• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

DMczaf

Daniel Bryan's WM main event resulted in huge numbers for the company. There is no denying that fact.

It's just sad we will never find out if his title run would have been a legit draw though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If we're gonna shoot from the hip:

Cesaro's one of the best damn wrestlers on the planet, easily. But he has no character whatsoever. He needs at least something to get Vince to pay attention to him. Daniel Bryan was in the same spot in 2010 but then he started doing goofy shit with his arms and shouting a three-letter word, then he's the biggest star on the planet. If Cesaro wants to go to the next level, he's gotta find something to take him there. It doesn't matter how small it is, but he needs some type of hook.

Mahonay

Banned
It makes me laugh just a little how much smarks tend to drift into full-on mark territory sometimes. Like when the Undertaker lost to Lesnar and a bunch of people started questioning whether the finish was on purpose or not, as though the ref is actually counting out finishes and doesn't know the outcome of the match.
There are documented instances where the refs are instructed to call the match as a shoot in certain situations.

EDIT: unlikely that happens anymore though

Sephzilla

Cesaro's one of the best damn wrestlers on the planet, easily. But he has no character whatsoever. He needs at least something to get Vince to pay attention to him. Daniel Bryan was in the same spot in 2010 but then he started doing goofy shit with his arms and shouting a three-letter word, then he's the biggest star on the planet. If Cesaro wants to go to the next level, he's gotta find something to take him there. It doesn't matter how small it is, but he needs some type of hook.

100% agreed. Cesaro both in terms of look and wrestling ability has all the makings to be a star, but the guy fucking needs a character right now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are documented instances where the refs are instructed to call the match as a shoot in certain situations.

I believe that when I see a notarized affidavit from Vince McMahon.

Wrestling ability is the same red herring: wrestling is fake, being good at wrestling matters about as much as being good at acting matters in getting cast in films.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should have left Zeb with Cesaro and left the goddamn Real Americans theme with Cesaro. Even from the perspective of someone who doesn't actually think Cesaro's done anything or shown any kind of charisma that would merit a huge push, Swagger's basically a guy who shows up for Lumberjack matches at this point, whereas Cesaro at least shows up on pretty much every single week of TV.

Anth0ny

Agreed. He needs a stupid chant that they can put on a stupid t shirt.

Until then, he's just a great worker. Hard to market that, no matter how awesome his matches are or how well the fans react during his matches. Bryan's yes chant was enough.

bjork

EDIT: unlikely that happens anymore though

I'd be curious to know which. The only close thing I can think of is Spider Lady

Agreed. He needs a stupid chant that they can put on a stupid t shirt.

Until then, he's just a great worker. Hard to market that, no matter how awesome his matches are or how well the fans react during his matches. Bryan's yes chant was enough.

"I say Cesar, you say ohhhhhhhh"

Mahonay

Banned
Cesaro could be booked as the Euro-Brock.

Swiss Brock if you weeeeeel daddah
I know it's not his actual personality type, but unstoppable wrecking machine would have been awesome for Cesaro. Then again that's not really doable when you're booked to lose for long stretches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lol are you suggesting Hacksaw would have been capable of popping a stadium of 70,000?

lol there is no would have. He did. All the time. Hacksaw Jim Duggan was one of the most over gimmicks in American wrestling history
Cesaro could be booked as the Euro-Brock.

Swiss Brock if you weeeeeel daddah

the dude who takes photos of himself drinking coffee like he's some kind of tourist? a 'brock type'?

pls

I know there were news stories going on a few years back that refs were supposed to treat pins as a shoot, and always count the 3 if there was no kickout. Isn't that what happened with Emma at Takeover?

klonere

Banned
If Cesaro wants an interesting, charismatic character to get over, he's gonna have to do it himself. It seems like every interview I read about the really popular guys, they mostly got over on their own. The New Day basically said on their Table for 3 that they just lobbied to do all the shit they're doing now over and over until eventually Vince gave in and let them.

And as for comparing him to Del Rio, I don't think its even close. Whether or not Del Rio's putting on phoned in matches with an insanely dumb gimmick, this is all overshadowed by the fact that Del Rio is capable of more than one facial expression

Professional wrestling isn't a meritocracy based on how good your wrestling matches are. It's not a real sport. It's not even a sport. It's a soap opera. Having incredible matches is good enough to make someone a background supporting actor, like one of the random assistant DAs on Law and Order SVU. If you're not entertaining in any other capacity and don't show promise of being more than that, that's all it gets you.

I'm not talking about the guy opening and closing the show, I'm not talking about the guy to talk about unicorns, or how your local sports team sucks, or how he's not gonna sell out. Someone who while is apparently devoid of personality, charisma or wit gets a good to great reaction every week when given a chance to display his strengths. I'm talking about the guy who could hold a belt that had been built up as a vehicle for a (again) good to great match on free TV every week and Cesaro is perfectly capable of filling that void. Give him Zeb to do a little spiel at the start of every Open Challenge with whatever garbage creative can spew out.

Del Rio has managed to have the worst Cena PPV match of the year, the worst US Open Challenge match, garbage promos, zero heat and seems completely checked out.

Angry Grimace

I'd be curious to know which. The only close thing I can think of is Spider Lady

"I say Cesar, you say ohhhhhhhh"

I mean, there are times where the ref is instructed to do something one or both of the performers don't know about, but that's not shoot counting, its just a screwjob. Or you're Jeff Hardy and high as fuck and probably don't know what the outcome was supposed to be to begin with.

klonere

Banned
I know there were news stories going on a few years back that refs were supposed to treat pins as a shoot, and always count the 3 if there was no kickout. Isn't that what happened with Emma at Takeover?

...I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened with Emma. The ref counted 3, she won the match when clearly she wasn't meant to.

100% agreed. Cesaro both in terms of look and wrestling ability has all the makings to be a star, but the guy fucking needs a character right now.
Welcome to the real world, fellows. Glad you finally listened.

Cesaro's next gimmick should be a fitness instructor. Have him come out with leg warmers and a head band. Trying to get the crowd pumped. It probably wouldn't require a lot of charisma or personality to get over, either, which is great for Cesaro because he has none.

Ithil

Slightly truncated summary of Bryan's 2010-2013, to say the least.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cesaro has the face of a goober. Always has. Nothing about him looks threatening or menacing.

Daniel Bryan had a natural curve of a face turn. One of the first since. Jeeze, Austin? Where you can't even pin point where he turned face really. There's a huge difference between the two.

Heel

Daniel Bryan's WM main event resulted in huge numbers for the company. There is no denying that fact.

It's just sad we will never find out if his title run would have been a legit draw though.

That's an interesting take on history, DMczaf.

As I remember it, Daniel Bryan wasn't even on the marquee. Vince had to hide him from the mass WrestleMania audience in a stipulation match.

Ithil

cesaror5rsr.jpg

Yeah whatever dude.

Cesaro has the face of a goober. Always has. Nothing about him looks threatening or menacing.

This too. The way he moves around too. He's a little over the top in his showmanship during matches. He always reminds me of like the guy that would be running the dolphin show at SeaWorld.

Cagey

Banned

The problem is that smirk of smug bemusement that's permanently affixed to his face. It's not threatening or menacing or endearing or positive. Miz-tier douche status.

Maybe he should grow out a beard to hide it.

Mahonay

Banned
Table for 3 definitely showed the guy is a big lovable dork. Doesn't do him any favors in that area.
The problem is that smirk of smug bemusement that's permanently affixed to his face. It's not threatening or menacing or endearing or positive. Miz-tier douche status.

Maybe he should grow out a beard to hide it.
Come on son. No.

Marvel

could never
Right there. I swear to god that idea would work.

Dude has a contract signing. Has a table with two cups of tea on it. Comes out decked in suit and scarf. Opponent provokes him and he turns into the Frakenstein monster and just goes apeshit. Tea flying everywhere, out the cups, out the pot, out the opponent's ass.

After the beating, Cesaro sits back down and resumes tea drinking. Gives no fucks.
Darjeeling or Earl Grey?

Ithil

It's a bit rich to go "Cesaro doesn't have a character, he can't be a top guy without, he should go find one on this 100% scripted and controlled show" when the guy they're shoving into the top position doesn't have one.

"They call you the swiss superman... You think you can come here to my united states of america and call yourself superman? Youre lookin at the real thing, jack. The only thing thats swiss about you are your underpants with how many holes they got in'm *smiles directly at the camera and laughs*"

bjork

I got these mother's cookies on sale the other day. They're little vanilla sandwich cookies. Every single one of these has both sides of the cookie facing the same way, so one side's outside is supposed to be the inside. I feel cheated, the texture sensation is all wrong.

Top Bottom