• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

imBask

Banned
A wrestler's warcrate only matters in the indies, since being dumb enough to do flippy-dippies is what gets eyes on you. Being able to connect with the audience, having a certain aura around you, and being competent enough to tell a story in the ring are all of far greater importance than just pure wrestling ability. ESPECIALLY in the E.

Cesaro is a great wrestler with a huge warcrate, but he has yet to get me to actually care about why he's in the ring. And that's on creative AND him. Plenty of others have had a shit hand dealt to them by creative and been able to make it work. It says a lot when I can name multiple instances of caring about Santino Marella, and none involving Cesaro's own merits.

I do agree with most of what your saying, I just don't like Ryback's character either though so that doesn't help... he bores me, i'm not a fan of fake roid-rage dudes

I kinda liked Bully Ryback, that was okay

A wrestler's warcrate only matters in the indies, since being dumb enough to do flippy-dippies is what gets eyes on you. Being able to connect with the audience, having a certain aura around you, and being competent enough to tell a story in the ring are all of far greater importance than just pure wrestling ability. ESPECIALLY in the E.

Cesaro is a great wrestler with a huge warcrate, but he has yet to get me to actually care about why he's in the ring. And that's on creative AND him. Plenty of others have had a shit hand dealt to them by creative and been able to make it work. It says a lot when I can name multiple instances of caring about Santino Marella, and none involving Cesaro's own merits.

EDIT: Boogeyman getting a Legends contract is great. Totally FnP during that era.

You look at the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame this year, which has active wrestlers among the votes, and you can see that even the voters don't care as much about workrate as they do about the ability to draw (unless you die during the voting period, in which the death bump will get you into the Hall).

Recall

The way fans segregate rosters is quite amusing. People either classify wrestlers as main eventers or jobbers as some how being just a mid carder is disease that no one wants to discuss.

I'm with Cesaro being a mid carder, just please give him a storyline or an angle to work with beyond his nationality.

Guys I want to watch hockey but Im not sure how to start.. I see enough during playoff seaso ln, but Im not some crazy passionate band wagon jumper or anything.

How exactly do you begin to get so passionate about a team? Wrassling is ao much easier to get into

I am right outside Toronto but how do I become a fan?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The way fans segregate rosters is quite amusing. People either classify wrestlers as main eventers or jobbers as some how being just a mid carder is disease that no one wants to discuss.

I'm with Cesaro being a mid carder, just please give him a storyline or an angle to work with beyond his nationality.

Sure, he's a mid-carder, but his role is just being Lieutenant Worf, e.g. that guy who is presented as a plausible ass-kicker so when someone else comes in and beats the shit out of him, it gives them credibility.

All I'm saying is that people who expect a Cesaro push any day now are either willfully oblivious or haven't been watching. Dude is there are a filler guy for people with personalities like Owens to fight when they don't have time to set up any kind of real feud.

You look at the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame this year, which has active wrestlers among the votes, and you can see that even the voters don't care as much about workrate as they do about the ability to draw (unless you die during the voting period, in which the death bump will get you into the Hall).

Bryan didn't even get 13% votes

Bronx-Man

Banned
Cesaro is great as a midcarder who makes up and coming guys look good. The best way I would put this is to say his talents lie in "enhancing" other, actual stars.
That's the thing, there are no actual stars anymore. Everyone on the roster that could potentially get over by themselves just gets their momentum stopped because hey, we can't have someone becoming bigger than the WWE brand and running off to Hollywood or UFC. Cesaro's a midcarder surrounded by 60 other midcarders.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Undertaker. Mother fucker bored me to tears for so many years, I dreaded his matches just as I do with Kane and Big Show matches now, it wasn't until The Undertaker simply became a single match a year guy that I sorta started to care.

The amount of lumbering boring big men WWE has gone through over the years is staggering.

Taker put on TERRIBLE matches for a long time. It was a mix of him being ok in the ring but mainly because his character was the Undertaker. It is what it is.

Gonzalez

Banned
So the Boogeyman got a Legends contract.

Why.

I mean....the boogeyman?!

Is that suppose to be a peace offering towards Shane since the concept was his idea.

It was such a bad bad pointless go no where character.
"Legends" means old.

Boogeyman is most definitely near grampa age.

I don't know, around the big evil/booger red era and his last full time hurrah he wasn't wrestling like some lumbering giant, he was more of an agile brawler. His worst in ring stuff is definitely the attitude era.

Izzy ain't loyal.
CSmjeDYWwAAjfZX.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's the thing, there are no actual stars anymore. Everyone on the roster that could potentially get over by themselves just gets their momentum stopped because hey, we can't have someone becoming bigger than the WWE brand and running off to Hollywood or UFC. Cesaro's a midcarder surrounded by 60 other midcarders.

Hey now they let him have that spot where he slammed Big Show out of the ring to win the Jobber Rumble.

Maybe that's why people hate Dave. It isn't because his stuff costs money, or because they're too lazy to buy a sub to easily find stuff that gets misinterpreted and posted elsewhere. It's because his HOF voters include wrestlers, and if there's one group of people that won't respect what fans want, it's wrestlers

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how can children's anime be adult entertainment if the average viewer weight is 581lbs?

i think we can all figure this out on our own.

I missed this the first time around, and real_slime, when you're right, you're right.

KingBroly

Banned
Just guessing the SS card right now:

Wyatt Family v. Biker Take/Corporate Kane in a Survivor Series Match

Charlotte v. Paige

8-Man Tournament for the WWE WHC (Maximum of 7 matches)
- Roman Reigns
- Kevin Owens
- Dean Ambrose
- Alberto Del Rio
- Ryback
- Dolph Ziggler
- The Big Show
- Sheamus

Recall

Recall's Recommended Bouts of the Week

Chris Benoit vs DDP vs Raven - WCW Uncensored 98
Incredibly well booked and thought out brawl that used each of the wrestlers talents to perfection. All 3 never stopped and the crowd were going bananas making for a very memorable encounter.
Grade A

Booker T vs Disco Inferno - WCW Superbrawl 1999
Incredible crowd that were treated to a spectacular effort from Disco and Booker let him shine.
Grade B+

Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm - ECW Anarcy Rulz 1999
Technical masterclass that retained some of the ECW high impact stuff which anyone can enjoy. It told its story very well.
Grade A-

Fox318

I mean, we all remember multiple trash Reigns promos for the same reason. I guess the question is, do we want both Reigns and Cesaro in the midcard, or both flubbing promos in the main event?
Hey Roman Reigns and Cesaro in the main event would make everyone happy here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It took The Lapsed Fan my entire shopping trip to get to the actual show. It took them...four minutes to get a VKM impression, give or take.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I'm sticking to OSW, and Review-a-Wai after listening to a couple of shows.

I've been listening to their WM reviews as I get to them in my watches and I find it to be a pretty good listen. They started to get serious bloat around IX or X though but this is jumbo sized.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey folks so after my first ever live WWE event, I want to report back on my impressions. It was in Glasgow, Scotland, and from what I could tell was a decent show with a very enthusiastic crowd (including me).

As the night began I noticed something - most of the crowd consisted of parents with their children. Really bored parents. To be honest, a few kind of shitty parents. Then again, during the show, most of the reactions were coming from children. I played along, having a fun time cheering Roman with the kids, or booing Stardust, etc, etc, - but I realised

In a very real way, this is children's entertainment. Roman is a perfect example - every kid in the arena was behind him, just to see his comic book moves. It's actually got nothing to do with me. Brock, in a way, is actully gross, because this is children's entertainment and he is a concession to the grown men who continue to ignore that fact. It's a fun night out every once in a while, but the obsession we've displayed in this thread is misguided, I think. This is a children's tv show.

Basically, friends, I'm out of wrestling. I had a great time with it tonight, but I now see it the same way as I see Spongebob Squarepants. See ya.
And this is why Cena is one of the greatest and Spongebob is a modern classic.

Recall

The Attitude Era podcast is the only wrestling podcast I can stomach and even then it isn't perfect.

Are there any other actual good wrestling podcasts covering the past?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Attitude Era podcast is the only wrestling podcast I can stomach and even then it isn't perfect.

New Generation Project Podcast is by far my favorite. Every two weeks like clockwork. The first few episodes are rough, it gets dramatically better as it goes along.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Review-A-Wai is the only one I enjoy. It's fun to look at their feed and listen to shows you've watched or remember clearly.

Some neat jobs posted on last page.

Zach, stage work? Are you on crew or performer?

I have a minor in threatre.

Half the posts here are people sharing what they do for a living. Who do you job to, fella?

Like whats my job? I job to HR. Human Resources. I am a generalist for 55 hospitals in the Central US.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Austin mentioned this re: Seth Rollins' injury:

"These guys in waiting that have been thinking if they had a shot, now is their chance to seize that opportunity," Austin said. "It's sink or swim now, and they're going to get an opportunity that they normally wouldn't have had coming."

He's right. It's when injury and time off collide when people who DO want to have a break can make it. I sure hope Cesaro gets over his performance anxiety and makes a name for himself, because everyone has a far better chance RIGHT NOW than ever before.

I hope they fire Ziggler too.

Top Bottom