• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

klonere

Banned
What momentum? He beat Cena clean, won his other two feuds and has the Intercontinental Title.

he's just a dude in the midcard who wins and gets marginally more promo time than other people.

EDIT: That's not to say he's one great feud off being a real star but creative has yet to be able to deliver that platform to any performer in the midcard (or main event for that matter)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
he's just a dude in the midcard who wins and gets marginally more promo time than other people.

Yeah, and what made people think he was getting more momentum than that? I mean, at the very least they're doing a better job with him than they did with Rusev. I dunno, when he had that stupid "he's never lost" thing going it seemed a lot lamer than what they're doing with Owens given that Owens loses, but it also means he gets to fight people other than enhancement talent.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I feel like the totally obvious ending to the tournament is Ambrose vs Reigns. Hopefully Dean goes over. (But I mean, really, I'm not that dumb.)

klonere

Banned
Yeah, and what made people think he was getting more momentum than that? I mean, at the very least they're doing a better job with him than they did with Rusev. I dunno, when he had that stupid "he's never lost" thing going it seemed a lot lamer than what they're doing with Owens given that Owens loses, but it also means he gets to fight people other than enhancement talent.

I honestly think big Kev is fine where he is right now. I hope they let him tread water until Zayn gets back and then go all out on that feud. I still think it was fucking stupid to have him come in and beat Cena 100% clean in his first match. Make beating Cena really mean something, come the fuck on.

EDIT: I'm still mad at the Cena/Owens series kick out bullshit. Those matches will not age well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like the totally obvious ending to the tournament is Ambrose vs Reigns. Hopefully Dean goes over. (But I mean, really, I'm not that dumb.)

The obvious end of the tournament is Reigns gets assigned byes all the way to the finals and then gets a bye in the finals and wins the title without doing any wrestling.

Anth0ny

Would Vince really let an obese Canadian midget be Intercontinental & World Heavyweight Champ at the same time?

basically

maybe if it was 1999

and he was as over as mick foley

but it's clear that 2015 vince don't give a fuck about how over you are, he has his guy and that's that

Kaladin

One great thing coming from these injuries is WWE fucking themselves over after years of Even-Steven booking.

I always thought that was why WWE hated tournaments. Tournaments always create a clear cut hierarchy of where your superstars stand, and it is very hard to avoid it.

Just finished watching the WK10 presser. While I couldn't understand KUSHIDA, Kenny Omega seemed kind of bitter that KUSHIDA is the guy (although he could be working), and said that this is KUSHIDA's last shot. Styles was surprisingly respectful of Nak and agreed that this is a dream match...a lot more respect being shown by these two than Okada and Tanahashi, surprisingly enough.

Kaladin

So when should the spoilers for tonight's show start coming in?

Do they do the UK Raws with an 8pm local start time? If so that would be 3pm EST and it would be done by 6pm.

Speaking of,taped wrestling from the UK

CTYo_EjUkAAH_3B.jpg

Rodeo Clown

The obvious end of the tournament is Reigns gets assigned byes all the way to the finals and then gets a bye in the finals and wins the title without doing any wrestling.

That's why he'll only end up facing the likes of Dolph Ziggler on his inevitable march to the strap.

I just really think this is the time to put it on Ambrose. He's the most over face in the company right now with all these injuries and Cena out.

DMczaf

I always thought that was why WWE hated tournaments. Tournaments always create a clear cut hierarchy of where your superstars stand, and it is very hard to avoid it.

If there was one company who can find a way to end a tournament with no clear winner, it is WWE.

I believe they can find a way.

Kaladin

If there was one company who can find a way to end a tournament with no clear winner, it is WWE.

I believe they can find a way.

Just have NXT guys crash the main event, ending it in a no contest, resulting in an NXT vs WWE war that is settled at TLC.

Angry Grimace

That's why he'll only end up facing the likes of Dolph Ziggler on his inevitable march to the strap.

I just really think this is the time to put it on Ambrose. He's the most over face in the company right now with all these injuries and Cena out.

Ambrose pretty much needs to go heel if there was gonna be any chance at that.. I'm sure everyone prefers Roman go heel, but I already know Ambrose can work heel to begin with and it doesn't really make any sense for Roman to go heel.

I've just had an odd moment where I've sat here wondering if Roddy Piper was alive or dead, but didn't want to check on the internet to find out. I'm still not entirely sure, but I think he's still alive. Maybe I should check. No idea why it confused me so much.

Gonzalez

Banned
I hate that. I wish the WWE would have New Japan's balls when doing Tournament upsets.

I've just had an odd moment where I've sat here wondering if Roddy Piper was alive or dead, but didn't want to check on the internet to find out. I'm still not entirely sure, but I think he's still alive. Maybe I should check. No idea why it confused me so much.

If got some bad news for ya :(

Anth0ny

ambrose and reigns final round

they shake hands before the match

have a grueling match

reigns hits superman punch but ambrose reverses into GAF's favorite move: the rebound off the middle rope clothesline

both men are out

IT'S A SHAMEFUL THING

sheamus bro kicks ambrose for the 1 2 3

sheamus is your new champion

next night on raw ambrose and reigns team against sheamus and barrett, reigns pins sheamus clean

the road to royal rumble begins

Sephzilla

If a heel wins the tournament you can sure as shit bet he'll lose to all of the people he beat in the tournament before getting a cheap win at the next PPV

#RollinsBooking

ambrose and reigns final round

they shake hands before the match

have a grueling match

reigns hits superman punch but ambrose reverses into GAF's favorite move: the rebound off the middle rope clothesline

both men are out

IT'S A SHAMEFUL THING

sheamus bro kicks ambrose for the 1 2 3

sheamus is your new champion

next night on raw ambrose and reigns team against sheamus and barrett, reigns pins sheamus clean

the road to royal rumble begins

Honestly, this is the most likely outcome

Rodeo Clown

Ambrose pretty much needs to go heel if there was gonna be any chance at that.. I'm sure everyone prefers Roman go heel, but I already know Ambrose can work heel to begin with and it doesn't really make any sense for Roman to go heel.

My thing about having Dean turn on Reigns is that I don't really think it accomplishes much. People will still cheer Dean and still have the split reaction to Roman.

klonere

Banned
I think the danger of a heel Ambrose is that Ambrose is going to get cheered over Roman in certain places no matter what.

Although since they are literally making Roman Cena 2.0 minus the ability to talk, that would be okay by their estimation.

KingBroly

Banned
This whole situation shows why their 'if you're not someone we like, you're fucked' policy is killing them.

This Tournament is probably going to be centered around one guy winning it, then Sheamus cashing-in and failing in like 10 seconds to make him look super strong to the point where people go 'fuck you, this is annoying' and never comes back.

Noted racist Hulk Hogan again claiming responsibility for things

“Well, I hate to brag about it, but I’m the first one to point the finger at Kevin Owens. I saw him on NXT, like his second match, and saw him just chop and beat and grind and beating his guy down and doing it the old school way and really understanding how to get heat, doing it the old school way and I said, ‘that’s the guy’. I said, ‘that’s the guy. I don’t care if he looks like a wrestler [or] looks like an ice cream salesman. I don’t care. That’s the guy.'”

klonere

Banned

“Well, I hate to brag about it, but I’m the first one to point the finger at Kevin Owens. I saw him on NXT, like his second match, and saw him just chop and beat and grind and beating his guy down and doing it the old school way and really understanding how to get heat, doing it the old school way and I said, ‘that’s the guy’. I said, ‘that’s the guy. I don’t care if he looks like a wrestler [or] looks like an ice cream salesman. I don’t care. That’s the guy.'”

HKJsPx2.gif

Kaladin

giphy.gif

Entropia

No One Remembers
Have they announced all participants of the tourney? How many people?

A couple predictions, first two are pretty safe and pretty much a consensus:

1) Either Ambrose vs. Reigns in the final, with one of them turning heel (Ambrose most likely)

2) Ambrose vs. Reigns in the semi-final match

3) There will be at least one double DQ/count-out match, resulting in a bye for... of course, Reigns.

4) Ziggler and Owens will go deep into the tournament.

5) Cesaro will not make it out of the first round (i.e. he'll go against Reigns in the first round)

DMczaf

"We are a global brand with fans all over the world!"

"Fuck that dude, he's Swiss."

Does any other company get away with this?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Nope, last I heard it wasn't even 100% that they're doing a tournament.

I would say this is 100% proof: http://www.wwe.com/shows/survivorseries/2015/wwe-world-heavyweight-championship-tournament-28164052

I'm trying to create a bracket. I figure 16 is 'ideal', 32 would be exciting in a weird way.

One thing I absolutely despise about how tournaments are booked is that they're always done with reliance on feuds. Like Owens will probably face Ryback. :|

A randomly generated bracket: hhttp://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=tzF68hbNRe

It's weird how well this would look.

Just finished watching the WK10 presser. While I couldn't understand KUSHIDA, Kenny Omega seemed kind of bitter that KUSHIDA is the guy (although he could be working), and said that this is KUSHIDA's last shot.

Yeah, he's working - a lot of what he said was based on comments KUSHIDA had made on Tanahashi's podcast, talking about being disappointed with how his title runs turned out as well as questioning whether he has what it takes to lead the division. KUSHIDA really has to win this one and hold that belt for a long while, I don't think anything short of that is going to elevate him in the way he needs.

The podcasts Tana, Taguchi & KUSHIDA do are an odd mix of work and shoot, but they definitely seem to be involving them more in the storyline process. Similarly, last year Tanahashi's autobiography had a worked shoot feel to it, specifically the comments about Shibata and Naito that seemed to have foretold both of their directions. Shibata buried the hatchet and joined the NJPW Sekigun, Naito rebelled and proved Tanahashi correct in his assessment of Naito's character. I like that they're using other avenues for storytelling like this, they really need to get on the ball with English translation, however.

Kaladin

nobody would

Sunny....I was hoping I would catch you.

I wanted to formally apologize for getting you banned that one time. I should have brought it up with you in PM instead of a mod. I'm going to do better by that in the future though. A 3 month hibernation is what I needed I think.

We good?

Hand shake?

Dion314

Neo Member
I would say this is 100% proof: http://www.wwe.com/shows/survivorseries/2015/wwe-world-heavyweight-championship-tournament-28164052

I'm trying to create a bracket. I figure 16 is 'ideal', 32 would be exciting in a weird way.

One thing I absolutely despise about how tournaments are booked is that they're always done with reliance on feuds. Like Owens will probably face Ryback. :|

Yeah fuck that. In a perfect world the brackets would have some face/face and heel/heel match ups and people facing folks they aren't already in a program with. Since we know Reigns will probably win, at least make it interesting along the way

Gonzalez

Banned
Yeah, he's working - a lot of what he said was based on comments KUSHIDA had made on Tanahashi's podcast, talking about being disappointed with how his title runs turned out as well as questioning whether he has what it takes to lead the division. KUSHIDA really has to win this one and hold that belt for a long while, I don't think anything short of that is going to elevate him in the way he needs.

The podcasts Tana, Taguchi & KUSHIDA do are an odd mix of work and shoot, but they definitely seem to be involving them more in the storyline process. Similarly, last year Tanahashi's autobiography had a worked shoot feel to it, specifically the comments about Shibata and Naito that seemed to have foretold both of their directions. Shibata buried the hatchet and joined the NJPW Sekigun, Naito rebelled and proved Tanahashi correct in his assessment of Naito's character. I like that they're using other avenues for storytelling like this, they really need to get on the ball with English translation, however.
Are there complete translations of these podcasts around?

Kaladin

I still wish they would make a weekly English language New Japan TV or even internet show that caught you up on everything. It wouldn't even need current matches, but that would be a plus.

Top Bottom