• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I swear Booker said something along those lines at KotR

He did, JBL was saying there'd never been a high flying King before, then thought for a second and said except Owen, but that Owen wasn't as high flying as neville

then book made his comment and there was silence lol. he apologised on twitter straight after, but people already knew it wasn't malicious because it's book. HE COMING FOR YOU

'I will never forgive your mother for giving birth to you!"

Vince to Shane

that was a god tier wwf promo. before the dark times. before wcwxecw

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All those years I was shooting up in motel bathrooms, throwing my future away, all i thought was 'if my sister can use this as an angle over a butterfly belt that no one will remember in a month' then i'll be happy

Fox318

Don+frye.jpg

dream

I'm just glad you guys are all finally reveling in the tacky tastelessness of pro wrestling. This is all I ever wanted for wrestlinggaf. Soon you'll be making jokes about Scott Hall falling off the wagon, and popping for King's death.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who has the best theme on the current WWE roster today?

Ascension is the right answer but I'm curious about everyone else's wrong answer. Anyone answering with a CFO$ joint is mostly right, just not completely.

Sephzilla

Ascension is the right answer but I'm curious about everyone else's wrong answer. Anyone answering with a CFO$ joint is mostly right, just not completely.

1. Lesnar
  2. Balor
  3. Rollins
  4. Ascension
  5. Banks
Honorable Mentions: Kevin Owens, Asuka, Tyler Breeze

Kaladin

Toss up between Kevin Owens and Finn Balor with honorable mentions to Tyler Breeze and The Wyatt Family.

Toss up between Kevin Owens and Finn Balor with honorable mentions to Tyler Breeze and The Wyatt Family.
Hilarious that mention that, my fiancée was like they're creepy as hell but I really love their theme song (the Wyatt Family).

I love Stardust's theme, it's very spooky.

Used to be that fans got mad because they thought a fake angle was real, nowadays fans get mad because they know the fake angle has an element of truth to it and are uncomfortable with this fact. Introducing real life situations into a product that often takes pains to separate itself from reality is at odds with WWE's squeaky clean entertainment image, I find. You can't have it both ways.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Used to be that fans got mad because they thought a fake angle was real, nowadays fans get mad because they know the fake angle has an element of truth to it and are uncomfortable with this fact. Introducing real life situations into a product that often takes pains to separate itself from reality is at odds with WWE's squeaky clean entertainment image, I find. You can't have it both ways.
I personally don't want it both ways. It's an extension of kayfabe. Let it happen dammit!

Hex

Banned
"Steph, at Wrestlemania, i'll pound you harder than Macho Man did when you were underage"

Fire your writer.
A true master of the mic would say " Steph, at Mania I'll pull a Macho Man on that sweet ass Ooooooo Yeeeeeeahhhh. See ya there."

See, less is more.
The idiots are all "oooh he said Macho oooooh yeaaaaah woooooooo!!!!!"
The smarks are all "oooooooooooooo he didn't!!!!"
The wussy smarks are all "I am so offended , I am so totally going to blog about this and post about this right now he he will so totally not going to get away from that.
I need a latte, I am completely shaken right now"

Owen's security harness didn't have much fight, did it, Vince?

"I will drop you faster than Owen's harness you loser."
Or
"Without me your ratings will drop faster than Owen Hart"

"YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE, YOU COULDN'T BEAT ME. YOU CHOKED WORSE THAN NANCY AND DANIEL BENOIT"

All in the delivery.

WWE just has to have testicular fortitude to stand their ground.

I think it depends what type of "reality" is being injected into the product. Shit like backstage politics and relationship drama are alright, but dead family members are just too dark and morbid to really add anything good to the program.

Kaladin

Whatever happened to characters having their own lives and not letting reality get in the way of that?

Ric Flair was a character who stole the women of his opponents.

Dolph Ziggler was a character who stole Lana away from Rusev until reality came out that Lana and Rusev were getting married and that whole angle went up in kayfabe smoke.

Anyone know who Bauer and Pollock were talking about on today's episode.

A wrestler had a syrenge stuck in their ass and billed the company for the operation

dream

I've been working on an academic article on this phenomena, Bootaaay, in which I argue that pro wrestling has shifted towards a model that I call The New Kayfabe. Now that the curtain has largely been pulled back, and there is barely a pretense of this stuff being real, the real booking happens on the periphery, with the veneer of sincerity being deployed as the primary booking tool. I think WWE realizes that wrestling fans still desperately need to believe in authenticity, and the most effective way to make them believe is to construct sincere scenarios in which WWE makes fans feel like insiders, then uses that against them. Like how Daniel Bryan was "obviously" being held down by backstage politics. Or how CM Punk was "obviously" shooting because he mentioned Ring of Honor. Or how NXT is "obviously" an organic, grassroots promotion that responds to the fans' presence. Or how Ric Flair is "obviously" upset about Reid's death being used as an angle.

And I think The New Kayfabe is very effective. Stuff like Total Divas falls apart under scrutiny, but look at how many people believe Breaking Ground is "real."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whatever happened to characters having their own lives and not letting reality get in the way of that?

Ric Flair was a character who stole the women of his opponents.

Dolph Ziggler was a character who stole Lana away from Rusev until reality came out that Lana and Rusev were getting married and that whole angle went up in kayfabe smoke.

I think this was an example of them aborting an angle that was not getting over at all, and not some kind of damage control for real-life news.

The blow off for the angle would almost assuredly require Lana to wrestle Summer Rae and was clearly leading there, but Lana hadn't even shown up on TV in months, much less be in any kind of shape to fight or train.

I can't believe people are upset about Charlottes promo. You fucking chickenshits! Finally something a little edgy and everyone starts crying like Ric Flair does when he sees someone he knows.

Nah, it was edgy for the sake of edginess. Vince has proven time and again that he's a carny piece of shit with absolutely no shame (e.g. Interviewing Brian Pillman's wife right after his death to try and get her to shift the blame away from Vince). Exploiting someone's death for cheap heat is scraping the bottom of the barrel (see Eddiesploitation, except this was even worse when you factor in that the family weren't told in advance).

Kaladin

I think this was an example of them aborting an angle that was not getting over at all, and not some kind of damage control for real-life news.

The blow off for the angle would almost assuredly require Lana to wrestle Summer Rae and was clearly leading there, but Lana hadn't even shown up on TV in months, much less be in any kind of shape to fight or train.

It's still a good example though, but yeah, in this case I think they used the news as an excuse to blow off the angle that was plagued by injuries from nearly everyone involved at some point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The worst part of that angle was that it was legit being carried by Summer Rae. She wasn't even doing a bad job, it was just kind of fucked to expect freaking Summer Rae to fully carry a mid-card feud that was getting a LOT of TV time.

dream

Nah, it was edgy for the sake of edginess. Vince has proven time and again that he's a carny piece of shit with absolutely no shame (e.g. Interviewing Brian Pillman's wife to try and get her to shift the blame for his death away from Vince). Exploiting someone's death for cheap heat is scraping the bottom of the barrel (see Eddiesploitation, except this was even worse when you factor in that the family weren't told in advance).

But is this exclusive to Vince? Or is it more emblematic of pro wrestling as a whole?

Angry Grimace

i wasn't offended/didn't see the big deal about the flair thing

the only reaction I had was that it was lazy writing

I guess it was in-fact controversial. Half of us thought it was entertaining carny shit and half of us thought it was tasteless carny shit.

I came down with the former. It's fucked up, but that's what heels do: they say asshole shit.

Top Bottom