• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

miserable

These NWA shows are so good. Lots of long wrestling matches a lot of people wouldn't like. Schiavone is doing commentary solo. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, separately, are over as fuck and people love them, but Schiavone pretends they're not getting chants.

Really great shows, hot crowds, and some of the finest promos came from that time. I can't recommend it enough. Watched the unveiling of the first Crockett Cup seeds for the teams and the venue, and it felt like a huge deal. Lots of dream teams in it, too:

Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard
Giant Baba and Tiger Mask
The Barbarian and Baron Von Raschke
The Batten Twins (Bart and Brad)
Black Bart and Jimmy Garvin
Dino Bravo and Rick Martel
Bill Dundee and Buddy Landel
The Fabulous Ones (Steve Keirn and Stan Lane)
The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers)
Manny Fernandez and Jimmy Valiant
Ronnie Garvin and Magnum T.A.
Chavo and Hector Guerrero

Sam Houston and Nelson Royal
The Italian Stallion and Koko Ware
Bobby Jaggers and Mike Miller
Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood
The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey and Bobby Eaton)
D.J. Peterson and Brett Wayne
The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk)
The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton)
The Russian Team (Ivan and Nikita Koloff)
Buzz Sawyer and Rick Steiner
The Sheepherders (Butch Miller and Luke Williams)
Terry Taylor and Steve Williams

All in all, I love this content. The promos are the best thing. People in their prime, doing their thing, with whatever character they wanted to be. Loving it.

i'll have to watch this, might as well get my money's worth after they billed me for a supposedly free month

Zach

Oh, and guys, I've been meaning to post that I finally caught up on NXT and I really enjoyed the Bayley/"Corporate" business. It was easily the most enjoyable thing Eva Marie has done ever. It's about the best thing they could've done with her. And get this: I would've been into it if she had won. :O

But then, of course, Willie Regal would make his glorious return and be like "WHAT THE F IS THIS?" and good-guyed Bayley into a rematch at Takeover or whatevz, and then BAM! Bayley's champ again.

All of that being said, since they didn't go that route, I'm fearful that they've missed the boat on the only decent thing Eva Marie could've done. But I guess we shall see.

Also, my goodness, Cornette is at his top of his game here too. He's incredibly witty, fast talking, and quite the son of a bitch. I love it. He's perfect with the Midnight Express. He puts over every team they face SO huge.

Cornette was so good, he dropped my jaw on the first episode they have available.Its so easy to forget how good he was, but he never stutters, and he gets so much out of his mouth in such a short time. Its crazy.

Menome

Are we getting a GWF tonight? If so, is it my time yet to put Frecklestein through a table?

Preferably in under two hours.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What is this new NWA content, dudes? The new "World Championship Wrestling" section I saw the other day?

Probably. Over 60 episodes of the old NWA TV show, World Championship Wrestling. It's fucking great. You'll love it. They keep adding more, too - and there's no gaps in the chronology, either, which is my favorite thing.

Are we getting a GWF tonight? If so, is it my time yet to put Frecklestein through a table?

Preferably in under two hours.

LOL 2 hours? I'll still be at work, friend.

There will be GWF tonight. New debuts.

I totally want to really put my head down and do the 1000 Matches in 2016 challenge this upcoming year. I dropped the ball HARD this year, was a couple hundred in and then moving and shit got my shit all fucked up and I lost my love for wrestling. For like, a couple months.

1000 matches in a year is tough, especially with all of the other stuff going on in life.

You could mix in a bunch of classic squash matches with matches from lists like Alan 4L's list of the MOTYC from 2007 to 2015 or do deep dives into wrestling history by focusing on a style (lucha, UWFi worked shoot, Strong Style, King's Road, shitty North American indy deathmatch), but 1000 matches sounds impossible.

The idea of Sunny watching nothing but New Japan opening multi-man tags for a year sounds equally delightful and depressing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1000 matches in a year is tough, especially with all of the other stuff going on in life.

You could mix in a bunch of classic squash matches with matches from lists like Alan 4L's list of the MOTYC from 2007 to 2015 or do deep dives into wrestling history by focusing on a style (lucha, UWFi worked shoot, Strong Style, King's Road, shitty North American indy deathmatch), but 1000 matches sounds impossible.

Around three a day. One PPV night ensures around 6-8 matches, easily. Plus you can always take an off week and watch some old WWF Superstars squashes.

No matter how you cut it though that's a LOT of matches. It's hard to find time and log it properly.

Magnum TA was something special. Really love the 6:05 stuff on the network

Yeah, every time he talks you can see that he's going to be an incredible superstar. Always wonder how things would have gone with him had the accident not happened. Showed a crazy amount of promise. Doing barn burners for an hour with Tully.

Zach

Probably. Over 60 episodes of the old NWA TV show, World Championship Wrestling. It's fucking great. You'll love it. They keep adding more, too - and there's no gaps in the chronology, either, which is my favorite thing.

LOL 2 hours? I'll still be at work, friend.

There will be GWF tonight. New debuts.

Well, I may need to dabble after I wrap up 1997 in the coming weeks.

And I better be booked tonight, crackerjack.

miserable

hashi1jxp92.gif

can't tell if Kawada is sad, pissed off or just not impressed

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's why it's a challenge. 1000 matches is no joke!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bret. The Rock also didn't like Shawn.

Vader, Demolition, Steiners (who probably will never get in because they dislike Triple H), Earthquake, Lex Luger, and Bam Bam also not in. Only Bam Bam and Earthquake are deceased of those guys. Can throw in British Bulldog, too.

There's a billion dudes not in the HOF and WWE inducts like 10 guys a year. Everyone you remember will eventually get in unless they have a sex tape or they're alive and can't be trusted to not pop off.

Sephzilla

What the Network really needs is some kind of chronological order playlist so I can go straight from Raw to the next episode of Smackdown to the PPV

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys think WWE creative have a plan (whether good or bad) or are they winging it at the moment?

Certainly. They're having to write around a SHITLOAD of injuries, but there's always a plan. Regardless of what internet smarks say, they're still making the best of a bad situation.

jmdajr

Do you guys think WWE creative have a plan (whether good or bad) or are they winging it at the moment?

Anxious to see how RAW goes tonight but my feeling tells me it will be a new low for the program.

I said earlier, WWE.COM is hyping nothing. Just waiting for Football season to end.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Anxious to see how RAW goes tonight but my feeling tells me it will be a new low for the program.

I'm pretty sure they have a rough idea of what they want to do at WrestleMania and no matter what Meltzer says, I don't think they're going to have Reigns go over if he's still on track to get booed by 100,000 people.

Legit think they should try Cena v. Reigns. Would be hilarious to see them try and execute it without anyone turning. The only downside is the possibility of full-on fan revolt, even if I'd totally dig it.

Shaemus being world champion says otherwise

Sheamus is world champion because they had to make some shit up when Kane killed the actual champ

Oh, and guys, I've been meaning to post that I finally caught up on NXT and I really enjoyed the Bayley/"Corporate" business. It was easily the most enjoyable thing Eva Marie has done ever. It's about the best thing they could've done with her. And get this: I would've been into it if she had won. :O

But then, of course, Willie Regal would make his glorious return and be like "WHAT THE F IS THIS?" and good-guyed Bayley into a rematch at Takeover or whatevz, and then BAM! Bayley's champ again.

All of that being said, since they didn't go that route, I'm fearful that they've missed the boat on the only decent thing Eva Marie could've done. But I guess we shall see.

Only problem is you've then got to do the straight up Eva Marie wrestling match all the shenanigans were to avoid.

In front of a smarky Takeover crowd.

IN LONDON

jmdajr

I think they had no choice here 'zella. They had to get that mitb case out of the way. It was bad enough they had to suspend believability by not having dude run out to cash in while in Ireland earlier this month lol

of course, they could have had sheamus cash in...and fail.

Being Sandowed is always an option.

But folks be mad anyway. They don't like poor Reigns, chasing or defending.

Seems only thing people wanted was Reigns winning going Heel, and going all in on face Ambrose.

imBask

Banned
imbask, you're head of creative.

who takes the heavyweight gold? the ic?

what are two or three programs you would put together?

or better yet, what unfolds at wrestlemania?

I shut everything down because there's nothing that can save us from the dumb TV deals/PG deal

but i'm not a WWE creative, I don't get paid to come up with ideas and i'm not a writer. They get paid to write a good show with what they have and they can't do it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Only problem is you've then got to do the straight up Eva Marie wrestling match all the shenanigans were to avoid.

IN LONDON

Oh, that London crowd is so tough to win over, too. I wonder if Eva Marie has a chance.
JyMgXQy.gif

Zach

IN LONDON

I'm sure they could've cooked up similar shenanigans but this time with Regal involving himself on Bayley's behalf. Surely that would've been over huge.

IN LONDON.

Right? :)

Sephzilla

imbask, you're head of creative.

who takes the heavyweight gold? the ic?

what are two or three programs you would put together?

or better yet, what unfolds at wrestlemania?

I'm going to answer this even though i'm not imbask.

Roman would be World Champ right now. He would have turned heel and went Authority/Corporate at Survivor Series and his gimmick would have been the whole "I'm here to get paid and do what I'm told" ego maniac who's also pissed at fans for booing him. His first title defense and storyline would be against Ambrose, who's pissed off that another one of his Shield brothers betrayed him. This program only lasts a month and goes until TLC, ends with Roman defeating Ambrose.

Roman's next program after that is against a returning John Cena, who's angry that Roman betrayed his fans and what he stood for. This program lasts until Royal Rumble or Extreme Rules with Roman defeating Cena (dirty, of course).

Brock Lesnar wins the Royal Rumble decisively, setting up mega over face Brock Lesnar vs everyone-fucking-hates him Roman Reigns for the title at WrestleMania.

klonere

Banned
Also, my goodness, Cornette is at his top of his game here too. He's incredibly witty, fast talking, and quite the son of a bitch. I love it. He's perfect with the Midnight Express. He puts over every team they face SO huge.

Cornette is so fast and never seems to struggle to keep a conversation going. His commentary with Shane for that brief period was awe-inspiring if not exactly the most listenable. Wish the dude was allowed come back and do a bit here and there he could really be used to shine up some of the less confident guys on the mic. Can you imagine a heel Ryback managed by Cornette? Holy shit.

Certainly. They're having to write around a SHITLOAD of injuries, but there's always a plan. Regardless of what internet smarks say, they're still making the best of a bad situation.

Do you honestly think this is the best effort they can put together with the roster they have lol

I think you're buying into your gimmick a bit too much sunny

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cornette is so fast and never seems to struggle to keep a conversation going. His commentary with Shane for that brief period was awe-inspiring if not exactly the most listenable. Wish the dude was allowed come back and do a bit here and there he could really be used to shine up some of the less confident guys on the mic. Can you imagine a heel Ryback managed by Cornette? Holy shit.

Be still, my heart. Ryback with Corny as his mouthpiece would be awesome.

He NEVER gets flustered. Goes a million miles per minute and never trips over his words. It's really awesome.

imBask

Banned

Roman would be World Champ right now. He would have turned heel and went Authority/Corporate at Survivor Series and his gimmick would have been the whole "I'm here to get paid and do what I'm told" ego maniac who's also pissed at fans for booing him. His first title defense and storyline would be against Ambrose, who's pissed off that another one of his Shield brothers betrayed him. This program only lasts a month and goes until TLC, ends with Roman defeating Ambrose.

Roman's next program after that is against a returning John Cena, who's angry that Roman betrayed his fans and what he stood for. This program lasts until Royal Rumble or Extreme Rules with Roman defeating Cena (dirty, of course).

Brock Lesnar wins the Royal Rumble decisively, setting up mega over face Brock Lesnar vs everyone-fucking-hates him Roman Reigns for the title at WrestleMania.

I would watch RAW if that was the current situation, it might not be THE BEST but it's better than what we have

i'm considering watching football tonight, and I hate football. I'll probably play Life is Strange or something though

Mizerman

Being Sandowed is always an option.

But folks be mad anyway. They don't like poor Reigns, chasing or defending.

Seems only thing people wanted was Reigns winning going Heel, and going all in on face Ambrose.

A little over-dramatic, don't you think?

An improvement, if nothing else.

klonere

Banned
I know we like to talk about how certain NXT acts will die on the main roster (Breeze, Ascension, Vaudevillians, Mechanics) but Eva is the ultimate example of it I think. Nothing she has done in NXT can transfer over to the main roster. There is no Bayley, there is no real women's division for her to come in and threaten to be involved in on an ongoing basis. There is no corporate angle to push: corporate is the acknowledged babyface head of the entire women's division right now.

She's just another pretty face on the main roster, will get absolutely zero heat and as much as Charlotte has been shown not being able to adapt to a weekly live TV product in ring, Eva would be hilariously doomed.

Anth0ny

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Good work.

It's not that hard. Heel Roman is the right thing to do from a storytelling perspective. For whatever reason, they are totally opposed to giving him a heel run. He must be Cena 2.0 and he must be Cena 2.0 right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you turn Roman heel, who is your big babyface that has strong merchandise sales that you back?

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm neither mad nor disappointed. I'm completely disinterested.

I don't even want to watch Raw when people say it was good. I don't even care enough to spend half a minute to read the results. It's all just mweh.

Top Bottom