• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Rin didn't even like Obito. She was totally into Kakashi.
The flashbacks make it harder to say. She obviously had a crush on Kakashi but she seemed to be developing feeling for Obito. Then there was the whole afterlife thing and it's just kind of a mess.

I can't tell if Kishimoto has just given up or doesn't care about things making sense anymore.

*edit*
Top of the page?
Here's Kakashi's thoughts on his new plot powers.

tumblr_na58ul5UOG1sg3az9o1_500.gif

The flashbacks make it harder to say. She obviously had a crush on Kakashi but she seemed to be developing feeling for Obito. Then there was the whole afterlife thing and it's just kind of a mess.

I can't tell if Kishimoto has just given up or doesn't care about things making sense anymore.
Nah Rin was just being nice to Obito every now and then so the loser doesn't kill himself or go on a murderous rampage after being rejected.

She wanted that Kakashi love.

Welfare

Sasuke is a scrub and always has been.

Naruto got soft and didn't beat him when he could

Trying to remember the Valley of the End fight, but during the Chidori/Rasengan fight, wasn't Naruto only going after Sasuke's headband? Sasuke would've probably been in Konoha hospital along with Naruto if he wasn't trying to be Sasuke's equal.

If there is one thing that really annoys me about Uchiha power ups it's that there are fans that somehow think that eye power ups make them stronger physically. Like, how is Sasuke faster (not counting his teleportation jutsu) now than he was when he fought against A?

He certainly is, that's a fact. But is because of the Indra/Sage power and not because of his rinnegan.

We know he is faster because he can fight against Sage Madara, who is otherwise too fast for even Minato.

-Ryn

Banned
Trying to remember the Valley of the End fight, but during the Chidori/Rasengan fight, wasn't Naruto only going after Sasuke's headband? Sasuke would've probably been in Konoha hospital along with Naruto if he wasn't trying to be Sasuke's equal.
Yeah he was aiming for his headband because of the challenge Sasuke made. Now imagine if instead he had just focused on kicking his ass...

He certainly is, that's a fact. But is because of the Indra/Sage power and not because of his rinnegan.

We know he is faster because he can fight against Sage Madara, who is otherwise too fast for even Minato.
I will always love how Naruto was said to be the fastest ninja alive (so fast that he could essentially flash step like Minato without jutsu) and then he NEVER USED THAT SPEED WHEN IT WOULD'VE BEEN BENEFICIAL.

luckyguess

Neo Member
I will always love how Naruto was said to be the fastest ninja alive (so fast that he could essentially flash step like Minato without jutsu) and then he NEVER USED THAT SPEED WHEN IT WOULD'VE BEEN BENEFICIAL.

Didn't he use it when he ripped one of Kaguya's arms off? I don't think she just allowed him to waltz over there slowly and do it.

Frog-fu

Banned
Sasuke will be as powerful as Kishimoto needs him to be. That's the true power of the Uchiha.
Naruto is still better though

I dunno about that. Sasuke hasn't really had a decisive victory since Danzō, and that was with help from Karin.

It's like Naruto already forgot what a massive shit head Obito was. Dude wanted to live in adream land all because "Rin." You don't see Kakshi acting like a lil bitch about circumstances. The Uchias are the most bitchmade characters shonen history.

I think Naruto was referring to the "real" Obito - not the one that became evil, which is similar to his respect for Nagato and Itachi, who both did bad shit, but were good guys deep down. That's really just Naruto though, he sees the good in people no matter how deep it's buried.

But he whooped Naruto ass when they fought lol, without a bijuu fueling him.

Naruto spared Sasuke at the end though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but Sharingan was much better when it was used primarily for reading other people's movements and copying their techniques.

MS/EMS has ruined Sasuke's fighting style.

Eh, I don't think so. I think Rin had a crush on Kakashi, sure, but she always liked Obito as a friend at least, and claims to have always been watching him. I think ObiRin is canon as far as a ghost couple can be canon.

He got an eye power up. That doesn't magically make him faster. Sasuke barely fought Madara at all, he used his teleportation technique to dodge twice and bisected him when Madara had his back turned whilst stealing Kakashi's Sharingan. Madara clearly wasn't bothered and was being a condescending dickbag.

Minato telegraphed that attack in more ways than one. There's no way Madara wouldn't have sensed him gathering Sage Energy, and that straightforward attack was a desperate move to begin with.

I think the fact Kishimoto chose to give Sasuke a teleportation power up is telling insofar as comparing his physical speed to others.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Remember when Sasuke copied Lee's taijutsu and then used it in the chuunin exam? He hasn't done anything like that ever again. I remember that they even made a big deal about him watching other people's matches because he could just copy all of their techniques.

luckyguess

Neo Member
Eh, I don't think so. I think Rin had a crush on Kakashi, sure, but she always liked Obito as a friend at least, and claims to have always been watching him. I think ObiRin is canon as far as a ghost couple can be canon.

Agreed. Let Obito have Rin. I mean, for god sake, he sure proved he wanted her bad enough. Kakashi is a grown ass man. He should settle down with a current woman from one of the villages (Kurenai is recently available) instead of holding out until his death for his undying crush on a little girl. How creepy is that *cough*Obito*cough*?

I think people misunderstand the whole Obito/Rin obsession. They keep taking it for face value which of course seems ridiculous but there's more to it then some weird creepy crush. It's not just the memory of a girl he loved that he was clinging to. It was his innocence. He felt he was the best version of himself when he was there, with Rin and Kakashi. It's that piece of himself that he refused to let go until the very end. In the after-life he hopes he can be that person.

And Rin is just the visual representation of it all.

*edit*
Top of the page?
Here's Kakashi's thoughts on his new plot powers.

tumblr_na58ul5UOG1sg3az9o1_500.gif

Nah Rin was just being nice to Obito every now and then so the loser doesn't kill himself or go on a murderous rampage after being rejected.

She wanted that Kakashi love.

what the hell are you guys talking about this was totally Obito being a paranoid punk.
I never saw a love triangle between these people

must have flew over my head if Rin was into Kakashi

this is like saying Sakura was into Naruto, she lied to stop Naruto from pushing himself so hard to keep his promise was the only feelings I got from Sakura toward Naruto

can you guys clear up this Rin + Kakashi stuff?

what the hell are you guys talking about this was totally Obito being a paranoid punk.

this is like saying Sakura was into Naruto, she lied to stop Naruto from pushing himself so hard to keep his promise was the only feelings I got from Sakura toward Naruto

Rin confirmed it in the first flashback. You srs?
naruto-4763.jpg

Rin is about to confess but Kakashi denies her. It's more clear in the official translation which I have right beside me.

Frog-fu

Banned
I think people misunderstand the whole Obito/Rin obsession. They keep taking it for face value which of course seems ridiculous but there's more to it then some weird creepy crush. It's not just the memory of a girl he loved that he was clinging to. It was his innocence. He felt he was the best version of himself when he was there, with Rin and Kakashi. It's that piece of himself that he refused to let go until the very end. In the after-life he hopes he can be that person.

This. I always have to roll my eyes at people that blindly call Obito a pedophile. It's just, what the fuck people, can you not read between the lines, do you comprehend the subtext of this series?

Rin was Obito's trigger. Her death pushed him over the edge, and it made him vulnerable and susceptible to Madara's manipulation. The fact he held onto her for so long just shows how much the real Obito hated what he had become and how much he wanted a do-over at life, so he could live it perfectly, the way it was "intended" in his mind, that's why he rejected reality and chose to create a new one.

When it really comes down to it Obito was just like Naruto, a lonely orphan who didn't know who his parents were and lost the most important person to him. The only difference is that Madara came into his life, saw his weakness, and exploited it.

Seriously people, read 653 again. It's such a good chapter.

Which is also why Naruto has an easy time relating with him. Naruto himself expressed that he was lucky that Iruka took him on as a father figure. If it were someone like Madara, Naruto would be on a completely different path. Just like Sasuke/Orochimaru. Victims of circumstance that always have the power to change their ways before it's too late.

Frog-fu

Banned
Which is also why Naruto has an easy time relating with him. Naruto himself expressed that he was lucky that Iruka took him on as a father figure. If it were someone like Madara, Naruto would be on a completely different path. Just like Sasuke/Orochimaru. Victims of circumstance that always have the power to change their ways before it's too late.

Naruto had a tough childhood, but he had a grandfather in Hiruzen, an older brother/father figure in Iruka, extended family in Teuchi and Ayame, and as time went on something of an uncle in Kakashi, a father figure in Jiraiya and probably as close as it gets to a mother figure in Tsunade. And he made a lot of friends.

Obito sacrificed his life to save a friend and miraculously survived only to have the girl he loved set up for murder by the one he entrusted her safety with. It's crazy. I also really like chapter 655 when Obito's talking about his descend into darkness, and I really feel for the guy, as disgusting as his actions were. Obito deserved death, that much is true, and even he said so himself, but damn.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Naruto also parallels himself with Gaara back when he was a murderous, world hating psychopath. Part of the reason Naruto can so easily forgive people like Gaara, Nagato, and Obito is because he understands their reasoning all too well. He acknowledges that his friends and family are the one thing keeping him on the right path. It's also why his talk no jutsu is so effective on these people; he knows and understands them well, so he's able to talk directly to their hearts.

luckyguess

Neo Member

There is no misunderstanding. We are all well aware about why Obito lost his shit. However, the romantic obsession with Rin is also there and you can see that in how he still talked about hoping to get alone time with Rin even in the afterlife. There was no talk about wanting the old team back, only Rin. So, there is nothing wrong in your interpretation but there is also some merit to the notion that he had a crush on a little girl that he never let go of even as a man.

-Ryn

Banned
Didn't he use it when he ripped one of Kaguya's arms off? I don't think she just allowed him to waltz over there slowly and do it.
Yes he used it that one time out of the many other times it would have been useful. It's either a case of "forgot his powers" or "conservation of ninjutsu", neither of which is handled very well because to my knowledge it isn't taxing on him at all to use his speed.

As Cloud pointed out, she did have a crush on Kakashi that was confirmed in her very first appearance ever.

It was essentially the definition of a love triangle. When Rin found out he loved her I'm not sure how that affected her feelings for him but it seems she does have them now. Obito wasn't being paranoid for thinking she like Kakashi. It was obvious.

Naruto had a tough childhood, but he had a grandfather in Hiruzen, an older brother/father figure in Iruka, extended family in Teuchi and Ayame, and as time went on something of an uncle in Kakashi, a father figure in Jiraiya and probably as close as it gets to a mother figure in Tsunade. And he made a lot of friends.

Obito sacrificed his life to save a friend and miraculously survived only to have the girl he loved set up for murder by the one he entrusted her safety with. It's crazy. I also really like chapter 655 when Obito's talking about his descend into darkness, and I really feel for the guy, as disgusting as his actions were. Obito deserved death, that much is true, and even he said so himself, but damn.
Well the thing with Naruto is that he didn't get those friends until much later in his life. Up to that point he had been persecuted, hated, turned away, and left complete alone without ever knowing why. The one person who was there for him was Iruka. Hiruzen and Kakashi didn't do shit until way later and it makes no sense whatsoever. None of his childhood makes any sense actually.

Obito meanwhile didn't have that problem but was pushed over the edge for an entirely different reason (one which I find debatable as good). I hate the "Uchiha curse" because it doesn't excuse the actions of the Uchiha. It just makes them seem worse because they can so easily go off the deep end due to evil brain chakra. It's a terribly lazy way of trying to make them look sympathetic. If Madara had say brain washed the hell out of Obito that would've been better than Rin being the trigger for genocide on an insane scale. I agree with you thoughts on the Obito Rin thing. Nice write up. The whole "creepy for still holding on to underage Rin" is exaggerated and shouldn't be taken at face value (though I have no doubt they are totally going to bone in Ninja Heaven).

Naruto is essentially Ninja Jesus at this point. I think the message of forgiveness and how vengeance only serves to create a cycle of hate are good, but it feels like Naruto doesn't even feel resentment. Stuff like Nagato where you could see that Naruto was fighting himself to not just kill him were better examples I think.

There is no misunderstanding. We are all well aware about why Obito lost his shit. However, the romantic obsession with Rin is also there and you can see that in how he still talked about hoping to get alone time with Rin even in the afterlife. There was no talk about wanting the old team back, only Rin. So, there is nothing wrong in your interpretation but there is also some merit to the notion that he had a crush on a little girl that he never let go of even as a man.
but once again, you're being purposely obtuse about it. Are you saying Old man Obito still wants to get with this girl? He's in love with the idea of her and what she represents. He's obsessed with that old version of himself that he wants to relive in the afterlife. In the afterlife he isn't old man Obito, he was his young self. There's nothing creepy about that. It's just someone who lost his way wanting to back to the way things were.

I'm not saying he didn't love Rin, of course he did. But that's just part of it. He wants to be with Rin because she brought out the best in him. And he was at his best when he was his young self. That's the only time he was happy in his life so that's the part he wants to relive in the afterlife.

luckyguess

Neo Member
I'm not saying he didn't love Rin, of course he did. But that's just part of it. He wants to be with Rin because she brought out the best in him. And he was at his best when he was his young self. That's the only time he was happy in his life so that's the part he wants to relive in the afterlife.

Though I did take a humorous jab at what it looks like from an outside perspective, I actually do get that his desire to be with Rin is innocent and it was in fact emphasized by the fact that he's always in child form when confronting her.

I suppose my ultimate point is that I hope Rin is not the reason behind why Kakashi has remained romantically unlinked to this point. Obito has the excuse of a mental breakdown to fall back on. Kakashi holding out for her would indeed be straight up creepy, in my opinion. The fact that his memory of her is as a child being the least of reasons why.

-Ryn

Banned
but once again, you're being purposely obtuse about it. Are you saying Old man Obito still wants to get with this girl? He's in love with the idea of her and what she represents. He's obsessed with that old version of himself that he wants to relive in the afterlife. In the afterlife he isn't old man Obito, he was his young self. There's nothing creepy about that. It's just someone who lost his way wanting to back to the way things were.

Is Obito like reverse Shinji?

So pumped about next chapter.

I'm expecting either a slow chapter going into detail about the BS that happened last chapter. Or Kakashi and Naruto kicking so much ass I wouldn't care about logic.

FStubbs

I think it's telling that afterlife Obito is young Obito again. In his mind, in his heart, he never grew up. If you think of the Obito we see as that same kid, a lot of his words and actions make sense. It's why he could get into a yelling match with Naruto - they're on the same maturity level; no, Naruto is slightly more mature.

It's also telling that Obito used the same cave he fell into when he "died" as his base. He not only never grew up, he never left that cave.

-Ryn

Banned
So pumped about next chapter.

I'm expecting either a slow chapter going into detail about the BS that happened last chapter. Or Kakashi and Naruto kicking so much ass I wouldn't care about logic.
It could be very cathartic.

I must say the episodes in the anime that are dedicated to an epic fight like Naruto vs Sasuke at the Valley of the End or 4 Tail Naruto vs Pain really are incredibly awesome. They make me forget the problems the manga has now.

It's also telling that Obito used the same cave he fell into when he "died" as his base. He not only never grew up, he never left that cave.
So on top of that now he's emo Peter Pan?

Maddocks

Finally Kakashi, finally getting that respect you deserve. Back to being the smartest guy in the room. Shame knowing all 3 will lose their amazing power ups. I can only assume kakashi will lose his sharigans or maybe will be able to only keep one again. I just have a feeling, because as much as I love the power up for him, it all feels very temporary.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kamui Shuriken via Susanoo, Kamui Raikiri....talk about overpowered.

Spongebob

Banned
So Kakashi also got Rikudo powers aswell? Okay.

Kishi won't let Sasuke use the black chidori anymore, but he'll let Kakashi use it. Okay.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why would Kakashis power up be only temporary ? Guy is supposed to be the next Hokage, dont think they will dumb him down again.

Maddocks

Why would Kakashis power up be only temporary ? Guy is supposed to be the next Hokage, dont think they will dumb him down again.

Because if naruto and sasukes power is temp, which it looks to be because once they seal her, they going to seal the gift given to them by the sage. Obioto also said hes going to give kakashi a gift, but it might only be temporary, so once he uses all the chakra up it is also gone.

I just hope he somehow keeps part of it, he needs the sharigan for his lighting cutter and if he doesnt have it, how can he use it properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom