• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Lothar

Banned
Raw has been shit for years. Why are people only now noticing and finding something better to do with their time?

I wonder if it's because of the Network. Now teenagers can see the entire WWF Attitude era with the click of a button and they can see that Raws today are not 1/100th as exciting.

MC Safety

Owens is never going to be champ, because...
1. It is the most logical choice
2. It is the right choice.

Job Owens Job.

Well, he's already been NXT champion and the Intercontinental champion.

He'll probably be world champion someday. But there's no need to rush another belt onto him.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
kane in 2015 strikes again

Big Show may have suffered an injury at tonight's WWE live event in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

During a Street Fight against Demon Kane, Big Show was chokeslammed trough a table and landed "quite bad" according to reader Chris Kinkead. The referee quickly called for medics to come down and check on Big Show. Another referee also came down and ended up counting Kane's three count on Big Show.

No word yet on the severity of the injury but we will keep you updated.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/1110/603672/big-show-injured-at-tonight-wwe-live-event/

Toki767

Raw has been shit for years. Why are people only now noticing and finding something better to do with their time?

I wonder if it's because of the Network. Now teenagers can see the entire WWF Attitude era with the click of a button and they can see that Raws today are not 1/100th as exciting.

There were always standouts like Punk and Bryan even at Raw's worst.

Now they're not around, Cena's on vacation, Rollins is injured, and all we have is Roman Reigns, the ratings killer.

Kaladin

There were always standouts like Punk and Bryan even at Raw's worst.

Now they're not around, Cena's on vacation, Rollins is injured, and all we have is Roman Reigns, the ratings killer.

tumblr_npjl7i0tUZ1u5sexso2_500.gif

I think Orton is hurt.

I'd really like the WWE to have a "miracle" champion run. You know, a complete dark horse who gets a chance to shine until dropping the title at Wrestlemania.

Pie in the sky: Big E, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Heath Slater, or Mark Henry.

But having Orton win Rumble and then winning at Mania would be the ultimate burn. My Dark horse person would be Titus.. Have him work with Booker and Billy to add more moves. Add he looks good in a suit.

AAA getting in on the tournament action

Dorian Roldan of AAA was on Busted Open Radio yesterday and announced that the AAA Mega Title, which had been held by Alberto Del Rio, is now vacant and they will be doing a tournament to crown a new champion

It's amazing going back to 97-99 on the Network. Raw just seems like sheer chaos for most of the time. Wrestlers went out into the crowd during like every match. They still had the old metal guard rails.

Chaos. Those were the days.

KingBroly

Banned
Well, he's already been NXT champion and the Intercontinental champion.

He'll probably be world champion someday. But there's no need to rush another belt onto him.

Who does Reigns fight if he wins? Well...he's gotta drop it to Sheamus immediately to fight him and get it back then.

Owens is probably gonna face Ambrose.

Del Rio will probably face Kalisto.

New Day will face the Usos...zzz...zzz...

Ziggler faces Breeze

Then you have Sasha and Charlotte.

And the Wyatts can face Kane or something. I dunno.

Mahonay

Banned
Sooo, Fallout 4 is pretty damn good. Performance is fine on PS4. Feels like your typical Bethesda games on consoles in the past.

Matticers

Do we really need another Corporate Champ?

Roman would be amazing as corporate champ. The smarks already don't want to see him with the title, he won't have to talk a whole lot with the authority behind him, he'll generate even more heat depending on who he turns on. The hate would be immense. It almost makes too much sense.

I'm thinking about getting the network for Survivor Series but I wanted to know are they going to have an actual series of matches for the title during the PPV? Or some kind of elimination match? Or are they only having the finals while the other matches are all done before then? I hope they at least have a final four.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Owens is never going to be champ, because...
1. It is the most logical choice
2. It is the right choice.

Job Owens Job.

How is it the most logical choice? He's the current IC champ. He'd probably have to drop that and then they'd have to have another tournament or match for it. That's not logical at all.

But having Orton win Rumble and then winning at Mania would be the ultimate burn. My Dark horse person would be Titus.. Have him work with Booker and Billy to add more moves. Add he looks good in a suit.
I like Titus, he's big, has the microphone skills, not bad in the ring but I doubt Vince will even give him a look.

He looks like a superstar in the early 2000s. Total opposite of what you have today.

Toki767

Roman would be amazing as corporate champ. The smarks already don't want to see him with the title, he won't have to talk a whole lot with the authority behind him, he'll generate even more heat depending on who he turns on. The hate would be immense. It almost makes too much sense.

I'm thinking about getting the network for Survivor Series but I wanted to know are they going to have an actual series of matches for the title during the PPV? Or some kind of elimination match? Or are they only having the finals while the other matches are all done before then? I hope they at least have a final four.

Next week is the go home show, so the semi finals and finals will probably be on the PPV.

That is exactly what I'm saying. Miz was the same way you had a few people who liked him but majority absolutely hated him. At least he had microphone skills and eventually got better in the ring.

Everyone who's been a heel champion lately you actually love him.

The thing is, Roman is 100% over with the kids. At the Glasgow show last week, that place exploded for him and chanted for him all the way through his match with Bray. That must be how it is at most house shows. It explains why they stick with him beyond 'vince is a bonehead' stuff, when on the TV material we still see mixed reactions (although less and less).

I agree he would make a good corporate heel champ, and it sets up Seth's babyface return - 'Triple H, I used to think you had all the answers. I turned my back on my friends for you. And I became The Man - but the second I hit a roadblock, the second something messed with your game plan, you turned around and fed the same line of crap to the next sucker who would fall for it. Well I'm back, and I'm back to take you down'. You could then fold that into a feud with Reigns for the title, although Brock winning the rumble and winning at Wrestlemania is I think too good an opportunity to pass up - but I'm not the target audience.

Reigns going heel is a good story idea, but it also potentially gives up something they've been working on for two years now, which is to say that it is risky but might pay off, and WWE has no reason to take any risks in their current position. Live TV Ratings are down, yeah, but that's a much smaller piece of the pie than it used to be, and WWE's approach to their show now is of corporate, replicable and multi-format entertainment and associated products. Everything is intentionally simplistic and universalised across all their platforms. People talk exclusively in corporate slogans. It isn't about being exciting, it's about persisting. Gimmicks don't change that much, turns are seldom, the title stays on the same guy for a long time because if you fuck with the core image of the brand then everything else needs to be reconfigured and that is expensive and potentially will lose them money.

Reigns is a concise figure to brand a show around as he is. He has no personality, looks good, and fights with people because Believe That. Something I've definitely noticed in my time watching WWE again these past 18 months is the storylines are extremely simple compared to the Attitude Era stuff. Back then you had multi-layered feuds going on between individuals and factions not just for championships but for soap-opera personal vendettas involving car accidents, kidnappings, marriages, infidelity, Bossman being the most heinous man on Earth and so on. Not that any of that was laudable storytelling exactly, but it was always throwing more shit at a feud and changing things around. Now it is almost entirely 'I don't like the slant on your smirk, pal, and I want to be the champ.'. It needs to be simple. These performers are more than ever action figurines, or 3D character models, or even just models. You need to be able to tune in and immediately understand what is going on, and the best way to do that is to not have much going on at all.

I can't really imagine what the kids think of the show right now, but they at least appear to love it. They are the ones driving most of the money whether it is merch sales or house shows and all the additional branded material WWE puts out beyond 4 Raws a month and a special event. If Roman is over with the kids, like with Cena, that's all that really matters. No reason to rock the boat for adults who wouldn't wear WWE clothing in public and pirate half their shit anyway. For those people, they can watch the old stuff on the network and continue to generate thousands of posts about what is wrong with the show today, keeping that social media presence nice and high.

Toki767

Can you really trust house shows though? I thought that was starting to be less of an impact on WWE's revenue.

Besides, because of house shows, we got Hogan vs Sid at WrestleMania instead of Hogan vs Flair.

Can you really trust house shows though? I thought that was starting to be less of an impact on WWE's revenue.

Besides, because of house shows, we got Hogan vs Sid at WrestleMania instead of Hogan vs Flair.
Lol! House Shows are catered to kids anyway. Cheaper to attend so you can take Max, Jimmy, and all of their Roman Reigns friends.

This bitch just said The Rock weighs 287lbs

Zach

I think Orton is hurt.

I'd really like the WWE to have a "miracle" champion run. You know, a complete dark horse who gets a chance to shine until dropping the title at Wrestlemania.

Pie in the sky: Big E, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Heath Slater, or Mark Henry.

I'm all for this. Never gonna happen, but I love it.

I'd like for next year to be the year of 2-3 month title reign just so we can see who the crowd prefers.

I think New Day should win the title and everyone in the group is the champ. So they all get to defend it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing is, Roman is 100% over with the kids. At the Glasgow show last week, that place exploded for him and chanted for him all the way through his match with Bray. That must be how it is at most house shows. It explains why they stick with him beyond 'vince is a bonehead' stuff, when on the TV material we still see mixed reactions (although less and less).

I agree he would make a good corporate heel champ, and it sets up Seth's babyface return - 'Triple H, I used to think you had all the answers. I turned my back on my friends for you. And I became The Man - but the second I hit a roadblock, the second something messed with your game plan, you turned around and fed the same line of crap to the next sucker who would fall for it. Well I'm back, and I'm back to take you down'. You could then fold that into a feud with Reigns for the title, although Brock winning the rumble and winning at Wrestlemania is I think too good an opportunity to pass up - but I'm not the target audience.

Reigns going heel is a good story idea, but it also potentially gives up something they've been working on for two years now, which is to say that it is risky but might pay off, and WWE has no reason to take any risks in their current position. Live TV Ratings are down, yeah, but that's a much smaller piece of the pie than it used to be, and WWE's approach to their show now is of corporate, replicable and multi-format entertainment and associated products. Everything is intentionally simplistic and universalised across all their platforms. People talk exclusively in corporate slogans. It isn't about being exciting, it's about persisting. Gimmicks don't change that much, turns are seldom, the title stays on the same guy for a long time because if you fuck with the core image of the brand then everything else needs to be reconfigured and that is expensive and potentially will lose them money.

Reigns is a concise figure to brand a show around as he is. He has no personality, looks good, and fights with people because Believe That. Something I've definitely noticed in my time watching WWE again these past 18 months is the storylines are extremely simple compared to the Attitude Era stuff. Back then you had multi-layered feuds going on between individuals and factions not just for championships but for soap-opera personal vendettas involving car accidents, kidnappings, marriages, infidelity, Bossman being the most heinous man on Earth and so on. Not that any of that was laudable storytelling exactly, but it was always throwing more shit at a feud and changing things around. Now it is almost entirely 'I don't like the slant on your smirk, pal, and I want to be the champ.'. It needs to be simple. These performers are more than ever action figurines, or 3D character models, or even just models. You need to be able to tune in and immediately understand what is going on, and the best way to do that is to not have much going on at all.

I can't really imagine what the kids think of the show right now, but they at least appear to love it. They are the ones driving most of the money whether it is merch sales or house shows and all the additional branded material WWE puts out beyond 4 Raws a month and a special event. If Roman is over with the kids, like with Cena, that's all that really matters. No reason to rock the boat for adults who wouldn't wear WWE clothing in public and pirate half their shit anyway. For those people, they can watch the old stuff on the network and continue to generate thousands of posts about what is wrong with the show today, keeping that social media presence nice and high.

They can say what they want but I can tell that they regardless of how much Vince strokes it at night thinking about Reigns' muscles and smoldering broodiness, they absolutely do not want to close Wrestlemania with 100,000 people booing.

Fox318

They can say what they want but I can tell that they regardless of how much Vince strokes it at night thinking about Reigns' muscles and smoldering broodiness, they absolutely do not want to close Wrestlemania with 100,000 people booing.
You can edit the reaction in post.

Just like the 1992 rumble.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can edit the reaction in post.

Just like the 1992 rumble.

I'm guessing that's the one where Hogan did his typical heel bullshit and pulled Sid out of the ring for no reason other than being salty, but was still randomly billed as a face after the fact.

But no, you can't edit out 100,000 people booing in real time.

Oersted

Smackdown spoilers

- Wyatt promo. Following is barely a spoiler
Demands a tagteam match against two old guys. He can pick two Wyatt members

-Braun Strowman
kills Fandango

- Barrett is
beaten by Neville in the tournament. Was close.

* The Usos
cut a promo on the Wyatts because of the match they will later have with them

- Barrett
cuts a promo on Rooney. Gets killed by Taker for no good reason

-Ryback
is beaten by Kalisto. Clean. Raises his arm afterwards

-Mr Mex-America
beats Stardust.

-Roman Reigns
reassures us he is no sellout.

- Usos
win by DQ. Wyatts beat them down. Taker accepts Brays challenge

Zach

Oh yeah. I watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night/this morning. It was good. I mention it because someone -- probably strobogo -- was ripping it during the GWF stream.

Anyway, I kinda want to play the game now.

Top Bottom