• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on the point that no manga has caught me like Naruto and I've read and follow a substantial amount. One piece at its highs are great but way too many arcs just drag on forever, the Marineford arc is just so amazing, top 10 arc of any manga for me. All of part 2 is so boring right now, Fishman island is so crap.

If your 're gonna get in to one piece read the manga, the anime is horribly paced now.
agree 100% on this. I've said it before but One Piece just has too many characters and sometimes it focuses soooo fucking long on shit I just don't care about. It's really hard to watch for me. The Manga is also a hard read for me. I watched almost all of it too but it was a slog. Just not for me I guess.

Hunter x Hunter falls into a similar trap of focusing a long time on things I just don't have much interest in.

Naruto has always grabbed me even during its dips. I care about and enjoy all of the characters but it still mostly focuses on Naruto's story, which I've always liked. But the detours were all minor and great and involved those characters I like.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One Piece hasn't felt the same for me since the timeskip.
Same. I still like it, but something feels off. Dressrosa is the first arc that really seems to be heading back in the right direction, but it feels really frenetic and like it doesn't have enough focus. It's jumping all over the place, and it's hard to follow. Fishman Island was missing a good set of villains (the story itself was pretty cool, with Noah/Poseidon/all that other important stuff) and Punk Hazard was a mini-arc, so there's that.

Frog-fu

Banned
Same. I still like it, but something feels off. Dressrosa is the first arc that really seems to be heading back in the right direction, but it feels really frenetic and like it doesn't have enough focus. It's jumping all over the place, and it's hard to follow. Fishman Island was missing a good set of villains (the story itself was pretty cool, with Noah/Poseidon/all that other important stuff) and Punk Hazard was a mini-arc, so there's that.

For me, what makes it feel so different, is the crew interaction. They're just not as together as they used to be like way back when in Alabasta for example, going on crazy adventures, with all of them doing something crazy and fun but close to another.

Now it seems; get to island X > split up in groups > do shit separately > regroup > split up > regroup and beat arc villain > leave > repeat

I miss that togetherness of pre-timeskip One Piece.

The only time Naruto lost me, was went Obito absorbed the Juubi. I honestly don't remember much of that, I'm looking forward watching it on the anime where speeches won't take half a month or more.

Frog-fu

Banned
agreed, just for the animation.

Brofist.

Because of the return of the shitty crew.

Zoro can stay. The rest I don't care about.

ready-to-fight-bruce-lee.gif

You fucking take that back or meet me somewhere, bro.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Haha Frog, you are always starting stuff with people if you think they have a bad opinion. I'm not calling you out, I love it. Most passionate NaruGAF member for sure.

And the crew is what OP is all about. Luffy's makeshift crew during Impel Down -> Marineford was boss, this much is true. But the Straw Hats are irreplaceable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You have my attention. How long does it take for the series to pick up? Is the anime a good enough adaptation?

Also, did anyone ever play that Rock Lee 3DS game? Was it any good? I'm jonesing for some Naruto, and I've played UNS3 to death by now. Actually, let me broaden the question - what are your favorite Naruto games?

I don't watch anime at all so I don't know. Like I said, the art is a bit of hit and miss--I like it--and even in earlier parts of Toriko you can see so many amazing stuff in Toriko's world, such as a massive underground labyrinth, a mountain-shaking mammoth, an incredibly large waterfall, etc etc... the food stuffs are amazing too, and they all come together to form an experience that is, for me, so great to enjoy.

Lately One Piece is just boring with fights fights fights fights fights with people yelling all the time and an ADD-riddled scene changing system that jumps from scene to scene so quickly it's jarring, unfocused, annoying, and just generally uggggh.

One Piece hasn't felt the same for me since the timeskip.

It's because it is basically the same, despite the whole timeskip's supposed to be something fresh and new. Turn out the "New" World is just the same like the old world, all over again and again and again.

Is Toriko really that good? How is the art? Lots of great battles? I really want to read One Piece but Find the task daunting and always found the art off putting. I got into it watching it on Toonami.

the art improve drastically as the series goes on
it has a One Piece, DBZ, HXH vibe where it dabbles in all but tries to make its own story
world building is phenomenal
it is only 288 chapters currently so it would be a easier to catch up on then One Piece

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One Piece discussion in the Naruto thread.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/2204804/sad-naruto-6-o.gif[img]

I was hoping the new manga was leaked early on Saturday =([/QUOTE]

I only discuss OP here in terms of how sucky it is right now, which is like, 10000% sucky.

It's painful to read these last chapters of One Piece. Say what you want about Naruto's plot wackiness, but at least Kishimoto doesn't change scene and people like, every five seconds or so :/

I only discuss OP here in terms of how sucky it is right now, which is like, 10000% sucky.

It's painful to read these last chapters of One Piece. Say what you want about Naruto's plot wackiness, but at least Kishimoto doesn't change scene and people like, every five seconds or so :/
The reverse harem no jutsu is brilliant lol.

yeah the pacing in OP currently is not so smooth

especially since it was really epic a few months ago but now certain main fights are either stalled or placed off screen in favour of more fodder introductions :/

if you look at all the arcs the most famous ones are the ones that Oda doesn't stretch too long... I want to see more of the world... I don't want to be stuck in one location for 2 or more years

todd360

I saw a girl with a uchiha shirt at work today. She was very pretty and she probably loves the sauce going by her shirt. I wanted to say something about her shirt to her, but she was with a guy so I left her alone.

I wish I had a girlfriend like uchiha fan girl. I wish I could have good talk no jutsu as well.

One piece is better than naruto. This is coming from a guy who thought that nothing could ever top naruto back when I watched it on old toonami. Even people who think naruto is better would have to recommend one piece to you.
I don't think it's better but in the end it all depends on your taste and what you're looking for in a series. The negatives I mentioned are positives for some people.

BACK TO NARUTO TALK GUYS.

If Itachi was still alive I'd fully support him getting involved with Ino. Discuss.

I like the variety of abilities/techniques that Naruto has. I feel like I myself can't really think of many original techniques that wouldn't just be a rehash of something that's already in Naruto. I mean, i'm sure there are other animes (well I hope) that do have a wide variety of techniques that don't have too many things similar to Naruto. Can anyone recommend me anything?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Y'all are making me not want to read OP.
Did you enjoy the Red Ribbon saga of dragon ball, where the protagonist, with zero fucks given, stared straight in the face of a giant, unopposed political and/or Military force, boldly proclaimed "Get the hell out of my way/I'm going to kick your ass," and then proceed to raise hell wherever they walked until they made good on that promise? Do you enjoy the power of motherfucking friendship? Villains you love to hate? The grandest of adventures and age of exploration type shit? Then you will love One Piece. There's a good reason why it's sold roughly as well as Dragon Ball and Naruto combined.

Maddocks

One Piece will hit you right on the feels sometimes,really bad tears streaming down your face style. Its worth it for that alone.

My favorite Dog is the one with the bandages.

I tried to get into One Piece multiple times (Manga, 4kids,Cartoon Network, Toonami, Movies) and out of all of them the Manga was the worst. Pages upon pages of dialog, a kajillion characters on screens, it was a like a chore in every page. Luffy lifting his arms and screaming and people opening their mouth with their eyes protruding out got old instantly, yet it kept and kept happening.

It's not worth enduring that, even if there's good parts coming up.

Just re-watched Rock Lee vs. Gaara, and it´s still the best fight in Naruto.

One piece is better than naruto. This is coming from a guy who thought that nothing could ever top naruto back when I watched it on old toonami. Even people who think naruto is better would have to recommend one piece to you.

No it is not. No i do not recommend one piece to him. Not everyone would appreciate the art or the characters. Why are you guys about this here?

Did you enjoy the Red Ribbon saga of dragon ball, where the protagonist, with zero fucks given, stared straight in the face of a giant, unopposed political and/or Military force, boldly proclaimed "Get the hell out of my way/I'm going to kick your ass," and then proceed to raise hell wherever they walked until they made good on that promise? Do you enjoy the power of motherfucking friendship? Villains you love to hate? The grandest of adventures and age of exploration type shit? Then you will love One Piece. There's a good reason why it's sold roughly as well as Dragon Ball and Naruto combined.

Yeah, the reason is that it has more volume than both individually. DBZ sold 156 million with 42 volumes. That´s around 3.7 million pr volume.

Pein

Banned

No they wouldn't. I haven't liked One piece since the time skip, so I won't go tell people to read it because Oda pads the shit out of it and its felt so uneventful for the past 3+ years. One Piece is at its best when its not jumping around to every crew member having a random battle just for the sake of giving them something to do.

I also hate that he made every girl in his manga so embarrassing to look at, I have no idea why he would make them all walking tits.

The worst thing about OP is the characters. I could not care about them any less and character growth and relation are vital in long running shounen series. I remember trying to get into the manga ages ago and dropped it within 10 chapters. Oh and don't even get me started on the art style. Its disgusting.

I would recommend Bleach over OP. Bleach actually had some amazing arcs and likeable characters. Soul Society arc still to this day is one of my favourites in any anime.

Pein

Banned
The worst thing about OP is the characters. I could not care about them any less and character growth and relation are vital in long running shounen series. I remember trying to get into the manga ages ago and dropped it within 10 chapters.

Thats not giving it a fair try though, most people would say give it until the end of Arlong arc. Reading 10 chapters in a 700+ manga seems so insignificant.

Frog-fu

Banned
Ino is best rookie girl. It's a shame she has Sakura syndrome.

I honestly don't get how Ino is free from the same criticism as Sakura and gets all this praise while not being 1/10th as useful or strong. She wasn't even one the same team as Sasuke and still acts like nothing happened, as though two of her teammates didn't nearly die to retrieve him.

But because she took control of Obito for 1 second and managed to connect the shinobi alliance she's "awesome!" while people in the same breath will rag on how terrible Sakura is for actually giving a shit about Sasuke despite having actually been on the same team and bonded with him. People still Sakura by shit she did early on in Part I and pretend she's still a self-centred fangirl that beats the shit out of Naruto for nothing because she feels like it. They completely ignore her growth, from disliking Naruto initially, to realising her own weaknesses and coming to respect and support him and grow as a shinobi worthy of being called Tsunade's successor.

Sakura's greatest flaws aren't even her own fault. It's Kishimoto's. He clearly had no idea what to do with her after the Sasori fight, so whenever we did see her, she wasn't fighting, and of course that made her useless because what is so useful about saving lives?

</rant>

todd360

Was not expecting that much one piece hate. Especially the comment that recommended bleach over one piece. Bleach was amazing at the rescue arc and then rapidly became garbage.

One piece sells better than everything else for a reason.
its the best of the big 3.

Edit: anyways sorry for bringing that up in the naruto thread.

At the very least, I consider One Piece to be better than anything Naruto's done for the past eight years (even if the timeskip has dropped in quality a bit, though I've found this is common for any manga that does that).

I mean, I always make an effort to respect others' tastes different from my own regardless of how I feel about current Bleach/Naruto(as in, they're both shit), but that anyone can be excited about Naruto's current events (particularly the Kaguya thing) just baffles me somewhat. :/

also sakura sux

I think the anime is really enhancing this story arc in the manga for me. Yeah it can be a bit of a cluster and the way the story unfolded is a bit funny with the true villains revealing themselves, and yeah the powers are off the charts right now, but still, seeing it play out in the anime has created some amazing moments so far.

I'm genuinely excited to see Kakashi with dual sharingans in the anime, I'm excited to see the So6P/Kaguya. Last episode when team 7 re-united was chalk full of awesome moments. A lot of these things are a little harder to appreciate on the page than they are when you see it. Yeah it's still a bit too craycray but hey it's end game, so I've accepted it.

The thing about OP is that he LORE and backstory is far, far, FAR more interesting than the actual story being told.

That's a huge glaring flaw.

It'd be like me like reading the Codex in Mass Effect, but not the actual gameplay.

Frog-fu

Banned
Was not expecting that much one piece hate. Especially the comment that recommended bleach over one piece. Bleach was amazing at the rescue arc and then rapidly became garbage.

One piece sells better than everything else for a reason.
its the best of the big 3.

Edit: anyways sorry for bringing that up in the naruto thread.

I absolutely adore One Piece but I don't think the popularity (sales) = quality argument is ever a good way of going about making your point.

Also, One Piece's great success could be hugely attributed to the fact it was pretty much Dragonball at the start and began serialisation after DBGT ended.

Clueless, loveable dolt of a protagonist goes on an epic adventure making friends along the way. The parallels between Goku and Luffy are obvious (though I always found Luffy's stupidity to be very self-imposed, unlike Goku who lived alone in the mountains), Zoro/Piccolo, Nami/Bulma, Usopp/Krillin, Sanji/Yamcha, Chopper/Gohan (notice how Chopper can get super strong when needed and is always rescued by the Zoro/Picoolo), and so on.

It's not just the characters that are similar. I've always been reminded of Piccolo's stretching ability and Goku's Kai&#333;ken when it comes to Luffy's Gears.

Which reminds me, how come One Piece gets away with so much shit that Naruto gets lambasted for? Random power ups? It doesn't really get anymore random than Luffy busting out his gears, Zoro busting out Asura and Sanji with Diable Jambe.

Plot protection? Sasuke gets hate for being Deidara by having an elemental advantage, but nobody says shit about Luffy beating Enel, or Nami beating Mrs Doublefinger or Khalifa?

I love One Piece, I do, but I don't think it's better than Naruto. I think it has the advantage of having one big overarching story that gets build gradually over many arcs, but those arcs are very repetitive go to an island > meet strange characters > meet villain > beat villain > repeat. That gets rather boring and with all these irrelevant characters on screen, it's easy to lose interest.

Naruto, while the story has gone downhill, it is never boring to me. I'm always hyped for the next chapter, looking forward to new revelations and stuff like that.

fake edit; ya I guess we should stop talking about One Piece now.

We are so close to new chapter. Predictions right now. How does kishimoto explain Kakashi's susanoo or does he even try? What is Kakashi's next feat. Go go go.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Every time someone in here says Pein instead of Pain it hurts me on the inside.

Sorry, poster named Pein.

Frog-fu

Banned
We are so close to new chapter. Predictions right now. How does kishimoto explain Kakashi's susanoo or does he even try? What is Kakashi's next feat. Go go go.

I'm hoping for minimal explanation since we can already piece together how Kakashi got his Sharingan from Obito due to Tobirama's explanation of the Sharingan.

Obito entered Kakashi's body, thus his chakra affected Kakashi's optic nerves and gave him his Sharingan. Since we didn't see Obito return to Rin and he told Kakashi his power up would have a time limit, we can deduce Kakashi's Susanoo, or perhaps more aptly, Obito's Susanoo, is not permanent.

I'm really hoping to see Naruto's new Bij&#363; Mode soon, though I doubt we'll see it next chapter. Maybe the Hokage will be up to some shit, I dunno.

Ya, I tend to use Pain as well.

Pain = Nagato using Six Paths through other bodies
Nagato = Nagato using the Six Paths through his own body

If Nagato were mobile, he'd be beastly as fuck.

Pein

Banned

Eh, I got this user name on the naruto forums when the Akatsuki leader was unveiled through early spoilers and translation was a bit wonky. I use it interchangeably like Guy and Gai.

Remember when people called pain Akutsuki leader and though he was Minato?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom