• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

Corto

I'll be up for one slot in another 4-pack if someone from USA can arrange for it. I'll insta paypal and even throw a mystery gift for a little game that ends in TA 2 and starts with DO. I won't give any more hints though.

Sykane

If anyone else is setting up a 4 pack and needs another let me know, i've been reading about the game for the last couple days and I'm ready to pull the trigger

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is truly amazing, such a breath of fresh air after all these stale multiplayer modes in other games.

MoosiferX

Got the opportunity to play quite a bit last night (I'd played during the Beta a bit, but that was before they'd fixed a lot) and really enjoyed what I played! I still think the NS community is one of the best gaming communities on the planet.

This is a silly question, but nobody on GAF here ever played the original NS on the "TeamHoward" server did they? We hosted a server for a long time, and had quite an awesome group of players.

Is there a way to exit an exosuit?

No. It is meant to be a permanent upgrade. It has the trade off of no longer being able to do marine things.

Just had a 61 minute game as khammander. Lost after about 25 minutes but the marines were incompetent imo.

Oldass gamers Mr. P server is great. I recommend we gaffers hand there (euro gaffers that is!).

bdrob

Oldass gamers Mr. P server is great. I recommend we gaffers hand there (euro gaffers that is!).

Was playing on the OAG server earlier tonight, it is indeed very good.

Had some great games tonight as Kharrmander, this game is just so much fun. Joined one deadlocked with Exos and Onos at over 70 minutes. So I jumped in the comm chair and they kept killing one hive and we'd rotate round to another. They'd swing round the other side and we'd take back the one we just lost. Then, after some faffing, I dropped both hives at the same time and built a forward bases. While the rines went for one of the hives we pushed in their front door with a couple of Onos'. While they double backed and dealt with the Onos' I dropped a load of cysts and whips.

By the time the Onos were down the whips had matured and proceeded to take out the power node and then wreak havok on what remained. It was glorious.

TheFallen

Runs beautifully on my PC. Played a handful of matches on rookie servers and had a blast. I have to say, the community (at least these servers) has been great. People are being helpful and laughing at the craziness.

sp3000

I think this betrays GAF's self identified image as "hardcore" gamers, though.

I mean, I'm not quite sure what "hardcore" means, but surely "a love of hard games with complex, distinct mechanics" would be among the qualifications. Similar to GAF's relative disinterest in RTS games or complex strategy games a la Hearts of Iron.

GAF seems to largely prefer easier games (With occasional exceptions like Dark Souls) and games with well tred mechanics that they are already highly accustomed to. I'm not saying that's bad, but it hardly strikes me as "hardcore." Just as it's okay to only play games like Wii Sports and Plants Vs. Zombies (both of which I think are good games, personally), but self identifying as "hardcore" in those circumstances would seem odd.

In short: I don't think I quite understand what "hardcore" means anymore. Most of GAF doesn't personally strike me as such, but I apparently don't strike most of GAF that way, either.

GAF has terrible taste in games. The majority of this forum is always going on about how big budget games are taking over the industry and then spend all their time playing them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Adamm

an Ono soloed 3 exos in one of my game in a 1v3. It was ridiculous.

Fun game. The game just runs really trashy.

but yet I've seen an onos took down by 2 normal marines. I got a score of 70 kills and 6 deaths using nothing but a jetpack and shotgun, I seen several onos die & not one got me.

I've always although natural selection must be the hardest game to balance, because a single good alien can completely destroy the marine team - but most people aren't very good at playing alien.

But personally I think the fade needs buffed :p

Pikelet

but yet I've seen an onos took down by 2 normal marines. I got a score of 70 kills and 6 deaths using nothing but a jetpack and shotgun, I seen several onos die & not one got me.

I've always although natural selection must be the hardest game to balance, because a single good alien can completely destroy the marine team - but most people aren't very good at playing alien.

But personally I think the fade needs buffed :p

I kind of like the fade where he is. Such a fantastic hit-and-run unit, and so fun to play. Incredibly weak versus exosuits though, i'd rather be a skulk in that situation.

SparkTR

Right now the most frustrating thing about the game is new commanders who, for whatever reason, don't research phasetech or get upgrades. If you have over 100 team res you're doing something seriously wrong.

Right now the most frustrating thing about the game is new commanders who, for whatever reason, don't research phasetech or get upgrades. If you have over 100 team res you're doing something seriously wrong.

tell them what to do and be polite about it. That is what NS is all about! Its community is the game as much as the game is itself.

Pikelet

I've gotten a few of those. They always seem to want to build turrets before anything else, despite them being almost useless. Luckily those games tend to end really quick anyway, and it's quite a feat that I have yet to hear any super-negative comments toward the noobs.

SparkTR

tell them what to do and be polite about it. That is what NS is all about! Its community is the game as much as the game is itself.

I try to, it's surprisingly hard to convey that info without a mic though, and a lot of the time they don't seem to respond to suggestions.

bdrob

i5-750 @ 3.7
gtx 670ftw
8gb of ram.

AO and bloom are turned off, everything on/high.

Are you playing on servers with a low ping?

I know during the beta framerate was linked in some way to your ping (something to do with how the game updates), so if you played across the pond it could be quite painful.

Also check VSync, tearing > low framerate.

tci

Do we have some Steam group for this? I've played public but people are terrible. Not fun like in the betas.

grate

I have one copy from a four pack left, $18.75 via PayPal.

PM me if interested and I will send my PayPal info to you.

vocab

Are you playing on servers with a low ping?

I know during the beta framerate was linked in some way to your ping (something to do with how the game updates), so if you played across the pond it could be quite painful.

Also check VSync, tearing > low framerate.

Ya I was playing on a low ping server. Models were skipping everywhere in this one server. And I always turn vsync off in any fps game.

I always get 40-30 fps in high infestation and big fights. Really annoying.

i5-750 @ 3.7
gtx 670ftw
8gb of ram.

AO and bloom are turned off, everything on/high.

That system should be having a much better time with this. I am running 470 SLI with an i7 at 4.2 Ghz and I basically coast at 60-80 wit the worst at about 50fps when it goes to shit. that is with everything ON. Do you have texture streaming on or off?

Do we have some Steam group for this? I've played public but people are terrible. Not fun like in the betas.

Join up on a good serious server. Namely any of the clan servers depending upon your continent

SparkTR

RPS put up a nice article about the development of this game. I have to admit development was pretty rough, game-breaking imbalances (like the early flemthrower) were in pretty much every build until the final months, and the performance was beyond horrible. I'm really happy things turned out for the better.

vocab

That system should be having a much better time with this. I am running 470 SLI with an i7 at 4.2 Ghz and I basically coast at 60-80 wit the worst at about 50fps when it goes to shit. that is with everything ON. Do you have texture streaming on or off?

Off.

I blame my 670. I hated the card since I got it.

Off.

I blame my 670. I hated the card since I got it.

Turn Texture Streaming On. Make sure multicore rendering is on. Create a profile for the game in NVCP and make sure prefer performance, single display, and threaded optimization are set to override ON. There are a couple other tweaks.

What I would recommend is just opening up the game and turning on and off settings and recording your FPS on a listen server to check out what is affecting your performance the most. I imagine atmospheric and AO are the hardest hitters next to shadows (these are necessary though). Bloom should not be a big deal.

So I'm trying to get an idea of what this game is. I've watched a few videos and what I have pieced together is that it's an RTS except you play as the aliens/soldiers being in the combat as more of an FPS. I think you take over points called reactors which you help your team progress closer and closer to the enemy base. I've also noticed that you can build structures like turrets, teleports, and generators, but it seems like a waypoint shows you where to start building them. So generators can only be build at specifc spots on the map which then allow you to build pre-designated turrets around it?

That's all I have gathered so far, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm not usually one for RTS games, but I think I could get behind this. I'll have to see if it goes on sale around the Steam Holiday sales.

Top Bottom