• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Striker

HHH is a viable champion up until 2010 or so, especially with two belts. He should have jumped brands more often and lost more often, especially since the rare few times he actually put someone over they did become big stars.
His jump to Smackdown in 2008 was brutal. He never lost.

Got to hand it to WWE/F; When the draft is over and RAW is its own thing on April 1st 2002, they make some big changes. The RAW IS WAR stage is dropped in lieu of the big titantron stage, the lighting is brighter, Flair introduces the undisputed belt, and "Thorn in your Eye" is replaced by "Across the Nation"

Booker T's scissors kick rivals the 619 for a move that makes you go "why doesn't the other guy just move?"

Pretty funny how he's booked as a heel during 2002 though. He has a good baby face move set and pops the crowd all the time.

Interesting thing I'm noticing during these early '00s shows; Every show, whether RAW or Smackdown, has at least one of the titles on the line on every show.

This RAW was going pretty good, until Ric Flair interrupted a confrontation between Terri and Trish to announce they'll be wrestling in their bikinis in a paddle on a pole match.

Interesting thing I'm noticing during these early '00s shows; Every show, whether RAW or Smackdown, has at least one of the titles on the line on every show.
Like I said some pages back but was ignored, the titles need to be defended more so there's a possibility for a title change.

Hey you'll defend your title in 4 weeks.

No surprise nothing. And you have 8 shows in between. Wtf. These champions are fucking trash nowadays. Don't even defend their titles regularly.

Undertaker to crowd: "Why don't you say 'what' if you like to sleep with your own sister"

Forgot about that.

Like I said some pages back but was ignored, the titles need to be defended more so there's a possibility for a title change.

No surprise nothing. And you have 8 shows in between. Wtf. These champions are fucking trash nowadays. Don't even defend their titles regularly.

I think the reason they could book more title matches on tv back then was because of the booking. Obviously there's the fact that there's more exposure now then before, but back then an IC match on RAW has more of that "will the title change hands" factor when it's between RVD and Booker instead of say, Kevin Owens and Wade Barrett. You know Barrett isn't going to win that, because you've seen the booking.

Also, title matches will always need build. Title holders need less matches.

Anth0ny

why defend the title when the champ could have non title matches every show and lose clean in all of them?

Undertaker to crowd: "Why don't you say 'what' if you like to sleep with your own sister"

Forgot about that.

I think the reason they could book more title matches on tv back then was because of the booking. Obviously there's the fact that there's more exposure now then before, but back then an IC match on RAW has more of that "will the title change hands" factor when it's between RVD and Booker instead of say, Kevin Owens and Wade Barrett. You know Barrett isn't going to win that, because you've seen the booking.

Also, title matches will always need build.
I still remember that, weren't they in Bama?

They need to get the old bookers back. The new ones are trash. Make these titles meaningful again.

why defend the title when the champ could have non title matches every show and lose clean in all of them?
I lost it lol

CTfn9fBUcAAYCbE.jpg
where to even begin...

"You SUCK! You know what, you guys SUCK!"

got em

Fun thing about WWE shows during this time period; You know how nowadays RAW is filled with meaningless matches that don't lead to anything and have no storyline implications?

Well, sometimes a match like that will show up on RAW and Smackdown and you'll think "oh that's lame", and then Brock Lesnar comes out and annihilates everyone.

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about to feel about a fully dressed Molly Holly coming out after this paddle on a pole match between a bikini clad Trish and Terri, and cracking the paddle in half over Trish's head to solidify her character change from Mighty Molly.

Interested I guess.

Fun thing about WWE shows during this time period; You know how nowadays RAW is filled with meaningless matches that don't lead to anything and have no storyline implications?

Well, sometimes a match like that will show up on RAW and Smackdown and you'll think "oh that's lame", and then Brock Lesnar comes out and annihilates everyone.
Something they need to do. So that would be 80% of Raw.

If you're a big fan of Mark Callaway, read these stories

http://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/vol12/

Booking that makes sense: Kane teamed with Hogan and Rock in a losing effort against the NWO on Smackdown. Kane has a match with NWO member X-Pac on RAW tonight. Early in this RAW, the NWO finds the APA "office" (now abandoned because the APA was split by the draft) and proceed to crash there to play poker and drink beer. APA member Bradshaw learns of this and takes umbrage with it, assaulting the NWO in a losing effort.

Later, during the Kane/X-Pac match the NWO beats down Kane and Bradshaw comes out to help.

OH MY GOD FUCK STONE COLD AND THE FACT THAT HE PURPOSELY PACES HIS PROMOS TO MAKE THE CROWD CHANT WHAT.

You know, even though Austin has descended into a parody of himself by this point in his career, there's something beautiful about this ending segment of an April 1st RAW ending segment, where Vince and Flair are trying to secure Steve for their own brands. Steve decides he's going to sign with Smackdown (Vince's brand) and obviously I'm thinking "What's the twist? What reason will Austin give for giving Vince a stunner?" I know it's coming, I'm racking my brain, and then Steve simply looks at Vince and says:

"April Fools" BAM STUNNER

Pro wrestling, sometimes you're pretty great.

Something they need to do. So that would be 80% of Raw.

If you're a big fan of Mark Callaway, read these stories

http://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/vol12/

Going by these stories, American Bad Ass Taker was literally just Mark Calaway. And also pretty cool too.

Jim Cornette is hilarious

And so, you know, as his brow increases from steroid or HGH use, so does his ego from fucking being irreplaceable because he’s got the keys to the kingdom. Because he’s fucking married to the boss’s daughter- who took the job as head of creative straight out of college. I think Stephanie is a bright girl and I never had a cross word with her, but she needs to be the head of creative like I need to be the head of fucking NASA! Because I know as much about the fucking Hubble Space Telescope as she knows about fucking booking wrestling. It’s fucking ridiculous! Nepotism and fucking corporations have led us to where we are in the wrestling business, which is why Dana White and the UFC are kicking all of our asses! Because they’re doing pro wrestling from thirty years ago and they’re doing it better than we are.”

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This RAW was going pretty good, until Ric Flair interrupted a confrontation between Terri and Trish to announce they'll be wrestling in their bikinis in a paddle on a pole match.

This is why it drives me nuts when people in the thread sing the praises of the Attitude Era as if it were perfect.

klonere

Banned
It's funny to think how much more engaged the crowds will be in the UK for the upcoming NXT than that last Raw and Smackdown.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm happy they both got injured at around the same time. I imagine a bunch of assholes backstage were ready to ruin their real life relationship.

Vince was the one ready to do it. He still might do it. But Rusev getting injured would''ve iced the angle anyway. I dunno what they'll do with him now.

Seeing the ending of
Kalisto and Ryback
makes me wonder why they did it like that.

kiguel182

So, the Wade Barret vs Rooney segment was just featured on the news here in Portugal.

Apparently you just need to have a football star featured and you make the news in Europe. WWE did it.

klonere

Banned
Does "I Bring the Fight" make it an even 10 for failed catchphrases for Roman Reigns?

I'm trying to think of them off the top of my head

"Believe that" (the only one he actually uses on a regular basis)
"I can. I will."

And now the ones I can find merch for on WWE Shop

"Hit Hard. Hit Often"
"1 vs All"
"I bring the fight".
"Let it Reigns" (!!!!!!!!!!!)

Holy shit that is a lot of merch (64 pieces in all) and a lot of catchphrases/branding attempts that he never incorporated into his character or used in promos. It's like he's producing Rock level catchphrases on a monthly basis except its been done on his behalf by some fuckhead with an MBA.

Top Bottom