• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Mahonay

Banned
Sad to see Cesaro lose last night. It was actually a great match. Also Del Rio wrestling 3 times at SS? Or they giving him a free pass on defending US title

hAW6XUH.jpg

Fuck.

He's looked bad in the ring for about a year now.

Not bad enough to prevent him from having a few really solid to great matches. There's bad, and there's bad. Last night was the latter. I'd argue he's the only Shield guy who has palpably regressed as an in-ring performer since they broke up. My gut says he's just kind of lazy without driven guys like Roman and Rollins there to light a fire under him.

Zach

The WrassleGAF required viewing starter deck:

Bret vs. Austin (Mania 13, aka the GOAT) - Yeah.
Shawn vs. Taker (Mania 25) - Haven't seen. I've heard it's good. I should watch it.
Shawn vs. Taker (HIAC 1997) - Nah.
John Cena vs. CM Punk (MITB 2011) - Haven't seen.
Rock vs. Austin (Mania X7) - Nah.
Rock vs. Hogan (Mania X8) - Maybe.
Mankind vs. Taker (KOTR 1998) - Yes.
TLC 2 (Mania X7) - Not sure.

literally off the top of my head and nothing before 97 because I've barely even watched that stuff

Also, would stuff like Shawn vs. Bret (SS 1997) or Brock vs. Taker (WM30) count? Average/bad matches with historic finishes/endings. I want to say no.

No for those last two. nWo vs. WCW is the only not-great match that's worth it for the storytelling/finish.

Zach

How about Shawn/Razor Ladder Match at WM X? That was pretty great.

And why haven't you made any Flair/Steamboat suggestions, Liquidsnake? God dang, pal.

Anth0ny

New lapsed fan is up

I may need to stop listening to them at the gym

I was listening to their backlash 2000 review and they started doing austin impressions for like 3 straight minutes. was never so close to bursting out with laughter at the gym. literally had to stop and pause that cast or risk embarrassment.

#youtrash

No for those last two. nWo vs. WCW is the only not-great match that's worth it for the storytelling/finish.

you are aware that the Meltz himself gave Shawn/Taker HIAC 97 a 5 star rating? It would be his last 5 star WWE match until... Punk vs. Cena in 2011!

Also, Rock vs. Austin at X7 was like the final, perfect battle between the two greatest stars in the history of THIS BUSINESS to cap off the greatest, hottest era in the history of THIS BUSINESS. Watching it brings a tear to my eye. We'll never see anything like it ever again, brother.

We can confirm that Zach is a harsher critic of wrasslin than Dave Meltzer. God damn son.

Mahonay

Banned
Not bad enough to prevent him from having a few really solid to great matches. There's bad, and there's bad. Last night was the latter. I'd argue he's the only Shield guy who has palpably regressed as an in-ring performer since they broke up. My gut says he's just kind of lazy without driven guys like Roman and Rollins there to light a fire under him.
When I watch Ambrose wrestle now it looks like he's just going through the motions. It's not fun to watch. Not sure what's going on with him but I certainly hope something changes.

Lothar

Banned
FAV FIVE SNES GAMES

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Super Mario World
  3. Final Fantasy 3 (FF6 in Japan)
  4. Super Mario RPG
  5. Donkey Kong Country 2
Honorable Mentions = Turtles in Time, Mario Kart, Super Metroid

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Earthbound
3. Super Metroid
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Final Fantasy 4

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs > Turtles in Time

How many matches have been confirmed for SS. I count 5 so far
SS champ tourny
Diva match
Wyatt vs BOD
Tag match

Any more?

As of today:
Roman Reigns vs. Alberto Del Rio
Dean Ambrose vs. Kevin Owens
Reigns vs. Ambrose/Owens

Charlotte vs. Paige
Wyatts vs. Brothers of Destruction

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sad to see Cesaro lose last night. It was actually a great match. Also Del Rio wrestling 3 times at SS? Or they giving him a free pass on defending US title

They haven't set a New Day match but New Day vs. Usos is pretty much a lock I would think. So I would imagine it goes like this:

Del Rio v. Reigns
Ambrose v. Owens
Winner v. Reigns
Wyatts v. Takerkane
Paige v. Charlotte
Jobber Survivor Series Match Made Up On SmackDown
New Day v. Usos

klonere

Banned
Ambrose has mid carditis. Should have pulled the trigger on him last year.

Everyone has midcarditis. Except for Roman who has the unfortunate condition of being "the next face of the company" post John Cena, which is terminal with no known cure.

When I watch Ambrose wrestle now it looks like he's just going through the motions. It's not fun to watch. Not sure what's going on with him but I certainly hope something changes.

idk what you guys are talking about I gave the match a watch and thought it was an interesting, different and engaging little TV bout. Lots of grappling, Dolph being more low key than usual, a really nice finish. Definitely not Cesaro TV match tier but that's not what they were trying to achieve. All Ambrose has to do is drop the rebound portion of his lariat and stop doing dives.

If you wanna talk about someone who hasn't had it in the ring for a long time

iqCiCZE.gif

espher

Indie Flippy Shit Top 5 SNES

5. Demon's Crest
4. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
3. NHLPA Hockey '93
2. The Lost Vikings
1. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

HM: Arcana, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man Soccer, NBA Jam: TE, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, SimCity, Ys III

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to set up a poll for the Best of the Best on stuff and talk about it on legitshook...

Gurrry

watching raw now.. this contract signing at the end is so full of cringe..

edit: atleast the fight at the end was sort of worth it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its weird that I keep seeing shit about Clarissa today.

Everyone has midcarditis. Except for Roman who has the unfortunate condition of being "the next face of the company" post John Cena, which is terminal with no known cure.

idk what you guys are talking about I gave the match a watch and thought it was an interesting, different and engaging little TV bout. Lots of grappling, Dolph being more low key than usual, a really nice finish. Definitely not Cesaro TV match tier but that's not what they were trying to achieve. All Ambrose has to do is drop the rebound portion of his lariat and stop doing dives.

If you wanna talk about someone who hasn't had it in the ring for a long time

iqCiCZE.gif

Cesaro has a fire under his ass, except no one in the back cares

Angry Grimace

I don't know, they just need to figure out how to get faces over without making them heels or heels that are just faces by fiat.

klonere

Banned
Cesaro has a fire under his ass, except no one in the back cares

There is literally no reason that Cesaro shouldn't be in Del Rio's spot right now. Zero, nil nada. Even if Cesaro had the same disastrous creative that Del Rio has right now, that has never stopped him putting on incredible matches and for midcard titles right now, that is good enough.

Fucking hell WWE.

Angry Grimace

If Cesaro wants an interesting, charismatic character to get over, he's gonna have to do it himself. It seems like every interview I read about the really popular guys, they mostly got over on their own. The New Day basically said on their Table for 3 that they just lobbied to do all the shit they're doing now over and over until eventually Vince gave in and let them.

And as for comparing him to Del Rio, I don't think its even close. Whether or not Del Rio's putting on phoned in matches with an insanely dumb gimmick, this is all overshadowed by the fact that Del Rio is capable of more than one facial expression.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ambrose's gimmick is doing a really shitty 80s Funk impression without being near as over and not being anywhere as menacing as late 80s-early 90s Funk

And before you try to say Ambrose is over, you have to understand how over 80s Funk was
If Cesaro wants an interesting, charismatic character to get over, he's gonna have to do it himself. It seems like every interview I read about the really popular guys, they mostly got over on their own. The New Day basically said on their Table for 3 that they just lobbied to do all the shit they're doing now over and over until eventually Vince gave in and let them.

why do that when he can just make passive aggressive tweets and wear insider smarky t-shirts instead?

because that will get vince's attention

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ambrose's gimmick is doing a really shitty 80s Funk impression without being near as over and not being anywhere as menacing as late 80s-early 90s Funk

And before you try to say Ambrose is over, you have to understand how over 80s Funk was

why do that when he can just make passive aggressive tweets and wear insider smarky t-shirts instead?

To be fair Hacksaw is more over than anyone on the roster right now except maybe Daniel Bryan.

Angry Grimace

Cesaro needs the Smark gimmick where he grabs the mic and just starts dropping carny lingo rants on Kevin Dunn without any explanation to the casual crowd who Kevin Dunn is or what the hell "putting someone over" is.

DMczaf

I really tried with this Steam Controller, but I think I'm done. Fuck this hot mess.

Taking it back and getting a Xbox One controller for PC.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
To be fair Hacksaw is more over than anyone on the roster right now except maybe Daniel Bryan.
Hacksaw was WAY more over than Daniel Bryan

Hacksaw was, unfortunately, more over than anyone not named Hulk Hogan
I really tried with this Steam Controller, but I think I'm done. Fuck this hot mess.

Taking it back and getting a Xbox One controller for PC.

Don't get an Xbone controller, it's usb port is a flimsy piece of shit that'll die from dropping 2 inches

Cagey

Banned
There is literally no reason that Cesaro shouldn't be in Del Rio's spot right now. Zero, nil nada. Even if Cesaro had the same disastrous creative that Del Rio has right now, that has never stopped him putting on incredible matches and for midcard titles right now, that is good enough.

Fucking hell WWE.

Professional wrestling isn't a meritocracy based on how good your wrestling matches are. It's not a real sport. It's not even a sport. It's a soap opera. Having incredible matches is good enough to make someone a background supporting actor, like one of the random assistant DAs on Law and Order SVU. If you're not entertaining in any other capacity and don't show promise of being more than that, that's all it gets you.

Angry Grimace

Professional wrestling isn't a meritocracy based on how good your wrestling matches are. It's not a real sport. It's not even a sport. It's a soap opera. Having incredible matches is good enough to make someone a background supporting actor, like one of the random assistant DAs on Law and Order SVU. If you're not entertaining in any other capacity and don't show promise of being more than that, that's all it gets you.

It makes me laugh just a little how much smarks tend to drift into full-on mark territory sometimes. Like when the Undertaker lost to Lesnar and a bunch of people started questioning whether the finish was on purpose or not, as though the ref is actually counting out finishes and doesn't know the outcome of the match.

Menome

I wasn't looking forward to that contract-signing segment, but it ended up being...half-decent. Certainly the best Charlotte's been promo-wise since she joined the main roster.

A bunch of good matches in the rest of the show however, bookended by a pointless Taker/Wyatt segment and two average bouts.

Also: With the silence at the beginning and the extended Undertaker entrance, does this come close to a record of longest time between the show starting and someone not on commentary speaking?

Top Bottom