• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really? I thought it was so obvious that it looped around and I thought Obito was a red hearing.
Obito's death scene was written to be too convincing. He got trapped under a boulder in a cave that collapsed. Madara somehow being close enough to save him, and having no substantial reason to save a random 14 year old kid besides the fact that he was an Uchiha, and then raising said kid to be his successor and face to the world all felt incredibly forced. Everything that happened in between his "death" and the point where he basically fuses with Guruguru was completely unbelievable and awkward.

Rin's death, and the reason he went insane/evil, was believable. I'd also buy Kishimoto planning Tobi to be Obito from the beginning. But how he got to that point felt really weird.

Sasuke and Sakura together is legitimately bad writing, but seems like *some* people are using it as an excuse to retroactively shit on Kishimoto, probably because it helps their "Sakura and Naruto was the real deal" mentality.

No one needs Sakura and an excuse to criticize Kishimoto's terrible writing.

Sharpeye

I have a feeling that like DBZ, Naruto will stay alive through games and movies. Plus with two mini stories coming in spring and the fact that it's a new generation, I have a feeling a part three will come after Kishi gets a taste of fatherhood and hopefully looks at his past work critically to improve in the future. I see this as an overdue break rather than an end of the series. So don't be so down people we still got alot ahead of us.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think you can. You just can't watch the most recent episode.
AFAIK Crunchyroll lets you watch it for free in sub-HD, but you need a subscription for the HD versions.

Shouta

You can't pull the "they're ninjas, what do you expect?" card because the entire theme of the show is overcoming adversity because you have people you care about depending on you. These characters are one note - they don't use subterfuge like ninjas. Subtlety is not in their vocabulary. Their emotions are always worn on their sleeves. No one in this world of ninjas have any depth beyond what their thought bubble says at the time.

That's like the theme of all of Shounen Jump, lol.

First off, if you were to nail down the theme of Naruto it'd probably be about Shared Burden/emotional resonance, bonds, and obviously. love. If you look at all of Naruto's encounters with characters throughout the series, these are probably the 3 things that remain common. This is specifically in folks that he initially had some kind of fued or feelings toward. I mean really, The Will of Fire is actually these, a love for the bonds the group has a village and the burden they share as a group.

Second, your point about subterfuge does not refute mine. Sasuke treating it as business, or specifically others as an obstacle in their goal, is specifically something that occurred in the series for Ninjas. That's what Itachi had to do. He chose to kill the Uchiha to protect the village even though he likely did not want to. It's not surprising that Sasuke ended up doing the same thing. Even Hashirama had to do this when he faced Madara. To protect the village, he had to do whatever it took, even if it meant striking down someone he considered family.

Third, the thought bubbles point out that the characters had more going on that just one thing. This is why the last Sasuke monologue is so important. We thought he was a crazy one note villain until then but that wasn't the case and learning that changes the look of his interactions with Team 7 throughout the series. He still did bad shit, of course, but there was more to it than that.

What Sasuke wanted, at various times, was: the destruction of the entire ninja world, the destruction of Konoha in particular, the destruction of everyone who knew of Itachi's mission, the destruction of everyone he cared about.

This evolved several times throughout the series. He first wanted revenge on Itachi for killing the clan and left to achieve that. When he found out the truth that Itachi was protecting him and what really happened, he swore to take revenge on Konoha and the Ninja world for forcing Itachi into that situation. Then, it changed when he met Itachi one more time and was shaken by the memories that he passed on to Sasuke. He then met with the former Hokages and learned everything from them. That's when decided to protect the village. it didn't change how he sought to achieve that dream but that happened changed occurred at the end.

So there really was only one section of time where he wanted to destroy Konoha.

Sasuke never wanted Sakura. He never claimed, or even hinted at that much until the penultimate chapter. Sasuke was tormented by losing people he loved, and never learned to make real connections again because his past haunted him. He's a complete sociopath who brought nothing but harm to Sakura. He was willing to kill her on two occasions because she was annoying collateral. Sasuke at his worst always acknowledged Naruto, but Sakura was a second thought - something to be disposed of. Whereas Sasuke dominated Sakura's every thought, Sasuke spared little time thinking of her.

We don't know what Sasuke thought of Sakura, he could have actually liked her. And he tried to kill Naruto, who he clearly has stated he considered a friend, so it's not surprising at all that he'd try to kill Sakura to achieve what he needed.

What was one of the last things Saskura said to Sasuke? "If you have any regard for me, no matter how little, you won't fight Naruto." Sasuke responded by calling her annoying and forcing an hallucination upon her wherein he stabbed her to death.

The fact he didn't actually stab her should be points. =P

But you could make a few logical assumptions to justify it though. Regular genjutsu to keep her busy wouldn't work really well (could be dispelled), sleeping ones take too long to activate, and actually harming her would be no bueno. So put her mind into shock to knock her out probably the next one down the line.

Their assumed partnership is absolutely insane because Sakura and Sasuke have never connected on an emotional level in the entire manga. It's been a one-sided affair the whole run of the manga, one that can only be called a crush because Sakura only loved Sasuke for superficial reasons. It's tonally ridiculous, and cannot be waived away with some "they're ninjas" rationalization. They're still people. They're supposed to trust one another. You obliterate any logical interpretation on how people interact trying to justify this partnership, as it has been presented, by saying people in this world don't really hold grudges (this is laughably, demonstrably untrue, besides).

The manga didn't have Sasuke as the main viewpoint during the time frame where they could have interacted. Rightfully so because the manga is called Naruto after all. So we don't know what happened with them But even if they didn't have any interaction of major significance, you don't need a reason to fall for some, that's why love at first sight exists, and they very well could have initiated a real relationship afterwards.

The "They're Ninjas" is absolutely important because the framing is key for the interactions and motivations. This isn't a super peaceful era nor are they regular civilians in mundane jobs. They're shinobi, trained to conduct a wide range of missions, including killing people. It's a very different context these characters are living in and not taking that into account when looking at what's going on is silly.

The business and personal line existed in the series before Sasuke too. What makes Sasuke any different than the other instances? Because he wanted to destroy the village? Sand Siblings were going to do that. Because he tried to kill someone close to him? Neji almost did that to Hinata but was stopped by the Jounin attending the exam. All was forgiven for the latter but Sasuke gets nothing? If one wants to hate on it then be my guest but Kishi at least setup the internal logic for it to occur. If you're going to make any sort of argument on why it shouldn't occur, at least use stuff from the manga and its context.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Read the last chapter last night but didn't have the energy to talk about it. I just can't believe that it's finally finished. Sooooooooooooooo happy about Naruto x Hinata! Yessss yesss yesssssssssss! Though I'm pissed we never got a moment between the two for Naruto to formally address her confession (sorry but a timeskip with them having two kids just won't do for me). Here's hoping that gets addressed in that Last movie they're working on.

Figured Sasuke x Sakura would happen, though my fingers were crossed for Sakura x Ino.

Shouta

Read the last chapter last night but didn't have the energy to talk about it. I just can't believe that it's finally finished. Sooooooooooooooo happy about Naruto x Hinata! Yessss yesss yesssssssssss! Though I'm pissed we never got a moment between the two for Naruto to formally address her confession (sorry but a timeskip with them having two kids just won't do for me). Here's hoping that gets addressed in that Last movie they're working on.

Figured Sasuke x Sakura would happen, though my fingers were crossed for Sakura x Ino.

Sakura x Ino, hah. Actually.... >_>

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't the time that Sasuke tried to kill Sakura the same time she went there with the explicit goal of poisoning him? I think Karin is a much worse case since she was trying to HELP him and he tried to kill her.

Trey

Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't the time that Sasuke tried to kill Sakura the same time she went there with the explicit goal of poisoning him? I think Karin is a much worse case since she was trying to HELP him and he tried to kill her.

That was when Sakura was so heartbroken over how batshit insane Sasuke was that she felt guilty and decided that she needed to kill him and herself to rid the world of their evil (his evil, and her inability to stop his evil).

Khezu

I thinks it's best to pretend that whole Kage arc just doesn't exist.

I don't know what the hell Kishi was doing or trying to do.

All of team 7 came off terrible.

Plus in the end, none of it really mattered at all, Sasukes turn to true darkness lasted for a whole 2 seconds, Dazno well cool, was pointless. Only thing that kinda mattered was Obito declaring war, and it really didn't need that much set up for that.

I can only see that "they're ninja" excuse applying to the Sand Siblings. Neji was in a rage and he had pretty good reason to be angry at that point, even if it was at the wrong person. Sasuke is just an asshole who thought murder was the solution to everything and anything.

Sasuke's contrived characterization is a huge flaw with the series in general. It's basically the centerpiece of the end of Part 1 and a huge amount of Part 2, yet there was never any convincing friendship. It was "dislike" to "begrudging cooperation" straight to "violent jealousy." I get that they're both messed-up emotionally and relate to each other, but there was never actually a strong connection as far as the reader can see.

Shouta

As I recall, yes, lol. Ninjas gonna do what Ninjas gotta do.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura x Ino, hah. Actually.... >_>

Never forget about that flower field flashback. Never forget.

I was actually going to PM you on that, but I wasn't sure if you wanted spoilers.

Haha thanks! I saw the thread last night and went "holy crap it's finished?!" I was only 8 chapters or so behind so I got caught up rather quickly. :lol

Was sooooo hoping Karin would end up with Sasuke so Sakura and Ino could become a pair. ;_;

Shouta

I can only see that "they're ninja" excuse applying to the Sand Siblings. Neji was in a rage and he had pretty good reason to be angry at that point, even if it was at the wrong person. Sasuke is just an asshole who thought murder was the solution to everything and anything.

Sasuke's contrived characterization is a huge flaw with the series in general. It's basically the centerpiece of the end of Part 1 and a huge amount of Part 2, yet there was never any convincing friendship. It was "dislike" to "begrudging cooperation" straight to "violent jealousy." I get that they're both messed-up emotionally and relate to each other, but there was never actually a strong connection as far as the reader can see.

Neji fits when looking at it from the perspective of the others. Under most circumstances, most people would hold a grudge for almost killing someone like that but no one really did other than Naruto and he was more angry that Neji disrespected Hinata, lol.

I do agree that Sasuke's characterization messed stuff up. It was poorly paced with any real exposition from him to help it along.

SolVanderlyn

I'm honestly surprised Sasuke held it together as well as he did after experiencing that kind of childhood trauma. Combine that with having crazy cultist ninja out to kidnap you and steal your body later on and it's no wonder he was mentally unstable. He really had the odds stacked against him when it came to making good decisions in life.

His attack on the kage summit and everything he did in that arc, as well as his plan for revolution and impossibly arrogant idea of what it means to be hokage are all signs of someone who's not functioning right in the head. Even Madara's plans were realistic compared to his. I'm probably in the minority when I say that I'm really glad he turned around and was forgiven in the end, if only to finally see him functioning as a normal human being. I agree that the monologue from his point of view changed the perspective on his character a lot.

No way Oro is stronger than Kabuto.

What, Oro got stomped by the sauce, even if he was weakened during that. Oro has the ability to survive almost anything, but he actually doesn't have that much offensive ablities that can get in or break something like Susoono.

Orochimaru has only had one fight without a handicap in the manga, and that was against Sarutobi. The death god jutsu permanently crippled him, and all he was left with was summons. He never pulled off a hand-seal jutsu again until he retrieved his arms from the death gods stomach. He never really went all out in the manga, despite the hype about his vast knowledge of ninjutsu.

The plot of Sasuke going to the dark side was set up very early on with the cursed seal and Orochimaru. That's the thing. Originally, it was never just about friendship. It was also about not letting, at the time, the most dangerous villain in the manga, get his hands on something that would make him even more powerful. Given the the state of Konoha after the Chuunin exam arc, it wasn't just a concern of Naruto's, but also the entire village's concern. Additionally, Sasuke's own life was on the line, since once Orochimaru took him over, he would be as good as dead. That's what gave everything its urgency.

However once Orochimaru was out of the picture, there was no real legitimate reason to save Sasuke. It became worse when Itachi died, and Sasuke had less of a reason to be an antagonist. Naruto transformed from wanting to save sasuke life to bowing and apologizing for sasuke's decisions like a parent. And Sasuke with every passing chapter would have a new contrived reason for his desperate actions.

rrc1594

tumblr_neoynhWcDL1suwgsgo1_500.jpg

Khezu

The plot of Sasuke going to the dark side was set up very early on with the cursed seal and Orochimaru. That's the thing. Originally, it was never just about friendship. It was also about not letting, at the time, the most dangerous villain in the manga, get his hands on something that would make him even more powerful. Given the the state of Konoha after the Chuunin exam arc, it wasn't just a concern of Naruto's, but also the entire village's concern. Additionally, Sasuke's own life was on the line, since once Orochimaru took him over, he would be as good as dead. That's what gave everything its urgency.

However once Orochimaru was out of the picture, the reason to save Sasuke went out the window. It became worse when Itachi died, and Sasuke had less of a reason to be an antagonist. Naruto transformed from wanting to save sasuke life to bowing and apologizing for sasuke's decisions like a parent. And Sasuke with every passing chapter would have a new contrived reason for his desperate actions.

IMO the manga would have been so much better if the evil/dark Sasuke arc ended after Itachi died.
Naruto should have intervened with that fight, and fought along Sasuke, and then TNJed him into not killing Itachi. Then with Itachi seeing his brother not be a piece of shit, and have friends that cared about it, he could have finally opened up to him, and told the two of them about what really happened.

With that, they could have done something better with Danzo as an antagonist.

Sasuke being away from team 7 really fucked up part 2.

So similar to the "Road to Sakura" filler in the anime that lead up to the RTN movie; Hanabi will be getting a special episode on December 4th before the movie airs....

Plus the Anime will add extra portions in 2015 as it reaches the finale!

Likely extending the Sasuke vs Naruto fight and adding more post war stories

Zeroth

The anime is the big chance to expand on the roster, what they do and give more meat to the story itself. Looking forward to it

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So similar to the "Road to Sakura" filler in the anime that lead up to the RTN movie; Hanabi will be getting a special episode in December before the movie airs....

Likely extending the Sasuke vs Naruto fight and add more post war stories
I am expecting extensions in a lot of areas . Hopefully more post war stuff

What exact chapter is the anime on now? They are just about to pull the tailed beasts from obito

Welfare

So similar to the "Road to Sakura" filler in the anime that lead up to the RTN movie; Hanabi will be getting a special episode on December 4th before the movie airs....

Post War filler might actually be good.

Fox318

I just don't want to see Hanabi as the head Hyuga Clan. Especially after Hinata played such a key roll in the war.

I get that she is going to be kidnapped but don't try and push the story of Hinata being beneath her skills.

If Hanabi was so strong we would have seen more of her during the war and if she was hidden away to protect the Hyuga bloodline then she wasn't the crazy powerful person she was made out to be in the beginning.

I just don't want them to drag Hiashi out and make it seem like his opinion of Hinata hasn't changed since she was 12.

Uzumaki Goku

So the anime will at least try to make up for the manga's shortcomings? Good to know but I've never been much of a follower of the anime

Maddocks

Def going to be weird not reading the manga on tuesday-wends-thurs anymore. I still have bleach, but I checked out out of that manga awhile ago and only really keep up with it out of habit.

Fox318

So the anime will at least try to make up for the manga's shortcomings? Good to know but I've never been much of a follower of the anime

I always got the feeling that the writers of the anime wanted really really badly to do their own thing with the characters. Even for as bad as the filler episodes went each one tried to use the existing characters for dramatic or comedic elements or insert the characters and their personal flaws into a created character. It didn't always work but with the exception of a few it never felt like they just completely gave up on the material.

I think Naruto would have been really really interesting if it was anime only. The anime writers clearly fell in love with Hinata's character and I think that had some influence on the manga.

I imagine the shows popularity and budget would have been much higher and the writers would have done some interesting things.

Fj0823

The good fillers were the ones with all the characters interacting together. like the bar episode were Hinata is depressed because her father chose Neji to be leader of the Hyugas in the war.

Or the fillers with Gaara, to be honest before getting into the manga, not knowing what was filler or canon, and sitting through those episodes made me really like some characters that are neglected in the mamga.

but then we got stupid flashback filler...

If they make episodes exploring the couples, or building the new village, or focused on the future Kage, it may be really good.

And thank god the studio is all Hinata fans, otherwise I'm sure the movie would not have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom