• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Jarate

Banned
The Warriors main problem is that they are working their ass off for History, and becoming injured and tired in the process. The NBA regular season really should be cut in half or make the season last longer calendar wise to give players time to red
There's a reason why the Playoffs are 400x better then the regular season

Fjordson

Wait, are you guys implying that there's bandwagon fans in the NBA

The NBA is THE Bandwagon fan headquarters. Like half of all fans just root for "players" which basically means that they only root for good teams.
I love bandwagon fans usually. It's a sign your team is winning. But some of the ones they showed on national tv...with the crying and stuff lol. Was a bit dramatic.

Bread

Banned
The Warriors main problem is that they are working their ass off for History, and becoming injured and tired in the process. The NBA regular season really should be cut in half or make the season last longer calendar wise to give players time to red
i wouldn't blame the length of the season, i'd blame the coach for letting records get in the way of what really matters, playoff success.

*not that we know it has gotten in the way of playoff success yet

Gigglepoo

i wouldn't blame the length of the season, i'd blame the coach for letting records get in the way of what really matters, playoff success.

*not that we know it has gotten in the way of playoff success yet

There's a champion every season; no one has won 73 games.

Jarate

Banned
82 games is way too much for how physically stressful the NBA is and with how much travel they are forced to endure, but they arent going to change that at all due TV deals and such

remember the strike shortened season, how much more exciting that was?

There's a champion every season; no one has won 73 games.

73 means nothing without another 16, though.

That said, I would say it's championship or bust for the Warriors, except it wouldn't exactly be choking if they lose to the Spurs in the WCF (assuming it's not 4-0 or 4-1). We have two legitimate all-time teams in the same year. Golden State could go 74-8 and not even make the finals and everybody should be like "understandable."

AcridMeat

Banned
No team has ever gone 41-0 at home.
My bad thought you were referring to the overall record. You're right.
73 means nothing without another 16, though.

That said, I would say it's championship or bust for the Warriors, except it wouldn't exactly be choking if they lose to the Spurs in the WCF (assuming it's not 4-0 or 4-1). We have two legitimate all-time teams in the same year. Golden State could go 74-8 and not even make the finals and everybody should be like "understandable."
This is the most mindblowing part of this season, yeah. It's really a shame that they're both in the western conference.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I wonder about that. I bet their starters average the least amount of minutes in the 4th. They blow out most teams. Sports medicine is at a different level to the 90s.

Jarate

Banned
I wonder about that. I bet their starters average the least amount of minutes in the 4th. They blow out most teams. Sports medicine is at a different level to the 90s.

competition parity is much better though, and most of the effects aren't in "minutes played" it's in the travel, the pace in which you play, how much players try and move around the court

People are a lot faster, stronger and more athletic then theyve ever been, and are forced to train a lot more, and put a lot more stress to compete on a night to night basis.

One of the things Pop does is that he doesn't like his players to do huge dunks and to dunk very often on stuff like fast breaks. It's a waste of energy in his eyes.

These things payoff far down the line.

https://streamable.com/frg4

Look at all that passion and hustle from Draymond on this screen.

He should be on the O-Line for Brady next year..

Too bad that's an illegal block in the NFL.
smugfavre.png

ampere

The regular season should probably be trimmed to eliminate back to back games, but I dunno about cut in half. And possibly make games 40 instead of 48 minutes

CKB3375

Totally. He's playing really well lately... hope it translates to the playoffs.

It honestly makes Demar's free agency less of an urgency for the franchise. I'm not saying Powell = Derozan but he can fill part of that potential loss if the Raps choose to invest that cap space elsewhere.

Jarate

Banned
The regular season should probably be trimmed to eliminate back to back games, but I dunno about cut in half. And possibly make games 40 instead of 48 minutes

But it really only takes like a 40 game sample size to realize the teams that are good enough to win a title. This year, we basically already knew the title was going to be between 4 teams (Thunders, Spurs, Cavs, Warriors)

Cheebo

Banned
It is a complete waste of time to even entertain the idea they would ever shorten the season. It is not even remotely possible to even be considered.

They will never trim games or shorten game length. It's been 82 for decades. The owners would revolt at the loss of revenue. No team would ever vote in favor of that. You could say the same about NHL and MLB seasons, it will never happen in those leagues either for the same reason.

ampere

But it really only takes like a 40 game sample size to realize the teams that are good enough to win a title. This year, we basically already knew the title was going to be between 4 teams (Thunders, Spurs, Cavs, Warriors)

I hardly ever watch regular season games because of how bloated the season is, so I don't think you're wrong, but I also think there's 0 chance they'd go that far with changes. Cutting 10 - 15 games and shortening game length are more real possibilities

They will never ever trim games. The owners would revolt at the loss of revenue. No team would ever vote in favor of that.

Yea, you're probably right. I know some older players like Dirk are in favor of a shorter season, but not like they make the calls.

Jarate

Banned
They will never trim games or shorten game length. It's been 82 for decades. The owners would revolt at the loss of revenue. No team would ever vote in favor of that.

I hardly ever watch regular season games because of how bloated the season is, so I don't think you're wrong, but I also think there's 0 chance they'd go that far with changes. Cutting 10 - 15 games and shortening game length are more real possibilities

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that the loss of revenue would be insane, especially with how important TV contracts are nowadays, I could see owners agreeing to it if they figured out it would lead to a better game (farfetched but possible) but there's no way in hell it will ever happen

Cheebo

Banned
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that the loss of revenue would be insane, especially with how important TV contracts are nowadays, I could see owners agreeing to it if they figured out it would lead to a better game (farfetched but possible) but there's no way in hell it will ever happen

The owners aren't interested in a better game. The amount of money from tv and attendance vastly outweighs quality of game. Not to mention TV ratings have been up recently.

The recent Warriors/Spurs game was the most watched regular season NBA game ever on TNT. Last years finals had the best ratings since the Bulls '98 series. If anything they'd want more games.

Fjordson

That is true. I don't like it, but in reality they'll never take away games. Shit, even the NFL has talked about adding games and their teams are infirmaries come playoff time.

TSM

If Pop rests his players during the last two games against the Warriors he's going to taint the record the Warriors have been working towards all season. He'll especially piss in their pool if he let's the Warriors break the Spurs home win streak in the process. It'll throw a big "who cares, it's the regular season" asterisk on their 73 win season. He's going to get a lot of hate, and he won't care one little bit. It'll be like when the Clips let David Robinson score 71 points in the final game of the 93-94 season to beat Shaq for the scoring title.

Ahh sounds about right

We probably won't stay the 6th seed for too long since our schedule is pretty cake

Meanwhile, Charlotte is staring at a tough finish.

@CLE (Sunday)
@TOR
@NYK
BKN
@WAS
@BOS
ORL

With luck, they can at least hold it to 4-3. Anything more is gravy, but I don't know that 4-3 keeps them in 3 or 4. (I figure the "3" would be the road games with Cleveland, Toronto, and Boston.)

Kevtones

Happy for Charlotte and Batum!

Both Portland and Charlotte made out pretty good in that trade tbh.

Mo Harkless is the certifiable steal this offseason. If Portland can groom him. Fuck.

WoodWERD

Got to watch a few minutes of the Spurs game earlier. Kawhi and Aldridge are really starting to play well together even though the Raps were short handed. But I just read that they were the only ones to score in the 3rd with the rest going 0-12...hopefully that was just complacency.

If Pop rests his players during the last two games against the Warriors he's going to taint the record the Warriors have been working towards all season. He'll especially piss in their pool if he let's the Warriors break the Spurs home win streak in the process. It'll throw a big "who cares, it's the regular season" asterisk on their 73 win season.

I don't think there's a question of the first "if" at this point, Pop doesn't give a damn about the home streak. And the only thing that will taint the Warriors' record is failing to chip imo. They'll never hear the end of it if that happens.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
not at all, but whatever floats your boat all it means is that your organization was too cheap to take advantage of other teams bad contracts. But im glad you're so happy for that
Well you're a feisty one. Nobody wanted to come to Portland. We tried to get various free agents and largely settled for scraps. So yeah, it is impressive.

Top Bottom