• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Born Penalty Killers (NHL 13 EASHL)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Getting my Legend 3 card twice was so worth it!
Fuck you EA, fuck you so hard

Milly79

Getting my Legend 3 card twice was so worth it!
Fuck you EA, fuck you so hard

So we're going to get 640 xp points to mess around with off the start, nice.

Since it seems the builds may actually be useful this year, I don't know what style I want to play. PM or PWF.

Red_Man

If the retail game stays true to the demo, wingers are probably best off as PWF with the way the hitting and fore checking is. I'm gonna stick with PM for my guy.

After getting more time with the demo I still see plenty of bullshit shining through in 13 already.

- I don't know how many times I'll pokecheck the computer and it's able to just automatically reach out and regain control of the puck and sprint away while I take 5 seconds to get up to speed. But when I get pokechecked the puck hovers around between my skates and the game won't let me pick it back up so the computer takes it away anyway.

- I'll line up a computer player for a hit perfectly and he barely bounces off me and keeps control of the puck. Meanwhile if I sidestep a check and barely get clipped my guy acts like he was bulldozed and the puck is long gone.

- The computer makes pinpoint passes while I'll have my left stick pointed directly at a guy for a pass and the puck goes to the dude 10ft behind him.

- This "momentum feature" they added is a great idea with pretty poor execution. My character doesn't feel weighty like they wanted, it just feels sluggish and slow to react.

- The bubble around the goalie is just bad.

- Is it just me or does holding RB not give you the same control over your stick on defense like it used to? It looks glitchy and sporadic.

- Defense especially feels clunky. I don't feel like I'm controlling a live hockey player, it feels more like that bubble hockey with the rods where they just spin around with any actual coordination.

- Changing to the player you actually WANT to change to is still an issue (for me at least). It's the least intuitive player changing system I've ever seen in a sports game. When the other team is on offense approaching my blue line wouldn't it make more sense for it to switch me to the defender in front of the oncoming puck carrier instead of the winger trailing to the side of him?

- EA has resorted to their typical difficulty settings where instead of making the computer team better through more creative plays or better defense they just get to do the impossible. The goalie stops ridiculous one timers and their team can score no matter how well they're covered. The puck just passes through your stick or body and lands on their tape, and regardless or whether or not your goalie is in position it'll go in.

- And the board play is completely fucked. The two players on the boards have a bubble like the goalie does and when you skate up to them you just sorta bounce off them without really getting a chance to dig the puck out. And a couple times now I've been trying to dig a puck out and my guy warps several feet away from the play. So lame.

With that said I'll still pick this up as I'm getting tired of '11 but I'm just not a huge fan with the direction the franchise is going in. Some things are big improvements while other areas are getting worse.

Red_Man

The hitting definitely needs to be looked at. Sometimes you barely get hit and you're knocked on your ass and other times like Hawk said you just bounce off a guy.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah they really went overboard trying to take away the cross crease which I dont mind, but I just made a soft pass to one of my players with no one around him, it was directly at his stick and barely touched the pass button, the puck ended up flicking off his stick abd losing it. I pulled my hair out after.

Edit: Thank god were on the 2nd pages. Those gifs were killing my phone browser.

Red_Man

General rule for Sox fighting : If it's a bad time to fight, then Sox is trying to fight someone.

Delryk

Using NZ trap is hilarious.. USA team didnt know what yo do in HUT.. Their D kept passing to eachother while i was sitting there and wait for the win.

Also..i need to practice on tapping the pass button and not holding it down all the time. Fast passes mostly dont work.

Milly79

Using NZ trap is hilarious.. USA team didnt know what yo do in HUT.. Their D kept passing to eachother while i was sitting there and wait for the win.

Also..i need to practice on tapping the pass button and not holding it down all the time. Fast passes mostly dont work.

I've found that in HUT you can't hold it NHL 12 style, but when it comes to any other mode in the demo, you can hold it forever.

Marvie_3

Banned
you already know I'm all over this, I got about 10 prototypes already done, i'll post them later

i0ewGqlmlGlMG.gif

Red_Man

Yea definitely, I've only down it once so far. Seems like it's easier to score top corner if you just come down the middle lane. I think it's to punish defenders who let forwards come down there so easily.

After reading Milly's impressions of Hall & Skinner I went and played around with some of the forwards, and I'm really digging Malkin's build. Perfect balance of speed, shot and ability for what I'm looking for.

Yea definitely, I've only down it once so far. Seems like it's easier to score top corner if you just come down the middle lane. I think it's to punish defenders who let forwards come down there so easily.

After reading Milly's impressions of Hall & Skinner I went and played around with some of the forwards, and I'm really digging Malkin's build. Perfect balance of speed, shot and ability for what I'm looking for.

Stamkos is by far my favorite. So fucking fast and has the ability to snipe/deke the goalie.

Red_Man

Stamkos has a ridiculous shot, but I prefer Malkin's speed and pivoting to Stamkos'.

aight children here are my latest and greatest. Feel free to shit on them as usual, but also keep in mind, I can interchange styles with color combinations so if you like the look of one of them but the colors of another I can make some adjustments.

Per a MOD in the EA Forums absolutely nothing has changed in Create-A-Team/Jersey since last year. I'm at least hopeful the new lighting will allow for some infrequently used colors in the palette to not look like shit this year. Without further ado: (click to enlarge)

KILLA BEES
yelllb.jpg
yelllf.jpg

NOZ SPECIALS
grnf.jpg
grnb.jpg

BLACK RED & BLUE
usaf.jpg
usab.jpg

MINTY FRESH
limef.jpg
limeb.jpg

BLOODY SLEEVES & SOCKS
redf.jpg
redb.jpg

BLUE BLOODS
bluf.jpg
blub.jpg

GREEN ARCH
grnblkf.jpg
grnblkb.jpg

STANDARD ARMY
armyf.jpg
armyb.jpg

TEAL & GOLD
oref.jpg
oreb.jpg

Red_Man

Blue / Orange / White and Blue / Black / White look good imo. Others either look too similar to current team jerseys or look like shit. We sticking with the same symbol as last year?

I kinda like the last teal ones, but I can't decide if they look too much like the Shark's jerseys or not.

Blue / Orange / White and Blue / Black / White look good imo. Others either look too similar to current team jerseys or look like shit. We sticking with the same symbol as last year?

I kinda like the last teal ones, but I can't decide if they look too much like the Shark's jerseys or not.

nah man we gotta retire the Clogger and go with something else

Red_Man

Ah k, well no cowboy pls....brings back memories of a lot of glitching teams.

Marvie_3

Banned
As it always is with your jerseys Viz:

jvyZuhvrUN5Lq.png

Kidding. Some are pretty decent.

GAF ones need more orange on the dark jersey. Something like these I made these last year:
CXBz9.jpg

(ignore the yellow ones. aborted those halfway through)

BLOODY SLEEVES & SOCKS - I like the colors but those look like XFL jerseys.
GREEN ARCH - Like the colors here too but I hate those arch jerseys.
TEAL & GOLD - Best ones you made but that greenish color is a bit weird.

I'll dig up some of the ones I made last year since I don't have 12 anymore.

Red_Man

GAF ones are currently my favourite. I like using red / black / white as a color scheme, but the ones you have made up look too much like Sens jerseys, gonna have to switch up the jersey style.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
I like the Noz Specials, but then I'm not a fan of darker colors. Everything else is dark red, dark green, dark blue, dark purple, dark orange, dark yellow. I get that we're bad but does everything have to be funeral appropriate/nearly indistinguishable from black shades?

feedback noted, seems like none of my designs are winners

Marv has his own distinct style and I have my own, between the two of us I think we've almost exhausted all the options after 2 years of the same system with our ways of doing things.

Someone else probably needs to play around in the jersey editor and come up with some new ideas or we can look for an existing team's jerseys/logo that everyone agrees upon. I'm open to suggestions so long as they are not that shitty eagle or marvin the martian look-a-like silver knight you guys have used in the past.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it

Marv has his own distinct style and I have my own, between the two of us I think we've almost exhausted all the options after 2 years of the same system with our ways of doing things.

Someone else probably needs to play around in the jersey editor and come up with some new ideas or we can look for an existing team's jerseys/logo that everyone agrees upon. I'm open to suggestions so long as they are not that shitty eagle or marvin the martian look-a-like silver knight you guys have used in the past.

Your images actually weren't loading when I was looking but they are now. I like all of yours except the last two

Red_Man

Alright working on some now, I'll post them later tonight or tomorrow. No guarantees they'll be much better then shit.

Marvie_3

Banned

Pretty much. I make normal colored shitty jerseys and you make weird colored shitty jerseys.

Mix your GAF one and the one I posted in response and I think we have a winner.

If we could actually use the HPK logo, it would be our logo. Permanently. End of discussion. Foot is down.

But since it'll never happen we have to use the junk logos they have now. What the hell logo can we even use for NBPK anyway?

well if that's the case they will slot in nicely underneath mine and aboves Marv's...
The totem pole of shit.

Red_Man

Here's my attempt, lots of dark one's and Black ones, I just think they look better. I didn't bother with socks and all that shit, if you guys want to get better views of the back and what not I'll take more screenshots tomorrow. I still prefer Viz's GAF and icey blue ones but here's some diversity anyways

1&2
Ke1We.jpg

3&4
Z1UzN.jpg

5&6
cVieO.jpg

7&8
rHZL6.jpg

9&10
vGA9F.jpg

Colors are definitely saturated in these pictures too, shitty EA at their best.

Top Bottom