due to a different strain of MR. Basic principles of magnetism are attraction (paramagnetism) and repulsion (diamagnetism). The fact Toroi magnetised his chakra to attract his projectiles to his targets makes his Jiton paramagnetic, and thus fundamentally different from that of YK, Gaara and Shukaku, who use diamagnetism on inherently non-magnetic material like gold and sand to levitate. This would explain Toroi's lack of ringed eyes, which I took as a differentiator.

It's also worth noting that Toroi and YK debuted their MR in the same chapter (546).
Hmmm maybe Gaara doesn't know that he has it?

Frog-fu

Banned
Another thing I gotta say that annoys me about Kishimoto is how he just don't fucking bother naming characters. We went without knowing Hiruzen's name for years. We still don't know what the Fourth Kazekage's name is, or any the second Mizukage's, or the Third Raikage's - in fact, we only know of the Hokage, Mū, Ōnoki, A, Yagura and Mei. The rest are all unnamed.

Would've also been good to know what the Sand Sibling's surnames were, or that of Tenten and any number of characters that were introduced without surname.

Kishimoto should put out one final, comprehensive data book to get this all over with.

Kishi's art was at it's peak during the rescue sasuke arc. he stopped giving a fuck afterwords. Everything got lazier, the week to week art, his creativity in the fights, the chapter covers and spreads....

but yeah, the rescue sasuke arc was sooo gooood, he found a perfect mix of his own art and using the anime's designs. He pretty much admitted he aped tetsuya nishio's and hirofumi suzuki's art. Was a big influence on me. His ugliest art period was probably the rescue gaara arc. i like his earliest shit more than that.

man I used to be a big fan of naruto. it fell so hard though after the timeskip :(

but if we're talking about best mangaka

nobody is touching takehiko inoue or takeshi obata(pre bakuman)

Vagabond/REAL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Preview line for 692. Very vague, but very interesting:

"The Fourth Shinobi World War finally concludes! And then, that man will...!?"

I bet everyone wakes up from the infinite tsukuyomi. Someone will have to bring them up to speed though, lol.

That's when Sasuke or someone will make their move! Maybe Orochimaru! Though I feel he is pretty genuine in just not giving a shit to be a bad guy and just an observer of the world/sasuke/etc...

Khezu

Oro is just playing the long con.
Become friends Sasuke, then wait for him to die of old age and snatch the eyes from the corpse.

Oro is just playing the long con.
Become friends Sasuke, then wait for him to die of old age and snatch the eyes from the corpse.
That would actually be hilarious.

People hate on his character change but I kind of like it. The thing I liked most about Oro is that he seemed like someone who gave ZERO fucks about what anyone thought of him or what he was doing and he just acted in whatever way he saw fit for whatever his goals were in that particular moment. I feel like his character "change" wasn't really much of a change. He has gone through a lot, he tried things his way, it didn't work out, so now he has other interests and he is going to see that through.

I get why people are disappointed though. He was fun as hell as a villain, better than most if not all of what we got afterwards. So I see why people dislike it, but when you really think about it I don't feel like Kishi did anything out of the ordinary with him. In fact I kind of hate villains with one track minds, especially when they've already tried to make moves and failed.

Maddocks

its because ORO is secretly the best character kimish created. Now its his time to show up and be the real final end boss.

For what though? He isn't like the other guys wanting to create the perfect world or stop an alien invasion. He just wanted to fuck shit up for a while and be immortal n tingz.

Maddocks

Because oro is a why not character.

why did you try to destroy the leaf?
Did it on a whim, because why not?

why are you helping with the war?
Why not? want to see what way the wind blows this time around.

He really wont be the final boss sadly, don't see a reason for him to actually want to try and do anything. He seems like a character who just wanted to learn all he could and maybe see his parents again if they ever got reborn. He really only wanted the sharigan because it would help him reach his goal faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom