• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

bjork

USA was not happy with the ratings in 1996 and 1997 at all, nor were they pleased at the sleaze that started to leak in, and especially weren't pleased with the Pillman's got a gun angle, nearly canceled them right then and there. It's been said that one of the meetings Vince told them about the deal with Tyson in late 1997/early 1998 and that pushed them over the edge to not cancel the show.

Huh. I'd only ever heard of the gun angle getting them in some hot water.

but did anyone at that time believe for a second that Tyson would compete in a wrestling ring?

They had Shamrock by that point, so it didn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Would he have been a good wrestler? Probably not, the first time someone stiffed him, he would've laid them out. But it would've popped a buyrate for sure.

thefro

Like in 91? Never underestimate the schoolyard word of mouth.

I remember talking about WM8 with a classmate and I predicted Warrior would come save Hogan after the match, and then I didn't see the PPV. The next day he's like, "how did you know that?" and I just had to admit that I pulled it out of my ass.

I remember my Dad showing me a news article about how the original Ultimate Warrior died of a heart attack in one of the tabloid newspapers at the drug store... might have been the Weekly World News. I'm pretty sure that's how it spread so fast. I remember it being black and white and having pictures of the old warrior next to the "new" one.

was Tyson in WWF really that big of a deal? i was in full WCW mode between 96 and early 99 so i didn't know about anything WWF, but if someone would have told me in 98 "dude, Tyson showed up in WWF, you have to watch this!" i would have went "huh, cool i guess, carry on"

It was huge. If you look at the Raw ratings history you can see the spike when Tyson shows up.

Ministry Taker fucking sucks. Too many awful promos, bad matches, heel vs heel shit going against the Corporation, "The Higher Power", everything is so terrible. The whole angle with Stephanie is kinda okay but doesn't make up for all the other crap.

Why did Shamrock disappear all of a sudden in 1999 btw? He was going to feud with Jericho and then....he was gone. Steroids, drugs, what?
You remember the black guy that was with Jericho? He injured Kenny and Ken was shelved and the estimate return time for 6 monthsj
(dealt with his neck) . Vince wanted him back in like a month or two. Kenny said they agreed to part ways because there was no way he'd be back in time
If you want I can link you to his interview where he talks about it. But at the same time it was best for him because being a wrestler destroyed his family. Very sad.
Shamrock is a really weird one, he could have been given the belt any number of times in late 1997 as a perfect transition between Bret and HBK, and they clearly never lost full faith in the guy always teaming him up with rising stables but it just never quite worked out for him.
Well as much as I love HBK that was another factor of him and his powers. He felt like if he beats Kenny it would give him more heel heat. Shit Vince was sold on Kenny but yeah ot withered away. Then you saw the rise of Austin. They fucked up with Shamrock, not the other way around. He was 7 years too early, if he debuted in 2000 and stayed around by 2003 he could've definitely gotten a boost from the Ruthless Aggression era.

Jezbollah

It was huge. If you look at the Raw ratings history you can see the spike when Tyson shows up.

Yeah, I remember this at the time - it was right in the time of the two fights he had with Holyfield - he was pretty much at the end of his peak of his career.

The brawl on Raw was a massive moment.

bjork

I remember my Dad showing me a news article about how the original Ultimate Warrior died of a heart attack in one of the tabloid newspapers at the drug store... might have been the Weekly World News. I'm pretty sure that's how it spread so fast. I remember it being black and white and having pictures of the old warrior next to the "new" one.

That could be, too. I'd actually like to see how the photos looked, I could see them using Warrior in the casket on Funeral Parlor all like "photos from his wake!" or something.

But really, all it took was tuning in to Superstars and seeing a promo to go "yep, that's the same dude with a haircut."

no special singles match or some dream match at WK 10?

There was a rumor that AJ would defend the ROH title at WK10, but that's obviously not happening. Sakuraba has the Rizin fight, and Ibushi is probably hurt past January 4, so they're out. We'll probably get #BIGMIKE challenge for he NEVER title, so that's your special match unless they do the NOAH match at WK10.

Fox318

Imagine if wcw locked up Tyson after he went to wwf to hear their offer.

Vince could have been so screwed. I mean so much depended on getting Austin over after bret.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Shawn and hhh pulled some kliq shit and convinced Vince that Austin wasn't ready.

If we're talking wrestling leaking into the tabloids, does anyone else remember the paparazzi photos that showed Hogan skinny dipping w/ like 3 ladies? My grandmother showed up to my house w/ that shit one day, much to my mother's disgust.

Terry gettin those thrills Warrior spoke of...

Reminder this happens next week

CTNApmrXAAAFJ9i.jpg

Lothar

Banned

There was a smaller spike with Tyson than with the Montreal Screwjob and Austin/McMahon. Tyson was big but not something they really needed. It was smaller than a lot of other things at the time.

Before Survivor Series 1997, ratings were a 2.6 and then they were a 3.4. It stayed in the 3s after that. That's what made me start watching.

Then in Mar 30th 98, ratings were a 3.8, and on Apr 8 98, it was a 4.7 and it stayed in the mid 4s after that. Tyson didn't have anything to do with those dates in April. That was all Austin vs McMahon.

monday_night_wars_ratings.jpg

Curtis Hughes shelved Shamrock? How did he keep getting employed?!?

Everyone needs a jobber. But yeah Kenny was about to beat the shit out of him but Jericho and a few others held him back.

I wonder, would Owen have done well with The Game gimmick? And what would have happened with HHH?
I think it would've been hard to picture Owen as a tough guy but he was a good actor so he would've made it work. Would Hunter still marry Steph?

I think it would've been hard to picture Owen as a tough guy but he was a good actor so he would've made it work. Would Hunter still marry Steph?

I hate to say it, but it seemed like Owen started mailing it in after the Screw Job. His matches became somewhat paint by numbers and he put on some weight. I think he really planned on leaving the business shortly had that fateful event never occurred.

His push officially ended with the crotch shot from Chyna at WM14. Really, it ended when they decided to pair him w/ Hunter instead of Shawn.

Yeah it's hard for me to take him seriously, especially since he had the blue blazer gimmick going on.
I believe he could've turned out around somehow. Like I said, he was a good actor.

4th yeah, he was coasting as he wanted to levee after his contract was up.

Barrage

what do you say about this card friends? yay or nay?

If Finn's coming in that low on the card just keep him in NXT until after Mania.

I know the injury concerns, but if WWE has Lesnar and Rock on the card and they're not facing each other they're throwing money away.

what do you say about this card friends? yay or nay?

It's gotta be Rock/Brock for the belt if they can get them both. I like Ambrose/Reigns, but they'll never do it right. They should do face vs face over the IC belt for a while and tease which one is gonna turn heal. As for who does, book it close to the event depending on the crowd reactions leading up.

I know they want merch sales, but they need one to be a heel for a while to develop character and sustain interest long term.

It's gotta be Rock/Brock for the belt if they can get them both. I like Ambrose/Reigns, but they'll never do it right. They should do face vs face w/ them for a while and tease which one is gonna turn heal. As for who does, book it close to the event depending on the crowd reactions leading up.

I know they want merch sales, but they need one to be a heel for a while to develop character and sustain interest long term.
I'm telling you Brock and Rock is moolah. That match alone will sell out the arena.

I'm telling you Brock and Rock is moolah. That match alone will sell out the arena.

Pretty easy set up if they can get Rock as a surprise entrant into the Royal Rumble. Have Lesnar win the strap earlier that same night. They just have to deal w/ the champ not being on TV every week, but they've done it effectively in the past. If they do Ambrose/Reigns right, at least one of them will end up more developed later in the year. They will probably pull the trigger on Reigns this WM, though.

Pretty easy set up if they can get Rock as a surprise entrant into the Royal Rumble. Have Lesnar win the strap earlier that same night. They just have to deal w/ the champ not being on TV every week, but they've done it effectively in the past. If they do Ambrose/Reigns right, at least one of them will end up more developed later in the year. They will probably pull the trigger on Reigns this WM, though.
It could be done with or without the title but I guess since it'll overshadow whoever is wearing the strap, you may as well. Then have The Rock drop the title to Roman but have ie be a heel turn for Roman.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Every WrasslinGAF fantasy booking includes the phrase "...and then Roman Reigns turns heel!"

Every WrasslinGAF fantasy booking includes the phrase "...and then Roman Reigns turns heel!"
He can't work the microphone at all. At least Cena can talk and work the crowd but Roman just can't. He needs a mouth piece. At least as a heel he can just be ruthless and beat everyone up like Lesnar.

Tony Chimmel v. Howard Finkel on the 3rd SD. I don't even.

I always wondered how in the fuck did JR not laugh at some of this shit. But I know Cole has to be done especially with Gilberg coming out to face Hunter. King had the best job back then.

I still can't fucking believe that Bossman fed Al Snow pepper. I'm in here crying.

Top Bottom