• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Zach

People unironically like Jingle All the Way? That movie is certified next level bonkers. In a bad way. Terrible trash.

Watched it for the first time in years last year with my son and lady friend (they had never seen it). We all enjoyed it. It's super cheesy. Genuine laughs were had. :D

Think of us poor Europeans who can't be up that late :(

Yeah, Vince, think of us Europeans... >_>

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
#TeamDieHardIsAChristmasMovie

Sunny, this seems right up your alley for OT threads

Not intending to cause too much offense, but it's the exact kind of played out argument you tend to latch onto. Not a conversation worth having on GAF, and I'm sure it's been done to death before.

giphy.gif

Batman Returns is fun because of how fucking bizarre it gets for a major comic book movie
Burton did an amazing job with it. It was a great sequel imo. Too bad Forever feel very short of it. But Forever was my first Batman movie of memory.

Tradition's fine, Hootie Hoo.

People unironically like Jingle All the Way? That movie is certified next level bonkers. In a bad way. Terrible trash.
It was one of my favourites as a kid, yeah it's cheesy but it is enjoyable. Just like Batman and Robib was a favourite of mine as a kid, horribly flawed movie but still one of my favourites.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's late and I'm tired, but isn't one or both of the Gremlins films set at Christmas?

At least the first one. What I like about it is that small town feel during Christmas that I was able to grow up in. That's what my childhood was like. Without the monsters.

Sephzilla

Not intending to cause too much offense, but it's the exact kind of played out argument you tend to latch onto. Not a conversation worth having on GAF, and I'm sure it's been done to death before.

You just don't want to be proven wrong
again
(I love you sunny)

It's late and I'm tired, but isn't one or both of the Gremlins films set at Christmas?

Fuck! I forgot about Gremlins!

At least the first one. What I like about it is that small town feel during Christmas that I was able to grow up in. That's what my childhood was like. Without the monsters.

Yep. 100% agreed. As someone who grew up (and still lives in) a decently small midwestern town I can second that Gremlins really nails that feel.

Burton did an amazing job with it. It was a great sequel imo. Too bad Forever feel very short of it. But Forever was my first Batman movie of memory.

I honestly think Returns gets almost too Tim Burton-y in spots and I'm not entirely a fan of how Batman is basically the 4th most important character in the story, but I still love it anyway despite its flaws. Both of the Burton movies just gush atmosphere that all of the other Batman movies (besides Begins) lack

My man.

Forever gets some shit, but I really do like it (and the soundtrack, but that's another conversation).

And I should add Batman Returns to the Christmas rotation.

Menome

Best Films That Aren't Christmas Films But Also Are:

-Die Hard
-Batman Returns
-Home Alone
-Edward Scissorhands
-Gremlins

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batman and then Batman Returns were so drab and I was so tired of Burton's Gotham that Batman Forever was awesome to see a huge shift to FnP. Like, Batman Returns and Batman are fine. After two movies I was tired though. Forever was so good on every level, it was just what Batman needed for the 90s. And that SOUNDTRACK.

Sephzilla

So anyone have any good wrestling to recommend I watch tonight as I continue unpacking shit for my new apartment?

I watched this properly for the first time in years just the other month.
HrdLW.gif

.... a literal Penguin army? what the shit was I watching?!

One thing I picked up on with rewatches of Batman Returns was that Penguin starts off the movie with a really elaborate plan to take over Gotham and then each new plan he comes up with becomes progressively more halfassed until we reach a literal rocket penguin army. I actually find that aspect of the movie hilarious because Batman shuts down at least 3 or 4 Penguin schemes during the movie, and Penguin gets more frustrated and just throws together new plots that are less and less thought out.

Batman and then Batman Returns were so drab and I was so tired of Burton's Gotham that Batman Forever was awesome to see a huge shift to FnP. Like, Batman Returns and Batman are fine. After two movies I was tired though. Forever was so good on every level, it was just what Batman needed for the 90s. And that SOUNDTRACK.

I'm not a fan of the Schumacher movies but I do agree with you here. They needed to shift away from the Burton style a bit.

But DID YOU KNOW - Batman & Robin of all fucking movies is the only live-action Batman movie where Batman actually abides by the no-kill rule

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Video game christmases though? My favorite, bar none, is Shenmue. LOVED it when you hit Xmastime. Second to that is any Animal Crossing game. A lot of perverted jrpghg weenies will say Persona 4 because they love Christmas done JAPANEESY STYLE but they're dumb.

I honestly think Returns gets almost too Tim Burton-y in spots and I'm not entirely a fan of how Batman is basically the 4th most important character in the story, but I still love it anyway despite its flaws. Both of the Burton movies just gush atmosphere that all of the other Batman movies (besides Begins) lack
75% of Batman movies involves making the atmosphere Batmany lol. I can watch those 90s Batman movies all the time. The Nolan films, are up there with The Godfather trilogy for me but I have to take a break watching them.I like that they blur the line between comic and reality but my childhood comes out when the cheesy Batman movies are shown lol.

My man.

Forever gets some shit, but I really do like it (and the soundtrack, but that's another conversation).

And I should add Batman Returns to the Christmas rotation.
The soundtrack ruled then you got the soundtrack to Batman and Robin which featured R. Kelly's best song of all time lol. I remember seeing then in the record store about 3 years back but forgot to go back and pick them up.

Sephzilla

75% of Batman movies involves making the atmosphere Batmany lol. I can watch those 90s Batman movies all the time. The Nolan films, are up there with The Godfather trilogy for me but I have to take a break watching them.I like that they blur the line between comic and reality but my childhood comes out when the cheesy Batman movies are shown lol.

Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises really run into the same issue alot of Chris Nolan movies run into where you realize the plot suddenly fucking sucks when you watch it again. Batman Begins is the best Nolan movie. Dark Knight is good but holy fuck it would be mediocre without Ledger. Dark Knight Rises is the most halfassed script Nolan and company have put out.

Menome

Batman Forever gave us the only good U2 song, so I can forgive it for that reason.

Batman & Robin is irredeemable garbage.

That's why he's in developmental, to sort out the mess and see if something can be made of him.
Given the number of people they have who aren't a mess and still haven't gotten a decent chance at a run, it seems odd to take on people like him who will need an incredible amount of work. Especially when everything they've shown of him seems to paint him as someone who is barely willing to put in the required work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batman Forever gave us the only good U2 song, so I can forgive it for that reason.

Batman & Robin is irredeemable garbage.

Hold that thought - listen to this, and let me know what you think. U2 is terrible dad rock a lot of the time but this...this is special. There was a stretch of a few years where they were doing really excellent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtITWp3ua4

So anyone have any good wrestling to recommend I watch tonight as I continue unpacking shit for my new apartment?

One thing I picked up on with rewatches of Batman Returns was that Penguin starts off the movie with a really elaborate plan to take over Gotham and then each new plan he comes up with becomes progressively more halfassed until we reach a literal rocket penguin army. I actually find that aspect of the movie hilarious because Batman shuts down at least 3 or 4 Penguin schemes during the movie, and Penguin gets more frustrated and just throws together new plots that are less and less thought out.

I'm not a fan of the Schumacher movies but I do agree with you here. They needed to shift away from the Burton style a bit.

But DID YOU KNOW - Batman & Robin of all fucking movies is the only live-action Batman movie where Batman actually abides by the no-kill rule

New DG show.

Ithil

Given the number of people they have who aren't a mess and still haven't gotten a decent chance at a run, it seems odd to take on people like him who will need an incredible amount of work. Especially when everything they've shown of him seems to paint him as someone who is barely willing to put in the required work.

They have a Performance Center for this exact reason, to hire loads of people with potential and see who turns out good. They have like 60-70 people in there at any one time, and ZZ does have plenty of personality/charisma, and he's only 19 so why not give him a cheap deal and see if you can train some work ethic into him.

I swear there was no consistency with Penguin, it's like there's a sudden drastic shift at the point where he's convinced to run for mayor where they suddenly thought "oh damn, he's not really villain enough yet" so about 10 seconds later he's suddenly spouting some sexual innuendos and biting a man's jaw, villainy accomplished.

And then it all ends with Penguin army.

This was actually part of a marathon of me going through the four batman movies from Burton's first to Batman & Robin. Honestly I found them all as bizarre as each other for the most part where the wheels consistently fell off halfway through, I'm almost inclined to say fun and playful like Vince but the fun novelty wears off about halfway through each of the four and I'm left wondering just what the heck i'm enduring (and what was with Gotham's muscular statues? is it like Vince McMahon's dream city? )

Now the Adam West Batman movie, that's so damn fun and playful the rest never stood a chance in that category.

Video game christmases though? My favorite, bar none, is Shenmue. LOVED it when you hit Xmastime. Second to that is any Animal Crossing game. A lot of perverted jrpghg weenies will say Persona 4 because they love Christmas done JAPANEESY STYLE but they're dumb.
As a kid Banjo-Kazooie's Freezeezy Peak stage was like the pinnacle of Christmas cheer for me.

Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises really run into the same issue alot of Chris Nolan movies run into where you realize the plot suddenly fucking sucks when you watch it again. Batman Begins is the best Nolan movie. Dark Knight is good but holy fuck it would be mediocre without Ledger. Dark Knight Rises is the most halfassed script Nolan and company have put out.
I preferred Rises to DK. I actually believed that Bane was going to really prevail. It was emotional for me as a big batman fan. The fight scenes were cool as we didn't get much fighting in DK but there could've been so much more. Batman's almost equal as the villain is worthy of some awesome fighting scenes.

I wanted more batman though lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of played out, we can talk about the Nolan Batmans.

Menome

Hold that thought - listen to this, and let me know what you think. U2 is terrible dad rock a lot of the time but this...this is special. There was a stretch of a few years where they were doing really excellent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtITWp3ua4

Pop is probably the one album I would have any time for because they were breaking their barriers somewhat at that stage. Still can't say I enjoy it, but I genuinely respect them for it.

Of course, it underperformed and they went back to being your dad's favourite wet blankets again. I do wish they'd stuck it out though to see how off-kilter they could have gone.

Unashamedly enjoy the shit out of the Dark Knight, flaws and all.
But Rises is like one of those films were I'm constantly thinking about how nonsensical the chain of events are throughout.

Shitting on Nolan's plots while loving Batman 89 and Returns...

Y'all deserve Kane in 2015 for this shit.

On this note as a Kane fan (in 2015) I feel like I should enjoy the batshit gothic craziness of vintage bats more than I actually do.

Menome

Dark Knight Rises bored me at the cinema, so I've never bothered to watch it again. Can still pop on either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight though and enjoy them, even if they don't quite stand up over time.

Fav 5 X-Mas Movies

5. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
4. Scrooged
3. Gremlins
2. Jingle All The Way
1. Die Hard

I didn't include It's a Wonderful Life as that'd win everything

Actually I feel bad for not having Elf and Bad Santa in there too. Dammit, so many good Christmas movies. and

Menome

And those people deserved Arkham Knight after that shit.

Arkham Knight isn't making it into my Top 10 for this year even though I 100% completed it. The Batmobile's over-use killed that game for me.

EDIT: Also, fuck the
Drill-Tank
boss fight into fucking oblivion. Genuinely one of the most unenjoyable gaming segments of my entire fucking life.

Top Bottom