• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
teruterubozu said:
:lol Scientists couldn't even get the recent Chile tsunami predictions correct here on earth. I'll take this w/a grain of salt.
Earthquake predictions will never ever happen simply because it is way too hard. The only thing they can do currently is measure the first few seismic movements and send out a warning that is, at best, 5 mins prior to the big thing. Even then these warnings rely upon the fault line measurements - some of which are still not navigated properly.

At least with a solar storm like this, the distance between the sun and our planet is enough to allow light to travel prior to a manifestation of energy.

speedpop said:
Earthquake predictions will never ever happen simply because it is way too hard. The only thing they can do currently is measure the first few seismic movements and send out a warning that is, at best, 5 mins prior to the big thing. Even then these warnings rely upon the fault line measurements - some of which are still not navigated properly.

At least with a solar storm like this, the distance between the sun and our planet is enough to allow light to travel prior to a manifestation of energy.

I'm talking about the aftermath of the earthquake (several days later) and the trajectory/force of the tsunami. Scientists had everybody in Hawaii panicking like fucking crazy with tsunami sirens going off, and it ended up being nothing.

Bentendo

SpacLock said:
You can't be serious!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Okay, I swear I should have known that, because I've seen the movie so many times.

For some reason I was thinking Lost.

speedpop

teruterubozu said:
I'm talking about the aftermath of the earthquake (several days later) and the trajectory of the tsunami. Scientists had everybody in Hawaii panicking like fucking crazy with tsunami sirens going off, and it ended up being nothing.
Because being safe, rather than sorry, is not a plausible reason? Especially after the 2004 tsunami. Problem is the earthquake that triggered that tsunami was from the ground underneath the Indian ocean, whereas the Chile earthquake was right upon the coast. Perhaps because of that buffering upon the coast and the distance between Chile (i.e. far south-east Southern America) and Hawaii, the threat was not as severe as first thought due to the width of the Pacific Ocean.

I know New Zealand and the east coast of Australia received warnings but barely a splash was recorded.

speedpop said:
Because being safe, rather than sorry, is not a plausible reason? Especially after the 2004 tsunami. Problem is the earthquake that triggered that tsunami was from the ground underneath the Indian ocean, whereas the Chile earthquake was right upon the coast. Perhaps because of that buffering upon the coast and the distance between Chile (i.e. far south-east Southern America) and Hawaii, the threat was not as severe as first thought due to the width of the Pacific Ocean.

I know New Zealand and the east coast of Australia received warnings but barely a splash was recorded.

Nah, cuz it ruined my fucking vacation that day :lol

Belfast

Bring it, Sun!

adventureava.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The actual threat to biology from these events isn't a big concern, by the way. Even in the case of a magnetic pole reversal, there aren't any mass extinctions that coincide with them.

Hitokage said:
The actual threat to biology from these events isn't a big concern, by the way. Even in the case of a magnetic pole reversal, there aren't any mass extinctions that coincide with them.

I think people are more worried about a massive power failure which could lead to civil unrest.

Bentendo said:
I swear every time I see that I start laughing out loud.

What's it from :(

what?

what a philistine.

Dont pole reversals take a looong time? Enough time for life to adapt to changing field?

WEGGLES

Hitokage said:
What about my new computer?

Should I put everything back in their anti static bags?!

speedpop

Hitokage said:
The voice of reason has spoken.

If something does happen to your technologically adapted way of life, go read a book for a few days.

Hitokage said:
And then you'd be killed by looters.

People use the New York '77 blackout as an example of no one getting killed in a prolonged blackout, but after Katrina I think anything goes. Although many babies were made those nights in NY apparently....

Raistlin

Damn ... wasn't there an article posted here around a month ago from Scientists warning how FUBAR our infrastructure is if a large flare were to hit us in the current age? :lol

we

are

fucked

Bentendo

Big One said:
Did anyone actually read the article? I mean wtf, it really isn't bad at all.

Yeah, right. The only thing I had to read was "solar", "tsunami", and "hit Earth". Right now I'm building a fort out of couch cushions, blankets and pillows. I have to venture outside for a short moment to get my candy bucket and grab a few books in the basement to create my town's library though.

Gallbaro said:
Got my car filled with gas enough to travel to the very racist isolated town where there are more guns and ammunition than in all of china. I figure all I would have to do is pretend to be religious and go to church.

Come on over bro!

Raistlin

Teh Hamburglar said:
Dont pole reversals take a looong time? Enough time for life to adapt to changing field?

It's not entirely understood. However there is actually some evidence and theories pointing to it being a quick event ... as in a few minutes. I'd love to see what that would do to our infrastructure, etc. Actually, maybe I wouldn't :\

Raistlin

teruterubozu said:
People use the New York '77 blackout as an example of no one getting killed in a prolonged blackout, but after Katrina I think anything goes. Although many babies were made those nights in NY apparently....

Blizzard of '77 certainly led to plenty of babies in Buffalo :lol

theinfinityissue said:
NASA failes at armageddon, succeeds at coming up with a badass band name, more at 11.

I think it works better as an album title ... but I'm pickin' up whachure puttin' down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom