• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Menome

I could handle the casual racism and dissing of Batman movies, but if this is going to turn into a The Last Of Us thread, I'm off to read some Transformers comics.

jmdajr

but that doesn't make for an enjoyable ending,
you spend the whole game getting into a character that does a weird 180 to end the game, you basically go from good old jaded dude to a fucking selfish psychopath within 5 min and a big THE END gets thrown in your face... The obvious ending would've been the better one, there's no need for a Shyamalan-esque twist in every story

It's not about you! The ending is what it is.

miserable

You can probably get most of the big shows from IVPvideos or RudoReels, I'd guess.

i've been meaning to ask you, what source does IVPvideos use for their releases of old Japan shows? do they record form VHS and clean the video up then transcode? or were these shows released on DVD in Japan and they use that as source?

Sephzilla

It's natural character progression. Internal drama with the greater good vs getting a second chance at what you lost years ago is a classic story. He didn't mind putting her in danger because he was so focused on the mission and Ellie just grew on him. He finally realized that she was worth saving and keeping safe. It was actually kind of refreshing that they didn't go with the chosen girl is the cure path for the story, they pulled at the heart strings and went with the more personal option.

Which is why I wish they would have had him give her up and just not be able to live with it afterwards. Having him pull a 180 at the end and say "fuck saving the world" just didn't feel natural or right. I would have gotten a lot more feels out of watching Joel suffer with the choice after the fact. Honestly TLOU's ending feels kind of like shitty sequel bait and feels like Naughty Dog pussied out of having a really tragic ending

Kaladin

I still don't like the way they answered the issue : "well the limit only affects 1% of you so fuck off"

Most kids these days don't have music libraries over 10,000 songs so it won't affect most people.

Those of us that it does affect though.....I'm glad they gave us a workaround, I had a few near 10k playlists of different genres on my account.

Anth0ny

I'm actually on the opposite side of the fence. I thought the gameplay was fun but the story was cliche and predictable as fuck outside of the ending (which sucked)

Same. I think the last video game story I really gave a shit about was MGS3.

Last of Us felt like a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 when it came to gameplay, atmosphere and tone. I loved exploring every nook and cranny of that world just to see what weird, creepy shit I'd discover. Just like RE4.

imBask

Banned
It's not about you! The ending is what it is.

but does that mean I had to love it and I can't criticize it? I mean it IS a video game and not a movie, you play from a certain perspective and that builds up expectations. If it was a movie instead of a game, I would have the same problem with the ending

bjork

It is such a big and diverse game and because no one ever plays it the same, their experience going into it, and really any game this size, is all over the map.

The best advice I can give anyone, and this is from spending 30 hours with the game, is to not neglect the main storyline early on. Doing so makes it easy to lose on certain perks, equipment, weapons and a discovery of areas that shine. The turn around point for me is Diamond City and meeting with Nick valentine. At this point, you'll have access to some of the best weapons in the game, meet some of the neatest characters and see some of the best places the game has to offer. From there, you dig deeper. Eevrything before then is like a compass pointing in every direction.

And Jet packs. There are flipping Jet packs.

I've spent right around 20 without completing one story quest so far, and I've been finding stuff that is pretty strong without ever going to Diamond City yet. It's been interesting this way. Then when I get to the actual story, I can just blow through it overleveled, which is cool by me.

Kaladin

Which is why I wish they would have had him give her up and just not be able to live with it afterwards. Having him pull a 180 at the end and say "fuck saving the world" just didn't feel natural or right. I would have gotten a lot more feels out of watching Joel suffer with the choice after the fact. Honestly TLOU's ending feels kind of like shitty sequel bait and feels like Naughty Dog pussied out of having a really tragic ending

Your ending does still pull at the heart strings, but Joel saving Ellie at the last minute does more naturally lead to more stories in the world as you can have them living off the land and trying to outrun the people that want to use Ellie as a cure and use that as building blocks to an even greater plot. With just Joel your best option is having him turn into the lone wolf merc bad ass that eventually wanders into a plot. Face it, Joel saving Ellie was best for business.

jmdajr

but does that mean I had to love it and I can't criticize it? I mean it IS a video game and not a movie, you play from a certain perspective and that builds up expectations. If it was a movie instead of a game, I would have the same problem with the ending

No reason to hate the creators for it. It's their vision.

No you don't have to like it.

Sephzilla

Your ending does still pull at the heart strings, but Joel saving Ellie at the last minute does more naturally lead to more stories in the world as you can have them living off the land and trying to outrun the people that want to use Ellie as a cure and use that as building blocks to an even greater plot. With just Joel your best option is having him turn into the lone wolf merc bad ass that eventually wanders into a plot. Face it, Joel saving Ellie was best for business.

Or have Joel die and have no Last of Us sequels. Or just make a sequel with a different cast

I'm just going to spoiler everything.

It felt like forced drama and out of character for Joel, in my opinion. Yes, he cared for her but he'd already put her in positions of danger previously where she could have easily died yet now, knowing she faces death, he suddenly gets cold feet. Plus for a good chunk of the game he seemed to be operating both from the perspective of caring for her while also respecting the "greater good" she could provide. Suddenly being okay with dooming lots of other people with the possibility of facing the tragedy he faced at the start of the game felt out of his character.

I applaud your use of spoiler tags, and will follow your example.

That's fair enough, but I think you misunderstood what went into his decision and why it wasn't out of character at all.

They set up throughout the game that Joel has become a pretty callous and selfish person who is only out to survive, and he only cares about a very select group of people (seemingly just Tess although there would probably be more), while everybody else can get blown to hell. There are some sparks of decency in him, and you can be fooled by his gentle demeanour, but that's stuff that has been burned out of him after however many years living in the world he does. So, initially, taking Ellie to the fireflies is just a job for him that he doesn't believe in, and then when Tess dies, he does it out of some kind of loyalty for her and also, I'd imagine, because he doesn't know what else to do with himself except how he's survived so far. Over the course of the journey he ends up caring more about Ellie and thinking of her as a replacement daughter for himself - which is the whole reason the game opens with his real daughter dying - and as the audience, you can be fooled into thinking this means he's becoming a better man. When he realises that this plan of the Fireflies, which he's been happy to go along with until now, is actually going to kill Ellie in the process and take away the only thing he has any attachment to left, he decides to take her out of it - blowing everyone else to hell like he usually does - and because he knows Ellie would hate him if she knew, he lies to her about what happened.

It really isn't out of character at all. It's not a plot twist, but a character twist - you've been lulled into thinking Joel's a different kind of person than he is, because you've seen him soften over the course of the game, but he wasn't becoming a better person, he was just making a new bond. He doesn't care about the greater good at all because he doesn't think it exists. He was a member of thieving murder gangs and thinks that's how the world is. This stuff is all in his dialogue, and in how other characters like his brother and Tess describe him.

Joel's just an emotional man with strong paternal instincts. He was probably that way before the outbreak, but wouldn't have been to put to the test like he is with Ellie at the end. It's probably what he would always have done.

As for putting Ellie in danger, I don't remember any specific incident like that but I figure he does earlier on in the game. That's because she's still just some kid to him at that point and it's only in the last 25% of the game his attitude really changes.

jmdajr

I applaud your use of spoiler tags, and will follow your example.

That's fair enough, but I think you misunderstood what went into his decision and why it wasn't out of character at all.

They set up throughout the game that Joel has become a pretty callous and selfish person who is only out to survive, and he only cares about a very select group of people (seemingly just Tess although there would probably be more), while everybody else can get blown to hell. There are some sparks of decency in him, and you can be fooled by his gentle demeanour, but that's stuff that has been burned out of him after however many years living in the world he does. So, initially, taking Ellie to the fireflies is just a job for him that he doesn't believe in, and then when Tess dies, he does it out of some kind of loyalty for her and also, I'd imagine, because he doesn't know what else to do with himself except how he's survived so far. Over the course of the journey he ends up caring more about Ellie and thinking of her as a replacement daughter for himself - which is the whole reason the game opens with his real daughter dying - and as the audience, you can be fooled into thinking this means he's becoming a better man. When he realises that this plan of the Fireflies, which he's been happy to go along with until now, is actually going to kill Ellie in the process and take away the only thing he has any attachment to left, he decides to take her out of it - blowing everyone else to hell like he usually does - and because he knows Ellie would hate him if she knew, he lies to her about what happened.

It really isn't out of character at all. It's not a plot twist, but a character twist - you've been lulled into thinking Joel's a different kind of person than he is, because you've seen him soften over the course of the game, but he wasn't becoming a better person, he was just making a new bond. He doesn't care about the greater good at all because he doesn't think it exists. He was a member of thieving murder gangs and thinks that's how the world is. This stuff is all in his dialogue, and in how other characters like his brother and Tess describe him.

Joel's just an emotional man with strong paternal instincts. He was probably that way before the outbreak, but wouldn't have been to put to the test like he is with Ellie at the end. It's probably what he would always have done.

As for putting Ellie in danger, I don't remember any specific incident like that but I figure he does earlier on in the game. That's because she's still just some kid to him at that point and it's only in the last 25% of the game his attitude really changes.

Joe might save the world sacrificing Ellie, but his world is over. So fuck the world.

shaowebb

DvYpKP8.jpg

Geez what is this Pinball Wizard? Where someone loses once and they're booed out of the building or some such shaming?

Rousey tried to fight a striker bout and never went to her grappling. She learned that she's tough as hell but sooner or later you can't rely on that and out tough someone. She needs to stick with her guns and will probably do so next time. No need for the internet to dog her so much over it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A boxer will beat a grappler...if the grappler decides to box the boxer.

Or she takes the fall she predicted on Jimmy Fallon for a huge payday. She probably got in on the action.

jmdajr

Geez what is this Pinball Wizard? Where someone loses once and they're booed out of the building or some such shaming?

Rousey tried to fight a striker bout and never went to her grappling. She learned that she's tough as hell but sooner or later you can't rely on that and out tough someone. She needs to stick with her guns and will probably do so next time. No need for the internet to dog her so much over it.

It's a bit much. Granted she hasn't painted herself in the best light recently. But still.

i've been meaning to ask you, what source does IVPvideos use for their releases of old Japan shows? do they record form VHS and clean the video up then transcode? or were these shows released on DVD in Japan and they use that as source?

It varies depending on the product - some are sourced from DVDs, but most are TV/VHS rips. Some look better than others, though. For instance, AJPW had an 'All Japan Classics' TV show at one point, so a lot of older stuff was remastered for that and looks great.

In general the quality of Japanese stuff from the 70s & 80s holds up remarkably well, much better than their US or EU counterparts, but IVP will note if the footage quality isn't that great or if it's a handheld fancam recording, etc.

Joe might save the world sacrificing Ellie, but his world is over. So fuck the world.

Also just that Joel has been 100% motivated by his own interests for years, and so has everyone around him. He doesn't care about these assholes who lure people into cities to kill and loot them, and he thinks that's how everyone must be because that's how he is.

He is at best skeptical of the idea that Ellie's mutation could somehow he used to save the world - he's not some damn scientist - so while he doesn't have a problem with helping out as a part of a job where he gets paid, it isn't his quest or anything. If he has a quest, it's to finish the job Tess started because she was part of his family. When that quest threatens his new family, Ellie, he reacts the way he feels.

I think people just expect Joel to be heroic because he's the protagonist, but there's nothing out of character with what he did at all, including lying to Ellie about it. It's a strong and interesting ending. If you don't like downbeat endings, that's fine, but I just don't buy that it's out of character or a 'cheap twist' - a cheap twist is one that betrays character, while this one is entirely built on his character.

bjork

I was poking into areas that I had no business walking into which frustrated me. Felt overwhelmed at that point and just took a step back. Currently focused on being able to make money from shops to make enough caps to buy ammo for my explosive weapons and buying perks that will let me build power armor upgrades. There have been some amazing gifs of power armor combat in the OT.

So far I've had two encounters that I needed to run from, just from exploring:

there's a shop with raiders out front, and a truck with two long pipes on a trailer. I spent a bunch of time there hiding on top of a pipe from a Legendary Mirelurk, because it would dart back down an alley instead of trying to attack me, for some reason

on the island in the southeast of the map, I killed a mirelurk up-close, then saw a Mirelurk King in the water. He had a skull next to his lifebar. I started to back away and a mirelurk hunter popped out of the ground. I audibly yelled "oh fuck" and ran to a safe spot and fast traveled out of there, heh

Aside from that, it's all been mostly safe. Oh, and I ran from some Yao Guai early on, but I was like level 3 at the time. I think I'm 15 now, I bet I could go smoke those fools.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shaowebb, I shared the exact sentiments here over this weekend. I just thought the parallel between RotTR and that fight was amusing. Agreed on all accounts though.

I do like how Rhonda predicted the way in which she would lose. Skip to 0:30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/1hmfzFh56Vo

It was a work. She took a fall and cashed in with a gigantic 9:1 bet. She doesn't care because she's going to be a big movie star and clobber her in a rematch at UFC 200.

Nikki's doing rehab and trying to avoid surgery for her injury (bulging discs in her neck). There's fluid in her central nervous system, discs pushing on her spinal cord. Hope is the rehab will be enough to heal it, but essentially she was pulled because (like Edge, Austin, Kidd, etc) one more bump could have paralyzed her. No timetable for her return.

oddjobs

wow, this Okada vs. Tenryu match is hard to watch. Tenryu can barely even move or punch, yet is taking some surprisingly stiff bumps. And almost killed Okada :(

bjork

Nikki's doing rehab and trying to avoid surgery for her injury (bulging discs in her neck). There's fluid in her central nervous system, discs pushing on her spinal cord. Hope is the rehab will be enough to heal it, but essentially she was pulled because (like Edge, Austin, Kidd, etc) one more bump could have paralyzed her. No timetable for her return.

Shame she is out, because you don't wish injury or potential injury on anyone, but it gives these other ladies a chance to step up, provided the writers have that mindset.

Damn that's messed up. Besides AJ quitting, Nikki was the best thing to happen to the Divas division this year. I hope she stays #fearless and is able to bounce back. Saddest injury news since Kidd tbh.

So...

Everyone watching Raw tonight!

not me. Football!
I hope you're going in with incredibly low expectations for the Texans.

jmdajr

Damn that's messed up. Besides AJ quitting, Nikki was the best thing to happen to the Divas division this year. I hope she stays #fearless and is able to bounce back. Saddest injury news since Kidd tbh.

I hope you're going in with incredibly low expectations for the Texans.

No way. Texans are gonna crush the Bengals!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Poor Nikki :(

Watched that Legends episode about Taker. Shawn Michaels never adds anything to the conversation, in everything he shows up to. He's inoffensive but just nothing. Completely neutral.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Poor Nikki :(

Watched that Legends episode about Taker. Shawn Michaels never adds anything to the conversation, in everything he shows up to. He's inoffensive but just nothing. Completely neutral.

Probably still scared that Taker was going to push his shit in if he pulled anything at WM XIV...

That or HBK just isn't a great interview.

Top Bottom