• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Last time Stone Cold was on RAW (his first appearance in four years) he had a nothing promo at the start of the show introducing the Undertaker, and then that was it.

So yeah.

the funniest part was stone cold admitting later that he had no clue what the fuck the point of it was

kiguel182

Attractive is only a plus if it's combined with charisma. Cena's big strength is how readily he banters with tv show hosts. He's quick witted. Reigns had never been that guy and will never be the needy Cena for them.

If your definition of appeal is how your guy is going to behave on a talk show you already lost.

Ithil

Im trying to figure this thread out, it seems like most people just want WWE to go away.

You all complain, but when Foley complains and articulates it much better than most people would, hes a baby, OK.
Everything that is disliked is immediately attributed to Vince.
Everyone hates Cena but people are counting the days until his return

Its probably the WWE's fault, but theres so much cynicism here that as a guy whos come back to wrestling in the last 4 months and has had a relatively good time doing it, I dont think any of you can be happy with the product no matter what they do.

I'm perfectly ok with Cena in certain capacities. I never want to see him as WWE champ again, or have a feud with an undefeated monster heel ever again, but I'm totally ok with him in his US champion deal he's had this year.

Everything that happens on RAW is given the final say by Vince. Everything good, and everything bad, it doesn't happen without his say so and usually his direct input. Hence the blame on him when a show is mostly bad.

Im trying to figure this thread out, it seems like most people just want WWE to go away.

WWE was way worse during the Commish Johnny Ace period but they had guys that people were interested in. With all the injuries and other stuff the only people I want to see are Rusev (whose been buried and hurt), Sasha (slowly being built), and New Day (comedy tag team). Everything else I just want to fast forward through.

klonere

Banned
I still want a Cena/Orton tag team run when they are back and both healthy. I think they have a lot of funny stuff they could do with that.

I still want a Cena/Orton tag team run when they are back and both healthy. I think they have a lot of funny stuff they could do with that.

The groundwork's been laid
DhTmX6H.jpg

jmdajr

Cena and Orton era did just fine you know. And many will say that was probbaly the dullest period ever.
But the the more mainstream fans ate it up. Enough.

Now who is happy?

Casual disappointed, hardcore fans disappointed.

We want someone.
clap* clap* clap*clap*clap*

klonere

Banned
I definitely got on board with Cena during the US Open Challenge. It was completely fucking ruined then by having Del Rio win in a 7 minute squash.

That heat was MADE for an NXT guy. Like...how fucking stupid is WWE? How do you fuck the best thing you've built up in the last year so easily? FUCK FUCK FUCK

FUCKKKK

Anth0ny

I definitely got on board with Cena during the US Open Challenge. It was completely fucking ruined then by having Del Rio win in a 7 minute squash.

That heat was MADE for an NXT guy. Like...how fucking stupid is WWE? How do you fuck the best thing you've built up in the last year so easily? FUCK FUCK FUCK

FUCKKKK

if it makes you feel any better

cena is going to squash del rio in 5 minutes when he returns

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reigns is basically the opposite of Rollins as a singles star. Wins all of the build up matches, loses when it matters while Rollins always jobs yet wins when it matters.

Aiii

So not worth it

You all complain, but when Foley complains and articulates it much better than most people would, hes a baby, OK.
Everything that is disliked is immediately attributed to Vince.
Everyone hates Cena but people are counting the days until his return

Its probably the WWE's fault, but theres so much cynicism here that as a guy whos come back to wrestling in the last 4 months and has had a relatively good time doing it, I dont think any of you can be happy with the product no matter what they do.

You are combining different people's opinions into one big general contradictory opinion.

There is no hive mind. There are different people with completely different opinions on just about everything in this thread.

There is no hive mind.

There might be general consensus on certain matters, but that is the best you are getting.

FUCKKKK
I feel like Kalisto winning the U.S. title from Cena could've made both a new star and a new Latino star, assuming he's ready

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly think they should just bring up a bunch more dudes and see if they stick because the most over guy on the roster is Dean Ambrose and he's not THAT over.

klonere

Banned
if it makes you feel any better

cena is going to squash del rio in 5 minutes when he returns

God I am going to be raring for Cena squash. So weird.

I hope Crews or someone comes up and takes the belt for good for Cena. Or Sami takes it and they have a unification match with Owens at Mania or something.

Hope springs eternal.

Yeah, it's especially hard to complain about one place being negative about WWE when everywhere you look that talks about WWE right now is being critical of the product

Looking at how badly they're failing to make Roman into another Cena it highlights just how damn perfect Cena really is.

I mean he's the greatest corporate champion you could ever ask for. He's fully committed to the WWE, would never do something like Hogan and go to a rival company,(or do a Rock and leave for Hollywood) Cena's ride or die. He hardly ever takes time off and heals like Wolverine,(unlike poor Austin dealing with lots of injuries) his in ring work is always competent at the least. He can act like a mirror to show off the quality of his opponent and rises to greatness when it comes to big matches.

He has a damn near perfect public image, no big scandals, good on social media, is as all american as you can possibly get. Advertisers love him, he's quick witted as hell, he's a PR machine.

This guy is truly Vince's wet dream.

Jamie OD

Raw Viewership for 11/23:

8pm: 3.190
9pm: 2.990
10pm: 2.712

Avg: 2.964

Wow first time below 3 million viewers. The Sheamus and Reigns era bombed on night one.

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

What were the NFL numbers? I was under the impression the Patriots Vs Bills game was going to be huge based on ESPN heavily pushing the rivalry between Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan. I bet a lot of TV shows in general would get slaughtered by that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually want Cena to juice up other belts instead. Like the Tag titles, the IC belt, the Light Heavyweight title, the NXT title.

klonere

Banned
EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

What were the NFL numbers? I was under the impression the Patriots Vs Bills game was going to be huge based on ESPN heavily pushing the rivalry between Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan. I bet a lot of TV shows in general would get slaughtered by that.

I think the football completely murdered the ratings. So there's that.

Wasn't his farewell tour meant to be the WM where he beat HHH again? The end of an era? He's meant to be a once a year special attraction and this year they had him kill Bray - twice - and trotted him out to fight Brock - twice. He's an old, terrible looking limited legend who needs to be coming in now to put over brand new talent on a roster that is desperately thin.

Instead we get that old, terrible looking legend killing some young dudes for no reason other than VKM is only thinking about filling that AT&T in March and needs Taker in some sort of credible state. And you think they are going to have Taker lose what could be his final match, in his home state, at the biggest WM ever? Fuck Taker.

This can all be redeemed by having Balor go over him at WM clean :D

I see the conversation rolled on a bit as I finished up at work. It's not Undertaker's job to put over everyone on the main roster. That would render what he did for Lesnar meaningless. And yes, Lesnar was over before that WM match, but not to the extent he is now, and he was coming off that big UFC loss. Lesnar was already way over, but he was not "The New Phenom" as he is now.

I can't speak about who Taker has put over in the last 10 years, because I mostly stopped watching from around 2002 to 2011 or so. But towards the end of the Attitude era, Taker was a jobber for the stars like Austin and Rock. They kept him moderately strong so they could feed him to those 2. I was there when he jobbed clean to Austin at Summerslam 98.

As for Bray, he's not a dominant heal. He's capable, yes, but he has not been booked super strong and his programs have been stale for well over a year at this point. As far as I'm concerned, he never rebounded from his loss to Cena. He has no direction at the moment. This is the writer's fault. There's not much for him to lose by doing a job to Taker now. To the kids out there, even though he's old, he's still The Undertaker. And smart marks will stick with a wrestler as long as they keep delivering in-ring or on the mic. If we're going to speculate, Bray could have even asked to work w/ him knowing full well that UT would be going over to send the crowds home happy. As you mentioned, Vince is probably scared of having Taker look too weak going into this Wrestlemania. Again, that's not on Mark Calaway. That's on WWE creative.

I don't always agree with Russo, but wins/losses are not the issue here. The issue is the complete lack of focus/ambition with Bray's character for the past year+.

kiguel182

it's true, but I can name like 8 guys on the roster worse than cena in both categories.

which brings cena close to the top by default

the wonders of taking time off

I don't question his talent or anything but his character doesn't work for me. And he has been there for way too long winning and it just annoys me more than I enjoy watching it.

He has been having great matches this year for sure. But having great matches isn't the only thing I look for from people.

Once that rating falls down to a 1.x, panic mode is going to set in.

And really, it should. This is pro wrestling. You don't need a fucking horde of writers. It's PRO WRESTLING. Let one person who actually knows their shit to run the show. You have Paul Heyman and Dutch Mantell (Zeb), two of the smartest minds EVER in wrestling, doing absolutely nothing creatively. Shit, at this point I'd welcome Vince Russo back with open arms.

somedevil

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

5.12 18-49 rating and 14.256 million viewers.

Kaladin

To put things in perspective:

Impact Wrestling's highest ever viewership was 2.2 million for their Monday night debut.

Think about that for a second.

Once that rating falls down to a 1.x, panic mode is going to set in.

And really, it should. This is pro wrestling. You don't need a fucking horde of writers. It's PRO WRESTLING. Let one person who actually knows their shit to run the show. You have Paul Heyman and Dutch Mantell (Zeb), two of the smartest minds EVER in wrestling, doing absolutely nothing creatively. Shit, at this point I'd welcome Vince Russo back with open arms.

Me too. I mean is this really worse than David Arquette being WCW champion?

Alright, he took it a bit too far there, but I miss the days when RAW/Nitro were something to talk about. It seems like literally nothing happens week after week.

And enough trolling the live audiences by teasing actual title matches on the show only to quickly clarify that it will happen at the PPV! Enough!

klonere

Banned
I see the conversation rolled on a bit as I finished up at work. It's not Undertaker's job to put over everyone on the main roster. That would render what he did for Lesnar meaningless. And yes, Lesnar was over before that WM match, but not to the extent he is now, and he was coming off that big UFC loss. Lesnar was already way over, but he was not "The New Phenom" as he is now.

I can't speak about who Taker has put over in the last 10 years, because I mostly stopped watching from around 2002 to 2011 or so. But towards the end of the Attitude era, Taker was a jobber for the stars like Austin and Rock. They kept him moderately strong so they could feed him to those 2. I was there when he jobbed clean to Austin at Summerslam 98.

As for Bray, he's not a dominant heal. He's capable, yes, but he has not been booked super strong and his programs have been stale for well over a year at this point. As far as I'm concerned, he never rebounded from his loss to Cena. He has no direction at the moment. This is the writer's fault. There's not much for him to lose by doing a job to Taker now. To the kids out there, even though he's old, he's still The Undertaker. And smart marks will stick with a wrestler as long as they keep delivering in-ring or on the mic. If we're going to speculate, Bray could have even asked to work w/ him knowing full well that UT would be going over to send the crowds home happy. As you mentioned, Vince is probably scared of having Taker look too weak going into this Wrestlemania. Again, that's not on Mark Calaway. That's on WWE creative.

I don't always agree with Russo, but wins/losses are not the issue here. The issue is the complete lack of focus/ambition with Bray's character for the past year+.

I agree that the cool part of the Lesnar program was passing the torch to Brock as the new final boss but they didn't really play that up much.

As for Bray well....he had to feud with nothing for the Mania match which firmly established the "boring wandering confusing 20 minute Bray promo about nothing" because how do you build a feud against a fucking Titantron.? I dunno man, Bray is probably the most out there and unique character on the roster in this era of incredibly limited creative ambition - he needs big wins over big guys to feel like a real threat or a real star.

How many runs with the belt did Taker get? Taker got to destroy Dusty on his way in immediately then got the better of fucking Warrior and ended up beating HOGAN for the damn belt. They are terrified to commit to new people in any sort of big way in handing out those Ws so your replacement, full time on screen (Brock is part time and can't contribute to the show week to week) Undertaker is a fucking 500 club geek with a fancy gimmick.

To me, who started watching last year, Taker is a musty old man who murdered the credibility of his nearest modern counterpart twice (including a hilarious 2 v 4 burial of the Family on TV) took a dream match (Rollins vs Brock) away from me, got his win back from a shitty Mania match and then did the honors for a man who is untouchable in a feud that was hotshotted to Hell in a Cell. Fuck Taker.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Starting the first week of next year there will be primetime wrestling every weekday.

Monday: Monday Night RAW
Tuesday: TNA iMPACT Wrestling
Wednesday: Ring of Honor TV
Thursday: Smackdown
Friday: New Japan Pro Wrestling

Top Bottom