• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ithil

Two different types of characters. As mentioned earlier, one is manufactured to sell t shirts and toys. the other isn't. Cesaro needs to go bigger with the crowd, to draw. It takes a special person to be all of the above.

Then put Cesaro in a flak vest and give him forty catchphrases that don't catch on. Same difference.

Heel

436481_lg_zpsc308440d.jpg

He's right next to **** *****

I think we'd have to agree "Daniel Bryan's main event" is at its core a disingenuous statement. It was never sold as such to the general audience, which is the driving force behind WrestleMania's success.

Ithil

I think we'd have to agree "Daniel Bryan's main event" is at its core a disingenuous statement. It was never sold as such to the general audience, which is the driving force behind WrestleMania's success.

Wrestlemania is the driving force behind Wrestlemania's success. Has been for most of the last decade.

Mahonay

Banned
Although there were a hell of a lot of Daniel Bryan signs that night.
Wrestlemania is the driving force behind Wrestlemania's success. Has been for most of the last decade.
But yeah, this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cesaro has the face of a goober. Always has. Nothing about him looks threatening or menacing.

Daniel Bryan had a natural curve of a face turn. One of the first since. Jeeze, Austin? Where you can't even pin point where he turned face really. There's a huge difference between the two.

He just has that goofball expression 100% of the time whether he's wrestling, being offered a heel turn by HHH, turning on Zeb Colter, etc.

Her words say "I'm mad," but her 15 hashtags scream "worked shoot"

Heel

I mean, it's quite the contrary when you think about it. Imagine trying to push "Daniel Bryan's WrestleMania XXX" to the general audience.

Vince McMahon should be given a lot of credit for both bending over backwards to appease smarks so they don't ruin the end of the show, and maintaining a credible marquee to sell to normal people.

It's a bit rich to go "Cesaro doesn't have a character, he can't be a top guy without, he should go find one on this 100% scripted and controlled show" when the guy they're shoving into the top position doesn't have one.

Roman sucks, but I can see why the WWE thinks he has a marketable look. He's a good looking guy, the hair, the tattoo, he's got shit that makes him standout. If Cesaro and Roman both walked into a gym Roman would stand out more. Cesaro has the look of a grunt that gets killed in the first 10 minutes of a James Bond movie.

Mahonay

Banned
I mean, it's quite the contrary when you think about it. Imagine trying to push "Daniel Bryan's WrestleMania XXX" to the general audience.

Vince McMahon should be given a lot of credit for both bending over backwards to appease smarks so they don't ruin the end of the show and maintaining a credible marquee.
If Vince can do one thing it's making a crazy ass spectacle once a year that appeals to a huge audience.

bjork

Yep. Even casual people will turn up to someone's house for WM if they ordered it, and then sit through all the recap stuff so they at least have some idea of who these guys are who aren't Rock and UT.

Roman sucks, but I can see why the WWE thinks he has a marketable look. He's a good looking guy, the hair, the tattoo, he's got shit that makes him standout. If Cesaro and Roman both walked into a gym Roman would stand out more. Cesaro has the look of a grunt that gets killed in the first 10 minutes of a James Bond movie.

I think he'd stand out more because he'd be wearing all of his own merch, while Cesaro would be over there wishing he had a shirt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Cesaro could totally pull off being Blofeld or any other well-heeled bond villain at least in terms of his physical appearance. The fact that they don't put him in that kind of role given Bautista being in Spectre and all tells you a lot about their confidence in his acting skills.

Lana and Paige twitter beef

Shoot or a work brothers?

everything is a work until proven otherwise

Heel

We can say "WrestleMania sells WrestleMania" but the fact is the buyrate had fluctuated by hundreds of thousands year-to-year. Of course the card matters.

Mahonay

Banned
What? In a gym Cesaro would stand out more with his Greek God physique, compared to Roman's "I'm constantly fighting my fat Samoan genes" look.

Im going to be real here. The only genuine reason why I give a shit about Cesaro is because of my dear friend, Fox. I care more about the ups and downs of Fox's plight to see Cesaro win the title. Im not even fuckin joking. If Cesaro ever wins, I'd get legit emotional for fox and not even care all that much for Cesaro. I think Fox likes Cesaro more than Cesaro likes Cesaro. I am sold on and honest to HBK's christ in heaven genuinely invested in Fox's journey to his fave being the guy.

If we're gonna shoot from the hip:

Cesaro's one of the best damn wrestlers on the planet, easily. But he has no character whatsoever. He needs at least something to get Vince to pay attention to him. Daniel Bryan was in the same spot in 2010 but then he started doing goofy shit with his arms and shouting a three-letter word, then he's the biggest star on the planet. If Cesaro wants to go to the next level, he's gotta find something to take him there. It doesn't matter how small it is, but he needs some type of hook.

Cesaro wishes (probably doesn't) that he could pull off Daniel Bryan's heel run.

Heel

Im going to be real here. The only genuine reason why I give a shit about Cesaro is because of my dear friend, Fox. I care more about the ups and downs of Fox's plight to see Cesaro win the title. Im not even fuckin joking. If Cesaro ever wins, I'd get legit emotional for fox and not even care all that much for Cesaro. I think Fox likes Cesaro more than Cesaro likes Cesaro. I am sold on and honest to HBK's christ in heaven genuinely invested in Fox's journey to his fave being the guy.

On the contrary, Frecklestein, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching Cesaro's failures to see Fox318 attempt to hide the pain with photos of Cesaro holding a coffee.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Given he gets zero promo time, no gimmick, no nothing, that's not really true.
It's Roman they're trying desperately to pretend has charisma with these painful promos and segments.

I don't watch Raw, but it sounds and looks like he's on tv every week, usually working with upper tier guys.

We're not talking about Damien Sandow or Curtis Axel

Ithil

I don't watch Raw, but it sounds and looks like he's on tv every week, usually working with upper tier guys.

We're not talking about Damien Sandow or Curtis Axel

He has matches, dude. That's it. Usually ones he loses.
How are you supposed to develop a complex character with that time?

People bringing up Daniel Bryan, but Bryan didn't create that great heel character when he was jobbing in 2011 in random matches with no storylines. He created it when he was World champion, getting promo time and a push as the weaselly heel. It snowballed from there.

Barrage

What? In a gym Cesaro would stand out more with his Greek God physique, compared to Roman's "I'm constantly fighting my fat Samoan genes" look.

Do yo really think "fighting my fat Samoan genes" is a look? Or that Roman reigns has it?

Show 100 people off the street a picture of Roman Reigns, see if the words "fat samoan" come up.

Then show a pictureof Cesaro, and ask people which guy looks more interesting.

Its a no-contest.

Ive had multiple friends' sisters and gifriends (who dont watch wrestling) stop when hes on screen and ask about him.

Noone says shit about Cesaro. Dude's finisher should be called the Nondescript.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On the contrary, Frecklestein, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching Cesaro's failures to see Fox318 attempt to hide the pain with photos of Cesaro holding a coffee.

The years of struggle are what makes the eventual success all the more sweeter, friend.

Mahonay

Banned
Do yo really think "fighting my fat Samoan genes" is a look? Or that Roman reigns has it?

Show 100 people off the street a picture of Roman Reigns, see if the words "fat samoan" come up.

Its a no-contest.

Ive had multiple friends' sisters and gifriends (who dont watch wrestling) stop when hes on screen and ask about him.

I'm mostly kidding man.

Also Cesaro makes my girlfriend tingle. Hates Reigns. Different strokes.

Ithil

Its a no-contest.

Yes these hypothetical 100 people you just made up to have the opinion you wanted them to have are stirring evidence.

Zach

He has matches, dude. That's it. Usually ones he loses.
How are you supposed to develop a complex character with that time?

People bringing up Daniel Bryan, but Bryan didn't create that great heel character when he was jobbing in 2011 in random matches with no storylines. He created it when he was World champion, getting promo time and a push as the weaselly heel. It snowballed from there.

What's a good weaselly heel Daniel Bryan match? I wasn't watching wrasslin' in 2011.

Ithil

What's a good weaselly heel Daniel Bryan match? I wasn't watching wrasslin' in 2011.

Elimination Chamber match in 2012, where Santino of all people got the crowd wanting him to win the World title. By WM28 a month later Bryan had already started turning from getting heat to getting cheers because of how entertaining he was, and the catchy Yes chant (which was meant as a heel thing originally).

Anything during his time chasing and winning the whc with his antics of treating AJ like shit or nearly getting her killed on multiple occasions. He made a triple threat cage match involving Mark Henry and Big show actually entertaining

Cesaro could totally pull off being Blofeld or any other well-heeled bond villain at least in terms of his physical appearance. The fact that they don't put him in that kind of role given Bautista being in Spectre and all tells you a lot about their confidence in his acting skills.

It's hard to pull of a believable heel gimmick when you have a stupid Dreamworks smirk permanently plastered on your face.

Top Bottom