• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Breaking Ground is so so good. It could easily be great shoulder programming on cable but as a network exclusive it works as well. Happy to see
my boy Sabby stay in

The only troublesome part of the whole premise is that everyone is fighting to get to the main roster and I don't want any of them to do that :(

The big problem is that it feels like this is being made to promote the two who I've felt since day 1 are Vince's two top stars, Baron Corbin and Dana Brooke. Baron got a lot of the focus in the first episode and Dana now. I figure this might be to familiarize people who don't watch NXT (Which, as much as we don't want to admit it, is a minority in the WWE Universe) with them so that when they do show up on the main roster, they are instantly seen as megastars.

Two other things I noticed.

1. Sara Amato calling Bayley "Pammy" when she was training. For a show trying desperately to keep kayfabe names, that was a big flub.

2. Sami's speech about his indy career was badly butchered in editing and it showed. They didn't have to say the name "El Generico", but I think it would be really interesting to hear how he was an independent wrestling legend under that name, and then WWE came along and took away his character almost entirely.

So I've been lurking here for a few months and thought I would say hi. I'm still a new fan when it comes to wrestling. I was watching the Royal Rumble this year with a friend planing on making fun of it and I ended up unironically loving the Lesner/Rollins/Cena match, and I've been hooked ever since. I started watching NXT around March, and now I just watch NXT every Wednesday, and the main roster PPVs every month. I'll sometimes watch RAW if I happen to be at home that Monday, but I haven't been enjoying raw too much as of late

Anyway, so I just recently finished watching every episode of NXT since they moved to Full Sail, and I'm trying to watch every Wrestlemania to get a good handle on some of the history of the WWE, but I think I might take a break from that. So my question is, is there anything else I should check out, like another wrestling promotion or anything from a specific era of the WWE?

We discussed it earlier in the thread, but Heyman's tenure as the SmackDown head writer, commonly referred to as the SmackDown Six era, starts July 8, 2002 and goes to February 27, 2003. That's a solid load of SmackDowns and a bunch of good PPVs.

Ithil

Nonfictional buttocks, at best.

The big problem is that it feels like this is being made to promote the two who I've felt since day 1 are Vince's two top stars, Baron Corbin and Dana Brooke. Baron got a lot of the focus in the first episode and Dana now. I figure this might be to familiarize people who don't watch NXT (Which, as much as we don't want to admit it, is a minority in the WWE Universe) with them so that when they do show up on the main roster, they are instantly seen as megastars.

1. Sara Amato calling Bayley "Pammy" when she was training. For a show trying desperately to keep kayfabe names, that was a big flub.

2. Sami's speech about his indy career was badly butchered in editing and it showed. They didn't have to say the name "El Generico", but I think it would be really interesting to hear how he was an independent wrestling legend under that name, and then WWE came along and took away his character almost entirely.
I doubt Vince even knows who Dana Brooke is.

Breaking Ground is so so good. It could easily be great shoulder programming on cable but as a network exclusive it works as well. Happy to see
my boy Sabby stay in

The only troublesome part of the whole premise is that everyone is fighting to get to the main roster and I don't want any of them to do that :(

STEP FORWARD WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT.

This glorious motherfucker is the GOAT promter

inoki-1431186780.jpg

klonere

Banned

Dana Brooke is great and I have zero problems with her being a focus of one or more episodes. Corbin I am still pretty eh on.

ZZ however should just get the fuck out now. What a waste of a spot.

STEP FORWARD WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT.

I find it funny that half the major coaching staff is British. Regal is so fucking good though.

I could barely get through those rookie promos though, I am so bad when it comes to being embarrassed for people on TV heh.

kiguel182

Breaking Ground is probably the best show WWE has right now, really good stuff.

Also, against my better judgment I watched like half Raw today. It was okay, will probably finished it. I guess I'm back on the weekly rotation, at least until it gets really bad again. No six man matches so far which is a plus, some nice variety.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all will probably do the usual "That's terrible, poor guy" for this photo but Bobby Heenan is as sharp as ever, people say. Love that man.

12066058_10207860914143809_8770890065656994616_n.jpg

I need to read more about the time period, but Sam Muchnick was the first name other than Vince Jr. that came to mind about greatest promoter. President of the NWA when it meant something despite all the territories that felt like they were powerful to go on their own has to mean something.

shanafan

What if Vince came back as a total face and started doing commentary again? Watching some old Gorilla Monsoon clips, and Vince was always great calling the action.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What if Vince came back as a total face and started doing commentary again? Watching some old Gorilla Monsoon clips, and Vince was always great calling the action.

Vince is wonderful on commentary, because he would do anything to sell the action. A carnival barker through and through.

thefro

Anyway, so I just recently finished watching every episode of NXT since they moved to Full Sail, and I'm trying to watch every Wrestlemania to get a good handle on some of the history of the WWE, but I think I might take a break from that. So my question is, is there anything else I should check out, like another wrestling promotion or anything from a specific era of the WWE?

Flair/Steamboat feud (3 matches) from 1989 NWA (I think there's a documentary on WWE network about it but not sure how much of the matches they show on that.)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But I am interested in that carny shit Vince

Definitely get to reading a bunch of books about the business then - Boots posted a good list of his Fave Five Readins the other day and a lot of those discuss how promoters work and how particular ones worked.

I need to read more about the time period, but Sam Muchnick was the first name other than Vince Jr. that came to mind about greatest promoter. President of the NWA when it meant something despite all the territories that felt like they were powerful to go on their own has to mean something.

He also made St. Louis one of the premier destinations for touring talent, much like Paul Boesch in Houston. They both managed to keep their towns running hot for decades, which was no small feat.

I've also got a soft spot for Don Owen out of Portland - it wasn't really a major city in later years and didn't see the big stars come through too often, but was a great hotbed for young talent and the TV product had a great DIY feel to it and some really hot crowds.

Jerry Jarrett deserves a lot of,credit for keeping Memphis alive for do long

Prime Dutch man tell as well

He was also Vince's hand picked sucessor if he went to jail for the steroid trial

Definitely get to reading a bunch of books about the business then - Boots posted a good list of his Fave Five Readins the other day and a lot of those discuss how promoters work and how particular ones worked.

Will do. You know, our OTs should include our more quality posts from our members. Bootaay's book list, links to matches from the last month that our members post, stuff like that.

He also made St. Louis one of the premier destinations for touring talent, much like Paul Boesch in Houston. They both managed to keep their towns running hot for decades, which was no small feat.

I've also got a soft spot for Don Owen out of Portland - it wasn't really a major city in later years and didn't see the big stars come through too often, but was a great hotbed for young talent and the TV product had a great DIY feel to it and some really hot crowds.

Hawaii is the other territory I would love to read more about since, as the midway point between the U.S. and Japan, it would get tons of great wrestlers working there. James Blears seems like the most successful promoter to have worked in Hawaii during that territory's boom in the 1960s.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

What timeframe was Owen in Portland? 75-83 or something like that?

Hawaii is the other territory I would love to read more about since, as the midway point between the U.S. and Japan, it would get tons of great wrestlers working there. James Blears seems like the most successful promoter to have worked in Hawaii during that territory's boom in the 1960s.

Same that and polynesian pro sound amazing because all the guys who did tours in Japan would stop by on their way home.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Same that and polynesian pro sound amazing because all the guys who did tours in Japan would stop by on their way home.

For sure. I'd love to learn and see more of Polynesian Pro because FUCK, I bet there were some good local hosses with some dope talent moving through.

...what if they connect the Wyatts to Anonymous's supposed leak of KKK members because wrestling desperately craves relevance?

Between this and Mr. Robot, this is the time for Solomon Crowe to bring back the hacker gimmick.

klonere

Banned
...what if they connect the Wyatts to Anonymous's supposed leak of KKK members because wrestling desperately craves relevance?

Between this and Mr. Robot, this is the time for Solomon Crowe to bring back the hacker gimmick.

More likely that they say Stroman was hiding in Orton's bins and caused the injury

What timeframe was Owen in Portland? 75-83 or something like that?

Don inherited the promotion from his father in the early 40's and was running it right up until 1992 - he was a founding member of the NWA and Portland was a really big destination at one time, but although they were on TV since the 1950's very little footage remains. Most of what's left is from a few remaining master tapes or VHS copies Buddy Rose personally recorded himself. Anything you can find from about 75-85 is golden - the TV show never quite felt the same after the host & commentator Frank Bonnema died in 82 and, while the product was still enjoyable for a couple of years after that, they struggled for talent as WWF and WCW expanded.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don inherited the promotion from his father in the early 40's and was running it right up until 1992 - he was a founding member of the NWA and Portland was a really big destination at one time, but although they were on TV since the 1950's very little footage remains. Most of what's left is from a few remaining master tapes or VHS copies Buddy Rose personally recorded himself. Anything you can find from about 75-85 is golden - the TV show never quite felt the same after the host & commentator Frank Bonnema died in 82 and, while the product was still enjoyable for a couple of years after that, they struggled for talent as WWF and WCW expanded.

Also good to know. Thanks. I love the internet - so much of this would be lost to the wind at this point but some of it is still accessible.

The last two raw haven't totally sucked, fingers crossed they keep it up for the UK next week.
Last years Raw in Liverpool was possibly the worst I've ever seen.

The Shingo Takagi vs. Masaaki Mochizuki match from Gate of Destiny has my Fave Five for the year shook, friends.

Yeah, that was a really well done match - most of that's on Mochizuki though. Don't get me wrong, Shingo did a great job and I loved his strategy of avoiding the Sankakugeri corner kick (and then eventually having a counter for it when Mochi did hit the move), but it was all about Mochizuki's crazy performance. The crowd were wild as hell for all the false finishes and Shingo had to demolish him to get the job done. Easily the best DG singles match of the year and I'll probably end up having it in my fave five when all's said and done.

Top Bottom