• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's especially interesting because so many of the moderators on this site are, in way or another, niche PC gamers.

I most certainly am, this game included. Kabouter is. Evilore is a dedicated PC gamer. Tekno is in this thread too. I suppose it's a testament to our objectivity that we have no deliberately forced the community to bend to our proclivities.

When I get back we have another game we can group up and decimate others in. Team GAF assemble.

Pikelet

Started to get the hang of Skulk today. Jumping and biting. Still can't quite get the hang of running around on the ceilings and and attacking.

When running towards an enemy, jump against a wall whilst moving forward, then quickly jump back down. This gives you a small speed boost and makes you harder to hit. You always want to be circling around them to disorient them and attacking their back in a 1v1 scenario.

SparkTR

Started to get the hang of Skulk today. Jumping and biting. Still can't quite get the hang of running around on the ceilings and and attacking.

If you haven't already, bind jump to your side mouse button so you don't have to take your thumb off WASD.

Everyone should be invited! I was thinking about having a meet and greet game session this evening (EU time). Anything that you guys can do.

tci

I was just checking the group. I'm up for it :)

edit: I've changed my profile name to TCi now so that the GAF name is the same, mostly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If you haven't already, bind jump to your side mouse button so you don't have to take your thumb off WASD.

I must know where your thumb is on your hand.

because you can't move forward and backward at the same time, you can use your middle finger for w and s and leave your thumb on the space bar. Ring finger goes on a. Pinky works overtime.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah. I just have my ring, middle and index on WASD, my thumb on space, and my pinky operates the left side.

Thumb, index and middle on WASD seems incredibly uncomfortable.

zou

I recommend people check out pro games being cast by blind. he has a great sense of the game and pretty much understands all decisions being made. Also the teams playing are usually very good. This should give new players a sense as to how intense the game really is and how it can be played (will tech you some things too!)

Link to the stream (currently live scrim)

The best team now is probably archaea, then inversion, duplex and nxzl being in there somewhere.

Funny, half those players are from 1.04 (and 2.0).

Makes me want to get back in the game :/

yeah, though haven't installed it yet.

did they include co_ maps or is it all classic ns?

no official co_ or co_ maps (there is a mod though and modded maps). It is all NS2 game mode. There is also an NSclassic mod without the additions of ns2

I find the lack of CO a good thing

bdrob

Been doing a lot of Khaarmanding today and I really enjoy it, but it is so terribly annoying when I pop out for two minutes to go gorge and build the second hive only for someone else to jump in and proceed to do nothing >.<

Still, this game is so fantastic. That stream you linked to Dictator93 is from a gather group called ENSL, which is kind of perking my interest.

jediyoshi

Best mod incoming

9pDZ6.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106332356

zou

Hm, just installed it and played a few rounds. Nice to see them keeping some of the old maps (ns_veil!) as well as the sounds. Miss BH. And don't necessarily see why the game is so demanding. Once you get rid of the clutter it doesn't even look that much better. Hell, on my crappy laptop is looks about the same, except it performs like shit ;)

Not sure if I'm gonna pick this one up.

bdrob

I have noticed when the map changes servers tend to empty, which makes it really annoying and hard to get a good game going from the start.

I just bailed out of a game as Marine Comm because 10 minutes in it was still a 3v3 with each of us controlling half the map. That may not sound too bad but this is exactly what causes the 1 - 2 hour stand offs as both teams have researched all the tech within 15 minutes due to insane res flow and a lack of combat / losses.

The early game really sets the tone for how it's going to develop; I'm fine with long games (in fact I prefer them) so long as they evolve naturally and there are still things to do constantly. Being left alone for 10 minutes while each team turtles is not my idea of fun ...

Maybe there needs to be a mod on servers which allows the players to vote for a restart to the 'warm up' if the team numbers increase substantially.

The game needs a surrender button. So much unnecessary long games.

F4 is a way to surrender. Every f4s. An old NS1 thing

Hm, just installed it and played a few rounds. Nice to see them keeping some of the old maps (ns_veil!) as well as the sounds. Miss BH. And don't necessarily see why the game is so demanding. Once you get rid of the clutter it doesn't even look that much better. Hell, on my crappy laptop is looks about the same, except it performs like shit ;)

Not sure if I'm gonna pick this one up.

Sorry to hear about your perfomance.
What are your laptop specs? perhaps I could help you get it to run better

The game is performance hog, which it really shouldn't be considering its a bunch of corridors. Though it's mainly cpu related because I have 0 ms wait time on the gpu.

Hopefully their particle optimization patch will work wonders. Any time there's a group of marines firing my fps drops horribly.

haikira

The game is performance hog, which it really shouldn't be considering its a bunch of corridors. Though it's mainly cpu related because I have 0 ms wait time on the gpu.

Hopefully their particle optimization patch will work wonders. Any time there's a group of marines firing my fps drops horribly.

Yeah. I was playing with a friend today and had some serious problems. I'm running a 2500k clocked to 3.8 and a gtx 670 and it's bringing my rig to it's knees.

I actually tested turning the settings down to 640x480 and putting everything to lowest, which almost made it look a 3ds game and it was still pushing about the same, which was 20fps or lower.

I've downgraded to non beta nvidia drivers, checked temps while the game is running, tested the cpu was running at the correct clock while the game was running and made sure there was nothing weird set in the nvidia control panel.

The thing is, it seems to get progressively worse as i play. Things don't start off too bad. I've also put plenty of time into Max Payne 3 and Battlefield 3 both maxed out this week, without any problems. It's completely baffling.

The good news is, i'm not letting it put me off the game. It's a great game and I've had lots of fun playing it with a friend. I just hope i can get to the bottom of it, or a patch fixes things for me.

vocab

My advice to most people is to play on 16 man servers. The performance and fluidity is night and day compared to the 20+ man servers.

thetrin

I'm definitely going to turn off modeled infestation. It impairs vision for marines, and it eats resources.

But damn, it sure does look nice.

I get about 30 in firefights so it's not huge, but still.

Btw, we need to build a team of 1 good Comm and 11 other players. A good Comm KILLS. I've been cursed with games where the Comm gives up at the worst time. We just need a dedicated Comm.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I find that I can't play comm for more than one game in a row, sometimes two. It's just too frustrating with pubs who only half regard your orders and half bitch about how you aren't giving them exactly what they want when they want it.

thetrin

I had a good game on the alien side with a great comm, and a solid team. Ended up playing mostly Fade and having a blast. Fade is definitely my shit.

I find that I can't play comm for more than one game in a row, sometimes two. It's just too frustrating with pubs who only half regard your orders and half bitch about how you aren't giving them exactly what they want when they want it.

that's why you gotta play with friends that aren't needy idiots. Not that I have that. I just figure that that would be a far more favorable scenario.

Man, this game to 50% less fun due to being released to the public. =(.

I can't comm a game anymore cause no one knows what they're doing. Even giving voice commands is useless.

At least now I can just shoot skulks that run straight at me and bite fools that can't aim at their feet.

Narcosis

GAF, save me from pub games =(

thetrin

Man, this game to 50% less fun due to being released to the public. =(.

I can't comm a game anymore cause no one knows what they're doing. Even giving voice commands is useless.

At least now I can just shoot skulks that run straight at me and bite fools that can't aim at their feet.

Narcosis

GAF, save me from pub games =(

People will learn.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played like 10 hours today. Game is amazing. Poor me just wasted $60 on Halo 4, I will be playing this for months.

I'm definitely going to turn off modeled infestation. It impairs vision for marines, and it eats resources.

Btw, we need to build a team of 1 good Comm and 11 other players. A good Comm KILLS. I've been cursed with games where the Comm gives up at the worst time. We just need a dedicated Comm.

I am (not to brag) pretty darn good at all roles in this game. SO I would happily comm!

Also... the old infestation ran worse for me than the new one. Strange your performance degrades so much around it

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think it would be cool to mod out the emergency lights when generators go down. Fighting the alien swarms in pitch blackness is horrible in a good way.

I think it would be cool to mod out the emergency lights when generators go down. Fighting the alien swarms in pitch blackness is horrible in a good way.

A lot people seem to like this idea. Either that or make the emergency lights less stark in color

thetrin

I am (not to brag) pretty darn good at all roles in this game. SO I would happily comm!

Also... the old infestation ran worse for me than the new one. Strange your performance degrades so much around it

It doesn't degrade that much, but going from 70 to 25 is irritating in firefights when aliens start winning. I haven't tried out the old infestation. I just assumed a texture would hurt my fps less than a model and a texture.

In general, my framerate is great. It's just in some parts it starts to chop some.

Played a great game yesterday that went on for quite some time. I think the whole match ended up being 90 min. Played alien, ran around blinking and killing fools as a fade.

I do feel like the team is more cohesive when playing marines. It could be the constant need to build structures. I've played any number of alien games now where the Comm isn't directing the team enough.

I caved in and bought this today. I tried to join a server, but for the past few tries, I keeping losing connection before I fully get in. Then if I tried refreshing the list it either doesn't or does show every server regardless of what filters I have selected.

To make things worse, when I close the program down I lose internet connection for a few minutes. Anyone else having these problems today or have an idea of how to fix this issue? Not a great first for me, but I'm still itching to try it out.

bdrob

If we could make that 10 and 2 it would be the ideal amount to have for inter-gaf scrimmages :)

I caved in and bought this today. I tried to join a server, but for the past few tries, I keeping losing connection before I fully get in. Then if I tried refreshing the list it either doesn't or does show every server regardless of what filters I have selected.

To make things worse, when I close the program down I lose internet connection for a few minutes. Anyone else having these problems today or have an idea of how to fix this issue? Not a great first for me, but I'm still itching to try it out.

I have the same problems besides the lose internet connection. It usually takes me 5 or so tries to connect to a game and half the time the server browser doesn't refresh.

elfinke

Alright, I think you guys combined with the GBQLEX have convinced me to part with $25 and grab this. NS1 was easily my favourite HL1 mod and this looks great. Any Aussies been playing it? Are there many local full servers? Failing that, is playing with a higher ping on a US still enjoyable?

Xyber

Just did a Fraps benchmark of my fps and here's my result. Started benchmarking when the game started (and not in the lobby) and stopped it when we won. I could never feel that the fps was lower than 60 myself, so the minimum must have happened when I spawned or some crazy stuff happened.
Code:
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
159300,   2149078,  30, 158, 74.125

My specs are i5 2500K @ 4,6GHz, HD6950 2GB (unlocked shaders) with a small overclock, 8GB RAM and Win 8.

Here's my settings. Turning off bloom, ambient occlusion and atmospheric help a lot with the performance.

I heard there's a performance patch incoming soon too, to improve the particles or something.

Top Bottom