• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
He could be sitting in an office in a backstage segment, with Ziggler trying to convince Dean to surrender himself. I think we all know what happens to Ziggler next...

xYyw0Ln.jpg
Oh man, I need this, the marking out would be severe, also Ziggler overselling being shot in the face like an idiot.

Needless to say, I'm glad I took that three months away. I had to find my smile again, which I lost somewhere down the line. I'm enjoying WWE on more levels than before and I think you will find that will make me a better community member.
Welcome back, you were usually a reasonable poster so I'll chalk up any previous incidents down to having lost your smile.

You know what to do champ
Masterful long term booking.

Taker from 91 until 96 was all about character. Dude was in so many Casket matches, no sold because "that's his character", didn't talk much, etc.

Then he fought Mankind, Vader, and they started the whole thing with Kane. He started talking more, but his character got fleshed out more because of it, and Paul Bearer was masterful at his craft. That's when he finally became interesting, in addition to working with more interesting opponents.

Yeah, Taker started actually wrestling in matches with the likes of Mankind and Bret in '96-'97 iirc.

But in retrospect, Ministry era might just be peak Taker as far I'm concerned. One of my favorite episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINNyQLVxrg

Besides the unforgettable scene of Taker calling in a hit via his Motorola flip phone (Don't you fail me, Mideon), his exchange with Big Show at the end is actually pretty intense. Show was over!

Undertaker really sold well. Seriously, lots of big man who have to no sell because it's the character choose not to roll their head at all. Taker would take these wild staggers while still giving off that he was merely stunned momentarily. I noticed it even as far back as his match with Hogan at SS '91.

Foffy

Banned
Okada vs Tanahashi hype is rising, crazy pull apart brawl at the show today. Tana's gone all Jumbo, beating the piss out of the punk kid after his spot. Also, huge reaction for
Naito
showing up unexpectedly. Jr. tag final was awesome, but kinda sucks it's only led to what's looking like another 4-way at Wrestle Kingdom. But they're alwyas going to try and cram as many guys onto the WK card, so it's to be expected.

Haven't they done this type of match for this type of belt years in a row now? A good portion of the people in the upcoming match at WK10 were literally in the exact same match for WK9.

And the rest of the Wrestle Kingdom 10 card gets announced on November 8. We already have Okada vs. Tanahashi and Styles vs. Nakamura. We'll also have Liger vs. Tiger Mask for the NWA Jr. title, a junior tag four-way and a heavyweight tag match. Maybe we'll get a Sakuraba match, depending on how Rizin goes.

klonere

Banned
And the rest of the Wrestle Kingdom 10 card gets announced on November 8. We already have Okada vs. Tanahashi and Styles vs. Nakamura. We'll also have Liger vs. Tiger Mask for the NWA Jr. title, a junior tag four-way and a heavyweight tag match. Maybe we'll get a Sakuraba match, depending on how Rizin goes.

I find it funny that the NWA Jr match has participants with a combined age of 100+ years.

They booked themselves into a corner with the junior tag. If reDRagon is done after this tour and Ricochet has to go back to Lucha Underground, the tag scene drops back to Bucks and Roppongi Vice until new teams are injected into the scene. So, they need to transition the titles to the Bucks or Vice, and they wanted Sydal/Ricochet to win.

Also, last night's Evolve show was very good.

miserable

what's a Rizin?

surely you don't mean...Terra Rizin?

what's a Rizin?

surely you don't mean...Terra Rizin?

A new Japanese MMA promotion starting with 3 straight events on NYEE, NYE, and New Year's which, before the Bellator announcement last night of Gracie/Shamrock/Dada/Kimbo, was the carniest thing in MMA of the year

4 words for ya: Akebono vs Bob Sapp

miserable

A new Japanese MMA promotion starting with 3 straight events on NYEE, NYE, and New Year's which, before the Bellator announcement last night of Gracie/Shamrock/Dada/Kimbo, was the carniest thing in MMA of the year

4 words for ya: Akebono vs Bob Sapp

is Sapp still huge in Japan? wait, they have Fedor too? lol

Aiii

So not worth it
what is a dada 5000?

A street fighter that fought for Kimbo's street fighting organisation before making the step to professional MMA.

There's a doc about that on Netflix called Dawg Fight, has a bit of Dada 5000's early professional career too, check it out, it's a good doc.

Gonzalez

Banned
As well as best matches of the year, what are people's current front-runners for best promo?

I'll get my obvious marky-one out of the way, Damien Sandow 27th April getting ridiculously over with the audience before being buried in gimmick-land again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcrsgw_xlY

You'd think that promo would have lead to the return of real ass Damien Sandow. But no, we got Damien playing "Shadow" for a couple of weeks before becoming Macho Mandow.

Alucard

Banned
I finished watching Daredevil Season One last night. It was absolutely fantastic. One of my favourite shows ever. DD has been my favourite super hero for over a decade, and I'm thrilled that they gave him such a respectful and appropriate treatment.

Mahonay

Banned
This is factually incorrect. Tech ically, games should perform better but dont always do. Look how long it took them to fix problems on Unity and Witcher 3 for the Ps4. Fallout 4 has reported issues on ps4 as well from our friends in europe
Day 1 patch to hit still as well.

Games performing worse on PS4 is out of the ordinary, but as you said it definitely does happen. Curious how to hear how it's performing on XB1.

Neither console is very powerful for current standardas. At least with PS4 you tend to get 1080p for a lot of multi platform games.

Yeah, Taker started actually wrestling in matches with the likes of Mankind and Bret in '96-'97 iirc.

But in retrospect, Ministry era might just be peak Taker as far I'm concerned. One of my favorite episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINNyQLVxrg

Besides the unforgettable scene of Taker calling in a hit via his Motorola flip phone (Don't you fail me, Mideon), his exchange with Big Show at the end is actually pretty intense. Show was over!

Undertaker really sold well. Seriously, lots of big man who have to no sell because it's the character choose not to roll their head at all. Taker would take these wild staggers while still giving off that he was merely stunned momentarily. I noticed it even as far back as his match with Hogan at SS '91.
The best thing about this is how Show eventually become one of Taker’s minions.

First thing you've got to do is to find a team to be passionate for that isn't the Leafs. Find a team that can actually compete for the Stanley Cup regularly instead of one built around putting out a mediocre product so it can sell $200 seats to corporate execs and their families.

Seeing how they're off to a hot start this year, I recommend the Canadiens.

Next thing you've got to do is to watch their games regularly and get a feel for what they do well and find players to get behind. Most people become hockey fans because of a deep playoff run with thrilling overtime contests and come from behind victories and then stick with that team long-term from there. It's tough to become invested during the regular season if you're not already a fan. So you may just want to wait until April and try then.

That said, there's a classic Bruins-Habs rivalry game tomorrow night. Those almost always deliver.

But isn't the equivalent of cheering for someone like Cena, or just the top guys, just because they are winners?

It sounds weird to me, to find a winning team, watch them, and become a passionate fan. Doesn't that feel insincere?

I like to watch the playoffs and all that, and I would cheer for any Canadian teams, and it's still exciting to watch, but I'm not sure how I can become a fan of any team.

Maybe I need to find a player who resonates with me.

Anth0ny

Dave Meltzer and Alverez were convinced that Vince could choose big show to be champ.

I'd rather the big show win the belt than sheamus

if sheamus cashes in and fails against big show i'd mark out for big show for the first time in my life

RBH

wrestlemania14_2.jpg

“It was a real pain even getting to the match, and Shawn will tell you this, he wasn’t in a good place, physically or mentally,” Austin said of their WrestleMania 14 match. “He had a real bad attitude on him and didn’t feel like dropping the strap.” Austin would of course, go on to win the WWF Title at the event.

Austin elaborated on HBK’s attitude, specifying an open workout in Boston in which Michaels was hit with a battery which sent him over the edge. Neither he nor Mike Tyson, who was also present, knew if Michaels would come back to the workout after leaving.

Despite the outcome of the match, Austin wasn’t happy with it.

“I walked out of that thing as WWE Champion, but I told Vince that match was the drizzling shits,” Austin said. He noted that Vince assured him it was fine and they accomplished what they needed to.

http://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/wrestlemania14/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dave Meltzer and Alverez were convinced that Vince could choose big show to be champ.

Why is it every time people say "Meltzer and Alvarez say" it's followed by something inane that would never actually happen and never does happen. It just feels like it.

Having a tournament that sets up a 4 way is pretty dumb. Ricochet/Sydel bs Reddragon would be great on its own

I'm guessing Ricosydal will get their title match at the last major upcoming New Japan event, the G1 Tag League Finals, but lose, and THAT will set up the four way with reDRagon, the Bucks, and RPG Vice. Liger vs. Tiger Mask likely won't be at WK10, I can see that happening at the Tag League Finals or the event at Korakuen the day after WK10. Also I think we'll get KUSHIDA vs. Omega for the Jr title and the heavyweight tag title match will be Gallows and Anderson vs. whoever wins the G1 Tag League, which the finals have pretty much been given to be Naito and EVIL vs. Goto and Shibata. Maybe a three way, otherwise I can't figure out a way to get Goto and Shibata on the card. Or maybe they face off and GBH (Makabe and Honma) wins the tag league to get the shot, which actually makes more sense. The only problem is no opponent for Ishii (which I could see going to Ibushi if he wasn't injured), maybe give it to Fale, although it looks like we'll get a Fale/Yujiro/Tonga vs. Yano/Sakuraba/Yano's Mystery Partner match instead. So I don't know what they'll do with the NEVER title...

Oh wait! #BIGMIKE!

So here's my card!

Jr. Tag title Four-Way: reDRagon vs. Roppongi Vice vs. The Young Bucks vs. Ricochet and Sydal
Special Six Man Tag: Yano/Sakuraba/Mystery Partner vs. Bad Luck Fale/Yujiro/Tama Tonga
Special Tag Match: Naito/EVIL vs. Goto/Shibata
IWGP Jr. Title Match: Kenny Omega vs. KUSHIDA
NEVER Title match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Michael Elgin
IWGP Tag Team title match: Anderson/Gallows vs. Makabe/Honma
IWGP Intercontinental Title Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles
IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Hmm, that's only eight matches, usually WK has ten. Maybe some ROH involvement? Or have Liger vs. Tiger Mask on the show after all? Or maybe have Suzuki vs. Marufuji for the GHC title?

If they wanted Reigns to get cheered for winning the title - winning it off of Big Show would do the trick. :p

Winning it off Sheamus would accomplish the same

Just fucking do it already so we can stop being surprised every time commentary points out he has the briefcase

painey

Why is it every time people say "Meltzer and Alvarez say" it's followed by something inane that would never actually happen and never does happen. It just feels like it.

Dave Meltzer is the Michael Pachter of wrestling. Has contacts, but ultimately knows fuck-all.

Top Bottom