• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

You sure? I was always under the impression you can only enter the league through the draft coming out of college. If that was the case couldn't a high-profile draftee just play for a D-League team and go to a big-market team/championship caliber team?

You can come out of high school and go to the D-League instead of college and be eligible the next year for the draft. Similarly, college kids with eligibility issues who miss the draft the prior year can spend time in the D-League before the next draft (see: PJ Hairston got kicked off Carolina during his junior year, went to the D-League before being drafted in 2014).

There seem to be some draft-eligibility questions regarding Maker. If he spent a year in the DL, then it would be moot and he could be drafted in 2017.

The biggest question concerns Maker's eligibility to be drafted. NBA rules state that a player must be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school. Maker turned 19 in February but still attends Orangeville Prep (Canada). Maker's case for eligibility would come down to convincing the NBA that he was a member of the 2015 class and decided to do a post-graduate year. Maker spent eighth grade at Metairie Park Country Day School (Louisiana), then ninth and 10th grade at Carlisle School (Virginia), before moving to Orangeville Prep for the past two years.

Sources said Maker is awaiting official word from the NBA regarding his eligibility but couldn't get an answer until he declared for the draft. Maker and his family expect an answer soon.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
wow if the NBA actually lets this through. I mean he could fall to the end of the first round. His draft stock isn't exactly high right now. Dude could ostensibly fall to the Warriors.

Oh god I would still KILL for a shot at Thon. Celts are brimming with picks this year. Mavs pick should be spent on him, please let this through NBA.

Also nets shutting down thad and brook, they SHOULD lose out the rest of the way, but who knows. Still suns only got 1 or 2 winnable games left.

Bread

Banned
Oh god I would still KILL for a shot at Thon. Celts are brimming with picks this year. Mavs pick should be spent on him, please let this through NBA.

Also nets shutting down thad and brook, they SHOULD lose out the rest of the way, but who knows. Still suns only got 1 or 2 winnable games left.
Mavs pick should be around 12, why waste it on a dude who sucks at basketball? Maker is going to be another Perry Jones.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mavs pick should be around 12, why waste it on a dude who sucks at basketball? Maker is going to be another Perry Jones.

I sincerely doubt it lands at 12. The guy still has good size despite the length, and is a high motor, high energy guy. The upside is still there, so a pick at 16-20 I would see as worth a gamble. Very rarely do you get a leonard out of a pick there. More often it's a james young type.

Bread

Banned
I sincerely doubt it lands at 12. The guy still has good size despite the length, and is a high motor, high energy guy. The upside is still there, so a pick at 16-20 I would see as worth a gamble. Very rarely do you get a leonard out of a pick there. More often it's a james young type.
They're 2 games out of the 12 spot with the Rockets, Clippers, Spurs, Jazz, Grizzlies left on their schedule. You never know where they'll end up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They're 2 games out of the 12 spot with the Rockets, Clippers, Spurs, Jazz, Grizzlies left on their schedule. You never know where they'll end up.

That's why I said if it's 16-20 they should pull the trigger. if not hope he falls to 20 or so where the celts will be picking. I know the mavs got the tougher schedule, but I expect the mavs to essentially stick a fork in em when they face off. I don't trust harden or howard to nut up.

Bread

Banned
That's why I said if it's 16-20 they should pull the trigger. if not hope he falls to 20 or so where the celts will be picking. I know the mavs got the tougher schedule, but I expect the mavs to essentially stick a fork in em when they face off. I don't trust harden or howard to nut up.
I'd take him with our pick, yeah. Wouldn't touch him until the mid 20s though.

Fjordson

Ive watched a lot of OKC games and I have no clue how this happens. Depth issues? Coaching? Idk I dont remember OKC ever being this bad in the fourth consistently
I remember reading on twitter a few months ago that Westbrook led the league in 4th quarter turnovers. Not sure if that's still true, but he and KD do seem to get a bit tight sometimes in fourth quarters.

Ive watched a lot of OKC games and I have no clue how this happens. Depth issues? Coaching? Idk I dont remember OKC ever being this bad in the fourth consistently

B-b-b-but Scoot Brooks was the problem just like McHale.
troll.png

You sure? I was always under the impression you can only enter the league through the draft coming out of college. If that was the case couldn't a high-profile draftee just play for a D-League team and go to a big-market team/championship caliber team?

You have to be 19 and have graduated HS a year prior. mudiay and Jennings played a year overseas instead of going to college . Thon basically graduated a year earlier and went to a training facility for a year. His situation is open to interpretation by the league basically.

The draft express guys have been dumping on him since he hasn't showed well in competitive camps and argue he has very little feel for the game.. Projecting him to be essentially a hustle rotation guy with a shot rather than a star player you can build around.. Seems to me that college playing under a system would really benefit him based on the criticisms

Jarate

Banned
Embiid is also 7'2" now, and his attitude has completely changed this year

I'm telling you guys that if he's able to stay relatively healthy, his talent is going to be ridiculous, dude has the freakish body length of gobert, but is as good on offense as Boogie.

Jarate

Banned
It's a shame basketball is a full contact team sport.

I feel bad for the guy - incredible that we (myself included) were calling GMs idiots for passing on him and they were dead on. Hopefully he can have at least a semblance of an NBA career.

He'll be ready by next seaon, no reason why you should write him off when none of his skills have seemingly diminished. And Im sure the Utah Jazz are happy with their Dante Exum pick!

spyder_ur

He'll be ready by next seaon, no reason why you should write him off when none of his skills have seemingly diminished. And Im sure the Utah Jazz are happy with their Dante Exum pick!

I'm not totally writing him off, but yes there is plenty of reason to be skeptical. There might not be an injury-size/position combination in sports that has proven more devastating to a player's career than big men with this foot problem.

At least one skill has diminished - being able to actually participate in a basketball game. He looks pretty great slowly catching passes and shooting 10 footers. Yi demolished that chair too.

It's just the reality - when I heard him compared to a young Hakeem I was really excited to watch him. Admittedly, all you can do now is wait and hope for the best.

Also, I think the Qatar thing is weird, but I don't know all the backstory.

Jarate

Banned
I'm not totally writing him off, but yes there is plenty of reason to be skeptical. There might not be an injury-size/position combination in sports that has proven more devastating to a player's career than big men with this foot problem.

At least one skill has diminished - being able to actually participate in a basketball game. He looks pretty great slowly catching passes and shooting 10 footers. Yi demolished that chair too.

It's just the reality - when I heard him compared to a young Hakeem I was really excited to watch him. Admittedly, all you can do now is wait and hope for the best.

Also, I think the Qatar thing is weird, but I don't know all the backstory.

They sent him to Qatar because there are really good sports doctors there that take care of a lot of world renowned soccer players. The organization is full on Sport Science and im assuming they felt the doctors in Qatar were the best they could go to

And yes, there are concerns, but it's the same surgery that KD had, whose also close to 7 foot.

Im not saying he's going to be 100% healthy for the rest of his career, and hell, he could always reinjure a lot of things. But sports medicine has advanced an incredible amount since Yao Ming got his foot injury.

Jarate

Banned
Also, he theoretically could'ver played this year because his foot "wasn't in pain" but this was a precautinary surgery due to the fact it wouldve exploded

there will definately be drawbacks too missing 2 years of Basketball, but the guy is a physical monster right now, 7'2" with a 7'6" wingspan, and the ability to between the leg dunks. Dude is also in really good physical health right now. A lot of the issues last year is that embiid wasn't mature enough to do his PT correctly, which let's face it, a guy from Africa coming to the states with a lot of money who just recently lost his brother and who's only 19? Everybody has changed their tone on Embiid and talks about how much he's matured. And most people are saying his physical toolset hasn't regressed like you saw with Oden and Bynum

Good to see the Eastern Conference so competitive.

Hoping the Cavs rest their starters so Pacers win and fend off the Bull.

Can't believe the Bulls and Wizards are probably not going to make the playoffs. And we might be watching Jimmy Butler's last few games with the Bulls.

Just checking the scores at work--how the fuck are we beating the Bulls by 20??

I was just Googling to find out why Lance hasn't played and discovered from his Wiki Info blurb that he has a sibling called Lantz Stephenson.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd love nothing more than to see the Raps just beat down on whoever they play in the first round.

Fans getting too cocky wanting to fall to 7 to play us.

Silkworm

Damn, Phoenix is on a 7 game losing streak. They may catch the Lakers before the season is over for the worst record in the West.

edit: Of course the Lakers are tanking in the 1st quarter to the Clips, so the Lakers won't give up on that dream easily. :p

Rainy

Banned
Curry starting off cold.

They're up 15 but sometimes the Warriors commit turnovers just trying to be flashy I think.

edit: that put back by HB was nasty.

spyder_ur

Red Panda on Lakers-Clips halftime show. Always must watch TV.

I've got that music etched into my memory. Seen her so many times. I like when she drops a bowl - it's like seeing Curry miss a free throw.

boxter432

Red Panda on Lakers-Clips halftime show. Always must watch TV.

I've got that music etched into my memory. Seen her so many times. I like when she drops a bowl - it's like seeing Curry miss a free throw.
Wanna wanna wan wanna wann wanna wann.
Eeyerr eyeerr errr eyeerr eyeerr err

So I'm replaying DKC2 and I paused the game to check the score of the Warriors game and now that awesome music is playing on a loop and I don't want it to ever end.

David Wise is the fucking man.

boxter432

Wolves keep playing warriors tough this year.
First game got down 10-0 in like 2 minutes and lost the game by 10
Last game outplayed them, refs gifted Ws over and over
Tonight forcing a slop fest and making some threes.

Harkless came through in a big way tonight. Blazers have been doing so much better with him as a starter. I feel like Meyers Leonard needs to go but I have a feeling he'll make noise on another team.

Rainy

Banned
Wolves playing well and GS committing so many turnovers. If they lose tonight, do they even try for the record?

edit: oh that overturn LOL

Kevtones

Shabazz has 30!?

Also Moe Harkless dropped 20 in the 2nd half for Portland tonight.

20/16 tonight
2 steals
7 OREBS

Saying it again: best trade last year.

Top Bottom