• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Born Penalty Killers (NHL 13 EASHL)

Montresor

Great op Marvie. And wow at Red_Man's stats. He became a juggernaut.

Im not here to request a join (since I suck and also lose interest too quickly, as shown in past 2 seasons). Just saying hi. =)

Legit only one you made that catches my eye is #1, the Red and Navy ones. That look has some promise even if the colors change.

Noz I actually like the black pink blue ones, I don't use pink in mine as the team hasn't reacted well to it in the past. The green ones, well I'm gonna plead the 5th rather than hurt your feelings telling you what I think about them :)

It's a shame they'll be using Pro mode for EASHL this year since it seems like the default mode is way more realistic and fluid.

Pro mode makes my guys skate and turn like Frankenstein. Half the time when I hold LT he just stares in the opposite direction instead of facing the puck.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Noz I actually like the black pink blue ones, I don't use pink in mine as the team hasn't reacted well to it in the past. The green ones, well I'm gonna plead the 5th rather than hurt your feelings telling you what I think about them :)

<3 Yeah they're not meant to be put to a vote. Both were originally the result of me trying not to make something that was just black and red and then me not wanting to bother to go through the whole process again for the other jersey.

You should know I lost my feelings in Operation Firestorm.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Legit only one you made that catches my eye is #1, the Red and Navy ones. That look has some promise even if the colors change.

I was trying to get a good scheme going with Red as the primary color but it's a lot more difficult then it looks. All the other logo's are pretty shit too.

Red_Man

Check the games played. :p
pKaSx.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
OH MY FUCKING GOD. I suggest everyone to atleast to go back and play NHL 12. Holy shit I am twice the player now seeing how I am making such better desciobs with the puck and trying to use everyone in my team instead of rambo style. I just killed this kid 5-0 on versus and I usually suck at versus.

Milly79

OH MY FUCKING GOD. I suggest everyone to atleast to go back and play NHL 12. Holy shit I am twice the player now seeing how I am making such better desciobs with the puck and trying to use everyone in my team instead of rambo style. I just killed this kid 5-0 on versus and I usually suck at versus.

cool story

Blinding

I'm trying to decide if I want to focus on hitting again or if I actually want to be able to shoot and hit the net, hmm.

Red_Man

Viz posted a video in this thread on how to do it. Takes a couple tries to figure it out.

moop1167

The only thing I don't like about the chop is, if you do it when competing for a puck the other guy may time it wrong and do just a poke check which has a quicker animation and you'll wind up not getting it.

Ha, I guess. Hopefully Viz will make up for the lack of hitting montages.

doubtful, now that the poke check is OP I may never hit anyone ever again

I ordered the game today. Definitely interested in playing with you guys.

read the OP and post your info

things have changed, we are pretty much full right now and are capping the roster this year. There are only 1 or 2 spots are open right now and you will need to tryout to make the team. You will also need to be active as well to stay on it.

If all of that doesn't sound possible there are other alternatives as there should be at least 1 other GAF Club this year. I know you are familiar with the GAF Madden/NCAA guys, you might want to check in with them when the game comes out as they have said they are taking anyone interested.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I still don't see what's wrong with everyone being on the team and just the "best" people having dibs if too many people are on. As long as you prove in tryouts that you're not totally incapable i don't see what the problems is with having e.g. 10 forwards on the team.

Either:

Now: you restrict beforehand, and the might some nights not have full teams while people who weren't allowed to be on the team want to play but can't.

Otherwise; you'll never have non-full teams most likely, and if too many people are on then you just host a "best team" and the others don' play - same as if they weren't on the team anyway. But they could still play if there is space.

Unless you're so eager about it that you say "we rather have AI play on our team than someone who's not a top6 forward on our team.

Red_Man

We had 15+ people on the club last year and only 6-7 regulars. Our top guys are on every night pretty much, it won't be an issue.

Blinding

Someone can take my spot until I actually get my copy, since I'm still not sure when that'll happen. Damn money issues.

I still don't see what's wrong with everyone being on the team and just the "best" people having dibs if too many people are on. As long as you prove in tryouts that you're not totally incapable i don't see what the problems is with having e.g. 10 forwards on the team.

Either:

Now: you restrict beforehand, and the might some nights not have full teams while people who weren't allowed to be on the team want to play but can't.

Otherwise; you'll never have non-full teams most likely, and if too many people are on then you just host a "best team" and the others don' play - same as if they weren't on the team anyway. But they could still play if there is space.

Unless you're so eager about it that you say "we rather have AI play on our team than someone who's not a top6 forward on our team.

It's not up for discussion.

Marv, I and others have thought this through going back to the middle of last season and feel this is best way to go, due to problems that we've had doing things the "old way", which is the way you are proposing. You're way off the mark with your assumptions on how active players on this club are, but that's what happens when you ASSume.

Smiley90

It's not up for discussion.

Marv, I and others have thought this through going back to the middle of last season and feel this is best way to go, due to problems that we've had doing things the "old way", which is the way you are proposing. You're way off the mark with your assumptions on how active players on this club are, but that's what happens when you ASSume.

Loving the capitals in the last word.

Are the madden-gaf people still reading here? I just wanna play.

Red_Man

Also this made me laugh so damn much. Great thread, reading the cards was great. love the ditch digging part :lol
Holy shit I forgot about the ditch digging jokes :lol :lol I was wondering what your card was about..

Loving the capitals in the last word.

Are the madden-gaf people still reading here? I just wanna play.
He's just making a point, a lot of these guys have been in this club for a lot of years, so to just come in and tell them how to run it isn't the best idea. We've had a lot of ups and downs last season, and we're learning from them.

Red_Man

Bliinding is a huge halo fan and remember the one game he had to leave cause his horses escaped? :lol

Red_Man

Probably walked away to get a beer or 12

:lol :lol Revs avatar, beautiful.....No more poutine grease on my controller and mic, I'm getting new ones and I have a new fiber connection so I'm not lagging out 3 times a game!

Revenant

judging by the looser puck i have no doubt i'll have some fantastic rube goldberg goals to wow you guys with this year as well!

Smiley90

Holy shit I forgot about the ditch digging jokes :lol :lol I was wondering what your card was about..

He's just making a point, a lot of these guys have been in this club for a lot of years, so to just come in and tell them how to run it isn't the best idea. We've had a lot of ups and downs last season, and we're learning from them.

I wasn't trying to tell them/you how to run it, I was just wondering why it was the way it was. If "not up for discussion" and ASSume are the answer, then I'll take that as an answer, as much/little as I like it. Sorry if it seemed as if I was trying to tell everyone what to do, but I was really just wondering what was wrong with the "old" system/the system I proposed, not really reason to go full high horse on me....

I was just looking for some fun/somewhat competitive play and wondering why people would get turned away if there's space - if they get turned away "because that's how we made the rules" then... Well.

I wasn't trying to tell them/you how to run it, I was just wondering why it was the way it was. If "not up for discussion" and ASSume are the answer, then I'll take that as an answer, as much/little as I like it. Sorry if it seemed as if I was trying to tell everyone what to do, but I was really just wondering what was wrong with the "old" system/the system I proposed, not really reason to go full high horse on me....

I was just looking for some fun/somewhat competitive play and wondering why people would get turned away if there's space - if they get turned away "because that's how we made the rules" then... Well.

Don't be looking for a legitimate answer. You won't get one.

At any rate, I'm looking to head up a second GAF team for whoever's left after they fill up. I'll probably look more into a name/roster after they fill the last few positions.

Red_Man

It came off that way, sorry if you were misinterpreted. The thing is like Vis said, we've tried the way you are talking about it and it just doesn't work out well for the club. You get 15-20 people in it, only 5-6 ever stay past the first month or two, and then when you have an open policy it allows people to just come in and take existing spots and mess with chemistry, and regulars have to sit out. The way we're doing it this year allows those who are serious to play to their strengths and have the most competitive club possible. Tryouts are there, and like Marvie said spots will probably open soon, it's not really a big deal.

Don't be looking for a legitimate answer. You won't get one.

At any rate, I'm looking to head up a second GAF team for whoever's left after they fill up. I'll probably look more into a name/roster after they fill the last few positions.

all of your "legitimate answers" have been spelled out in this and the Slot Cloggers thread, but I'll be generous this one time and give you all a recap:

• we are not carrying players who are not going to be active. This has caused problems over the past two years. That 1 day a month or 1 week a year they decide to hop on and play, they end up:

A) taking a spot away from someone who contributes time and effort forcing them to sit. (we used a fair system last year for who needed to sit when too many people were on and it didn't work at all)
    B) being really rusty / unfamiliar with EASHL which in many cases ends up costing us wins due to their lack of execution as most games against decent teams come down to very few opportunities
    C) throwing off the chemistry, due to them not knowing how to play effectively with others on the club, not knowing others tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.​
  • all of this usually makes for pretty frustrating experience for the others

• so, players will need to be active, which means we need to cap the roster at some smallish number where they are enough people so we have flexibility and people online to field a good-sized team, but significantly less than the 25-30 that we've carried the past two years. There's no way we can keep a 25 man roster and everyone be active. Everyone gets all hype this time of year and swears they will play all the time and then when the holiday games roll around half are gone playing COD and Halo. These people aren't wasting our time this year, find another club, there are plenty of others and maybe even other GAF ones...

• lastly we started getting rid of people who just aren't good enough in the middle of last year and now we've decided to do quality control up front. As is mentioned, we are not a beginner club, I'm not gonna say we are the greatest or some elite bunch, but everyone who got an automatic invite this year can hold their own, and those we didn't get invited back cannot in the opinions of the few people that run the club. Most of us have played at least 2 full years together and have aspirations for winning more than we have in the past.

Top Bottom