• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 |OT| CC2 Doing Pierrot's Work

We should definitely do some NarutoGAF tournaments, though its sad that spectator mode is out. Shall we give it a couple of weeks for people to get used to the new game?

By all means , let people get acquainted with the new mechanics before anything like a tournament is set it stone. I was just referring to casual online matches.

SilentRob

Where do you use the in game currency to unlock stuff?

I played those games and while the conversations were in engine they were just as redundant and unexciting as the stills especially if you've seen the anime. Just people standing or sitting around, delivering information and exposition in the most condensed form possible. Then there were a few corridors to run down which was another tedious way to stretch out the gameplay time. The only things that stand out are the bossfights and imo that's always been the case (I haven't played Storm 1 so I can't speak to that one). The stills are the cheapest version of their story telling I'll give you that but it honestly doesn't make a huge difference to me.

Look at the Birth of Naruto chapter from UNS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYvm3y7tns

It's one hour of pure narrative with only two fights in between and the game continously presents the narrative in its own way. Again, their are anime stills being used, but this is not at all just people sitting and delivering exposition. This stuff would've been a 5 minute cut of anime stills in UNS4 and with that pretty much all of the emotional pull would have been gone.

Of course there are chapters were people just talk and deliver exposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUwhDzHEHA

But even then CC2 used their own cinematography to actually frame these conversation in an interesting way. They actually had to figure out themselfes how to frame a scene, isntead of just stitching together existing images that kinda but dont really fit together.

I play the games to see a new, more streamlined way of experiencing the narrative of the manga/anime. With its presentation it actually tries something else than the anime does, it gives me something new. UNS4 simply gives me exactly what I already know, just in a more ugly, less emotional and utterly confusing way. Their is no visual identity anymore, instead there are jarring, completely random jumps from anime drawings to game graphics all over the place.

My point is: In the past, UNS games actually brought the story to me in a new, interesting way. And in a way that actually allowed people who newer watched the anime or read the manga to experience the story and enjoy it. I'm playing UNS4 with the same people now and they find it way, way more confusing and jarring than ever before. Because now they really could just watch the anime to get an objectively better experience. Using stills from the Anime isn't a new way of experiencing the story, it's just a way worse version of something I already went through.

There are some places were we just laughing out loud because the scenes were so silly. Like when
Rin was abducted, it first showed a still with a Ninja approaching and then, next still, he has the unconccious Ren in his arms with Kakashi and Obito being totally confused.
You just go "What?! What just happened?!"

Altairre

Look at the Birth of Naruto chapter from UNS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYvm3y7tns

It's one hour of pure narrative with only two fights in between and the game continously presents the narrative in its own way. Again, their are anime stills being used, but this is not at all just people sitting and delivering exposition. This stuff would've been a 5 minute cut of anime stills in UNS4 and with that pretty much all of the emotional pull would have been gone.

Of course there are chapters were people just talk and deliver exposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUwhDzHEHA

But even then CC2 used their own cinematography to actually frame these conversation in an interesting way. They actually had to figure out themselfes how to frame a scene, isntead of just stitching together existing images that kinda but dont really fit together.

I play the games to see a new, more streamlined way of experiencing the narrative of the manga/anime. With its presentation it actually tries something else than the anime does, it gives me something new. UNS4 simply gives me exactly what I already know, just in a more ugly, less emotional and utterly confusing way. Their is no visual identity anymore, instead there are jarring, completely random jumps from anime drawings to game graphics all over the place.

My point is: In the past, UNS games actually brought the story to me in a new, interesting way. And in a way that actually allowed people who newer watched the anime or read the manga to experience the story and enjoy it. I'm playing UNS4 with the same people now and they find it way, way more confusing and jarring than ever before. Because now they really could just watch the anime to get an objectively better experience. Using stills from the Anime isn't a new way of experiencing the story, it's just a way worse version of something I already went through.

There are some places were we just laughing out loud because the scenes were so silly. Like when
Rin was abducted, it first showed a still with a Ninja approaching and then, next still, he has the unconccious Ren in his arms with Kakashi and Obito being totally confused.
You just go "What?! What just happened?!"

That is absolutely a fair point. I'm looking at it from the perspective of somebody who didn't much care about the story mode in the previous games mostly because I had already seen the anime at that point and the way CC2 told it never managed to capture my attention or hit any kind of emotional notes like it did for you (the lack of licensed music from the anime certainly doesn't help, the game's soundtrack pales in comparison unfortunately). I mostly buttoned through the conversations after a while and the on foot sequences never added anything to my experience so the newly interpreted boss battles were by default the highlight of my playthroughs. So in this case the stills basically just refresh my memory and that's that. If you've never seen the anime or are looking for a different way of experiencing that story then yes I agree with you, it is an extremely poor way to do so.

SoulUnison

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;194628632 said:
Yeah. For whatever reason, they took out any kind of spectating online and limited lobbies to 4 people instead of 8. Pretty silly.

So when you're in a room with two or three other people and you're not one of the two playing you just...sit in the lobby with the remaining other guy or by yourself until the players get back?

...Wow.

I guess streaming via the PS4 can alleviate the no spectating issue but its still an annoyance, there was no reason to take it out.

Revven

So when you're in a room with two or three other people and you're not one of the two playing you just...sit in the lobby with the remaining other guy or by yourself until the players get back?

...Wow.

Yeah, basically. You're just staring at a menu screen waiting for your turn instead of spectating the match.

Pretty unacceptable for a fighting game (in the loosest sense Storm is a fighting game series) in 2016.

...Wow.
Yep. Really dumb.
Yeah, basically. You're just staring at a menu screen waiting for your turn instead of spectating the match.

Pretty unacceptable for a fighting game (in the loosest sense Storm is a fighting game series) in 2016.

What doesn't make any sense is that the previous games had it. I have absolutely no idea why they removed it.

jorgejjvr

In a couple of hours, I'll be picking it up at midnight!!

Can't wait to play with gaf

Who will be on for a couple of games?

Fj0823

Is my Boruto and Sarada DLC not working? Got some cards with them but that's it...

Are they available until the game has finished downloading?

The Last ones are working fine...

ramyeon

Is myBoruto and Sarada DLC not working? Got some cards with them but that's it...

Are they available until the game has finished downloading?

The Last ones are working fine...
I couldn't use them until the game had finished installing from the disc. They showed up once I restarted the game after it was done.

SkyB

Banned
Just finished the first story mission got a rank A pretty impressive graphics over PS3 past games. Now ingots biuy Ps+ when I'm done with story mode

There's a PS4 community if you guys want to join and play against others :)

How long is the installation and where is the progress bar?

PS4 here.

It does it while you are playing but restricts you to free battle only. Just restart the PS4 and everything should work fine.

I skipped Revolution, so some of stuff is new to me. My first impressions

+It's very fast and smooth, especially compared to the 360 games. Feels great
+Switching characters mid-fight is a super addition!
+the new Ultimate Jutsus and team finishers look fantastic
-Some of the animations/combos on certain fighters have been around for several iterations now. Feels a bit too familiar playing some of the older characters

Starting story mode now, looking forward to it

I'm only an admire of Naruto in passing and this will be the first one that I have bought since the Ninja Storm 1 on the PS3. I've played demos of the some of the newer ones but realized that they changed the sandbox aspect after the first one so I lost interest. For some reason, I had this game preordered through Amazon and now it has shipped to my home. I'm optimistic about it since my dealings with the series hasn't been that much and the newer elements shouldn't feel too rehashed for me. I did play the demo and liked it but I hope there is more to it when I receive it.

reading through the thread so many people complained about the stills from the anime. They aren't as bad as GAF is making them out to be. It's a storyboard. When you press pause it literally says "return to storyboard". People are just so nitpicky. I can see why the game is getting good scores.

jorgejjvr

The game is pretty fast

This is my first storm game, and I find it a bit chaotic, not always sure what is happening on screen

I'm also not sure why sometimes it feels other players can get combos on me non stop, and can successfully dash and hit me. Yet I get easily blocked. I guess I have to find ways to have an opening, and use my subs, dashes, and teammates better. Im also not sure what the best time is to switch leaders, and not sure what all the items are. And awakening seem very strong, not sure what to do against them, seems like a 'hey I'm losing, let me awaken and make a comeback with no effort'

Its a little disorienting right now, and I'm not always sure what I'm doing, or what I'm supposed to do. But this is probably due to being my first one, some of these players have played all entries

I hope to learn and get adjusted to it

I would love to play with gaf, and get some feedback and help in what I'm doing wrong. It is probably the best way to learn

Mendrox

reading through the thread so many people complained about the stills from the anime. They aren't as bad as GAF is making them out to be. It's a storyboard. When you press pause it literally says "return to storyboard". People are just so nitpicky. I can see why the game is getting good scores.

Sorry, but they use the horrible anime scenes... CC2 cut corners where they shouldn't have. It's sad to see that the cool story mode from UNS2 evolved into the horrible dragged on mode for UNS3 and shits all over everything else in UNS4. Of course the boss fights (hi Madara x 5 or something like that... how about not changing these scenes like before?) are cool as shit like every damn time, but the game itself feels a lot more ... empty?

I dunno I am just disappointed what they have done with all the cool scenes.

The game is pretty fast

This is my first storm game, and I find it a bit chaotic, not always sure what is happening on screen

I'm also not sure why sometimes it feels other players can get combos on me non stop, and can successfully dash and hit me. Yet I get easily blocked. I guess I have to find ways to have an opening, and use my subs, dashes, and teammates better. Im also not sure what the best time is to switch leaders, and not sure what all the items are

Its a little disorienting right now, and I'm not always sure what I'm doing, or what I'm supposed to do. But this is probably due to being my first one, some of these players have played all entries

I hope to learn and get adjusted to it

I would love to play with gaf, and get some feedback and help in what I'm doing wrong. It is probably the best way to learn
Yeah, it will just be a matter of time. I haven't played since NUNS2 so quite a few of the mechanics will be new to me as well and I will have to get comfortable with how it all plays again. You'll progressively get better as you begin to grasp everything occurring.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, it will just be a matter of time. I haven't played since NUNS2 so quite a few of the mechanics will be new to me as well and I will have to get comfortable with how it all plays again. You'll progressively get better as you begin to grasp everything occurring.
Cool, looking forward to it

I forgot to mention how awakening seem op, hope I'm wrong

Sorry, but they use the horrible anime scenes... CC2 cut corners where they shouldn't have. It's sad to see that the cool story mode from UNS2 evolved into the horrible dragged on mode for UNS3 and shits all over everything else in UNS4. Of course the boss fights (hi Madara x 5 or something like that... how about not changing these scenes like before?) are cool as shit like every damn time, but the game itself feels a lot more ... empty?

Sounds like disappointment from expectation. Which I completely understand. As someone new to the series tho, I'm watching and not seeing a problem. The stills are HD. They put an old movie reel type filter on it and it's fitting. It's not like you're looking at a picture sit there for 10 seconds. They're constantly blending In new stills to drive the story.

I wish I had played some of the previous games....actually I don't. Most of the complaints are "they took this out" or "why isn't this like 2 or 3". I'd probably feel jaded too. Just gonna sit back and enjoy. Fun game so far.

jorgejjvr

Sounds like disappointment from expectation. Which I completely understand. As someone new to the series tho, I'm watching and not seeing a problem. The stills are HD. They put an old movie reel type filter on it and it's fitting. It's not like you're looking at a picture sit there for 10 seconds. They're constantly blending In new stills to drive the story.

I wish I had played some of the previous games....actually I don't. Most of the complaints are "they took this out" or "why isn't this like 2 or 3". I'd probably feel jaded too. Just gonna sit back and enjoy. Fun game so far.
Yeah first one for me too, so I don't mind at all

The game play, boss fights and other cut scenes are great still anyways

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

It would make sense for them to cut corners. They are working on 3 HD UE4 games at one time(FF7 being one of them), not including this game.

They are essentially stretched thin, and Naruto is no longer their highest priority.

Yeah, it would be cool to continue to have balls to the wall campaigns like 2 and 3, but this was probably the only realistic way the game was going to be done, they probably saved themselves tons of time, money and resources. I can't complain when the end product is still amazing.

You kind of get used to lower expectations in this manner. The Naruto games have come a long way in regards to content and scope from the Ultimate Ninja PS2 versions(, and even the earlier Storm games.

Things that were around then were taken out(permanent awakenings, separate ultimate between awakening and normal form for very character), things kept(team mechanics) and thing brought back(team ultimates), but the games have still remained fun

EhoaVash

so the Last naruto and sasuke + boruto and sarada were unlocked....i thought the Last Hinata and sakura were also unlocked? i don't see them in the selection screen ??

IzzyF3

Amazon copy wouldn't get here until Thursday. I have 11 episodes of non-fillers and The Last to watch before then.

Pein

Banned
A lot of characters got a speed boost, Kisame plays amazingly now.

I dislike they removed some awakenings, regular susanoo being gone sucks.

Revven

My copy from Amazon has shipped, won't get here until Thursday sadly but I'm alright with that -- in no rush.

EhoaVash

Is there a way to cancel out audio coming from the DS4 controller in story mode? I'm not seeing it in the options. I would rather it come out off my TV ._.

Top Bottom