• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Traditionally the 3 main destinations for young lions on their learning excursions have been Europe, Mexico and the USA - Watanabe (who just returned as EVIL) took his to the US and Takahashi (Kamaitachi) started his in Europe before heading to Mexico for CMLL. Komatsu got to show a lot in the DDT match, while Tanaka also got a big opportunity by being entered in NOAH's jr. league this year - when a young lion starts getting more chances to shine it's usually an indicator that they're getting set to go on excursion. In truth, both Komatsu & Tanaka have been ready for some time, but there was no one to replace them at the dojo and take up their duties. Now there's David, Jay & Juice in the dojo and amateur wrestler Tomoyuki Oka about to join as well, so 2016 should see both Tanaka & Komatsu finally leaving on excursion. They usually last 2-3 years - EVIL's lasted 25 months, while Kamaitachi's been away for 30 months so far.

Ok so similar to what I thought it was. Watanabe was here in the States for quite awhile and I thought was starting to come into his own here. So with Komatsu and Tanaka gearing up for their excursions does that mean Kamataichi will be heading back to Japan as well? I've liked what I've seen this far of him in Mexico and would be interested in seeing him work some of the main NJPW guys.

Mahonay

Banned
How to instantly dislike two people:

BreakGro104_Ntwk_lp80s6hj_jju1vlir.jpg
I've been watching Breaking Ground with my girlfriend and this felt embarrassing to watch with her.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I listened to an episode of Keeping It 100 and it was a shitty waste of an hour or so.

Ok so similar to what I thought it was. Watanabe was here in the States for quite awhile and I thought was starting to come into his own here. So with Komatsu and Tanaka gearing up for their excursions does that mean Kamataichi will be heading back to Japan as well? I've liked what I've seen this far of him in Mexico and would be interested in seeing him work some of the main NJPW guys.

Its almost certain that Kamataichi will be back in Japan next year starting with FantasticaMania, though he may come back as Hiromu. Then one of the young lions will replace him in CMLL.

BFIB

WWE 2K16. It has been so long since I've played a WWE game, the controls are way, way different.

Going to take a while to learn it all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yet more NWA episodes popping up on the Network. The gift that keeps on giving. They're excellent shows, too.

Savitar

Mick is speaking out, even if the WWE won't be happy about it.

FINAL RAW FOR FOLEY?

WWE is at a real crossroads. Allow me to paraphrase Albert Einstein, who said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results". Wrestling historians can argue about when the ‪#‎AttitudeEra‬ in wrestling officially began. But for me, it will always be at a meeting called by Mr McMahon in the Spring of 1997, where he admitted that what had worked for them for so long in the past (I interpreted that to mean one-dimensional characters that tended to be job-related) was no longer working, and that if they were going to survive, the wrestlers themselves were going to have to step up, and help create those dimensions that would establish the emotional bond between the wrestlers and the fans - part of the lifeblood of professional wrestling.

Today's WWE Superstars (I'm including the women here, since the term "Diva" had its time, and that time is done) are at a distinct disadvantage in some ways. They can't flip birds, and use the colorful language. They can't bleed - even when the situation seems ripe for it. Man, Roman Reigns's life would be so much easier if he could survive vicious assaults the way guys in my era did. But all the blood, the language and the violence paled in comparison to the real secret weapon of the Attitude Era; the FREEDOM TO CREATE...THE FREEDOM TO TRY...THE FREEDOM TO FAIL - the idea that going down swinging (I hope I'm not losing you guys in all the non-baseball playing countries) was almost as important as hitting the ball out of the park - as long as you took your best swings. There's a difference between playing to win, and playing not to lose: one breeds confidence, the other breeds fear.It's the difference between cutting the type of promos Stone Cold Steve Austin and Dwayne The Rock Johnson gave, and the cookie-cutter approach all too often employed these days by WWE creative. One style allowed for creativity and emotion. The other calls for memorization and recitation.

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking on WWE. There is a big part of me that loves this company, and always will. Why else would I be up at 4:15 am, writing things that are likely to banish me deeper and deeper into the WWE doghouse? One of my favorite wrestlers proposed a storyline that would allow me a four of five week storyline that would allow me to dig in deep, and swing for the fences - and in the process, maybe advance a few of the super-talented but underutilized athletes on the roster. I would love to do it....but I doubt it's going to happen. After all, I might want to do something crazy like go out there without a script, and try to create some real emotion - in other words, the type of thing that saved WWE in the late 90's.

The talent pool has never been deeper. But the creative flow is stagnant...and it's been stinking for a while. I quoted Einstein to begin this thing. Let me conclude with the immortal words of Owen Heart: "Enough's enough: it's time for a change!"

We won't see Noel with Santa this year pimping WWE merchandise will we.

Dion314

Neo Member
Yet more NWA episodes popping up on the Network. The gift that keeps on giving. They're excellent shows, too.

Stuff like this makes the network worth it. The NWA was before my time so it's cool to be able to see guys I had mostly only heard about (Magnum TA, Tully Blanchard etc). and to see Flair cut some of the best promos of his career

Mahonay

Banned
lol, I don't know who cares if Mick Foley moves on. I told him last year he should watch Lucha Underground but he's committed to that carny life and getting his own fans to do what he does
Well there's the part where he had his absolute highest point of wrestling success in the WWE. The whole thing reads as someone just really depressed about seeing the thing he once loved become so completely shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Stuff like this makes the network worth it. The NWA was before my time so it's cool to be able to see guys I had mostly only heard about (Magnum TA, Tully Blanchard etc). and to see Flair cut some of the best promos of his career

Totally. Things like this are so worth it. Getting it in an easy to view format, and in the best possible quality? It's an easy $10 a month, easy. On top of that I enjoy their original programming, so that helps. And I'll watch every PPV since it's a good value to include. There's nothing to complain about from my perspective - the Network suits my needs.

Well there's the part where he had his absolute highest point of wrestling success in the WWE. The whole thing reads as someone just really depressed about seeing the thing he once loved become so completely shit.

"Do something different or I'll pull my daughter from your advertising!" It must be the next blog post.

jmdajr

Pretty happy with my Xbox One. I got the 1tb package with Tomb Raider and the free controller. Fantastic game. So much to do. Also played a bit of Killer Instinct. Good nostalgia trip.

I bought a used Kinect camera and the voice controls are pretty amazing. I went back and forth from Tomb Raider to the Football games pretty seamlessly. The snapped in NFL mobil app was great to keep up with my fantasy scores. I was also surprised how quiet this thing was compared to the PS4.

I actually connected the xbox 360 into the hdmi in on the xbox one. For what? Media center!

Anyhow it's all pretty neat. Game wise it will just be for exclusives but I think this will be my media hub from now on.

How scripted is Lucha Underground from a promo standpoint, considering it's a tv show first and a wrestling program second? I remember hearing that Pentagon Jr is allowed to do whatever he wants but not anyone else.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty happy with my Xbox One. I got the 1tb package with Tomb Raider and the free controller. Fantastic game. So much to do. Also played a bit of Killer Instinct. Good nostalgia trip.

I bought a used Kinect camera and the voice controls are pretty amazing. I went back and forth from Tomb Raider to the Football games pretty seamlessly. The snapped in NFL mobil app was great to keep up with my fantasy scores. I was also surprised how quiet this thing was compared to the PS4.

I actually connected the xbox 360 into the hdmi in on the xbox one. For what? Media center!

Anyhow it's all pretty neat. Game was it will just be for exclusives but I think this will be my media hub from now on.

It's fun. Rise of the TR is ridiculously good. KI is dope.

How scripted is Lucha Underground from a promo standpoint, considering it's a tv show first and a wrestling program second? I remember hearing that Pentagon Jr is allowed to do whatever he wants but not anyone else.

Good question. Tough to say. If you're working within the confines of your character, and it doesn't affect the story, I don't see why not. Others have a lot more heavy storylines involving actual words. Pentagon Jr, not so much. Hard to say.

Mahonay

Banned

Anyhow it's all pretty neat. Game wise it will just be for exclusives but I think this will be my media hub from now on.
My launch PS4 is so god damn loud when the fans get going now. Although I do like the form factor and size far more than the X1.

Sephzilla

My launch PS4 is so god damn loud when the fans get going now. Although I do like the form factor and size far more than the X1.

Luckily my launch PS4 is still quiet as a church mouse. I agree regarding the form factor stuff. I really like the PS4's smaller sleeker look compared to the Xbox One's VCR-tier size (not that I don't like the look of the XB1). To be honest all three of the current generation systems are decently appealing cosmetically.

jmdajr

I hate that ps4 has no usb hubs in the back.

Edit: Oh another thing I like about Xbox One. It turns off my Tv and receiver.

Mahonay

Banned
Luckily my launch PS4 is still quiet as a church mouse. I agree regarding the form factor stuff. I really like the PS4's smaller sleeker look compared to the Xbox One's VCR-tier size (not that I don't like the look of the XB1). To be honest all three of the current generation systems are decently appealing cosmetically.
My last apartment's horrible set up was such that the only place for the PS4 was the floor. I think that fucked the fans for good until I decide to get in there at some point.

Kaladin

Brock Lesnar's Suplex City shirts are down to $5.99. For that, I thought what the hell and snagged an Atlanta one. I think it was $14 with shipping.

It's scripted but they allow talent to improvise
Recommend the Austin podcast with the exec producer Eric van wagnen

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only LAW shows you should listen to are Review-A-Raw and Review-A-Wai and even then you stop before they read the listener reviews.

Yup. And SOMETIMES the LAW itself after a PPV. Stop after Meltzer. Probably skip to Meltzer. Mouth and Agnew are tough to listen to sometimes. I really like Agnew but he feels like someone who feels how he feels depending on how the internet felt.

Hex

Banned
Brock Lesnar's Suplex City shirts are down to $5.99. For that, I thought what the hell and snagged an Atlanta one. I think it was $14 with shipping.

That's nice and all but try to find a Pentagod shirt anywhere and you are sol.
Been trying all week.

Recall

So I binged and listened to all 50 podcast episodes of New Generation Project in about 2 weeks. Throughly enjoy the style from the play by play of the matches to the tales of the hosts (though the cricket talk ain't for I) They are just a likeable trio that I can listen to for hours on end and enjoy their opinions/views, they are open to the shows to impress them and give everything a chance.

klonere

Banned
Agnew is straight garbage. His own show on NXT is easily the worst wrestling related podcast out there. The recent LAWs with Pollock filling in are the only ones I've listened to.

I decided to try out that special deal on the Observer and have found Brian and Vinny to be quite entertaining. Getting through all the recent obituaries in the Observer itself has been pretty illuminating if slightly morbid. A great education on a lot of stuff I missed.

I'm looking to give The Lapsed Fan a try with one of these episodes. Any of them particularly worthwhile?

62 - Halloween Havoc 1997
61 - One Night Stand 2006
48 - Canadian Stampede
47 - Royal Rumble 1992
43 - WrestleMania 31
42 and 41 - WrestleMania 30

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like mouth. Him and Pollock are great.

Him and Ask are a good pair too

When Mouth is on Review-A-Wai for a classic show, I love him there. He was there for a lot of them and really loved that era.

Kaladin

I still remember when there were very few wrestling podcasts and I wished there were more.

Now, I just wish there were less and not as much stuff to wade through to find the good stuff.

Just came here to post that :p

Roderick Strong vs Zack Sabre Jr from Evolve is free on YouTube, but today only, cause that's how Gabe rolls...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmtJ_tIeeQU&feature=youtu.be

Looking at their sale though... anyone keep up with SHINE? I hear Ivelisse was doing good over there, any shows worth grabbing while they're cheap?

Everyone should watch this match, one of my favorites of the year.

The finish is magical.

DMczaf

I'm looking to give The Lapsed Fan a try with one of these episodes. Any of them particularly worthwhile?

62 - Halloween Havoc 1997
61 - One Night Stand 2006
48 - Canadian Stampede
47 - Royal Rumble 1992
43 - WrestleMania 31
42 and 41 - WrestleMania 30

Rumble 92!

Just came here to post that :p

Roderick Strong vs Zack Sabre Jr from Evolve is free on YouTube, but today only, cause that's how Gabe rolls...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmtJ_tIeeQU&feature=youtu.be

Looking at their sale though... anyone keep up with SHINE? I hear Ivelisse was doing good over there, any shows worth grabbing while they're cheap?

Shine 30 had a very good Madison Eagles vs. Su Yung match. Allysin Kay and Saraya Knight also had a Falls Count Anywhere Anything Goes match, which is a different look for women's wrestling.

Shine 29 had an Athena match on it, in case you've never seen her in action.

Top Bottom