• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Heel

It was on the Observer, I swear. Not sure whether it was audio or text, but it wasn't on the free site (didn't know there was a free Observer Live that day so I answered that, which yeah was a fuckup)

I want to believe you, Sweeney Tom, but now dream is saying he can't find any mention of those matches. Can you point him in the right direction? Maybe he's missing something.

I want to believe you, Sweeney Tom, but now dream is saying he can't find any mention of those matches. Can you point him in the right direction? Maybe he's missing something.

Maybe I'm going insane, I don't know what to tell you, friend. Maybe...

Maybe WWE finally broke me. Maybe Vince finally got his W over me.

Sheetz said it was Jake, then they said it was Shane Douglas. I wanted to believe
Sarcasm or no?

But Jake would've been sick due to the fact that he was just that, sick.

Yo, I wanted to know your stories(everyone on WrassleGAF from the sheets in the late 90s early 2000s.

I didn't get into the sheets until 2004 and my older cousin didn't exactly want to tell me too much as a kid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I finished 1997. Yep, this roster is looking like the Attitude era one. Only people left who doesn't really make it into the Attitude era are Ahmed and HBK. The final segment with Rock/McMahon and Austin is electrifying to say the least.

bjork

Sarcasm or no?

Yo, I wanted to know your stories(everyone on WrassleGAF from the sheets in the late 90s early 2000s.

I didn't get into the sheets until 2004 and my older cousin didn't exactly want to tell me too much as a kid.

There were multiple places saying it. Not sure if that was some BS source getting to multiple places, or if one guy ran it and everyone copied.

The first time I remember reading wrestling news online, it was an emailed newsletter from some group of people I found in AOL's wrestling section. Or in keyword WWF or whatever, this is 20 years ago now, so it's kinda fuzzy. But they would have spoilers for Raw sometimes, sometimes not. Then just tons of rumors. I remember the 96 Royal Rumble having everyone from Rick Rude to Sabu listed as surprise entrants.

I finished 1997. Yep, this roster is looking like the Attitude era one. Only people left who doesn't really make it into the Attitude era are Ahmed and HBK. The final segment with Rock/McMahon and Austin is electrifying to say the least.
Attitude Era started in late 97'. It doesn't hit it's peak until mid 98' though.

There were multiple places saying it. Not sure if that was some BS source getting to multiple places, or if one guy ran it and everyone copied.

The first time I remember reading wrestling news online, it was an emailed newsletter from some group of people I found in AOL's wrestling section. Or in keyword WWF or whatever, this is 20 years ago now, so it's kinda fuzzy. But they would have spoilers for Raw sometimes, sometimes not. Then just tons of rumors. I remember the 96 Royal Rumble having everyone from Rick Rude to Sabu listed as surprise entrants.
Interesting. I was always under the impression that Davey was the leader and most copied from him or took half of hos statement and ran their own.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Attitude Era started in late 97'. It doesn't hit it's peak until mid 98' though.

I tried to stand by my long held belief that the Attitude era didn't start until WM 14 but after watching the last two months of 1997 it clearly starts the night after Survivor Series. Hell the first Attitude advertisements start on that show!

It's crazy how decimated the roster is going into 1998 and it's only going to get worse with HBK leaving. They get a lot out of McMahon/Austin though so you hardly notice and by the time he takes his time off for neck surgery the roster is pretty much the best ever assembled.

What about commissioner HBK??

bjork

I tried to stand by my long held belief that the Attitude era didn't start until WM 14 but after watching the last two months of 1997 it clearly starts the night after Survivor Series. Hell the first Attitude advertisements start on that show!

It's crazy how decimated the roster is going into 1998 and it's only going to get worse with HBK leaving. They get a lot out of McMahon/Austin though so you hardly notice and by the time he takes his time off for neck surgery the roster is pretty much the best ever assembled.

Attitude Era starts whatever night Vince cut that "we don't want to insult our fans' intelligence" segment. That's what I'd consider the official jumping off point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What about commissioner HBK??

He's also brought on as a second color commentator for exactly one show.

From around September on in 1997 HBK has come out to the ring three out of every four shows slurring his lines and stumbling around. It's a good thing they brought in Rude as the spokesman as no one wanted to hear 1997 HHH cut promos for 15 minutes to open the show. He's usually more sober for the PPVs and RAWS where he has big angles like beating up midget Bret Hart but its clear he's in a bad way.

The match with Shamrock to end the PPV year? Not Bad!

I'm pretty certain you and I will but Sokantish does possess an uncanny ability to recall things, it's almost frightening at times.

He hasn't watched enough WWE programming™ recently thus keeping his recollection skills safe...this is problematic, he now has the uncanny ability to book long term.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Stone Cold wasn't around HBK versus vigilante Owen would have been a fun program, but man does he get burried by this nugget of shit promo.

Sarcasm or no?

Well, PWTorch was my main one. I never subscribed though. That site was usually pretty accurate in my admittedly hazy memory. I do specifically recall blowing my younger friend's mind by predicting Ultimate Warrior's 1998 WCW debut.

I also followed some of the wrestler web pages. Jericho had some good stories on his. So did Perry Saturn and Lance Storm.

I'm going to comment more on this when I get to work because I have a lot to say. You bring up a major point and it correlates with today's product.

If Stone Cold wasn't around HBK versus vigilante Owen would have been a fun program, but man does he get burried by this nugget of shit promo.

Owen never recovered from that. I remember being pumped up by Owen's "Black Hart" promo. But that character never fit him. He played the bitter and cowardly (but also smart) heel to perfection.

I miss Owen's corniness. "You wanna kiss my butt! You sicko! Well, you can suck my...toes!"

Gonzalez

Banned
Honestly it was for the best. Owen being the only white member of Nation 2.0 fit much better with his sense of humor, than being a stand in for his brother.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The new Attitude Era Podcast is up, Royal Rumble 2001. Only two shows left after this one, but they've gone from every 2-3 weeks to every 4-6 weeks so it might take them awhile to get to X-7.

klonere

Banned
Ministry Taker fucking sucks. Too many awful promos, bad matches, heel vs heel shit going against the Corporation, "The Higher Power", everything is so terrible. The whole angle with Stephanie is kinda okay but doesn't make up for all the other crap.

Why did Shamrock disappear all of a sudden in 1999 btw? He was going to feud with Jericho and then....he was gone. Steroids, drugs, what?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shamrock is a really weird one, he could have been given the belt any number of times in late 1997 as a perfect transition between Bret and HBK, and they clearly never lost full faith in the guy always teaming him up with rising stables but it just never quite worked out for him.

bjork

Ministry Taker fucking sucks. Too many awful promos, bad matches, heel vs heel shit going against the Corporation, "The Higher Power", everything is so terrible. The whole angle with Stephanie is kinda okay but doesn't make up for all the other crap.

Why did Shamrock disappear all of a sudden in 1999 btw? He was going to feud with Jericho and then....he was gone. Steroids, drugs, what?

He left to go back to mma, no real controversy.

Shamrock is a really weird one, he could have been given the belt any number of times in late 1997 as a perfect transition between Bret and HBK, and they clearly never lost full faith in the guy always teaming him up with rising stables but it just never quite worked out for him.

He was a dumb meathead that was horrible on the mic and he always felt out of place to me. He looked good pulling a suplex or doing his ankle lock, but the rest maybe not so much.

Jamie OD

Shamrock got injured and when he recovered he chose to fight in Pride over returning to WWF. Probably got a big offer.

thefro

Interesting. I was always under the impression that Davey was the leader and most copied from him or took half of hos statement and ran their own.

Meltzer only had a snail mail newsletter back then and no online presence at all so if you just copied newz from him you couldn't keep an updated site.

Your other sources would be:
- Wade Keller's newsletter (not as good as Meltzer but decently credible)
- 1wrestling with Bob Ryder/Dave Scherer who knew some ECW people
- Al Isaacs from Scoops Wrestling who knew DDP
- A couple other web boards on Prodigy/AOL, etc. WWF had an official board. I think Ryder and Keller both ran ones at one point if I remember correctly,
- Calling WWF/WCW/ECW 900 hotlines which had a few legit rumors and made up shit
- Bill Apter wrestling mags that made up shit
- I think Russo had a rumor column in WWE magazine for a while that people copied from
- Local wrestling hotlines in places like Baltimore who made up shit and read you the Observer
- Some smart dudes would copy news and reword it and make some stuff up and try to sound legit and they'd be your star reporters
- Minor league indie wrestler who would act like they were a super insider online since they had met a few people at shows.
- Copy stuff from other newz sites
- Show reports/spoilers/news tips from readers

bjork

I used to buy a ton of Apter mags, but I remember them being more about fantasy matchup stuff and theorizing on angles that might've already concluded by the time the issue hit stores. I still enjoyed them at the time, but more from a point of gaining knowledge of guys I didn't see on TV, rather than a hint at what's ahead.

Russo was Vic Viper in the old WWF magazine, and sometimes there would be stuff hinted at that happened. But through an official publication, a few red herrings with a couple of actual occurrences thrown in, makes more sense.

I used to buy a ton of Apter mags, but I remember them being more about fantasy matchup stuff and theorizing on angles that might've already concluded by the time the issue hit stores. I still enjoyed them at the time, but more from a point of gaining knowledge of guys I didn't see on TV, rather than a hint at what's ahead.

Russo was Vic Viper in the old WWF magazine, and sometimes there would be stuff hinted at that happened. But through an official publication, a few red herrings with a couple of actual occurrences thrown in, makes more sense.

Yeah, those Apter mags were great. Seeing the blood and guts going on in the indie circuit and WCW (if only in B&W mostly) compared to early 90s WWF was pretty shocking as a kid. I'm still wondering why Warrior was billed as being from Queens, NY, though.

You for got the old: "my friends uncle works for WWF. He told me it's not a work"

The way they used to dance around the topic used to be funny. JR was hilarious in 97/98. "Of course you'll have some idiot out there saying that they know how to fall!"

bjork

How did that warrior is dead rumor spread so fast?

Like in 91? Never underestimate the schoolyard word of mouth.

I remember talking about WM8 with a classmate and I predicted Warrior would come save Hogan after the match, and then I didn't see the PPV. The next day he's like, "how did you know that?" and I just had to admit that I pulled it out of my ass.

miserable

was Tyson in WWF really that big of a deal? i was in full WCW mode between 96 and early 99 so i didn't know about anything WWF, but if someone would have told me in 98 "dude, Tyson showed up in WWF, you have to watch this!" i would have went "huh, cool i guess, carry on"

Man God

Non-Canon Member

He looked different when he came back to the WWF during WM VIII, so people thought it was Kerry Von Erich. Then a few years later the Renegade debuted in WCW and people thought he could have been the fake warrior, even though the two don't really look alike after all.

was Tyson in WWF really that big of a deal? i was in full WCW mode between 96 and early 99 so i didn't know about anything WWF, but if someone would have told me in 98 "dude, Tyson showed up in WWF, you have to watch this!" i would have went "huh, cool i guess, carry on"

Yes, it quite possibly saved RAW from being canceled, led to a huge number for WM14 and started the program which eventually turned the tides in the Monday Night War. It's one of the most monumental moves in the history of our great sport, hiring a convicted Rapist for a few shows.

bjork

They considered it a huge get because they were trying to push controversy, and Mike still made the news any time he did anything back then. I forget, but I think it made front page of the USA Today or something, which is enough publicity to cover whatever Mike's fee was.

Yes, it quite possibly saved RAW from being canceled,

this is news to me.

Yes Him and Austin carried the promotion for mania

I remember hearing that one on the school bus. He looked alot different to us kids when he came back at WM8 (no roids, shorter hair, but also I guess the makeup made his face look dif). Also, the particular version of the rumor that I heard included the Texas Tornado being 1 of 3 Ultimate Warriors. Seems like his real life death got garbled into Warrior Lore.

Edit: Man God's on point. And huh, Von Erich died in 93, so later than Warrior's return and after people were saying that he was the new UW. That whole rumor almost take an eerier twist now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They considered it a huge get because they were trying to push controversy, and Mike still made the news any time he did anything back then. I forget, but I think it made front page of the USA Today or something, which is enough publicity to cover whatever Mike's fee was.

this is news to me.

USA was not happy with the ratings in 1996 and 1997 at all, nor were they pleased at the sleaze that started to leak in, and especially weren't pleased with the Pillman's got a gun angle, nearly canceled them right then and there. It's been said that one of the meetings Vince told them about the deal with Tyson in late 1997/early 1998 and that pushed them over the edge to not cancel the show.

Top Bottom