• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when Sasuke eyes couldn't predict Naruto's movements when he had the nine tails chakara up but that clearly has changed

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I completely forgot about Deidara's celluar bomb things. That's some next level technique, there. Sasuke barely won that fight.

God Naruto was so much better when everyone was around the same power level. Why is it so hard to find a good shonen these days?
Actually this is still the case, except everyone is super OP right now with the chakra cloak they got from Naruto. Or, they were until they got sent to the Matrix really recently. I mean, I suppose Naruto, Sasuke, and Kaguya are stronger than everyone else for the purposes of this fight, but I don't see that lasting beyond this particular battle.

Welfare

I completely forgot about Deidara's celluar bomb things. That's some next level technique, there. Sasuke barely won that fight.
Sasuke is extremely lucky in Part 2. So many chances for him to die. Deidara's fight, Itachi was terminally ill, Killer B destroying Team Taka til Amaterasu, and Tobi saving him from the 4 kages, Danzo, and Kakashi+Naruto.

The Sauce man sure is lucky.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sasuke is extremely lucky in Part 2. So many chances for him to die. Deidara's fight, Itachi was terminally ill, Killer B destroying Team Taka til Amaterasu, and Tobi saving him from the 4 kages, Danzo, and Kakashi+Naruto.

The Sauce man sure is lucky.

also kabuto

Sasuke getting wrecked by Killer B has to be one of the most satisfying fights, that smug son of a bitch getting his ass handed to him in glorious faction. He would've been dead like 4 times in that fight if his teammates weren't there to save him.

Then his brother wasn't having any of that susanoo bullshit and chopped him in the neck and was about to kill him with the Hulk Hogan leg drop.

Clearly Sasuke is weak to
cloud
ninjas.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member

Actually this is still the case, except everyone is super OP right now with the chakra cloak they got from Naruto. Or, they were until they got sent to the Matrix really recently. I mean, I suppose Naruto, Sasuke, and Kaguya are stronger than everyone else for the purposes of this fight, but I don't see that lasting beyond this particular battle.

It would probably kill Naruto even in his crazy god mode.

Sai

End of part one fight at the valley?

Didn't he only has two eye tomes? He started tracking him perfectly after he upgraded mid battle.
Nah, he had three at this point. He's referring to the Kyūbi chakra shroud, which could move independently during Naruto's attacks. He couldn't anticipate it like he could with Naruto's movements, which was the only thing negating the huge speed difference between them.

Didn't Kishimoto himself said that Deidara was the most dangerous Edo Tensei? C0 all day, every day.

But at last, Cloud Ninjas stop him. Those Cloud Ninjas don't mess around and great designs also. It's good to see an anime with nicely designed brothers.

Didn't Kishimoto himself said that Deidara was the most dangerous Edo Tensei? C0 all day, every day.

But at last, Cloud Ninjas stop him. Those Cloud Ninjas don't mess around and great designs also. It's good to see an anime with nicely designed brothers.
here is the quote

Out of Kabuto’s army, Deidara is my favorite character. Honestly, I think the EdoTensei Reanimation could make him the deadliest character because he can come back to life after he uses his special power to explode himself. I really like Deidara as a character.

Percy

Banned
Just occurs to me I don't think this series ever properly explained why Itachi was so ill when he died, did it?

I could have missed the explanation, but was there one at all? I know why he was going blind of course, but that wasn't going to kill him.

It was commonly referred to as "Ninja Aids" among the fans back then.
vIFygrh.gif

Frog-fu

Banned
What I was addressing was your claim of the negation being used arbitrarily, and the impression you were giving of it being tied to the Gudōdama alone—it wasn't.

It's not that Senjutsu was "more effective", it's that Senjutsu would be the only means of inflicting any harm with chakra-based attacks.

The reason I brought up the comparison between Naruto and Sasuke's combination attack was to drive that point home. As far as damage potential is concerned, it was overwhelmingly superior to that of the Rasengan that Naruto drilled into Obito's back. But it worked because Senjutsu is the J&#363;bi Jinch&#363;riki's weakness, not simply because Ninjutsu < Senjutsu.

Did I miss the part where you proved the negation effect is not tied to the Gud&#333;dama? You have offered no clear evidence that the negation is in effect outside of them.

Senjusu is the only means to get past the negation effect, as demonstrated when Obito blocked Gamakichi's senjutsu based attack, which erode the shield Obito with his Gud&#333;dama.

I'm getting the impression the original contention, that being that the negation is in effect constantly and thus all ninjutsu is useless, isn't the thrust behind your arguments and that we've shifted the discussion to only tangentially related items.

VeeP

God Naruto was so much better when everyone was around the same power level. Why is it so hard to find a good shonen these days?

Hunter X Hunter & One Piece immediately spring to mind. The new HxH 2011 anime is extremely good too and watchable, no BS filler/one manga chapter = one anime episode shit like the One Piece anime.

Frog-fu

Banned
It's kind of sad to see Naruto has become the go-to punching bag for sh&#333;nen fans. It's nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be.

Also, for all the whining of plot protection that goes on in this community, how the fuck is One Piece given so many passes over the years? I love One Piece as much as the next guy, but it is far from flawless and has its fair share of issues. The same goes for HxH.

RalchAC

New here! I dropped Naruto manga like 6 months ago and returned now that a friend told me it's about to finish. Don't be too hard on me :)

Nurarihyon no Mago!

And watch Gintama anime. It's kind of a mix between gag and battle manga. And it's amazing. Gag parts are really funny and battle parts are really, really amazing.

If you can't endure all the standalone gag chapters you can look for "Gintama arc list" on google and go to the real deal.

It's kind of sad to see Naruto has become the go-to punching bag for sh&#333;nen fans. It's nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be.

It's the go-to punching bag because Bleach is a lost battle for most people. And because Naruto despite always being cheesy has had some really great moments in the past.

Hidan and Kakuzu arc is great. I loved how it focus on Azuma's Team and especially on Shikamaru.

Jiraya vs Pain arc is great too. Bitter sweet, with a good fight and nice development for the character.

The arc where Pain attacks Konoha is kind of flawed but it has some great stuff and, especially, some great battles. The whole arc is great
until Hinata's confesion
. It gets worse from there onwards until reaching Bleach levels of non-sense and dimension flipping we're now. Which are kinda excusable since it's about to end :)

The last 2-3 years have not been that good overall. I think Kishimoto has some faults here, but I feel like the Shonen Jump (or his editor or whatever) is partially fault too. The war seemed quite interesting until they decided to slap Naruto
-Kyubi
clones everywhere. He seemed to want to give some screen time to underused secondary characters at first. It was quite perplexing seeing the drastic change of pace that the series suffered in really few chapters.

Also, for all the whining of plot protection that goes on in this community, how the fuck is One Piece given so many passes over the years? I love One Piece as much as the next guy, but it is far from flawless and has its fair share of issues. The same goes for HxH.
All the shows have their own quirks. It just boils down to what you're willing to be ok with. I follow all 3 and I'll admit I've lost interest in One Piece because there's just too many characters most of which I just don't care about. The powers are just as silly there too sometimes. But some people love the amount of characters and giant world building and all that.

Hunter X Hunter I wane in and out of interest wise because it also tends to have arcs that focus for a long time on characters I don't care much about.

I kind of like Naruto in the sense that it's more focused. Doesn't spend excessive time away from the main character and when it does I don't mind it at all because I care about a lot of them. Yeah the powers are kind of silly now as well and things have gotten convoluted/hard to follow at times but I enjoy it.

Different strokes and stuff.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
Is Yamato dead like I know he popped back up in 1 chapter and vanished

Naruto gets shitted on the most because of the huge potential it squandered, Bleach used to be the big whipping boy but it's now been thrown away as a lost cause.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Naruto gets shitted on the most because of the huge potential it squandered, Bleach used to be the big whipping boy but it's now been thrown away as a lost cause.

It's because of the incredibly shitty world building in Naruto, basically.

Naruto had some good ideas, right from the first few episodes/ Zabuza arc. The Killed in Action memorial, sometimes you fight people who you might actually like on a personal level (Haku). And then later on there's some nasty feudal Japan-esque stuff going on with the Hyugas, even though Neji's perception was wrong. Then it just fades into nothingness in favor of Uchiha pandering, tailed beast nonsense, and describing every last detail of Madara's life and the entire history of the ninja world in a fairly uninteresting manner.

Also, did Itachi ever acknowledge the whole "kill ur best friend for power" thing he told Sasuke? The best excuse I've heard is that he expected Sasuke would refuse to be like Itachi, but that's a pretty big risk for him to take. Obviously it all works out because Itachi is the pinnacle of the perfect and loving Uchiha or something.

studyguy

I forgot just how long Shounen normally take to get arcs out of the way when they feel inclined to keep them going. At this rate I can't see things ending for at least another year. Shit's nuts to the point that I tend to forget what the original aim was of where things originally were going.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bleach had so much potential with its setup and especially with its characters and the powers they had. Shikai/bankai, zanpakutos, the different divisions and their captains/vice-captains... it's one of the best setups for a shonen I've seen, and the whole Hollow concept was pretty unique, too. Thinking about what that series devolved into is depressing. It peaked way too early.

Naruto gets too much hate, though, yes. And One Piece gets a little too much love. Both series are flawed, but great. I think Naruto's main flaw is that it used to a world focused series - more about ninjas and the lives they lived, and how that affected the characters in the Narutoverse. It became way too character focused, and the main cast started to feel too "special". I also think the techniques people started using got way too strong. Remember when Kakashi's Raikiri was considered awesome? Remember when Sharingan was special and could copy moves? Remember when the Hyuga family feud was important? Remember when ninjas actually went on missions and fought other ninjas and people besides the best of the best mattered? Now it's mostly village leaders, other super special people, zombies, and Gods. Not entirely - there are still cool concepts like the Samurai and their country, and the bodyguards for the Kage during the summit were all really neat characters, for example... but I feel like the scope of things got too grand.

I gave One Piece too many chances and it never grabbed me.

Watched it on 4Kids (or Fox, I don't remember)
Watch it in the afternoon on Cartoon Network
Watched it Saturdays on Toonami
Watched the ''best'' movie (4th one, I don't know if it's still believed to be the best)
I read the manga post time skip.

Always get bored after a while, feels like filler. There's barely any tension since I know the strawhats are not dying anytime soon, way too many characters. Entire arcs that could be dismissed. Oda could use some pressure from the editors.

Bleach anime is a 100 times better than the manga and I miss it. I don't that how Bleach chapters can be read in a couple of minutes then I have to wait a week. I really like the styles, Kubo is easily one of the top Shonen artists.

RalchAC

Bleach had so much potential with its setup and especially with its characters and the powers they had. Shikai/bankai, zanpakutos, the different divisions and their captains/vice-captains... it's one of the best setups for a shonen I've seen, and the whole Hollow concept was pretty unique, too. Thinking about what that series devolved into is depressing. It peaked way too early.

The series went shit a while the characters were trying to rescue Orihime after he got kidnapped. I think for a while it was as popular as OP/Naruto, but most people I know dropped it halfway in that "Las Noches" thing.

Naruto gets too much hate, though, yes. And One Piece gets a little too much love. Both series are flawed, but great. I think Naruto's main flaw is that it used to a world focused series - more about ninjas and the lives they lived, and how that affected the characters in the Narutoverse.

I don't really think it was world focused. The game didn't really get into that kind of stuff until the Jiraya vs Pain arc. When they start talking about little countries becoming the battlefield for the bigger ones, Akatsuki original motives, Danzo, Hanzo and all that stuff.

It became way too character focused, and the main cast started to feel too "special". I also think the techniques people started using got way too strong. Remember when Kakashi's Raikiri was considered awesome? Remember when Sharingan was special and could copy moves? Remember when the Hyuga family feud was important? Remember when ninjas actually went on missions and fought other ninjas and people besides the best of the best mattered?

Here you nail some stuff. I think the series was too character focused, but things went wrong when they started focusing just on Naruto and the Uchihas. Especially on the Uchihas.

- The Zabuza arc is cool because it presents the main characters.
- The Chunnin Exam arc is cool because you get more information about the other Konoha Gennins and some small bits about the overall world of Naruto. And you meet Orochimaru which is supposed to be the baddie. You see Hinata, Rock Lee, Neji and Gaara progressing through the story.
- After that they look for Tsunade and it's quite cool, because Naruto gets his "Kamehameha" and gets near Sasuke level.
- Its chase has some neat cool stuff since Kiba and Choji get the spotlight. You see the return of some secondary characters like Lee, Neji and Shikamaru

Once you go to Shippuden things aren't that cool. Lee's and Kiba's team get ditched. Shikamaru's team gets some extra love which is cool because Shikamaru is a good character (not that strong bur really smart).

But you really start seeing the series focusing on just Naruto and Sasuke (and Itachi, since the latter is obsessed with him). Even Kakashi is less important when he was supposed to be an ultimate baddass (a shame, again, because Kakashi is a "smart" character and has few chakra, so he can't just go creating 1000 clones).

The fact that Taka support characters are terrible doesn't help.

Now it's mostly village leaders, other super special people, zombies, and Gods. Not entirely - there are still cool concepts like the Samurai and their country, and the bodyguards for the Kage during the summit were all really neat characters, for example... but I feel like the scope of things got too grand.

At the start the war promised to show more secondary characters. It seems somebody decided it wasn't good enough and it was better to slap Naruto clones everywhere. The fact that they went through the whole Azuma's death thing again wasn't that good though. They should have given some development to Kurenai's and Guy's team. Some friend of mine
complained because I didn't give a shit when
Neji dies
. But, why should I? That character disappeared for 300 chapters. It's hard to empathise with somebody that I haven't seen on screen in years (fillers aside).

Azuma's
death was great because he "cooked".
Jiraya's
death was great (in a really sad way) because it was "cooked" too and he is an important character on its own. If
Kakashi died
it would have been great (in a really sad way too) because it's an important character.

At this point they could kill every of the original Genins outside Rock Lee, Shikamaru and Chojin (and Akamaru lol. He is a dog, so I must love him) and I wouldn't give a crap, tbh.

Also, did Itachi ever acknowledge the whole "kill ur best friend for power" thing he told Sasuke? The best excuse I've heard is that he expected Sasuke would refuse to be like Itachi, but that's a pretty big risk for him to take. Obviously it all works out because Itachi is the pinnacle of the perfect and loving Uchiha or something.
that whole thing still bugs me. Fucking with Sasuke's head, convincing him take a path of vengeance for the purpose of making him strong enough to kill him later on; how is that not unbelievably selfish on Itachi's part?

For all we know a potential civil war between the Uchihas and the rest of the village might have had less casualties than the number Itachi and Obito killed off in one night. If diplomacy had failed, Itachi+the Third+ANBU+Kakashi,Gai and the rest of the jonins would have held their own. And its a pretty big leap in logic to assume a civil war in Konoha would lead to a new Shinobi World War. The morality and decision making of that whole thing was fucked up (which is mostly Danzo's fault, but still)

The gripes everyone has with the anime/manga are pretty well known. I think they've been said and said well tons of times and I think most of us agree with it. So lets switch it up. What is one thing you guys really like about it these days?

For me I guess it would be the fact that I have no idea what will happen. And I enjoy that feeling. That's the upside of things getting crazy.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I want the whole Epilogue Manga where Naruto and Sasuke are Co-Hokages

Jigorath

Banned
The gripes everyone has with the anime/manga are pretty well known. I think they've been said and said well tons of times and I think most of us agree with it. So lets switch it up. What is one thing you guys really like about it these days?

For me I guess it would be the fact that I have no idea what will happen. And I enjoy that feeling. That's the upside of things getting crazy.

I'm going to like it when Sasuke finally dies.

that whole thing still bugs me. Fucking with Sasuke's head, convincing him take a path of vengeance for the purpose of making him strong enough to kill him later on; how is that not unbelievably selfish on Itachi's part?

For all we know a potential civil war between the Uchihas and the rest of the village might have had less casualties than the number Itachi and Obito killed off in one night. If diplomacy had failed, Itachi+the Third+ANBU+Kakashi,Gai and the rest of the jonins would have held their own. And its a pretty big leap in logic to assume a civil war in Konoha would lead to a new Shinobi World War. The morality and decision making of that whole thing was fucked up (which is mostly Danzo's fault, but still)

That was before Itachi became popular, and turned into a good guy. Killing your best friend should awake the MS, since you are losing something you loved.

What I don't know is how the hell did Itachi got the MS before the massacre?

Maddocks

What I don't know is how the hell did Itachi got the MS before the massacre?

Didn't he kill his best friend? From the looks of it, Shisui lost one eye to danzo, then he gave the other one to itachi and then itachi killed him because it was his choice. He still lost his best friend doing it so wouldn't it still count?

EDIT: Unless I'm misremembering it and kimish reconned it so that Shisui and itachi had MS at the same time. Then I have no idea how he got it.

Didn't he kill his best friend? From the looks of it, Shisui lost one eye to danzo, then he gave the other one to itachi and then itachi killed him because it was his choice. He still lost his best friend doing it so wouldn't it still count?

EDIT: Unless I'm misremembering it and kimish reconned it so that Shisui and itachi had MS at the same time. Then I have no idea how he got it.

I guess just watching him die was enough to get it?

Frog-fu

Banned
Itachi helped Shisui kill himself. That's how he awakened his Mangeky&#333; Sharingan.

Killing your friend isn't necessarily the only way to get it though. Madara and Izuna both awakened MS and they were each other's closest friend. Obito awakened his when he saw Rin died and Sasuke got his when he was overcome with grief over killing Itachi. It seems to me that, like the Nidaime said, an emotional ordeal is required to awaken the MS. Sorta like going SSJ.

Saying that the War arc has been subpar is an understatement. I did not like like the premise of a war to begin with, but it really hit rock bottom after Madara appeared. I liked him in the first chapter that he appeared in, when he seemed like an opponent that relied on skill and strategy to overcome his opponents. But that quickly went out the window when he activated Susanoo, and kept it on for the next few years. There is no fun with an overpowered villian that can negate practically any form of counterattack, it just feels incredibly cheap. Superior tactics and jutsu resourcefulness is what really makes a great villian in this series, not a gulf in power levels which renders everything moot.

Maddocks

Yeah, Madara and Izuna got theirs because of the years and years of war and losing friends and family to the battle. Itachi got it because he helped his friend die. It's all coming back to me now.

I could have sworn I seen a picture of Itachi and Shisui standing side by side with their MS activated. But I'm starting to believe that it was just Madara and Izuna and I'm just blurring the two together.

Frog-fu

Banned
Yeah, Madara and Izuna got theirs because of the years and years of war and losing friends and family to the battle. Itachi got it because he helped his friend die. It's all coming back to me now.

I could have sworn I seen a picture of Itachi and Shisui standing side by side with their MS activated. But I'm starting to believe that it was just Madara and Izuna and I'm just blurring the two together.

We were never told how Madara and Izuna got their MS but that's probably it.

Another Obito Flashback (before he dies)
Madara Flashback
Sage of Six Paths Flashback
Black Zetsu Flashback
Kaguya Flashback
Sasuke speaking to Orochimaru about the village Flashback

C'mon Kishi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom