• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Navigating the Astral Sea: A NeoGAF Play-by-Post Pathfinder Game

((If no one has spells to contact her from Faerun and going back is an option, then sure, that works for me. May make handling Cecil afterwards more difficult though. I doubt she can just hand-wave the encounter with Cecil, so we'll probably have to come back and deal with him at some location besides the initial meeting point.))

"Now it makes sense why the Raven Queen would send us," Ozzang'ac deduces now understanding that there is no malicious intent behind the scenes, "Cecil had effectively destroyed her artifact. He is no true heir to godhood." Seeing the faded sphere makes Ozzang'ac realize that this power is now lost and will never be used to save his people. He dejectedly gives up on the idea inwardly.

"I do agree with retreating to the Astral Sea to regroup and come up with a plan. Based on how much we know now, we're in grave danger."

It would seem that the Tear was used by Romarg as the source of his lich powers
<Called it. Was obvious the moment we found out Romarg was a Lich. Pretty much confirmed when the curator never told us the Phtychery was destroyed.>

so you guys are going to set up camp outside somewhere.
<Can we just get away from the tomb and return to the Maelstrom?>

As the party discussed returning to the Astral Sea, Ciel has an epiphany. "A trip back may not be necessary after all. The Raven Queen has already demonstrated that she observes us during our missions. She may well already know everything that's happened on here and be receptive to a mundane call. Normally the accords would stop her from appearing in the field with us, but as she stated during the briefing, the accords and its rules don't apply here. By all means, if she doesn't respond to us, then let's go back, but we may be able to save ourselves a good deal of back and forth."

Once the party is situated, if no one objects to his proposal, Ciel calls out, "We need to speak regarding our mission, Raven Queen. If I'm not mistaken, there should be nothing preventing you from appearing before us."

"Actually, I would like to at least get Jonna, Scraw, and Viss' servants back to safety. Our cover was blown by the mind reading so we can't continue the carnival."

<I'm trying to get us back to the Astral Sea so that the new player can get into the game quicker.>

((Oh yeah, I blanked on that. That makes sense then.))

"Pfft, safety? Unless Cecil was just inspired by the way I handled things with his guards, I doubt he'll be gunning for servants. Seems unnecessary to me."

As it becomes evident that more of them want to return than not, he sighs. "Oh, all right. It shouldn't be too much of a detour anyway."

Mike M

Nick N
((Fleshbane's good either way, no matter what we decide he needs to take a long rest to heal up all that damage he took))

Nezumi

((Viss also would not have any objections against a return trip to the observatory. Getting Shirox and Pilari back safe is also important to her, even if she is still slightly pissed at Shirox :D))

After a brief regrouping safely outside of museum grounds, and possibly some time spent resting, the party takes to the skies to return to the Phoenix Maelstrom.

The caravan took five days to travel from the airship to Evrai, but with a leaner crew and the ability to travel as the crow flies, Menek estimates that it will take about a day to return to the safety of the Phoenix Maelstrom.

They are not given a day.

Two hours after the meeting was supposed to have happened, high above the landscape of the Kingdom of Evrai, Cecil Fairhaven materializes in front of the party, also airborne, and in a standing position with his arms crossed. He is directly in their path.

"I am a patient man," he says, his voice supernaturally amplified to be clearly heard by everyone, even with the wind in their ears. "But you all are certainly testing the limits of my patience.

"You have broken our agreed-upon meeting arrangement, after raiding my museum and scaring my people half to death. Now you scour the countryside, looking for who-knows-what, and are allowing two extremely dangerous psychopaths to roam free in my kingdom. The situation is not beyond salvageable, and we can still hold our meeting if you are willing to be reasonable, but first I must ask: What do you have to say for yourselves?"

((I say give a big speech, those are always fun. So long as this post didn't fuck it up, which it shouldn't have))

Ciel looks at Cecil with a bit of irritation on his face. First everything goes to the nuthouse in the crypt with the Raven Queen seemingly sending them to clean up their own mess, and now Cecil is becoming a flying pain in the ass just so he can keep doing as is expected of a paladin before they can ask the Raven Queen what the meaning of all this is. Hoping to just get Cecil down to business, he responds with the appropriate brusqueness for an agitated assassin.

"Anything I say, you're liable to write off as the blathering of a psychopath, so I'll keep this short. You said you read our minds, and if that's true, you know damn well why we're here and more importantly, who sent us. Not only should that have you on notice, it should tell you exactly what we were looking for, and what we found that would have us cutting our meeting with you- one in which you probably had a trap set for Fleshbane and I, mind you- to go back to where we came from with such urgency. Now, we can bullshit around for a while as you listen for an appropriate apology from someone you actually want to hear it from, or we can get down to hashing out how to resolve this matter."

Ciel makes no effort to hide his exasperation, but keeps his words just vague enough to see if he can bait Cecil into revealing whether or not he overstated what he knows of their purpose.
Diplomacy (Or Intimidate if more appropriate, Same Modifier for Both): 1D20 + 23 = [4]+23 = 27

"The entire reason I'm here is to resolve this matter," says Cecil. "I had intended to do so last night, but Sir Intart requested that we put it off until today.

"Your failure to show yourselves at the designated time has put a damper on things, but I will overlook that and ask that we get down to brass tacks, so to speak.

"You are here to ask that I stop resurrecting my people when they perish. I am here to hear out your petition, as is the proper decorum that a ruler should observe when allowing an audience from a diplomatic envoy.

"I have not scanned your minds since our initial meeting, out of respect for your station, so I cannot claim to know your reasons for invading my museum, nor your findings. If you wish to share, be my guests; if not, then make your case and be quick about it, so that we may put this tiresome business behind us."

Nezumi

Viss circles above the group because, unfortunately, it is the only thing she can do in her current position. She curses herself for not having the foresight of transforming into an animal with better fighting abilities. She could try to change forms in midair but chances are she will crash to the earth before she can change back into something with wings. Not to mention that Cecil had every reason to interpret such an action as an attack.

But since she feels like she should do something, she casts beastspeak onto herself. Just in case she might feel the need to say something later.

Ozzang'ac gently floats towards the powerful figure, bravely elevating up to his altitude. He levitates face to face with the man- he is confronting Cecil directly.

He speaks with a calm tone, his voice gentle, "Your highness.. It pains me to say that you won't be able to save everyone. It is only a matter of time before your powers are lost.." The large elemental dips his head slightly, explaining, "You must realize that you are using a power that does not belong to you.. a miracle that was not meant to be. The truth is.. though we had thought we were simply reversing your resurrections, we are in fact returning what is properly the Raven Queen's."

"Please.." he begins, "Gaze into my mind willingly. There is much I want to show you that I cannot express in words."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1YxczPEPrs

If his mind is read, Cecil will begin to see visions of Ozzang'ac's life as a Royal Guard through the ages in a setting that is almost painted as a sea life themed version of Evrai- from the first Cagnazzo to the twelfth, to the twenty-second. Over time, Cecil can see the kingdom change, he can see figures pass away but others take their place, he can witness a tyrannical ruler and an iron grip change to a youthful king loved by the prosperous people. Ozzang'ac explains, "Death is a necessary part of the world. It allows change to happen, people to take the place of others and make a difference where there was no hope before. I have seen many come and go, but each person is a little bit different each time."

Soon a terrifying image will fill Cecil's mind- an unspeakable abomination of epic proportions crashing down on the kingdom, "But sometimes, death is painful. I spend every waking day wishing I could have done something about it.." The mighty demigod will then feel the agony of the eons spent lost in the astral sea as the elemental conveys it in his mind. Soon, he will see a godly woman speak from Ozzang'ac's memories:

"For you, saving your people is impossible. Most gods lack the power to do so, and those that wield such power would not use it for such a selfish pursuit. Rest easy to know there is nothing you could have done, nor anything you can do, to save them from destruction."

"It was then I knew that I was forced to accept the death of my people.. But perhaps it was meant to be; unlike all around me, I was unchanging, unflinching. My purpose was always the same, to protect and guard the King. Perhaps it was meant to be that this led me to my new purpose and standing before you at this very moment. I admit, I wish I had your power so that I could undo the destruction laid onto my kingdom, but for once I must change and learn that I am capable of failure."

He finally begins to think about Mystra more, and these thoughts leak into the man's mind:

"I suppose I could be viewed as your mother," she admits, "Though I think that's rather overcomplicating the truth of it. You see, Ozzan'gac, I have no emotional attachment to you. As a creature wrought by my hand and forever incapable of true ascension, you are quite frankly beneath me. But if it please you to consider me your mother - if it enhances your devotion to my desires - then so be it."

"I cannot become a god," he states, "I don't even have a true family. I am simply a being created for a purpose. But you Cecil, you are a human. You have a son that still looks up to you and respects you, you as a human are still capable of godhood even without the Queen's Tear. All you have to do is make things right with the Raven Queen and allow yourself to commune with her."

He finally concludes, "We will return to the Astra Sea once our job is done, and that includes taking Fleshbane and Ciel with us. What happens until then is up to you."

Azih

((This can all happen after Cecil responds to Ozzang'ac. Just had some time at the moment so wanted to get the post written out. Might have to change it up based on what Cecil says of course.))

Gulping an extract of Focused Scrutinty as soon as Cecil started materlizing in front of him Menek focuses on the man with god-like powers.

There were two parts to our mission Lord Fairhaven, You are correct that we wished to ask you to stop resurrecting your followers, but we are also charged with finding out how such a thing is possible in the first place. It is this, first part of our mission, that forced us to break our previous arrangement. We found an answer but it... raised.. more questions. We felt it important to treat with our patron before we came back to you. Our apologies for insulting you by breaking our agreement but this demanded it in our judgement.

Menek retrieves the inert orb from his Handy Haversack.

The Power of Life and Death shall be commanded by he/she who wields my Tear
But only he/she who follows the Righteous Path shall know true Divinity.

Menek intones in Celestial

((of course he knows Celestial))

The words of the Raven Queen. The very being who sent us to find out how you have ascended to your station, Lord, we found this divine artefact next to the corpse of your great foe Romarg. We would have preferred to confront her with this before coming back to you but here we are now.

Menek pauses as he studies Fairhaven for his reaction to the revelations.

((Empathy and Focused Scrutiny for Inspired Sense Motive))

1d20+1d8+23=40, 1d20+1d8+23=48

((Taking the 17 and 8 for 48))

and then, a bit hesitantly

We are in your power lord, could you help us shed some light on this mystery? Then we can make our case as to why we would ask you to cease your actions.

((Focused Scrutiny Diplomacy))

1d20+1d8+17=30

Cecil does as Ozzan'gac asks, and after taking the time to fully process what he is seeing, a pained expression comes over him. He extends his arm and carefully rests it on the surface of Ozzan'gac's oversized face. "I am truly sorry for what your creator has done to you," he says remorsefully. "Mystra's cruelty seems to know few bounds. I would never treat my own follower as she has treated you. Do not listen to her, friend; your aspirations cannot be contained by a frivolous word from a callous and inconsiderate 'goddess.' " He says the word with disgust.

"This is yet another item in a long list of reasons that I have turned my back on the Astral Sea. It is full of beings who call themselves gods, and yet are unworthy of the devotion poured upon them by their followers. What right does this Mystra have to tell poor Ozzan'gac that he is incapable of rising above his current station? What right do ANY of these 'gods' have to so fully restrict the desires and capabilities of their charges?

"I say to you, friends: the Astral Sea is a den of thieves, where those at the top revel in excess, at the expense of the ignorant masses who worship them. None should be forced to spend eternity there; there should be another option. And I have created one, for the people. Its name is the Holy Kingdom Evrai, and I stand as its ruler."

After delivering his impassioned speech, Cecil hears Menek's words.

"You are correct: A significant portion of my power originated from the Raven Queen. I know not her intentions for doing so, but she did indeed create an artifact which housed the powers of life and death.

"Such is yet another folly of these 'gods': They recklessly leave dangerous artifacts in their wake on a whim. Her idiocy nearly caused this world to be overrun by a mad, power-hungry necromancer. Upon his defeat, I absorbed the power of this artifact for my own purposes, and never again shall it rest in the hands of an evil or malicious creature."

Menek can tell, beyond any semblance of doubt, that this man wholeheartedly believes everything he just said. His conviction is true.

"Oh sweet Erastil you are actually that... Alright, you want to call the gods, including the two you owe your power too, fair enough. I'm sure we've all had similar feelings at one point or another, but you seem to be forgetting one important fact. They created a set of rules for themselves to protect us, from them. And not just the nice ones, but the ones like Asmodeous and other ones who are far worse. The longer you are here directly affecting the material plane and the more you grow in power while doing so, the more you invite other gods to do the same. The end results of this is a battle between gods, and in such a fight, no matter who wins, we, or rather, your people and everyone else on this planet and possible on this plane, lose. A long, LONG time ago my own world had to deal with that and to this day it is still feeling the effects of it, as even now The Rough Beast is still imprisoned inside of it(interestingly enough, thanks in part too asmodeous... unless you want to change that, but tis probably not all that relevant anyways)." Mako explains, keeping her anger in check.

"You want to be the best god ever? You know, what, I say go for it! But you can't just ignore the rules and do whatever you want and think it will all work out in the end. That is how Ciel thinks. You are better then that, SMARTER then that. So here's an idea. Come with us, speak with the Raven Queen yourself. I'm sure she can explain in great detail why what you are doing with your people's souls isn't a good idea, and after that, perhaps speak to some other gods. Maybe learn WHY they do what they do. Maybe you will still disagree, maybe you will come to understand, but either way you will learn how to be a better god. I'm sure Heironeous would love to meet you quite frankly."

Perform Wind > Diplomacy: (1d20+22=27)
((damn it... I should have used my skill buff spell/s. Also I may have threw in more Pathfinder lore, because I think its fucking sick. Hopefully not a problem.))

"You forget one thing, Lady Mako," Cecil retorts. "I do not consider myself a god, nor do I have any aspiration to become one. I simply uphold and maintain the rule of law within my kingdom. I do not ask for worship; I merely wish to see my people prosper, unshackled from the oppressive, invisible chains cast upon them by the unseen.

"You speak as though the passing of souls into the Astral Sea is some natural phenomenon. Were that so, no spirits would linger here in the mortal plane, and yet it happens time and time again. No: this unnatural phenomenon is merely a tool, created by the so-called gods, such that they have a means to gain dominion over the souls unfortunate enough to be less powerful than them, after they pass from their physical bodies. I believe there is a better way, and I have the means to carry it out."

Lady Mystra, I did not intend for this to happen. I did not intend to slander your name Ozzang'ac thinks, realizing his heartfelt plea is becoming a mistake, "No, that's not the point...! Just..." The elemental becomes flustered, and upset. The conversation had very much been intended for himself as much as Cecil Fairgraven, and he feels as if he was just mocked for it.

"You speak as though the passing of souls into the Astral Sea is some natural phenomenon. Were that so, no spirits would linger here in the mortal plane, and yet it happens time and time again. No: this unnatural phenomenon is merely a tool, created by the so-called gods, such that they have a means to gain dominion over the souls unfortunate enough to be less powerful than them, after they pass from their physical bodies. I believe there is a better way, and I have the means to carry it out."
Ozzang'ac, still very close to Cecil blurts out in clear emotional distress, "Is this not hypocrisy!? You are holding souls dominion just as they are.. You've wrest away a kingdom just as Cagnazzo the first did.. you even used deceit to steal another's followers just as Asmodeus would."

Ciel should be getting increasingly agitated at Cecil's thick-headedness pushing them further away from Heironeous's award, he really should. But watching the others get exasperated while Cecil disregards their arguments is amusing enough to make up for this. For now, he opts to stand back and continue taking in the spectacle, not jumping in unless someone loses their temper and prepares to attack Cecil.

"Okay, now you are just being bullheaded. Not only is souls passing on natural, we know for a fact you are using necromatic magic to stop it from happening. It doesn't get more unnatural then that." Mako replies. "And whether or not you consider yourself a god, you are playing a very dangerous game with this powers, and will only be receiving more unwanted attention in due time I'm sure. Putting yourself, and your people, at great risk."

Nezumi

Even though she feels that her partners have already addressed the most important arguments Viss swoops down from her circling and throws in, "Death is an inseparable part of life. How can one treasure the gift of life without the existence of death? How can life have any meaning when it just goes on and on forever? Your people might love you now, but a time will come when they'll recognize your "gift" to them for the curse it really is."

Mike M

Nick N
Fleshbane manages to laugh as he listens to Cecil’s soliloquy, pieces and components of his construction sparking and falling out of joint as he does so. ((Because we haven’t rested up, right?)) “This one understands the truth of things!” he shouts. “He is the puppet who has grown aware of his strings and severed them! To think we would be of the same mind on such matters, Cecil! Who could have predicted such a thing? The two of us, so diametrically opposed in all ways except that which matters the most.

“But tell me, Cecil, how deep is your conviction? What lengths will you go to demonstrate the truth of your view? Pretenders to the throne or no, you must know that the denizens of the Astral Sea will not allow this to continue, the fact that we lot stand before you is proof enough of this. Those that lord their power over others only respect similar demonstrations of power.

“Certainly, you could strike us down where we stand, but what would that accomplish? Would your ire not be better directed toward one of those you rail against? Perhaps you might dispose of some minor deity of evil and better establish a position of strength.”

Fleshbane sways as he stands, the malfunctioning of his internal gyros and oddly excited speech making it difficult to discern if the damage the construct has sustained is even more severe than it appears or if he has somehow become inebriated.

((Rolling Fleshbane’s really shitty Diplomacy if applicable: 1d20-5=14))

<You know you've failed as a Paladin when a robot whose view on humans is limited to executing and hating them with no definition of parameters outside of that is willing to have a beer with you.>

((You guys got a full night of rest. Fleshbane can get a little bit of healing in))

"Sir Ozzan'gac, my friend... Forgive me for saying so, but your loss of composure betrays your uncertainty. I hope you think carefully on what I've said to you."

To Mako, he shakes his head. "You are a follower of the Old Ways, and I appreciate your reverence for the cycle of life and death, but the only natural part of death is the biology of it. Where the fate of our souls is concerned, things have been anything but natural for a very long time."

To Viss, he smiles. "Lady Viss, do you realize the irony of your words, as an inhabitant of the Astral Sea? A place where all souls exist in perpetuity? How many centuries have you roamed, I wonder?"

Cecil finally shows surprise after Fleshbane speaks. "Were that I could peer into your mind, Construct," he says. "It seems we have more in common than I'd ever thought possible, though I am certain that our motivations couldn't be more different.

"I have little immediate interest in acquiring ever more power. For the time being, I am confident that I can protect my kingdom, and that is enough, until circumstances change. I also have no interest in striking you down, for I must respect your status as diplomats. I did not chase you down to destroy you; it was only to ensure that our business was resolved."

Nezumi

Viss tried to sneer only to find it impossible with a beak. "Centuries? Try a few months. We are in our current " form" for a purpose. We will serve this purpose for a limited time after which we will return to being dead. So no, there is no irony in my words. I might have gotten a chance to be useful a little bit longer. But I don't possesss eternal life and I wouldn't want it were it offered."

Viss tried to sneer only to find it impossible with a beak. "Centuries? Try a few months. We are in our current " form" for a purpose. We will serve this purpose for a limited time after which we will return to being dead. So no, there is no irony in my words. I might have gotten a chance to be useful a little bit longer. But I don't possesss eternal life and I wouldn't want it were it offered."

"Now that you mention it... While I would have given anything to spend more time with my family, this limitations of the 'human' lifespan has never stop them form doing great things before and arguably is a positive trait in many respects."

Nezumi

Viss lands on Mako's shoulder and nods along with the words of the shaman. "Besides, If you really read our minds. How come that you weren't aware of the duration and restrictions of our current assignment? Your mind reading must either be really limited or you just choose to ignore everything that doesnt fit into that little tale you spun for yourself."

((Viss is about to loose her temper. If this conversation goes on, every pretense of diplomacy and politeness will be gone.))

Azih

Menek hefts the spent globe back into his sack.

And what will happen to new life, lord, if you trap and maintain the old in perpetual existence? We have met one of your progeny, Edgar, whose strength of conviction you seem to admire. Would you deny your immortal followers the same joy of starting a family? Of watching children and grandchildren grow? Or would you permit this part of 'The Old Ways' to continue only to witness your population grow locust-like to consume Faerun and fall into despair?

"Only those who perish and are resurrected are unable to conceive further children," Cecil responds. "During each of my citizens' first lives, conception is not only possible, but encouraged. I am aware of the eventual space problem, but it will not manifest itself for centuries, so I am confident that there is ample time to find a solution."

Cecil pauses and looks around to each member of the group. "What I am doing here is no different than what the self-proclaimed gods do in the Astral Sea," he says. "The only difference is that my peoples' souls are brought here, instead of brought there. This boils down to a territory dispute, and forgive me, but I do not intend to willingly give up my territory.

"I am sorry if I have angered any of you; that was not my intent. I want only what is best for my people. I will not change the way I do things for you, nor for anyone else; the very patrons you serve could have come here to see me personally and my answer would be the same.

"If you wish to stop me, then you will have to destroy me. I would rather not fight you, but I WILL defend myself. Otherwise, I will return to my kingdom and live in peace with my people. How this ends is entirely up to you."

Ozzang'ac gives himself a moment to calm down, using the others' words as a smoke to allow time to pass.. Once Cecil sets his final terms, Ozzang'ac warns with a low voice, a hint of his anger still simmering, "We had intended to speak with the Raven Queen about your theft of the artifact's power; the choice to attempt to destroy you is too easy: our deaths would only accelerate our goal in warning the Queen. On the other hand, your death would leave you with no home- perhaps you will wander the Astral Sea like I did until the Raven Queen finds you herself. Yes, you may think ill of Mystra's treatment of me, but what of a goddess even more powerful that you have sincerely wronged: the Heironeous you have abandoned won't save you.. and even the darker gods won't bother with a powerless being."

"It is not up to us. If you truly think that you are doing the same as the gods, then speak to the Queen as the other gods would. If you refuse, then you will seal your fate, and nothing you can do will stop us. Should you truly accept the outcome of us fighting you, then I will tell you: I have survived Balor.. and though my comrades claim you are slightly more powerful.. just slightly, I am inclined to disagree..."

Intimidate: 1D20+22 = [18]+22 = 40

"You look like a shrimp in comparison to Balor.. and you've made the mistake of being where I can swim freely."

<If a battle starts, I put Ozzang'ac next to Cecil.>

Cecil does not flinch at Ozzan'gac's threat. "Physical size is no true measure of power. I am quite certain, for example, that the kraken which destroyed your kingdom would be no match for me. Can you say the same, I wonder?"

Azih

The only solution, Lord Fairhaven, and I believe you know this yourself in your heart of hearts, would be conquest of other lands to support your ever growing population. As well have you not considered the kind of dissolution and decadence that would result from the boredom and apathy that would come with the unnaturally extended existence on the Material Plane that you are providing? Menek makes his final point before waving his hand and changing the subject. ((Dude likes having the last word lol))

But yes, we are merely the representatives of the Queen of Ravens. I am certain that with your almost god like powers you could contact her Plane to request an audience. Would you consent to doing so now so that we may act as intermediaries? If this can be resolved between yourselves then we can leave Faerun in peace.

((I think better cut out the middle man and rather than run back and forth, let the two NPCs talk to each other and, if the Queen gives the kill order we jump him?))

With things appearing to kick towards a violent conclusion, Ciel finds it necessary to speak up one last time. "Slow down guys, I think there's a little more discussion to be had before we do anything hasty."

"Cecil, it's clear you have no intention of changing your mind, and you will write off any further silly cosmological arguments as the hogwash they are. Frankly I find it a bit admirable that you've carved out your own chunk of land and are giving a giant middle finger to the entirety of the pantheon. But I have a few questions expanding on Menek's concerns about the operation of your venture."

"Starting with territory, a lot of the planes gods have souls sent to are infinitely expanding. Faerun... well, isn't. You say you have centuries, but you're operating on an eternal guideline now, and need to think accordingly. Will you conquer your neighbors when the need for more land arises? Or will you create a network of your own personal planes, drawing even more ire from the rather petty folk on the Astral Sea?"

"More important than that, however, is the question of resources. Unless your immortality magic has also removed basic human functions, people still need to eat and drink. What will you do to keep up with the demands of an ever-growing populace since you are actively encouraging it to balloon? An ever-large chain of magic users devoting their entirety to conjuring food and drink? Do you think that there are enough casters to keep up with demand in the long run? If not, will you leave your population immortal but in perpetual agony, caught in a loop of death from starvation and dehydration, doomed to perpetually repeat it? Or, if it turns out that the first resurrection removes such needs the way it does reproduction, will you encourage mass suicide when food becomes a scarcity? And that's not even getting into the hygienic issues of how you'll handle waste removal among such a large population."

"Then of course is the question of how to punish followers that wrong you and your kingdom. This is of course easier than the prior issues, though immortality does give it an interesting twist. The way I see it, you have several options. You can revoke their immortality and condemn them to limbo in the Astral Sea, where they'll eventually be at the mercy of some god you hate. You could execute them multiple times, which seems like good fun to me. There are also torture and centuries in prison, something that could be particularly harsh thanks to frequent resurrections. Last, there is exile out of your kingdom and to another part of Faerun, which is likely to end the same way as condemning them to limbo in the first place. Or you can just not punish people at all and really let things get exciting. As a ruler who must choose and execute some plan, which is the most palatable to you?"

Once he runs out of questions, he stops for a second. "That is hardly a full inquiry, but as a ruler of an eternal kingdom who is seen by his followers as a diety, you must start to think about these kinds of things, or else this venture of yours will fall apart. You have a lot of hard decisions in your future on this road, and I'm curious about how you're going to tackle them."

Ciel doesn't expect much at this point, but if the difficulties of Cecil's approval don't phase him, maybe the sincere approval of shafting the gods from someone like himself will. And if Cecil answers his questions in a way Ciel approves of, that might shake the paladin even more. In any case, Ciel thinks about the possibility of having his mind read further to attack around his questions, and prepares for this by thinking of a greatest hits collection of his most gruesome atrocities whenever he's not talking. If Cecil does probe his mind again, he'll have to wade through a hell of a quagmire to find anything of use.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=94222]Diplomacy: 1D20 + 23 = [15]+23 = 38
[/url]

"Let it never be said that evil is stupid," Cecil says to Ciel. You make some excellent points. However, these are issues to be debated, discussed, tested, retested, and amended over time as needed. They are not problems that require a decision at this very moment. And if you think you'll be able to manipulate me into thinking that I'm entering into a no-win situation, you've severely underestimated me."

Cecil then listens to Menek's request and lets out a bitter laugh. "Sir Menek, surely you must be aware that the Raven Queen is watching and listening to everything we say? Her watchful eye has been upon us during both of our meetings. But if you insist..."

Cecil looks to the heavens. "Here I stand, Raven Queen, among your representatives. I will NOT allow the souls of my people to be wrested into the Astral Sea without their consent. If you wish to speak directly to me about this, you are welcome into my kingdom, and I will even agree to meet you in a neutral location, but my answer to you will be the same as it is to your subordinates."

There is silence from the Raven Queen.

Cecil lowers his head and nods at Menek. "A good day to you all. Send my regards to your patrons."

He attempts to withdraw from Ozzan'gac.

((Cecil is done talking. If you want to fight, roll initiative. Keep in mind that this is not a mandatory fight; I've gotten the impression from your posts that some of you think it is. I'm prepared for either event.))

((I'm all for going back and speaking to the Raven Queen before trying to kill him, but if more people want to fight him than not, I am totally fine with that.

So more in character, Ciel isn't starting the fight, but he'll hardly be upset over the prospect of killing a major paladin if push comes to shove.))

Mike M

Nick N
((I don't think Fleshbane would survive the encounter, and his DPS is kinda shitty due to lack of optimization. I'm sure as a character he would want to throw down, however.))

((Yeah, fucked up paladin demigod who probably has a gigantic arsenal of anti-evil spells means that Ciel and Fleshbane probably aren't surviving this fight. But that's part of the fun of it! XD

And maybe Ciel could get a turn or two of good damage in before becoming a bloody paste.))

Azih

((Withdraw from Menek as well even though this is probably the best shot we have of ambushing Cecil. Menek would want to find out what the heck is up with the Tear from the being who created it and seeing if the Raven Queen has any way of taking the power back. Still alright to jump him, dude probably has unbeatable saves though which takes away most of Menek's debuff abilites.))

Nezumi

((Yeah, Viss might not like the guy and would love to see him thrown off his high horse, but in her current form and without Tessa she would be at an awful disadvantage. Retreat and planning our next move for me as well.))

Nezumi

((I just realized that it has been ten days since jackben has posted something in here. Should we wait a bit for him to make a post? I'm pretty sure Sybil would have an interesting viewpoint of the situation.))

Top Bottom