• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Why are you guys acting like the Lakers are "choosing" to tank? This team is just terrible, and Byron Scott is one of the worst coaches in the league. It's not a choice. The 2nd best player on this team is Lou Williams for crying out loud. Jordan Clarkson and Lou are probably the only two guys that would even sniff the roster of any contending teams. I kept trying to tell you that this was easily one of the worst teams in the league and nobody would listen.

I was going to ask you for your opinion today. I guess I got it. The Lakers as currently constructed top to bottom including coaching are worse than last year. This is one of the sorriest teams I have seen in my life. I don;'t know if its on purpose or deliberate.

1) When does Byron get fired?
2) When does Jim relinquish control?
3) What happens to Mitch?

I would love for us to spank the Clips tonight. But like most games against them, guys other than Steph will have to play well. They always do a good job of blitzing the shit out of Steph up top with Blake, Jordan and whoever else on the pick & roll.

I'm hoping Klay goes off tonight and the rest of the league, media and fans just melt down. If there's one thing the Clips do consistently, it's that they will absolutely refuse to let Steph score.

I was going to ask you for your opinion today. I guess I got it. The Lakers as currently constructed top to bottom including coaching are worse than last year. This is one of the sorriest teams I have seen in my life. I don;'t know if its on purpose or deliberate.

1) When does Byron get fired?
2) When does Jim relinquish control?
3) What happens to Mitch?

1) Hopefully not until the end of the year
2) I don't think this matters as much as others, but I could see Jeanie changing around some things in the front office and maybe giving Jimmy a new ceremonial title while bringing in someone new to run things. A 2nd straight terrible season and you have to at least give the illusion of change.
3) same as above. I think Mitch has bought himself a lot of time and goodwill over the years but I could see some restructuring that brings in new voices to work alongside him.

tm24

I would love for us to spank the Clips tonight. But like most games against them, guys other than Steph will have to play well. They always do a good job of blitzing the shit out of Steph up top with Blake, Jordan and whoever else on the pick & roll.

The key to the Clips winning tonight is all in DeAndre. If he goes off, it should be a win for DeAndre

Also, Leigh Ellis put forth the idea that Kobe should do a Paul Pierce and come off the bench and i agree

1) Hopefully not until the end of the year
2) I don't think this matters as much as others, but I could see Jeanie changing around some things in the front office and maybe giving Jimmy a new ceremonial title while bringing in someone new to run things. A 2nd straight terrible season and you have to at least give the illusion of change.
3) same as above. I think Mitch has bought himself a lot of time and goodwill over the years but I could see some restructuring that brings in new voices to work alongside him.

Ninja,

We gunnin for that top 3 protected, and its not intentional. :(
Another long year.

Also, Leigh Ellis put forth the idea that Kobe should do a Paul Pierce and come off the bench and i agree

People have been calling for this to happen for awhile now. The problem here is that Kobe much like AI refuses to come off the bench. He's going to finish off his career chucking as a starter.

tm24

Whoever let them stick around is though.

mitch.gif

I just wanted to bust this gif out

Jarate

Banned
The Lakers are probably trying as hard as possible to Tank actually with their pick being Top 3 protected, they're probably banking on getting a top tier free agent next year though (which I doubt will happen)

Jarate

Banned
Sounds like some flakka/bath salts shit.

He doesn't have a history of any off the court issues though much less drug use. I hope my instincts aren't true

I'd imagine it's pretty easy to keep a low profile with drug use, especially if you're not an "addict" and just do it casually. Honestly, this could be a variety of things from him just having some type of panic attack, some pain meds reacting wrong, or some of those bath salts things. Honestly, it could also be the spice, Ive seen some friend have some crazy ass trips on the legal pot shit they sell.

The Lakers are probably trying as hard as possible to Tank actually with their pick being Top 3 protected, they're probably banking on getting a top tier free agent next year though (which I doubt will happen)

We're gonna give Harrison Barnes a max I can feel it.

Mathematically isn't tanking when your pick is only top 3 protected a bad idea? Even with the worst record you have a pretty good chance of losing the pick.

Mathematically isn't tanking when your pick is only top 3 protected a bad idea? Even with the worst record you have a pretty good chance of losing the pick.

Yes.

This is the saddest times in my life to be a Laker fan. these last 5 years have been an embarrassment. TWC should sue the Lakers for breach, and dump em.

Cheebo

Banned
What choice do they have? They have no shot at a playoff so it's either try to play the odds to hold onto their draft pick or end the year with absolutely nothing.

Jarate

Banned

well you can only move back 3 spots, aand having the worst record in the NBA would most likely lead to a top 3 pick

but can they out tank the sixers

~64% chance to keep a top 3 pick with the worst record.
~56% chance as 2nd worst
~47% chance as 3rd worst.

Lakers really need the worst record and, even then, they'll still lose out 1 time out of 3. The others are basically 50/50.

(Odds calculated from data here.)

What choice do they have? They have no shot at a playoff so it's either try to play the odds to hold onto their draft pick or end the year with absolutely nothing.

This is a fair point. I'm just excited for the chance of the Lakers being the worst team in the league and ending up without a pick.

Marcus Smart is out with an injury but Stevens is making even more changes to the starters. This could partly be because he wants to keep Isaiah Thomas and Amir Johnson together.

"The Celtics will have three new starters tonight: Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Jared Sullinger, Amir Johnson." - @Marc_DAmico

Cheebo

Banned
This is a fair point. I'm just excited for the chance of the Lakers being the worst team in the league and ending up without a pick.

Marcus Smart is out with an injury but Stevens is making even more changes to the starters. This could partly be because he wants to keep Isaiah Thomas and Amir Johnson together.

"The Celtics will have three new starters tonight: Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Jared Sullinger, Amir Johnson." - @Marc_DAmico
Isn't the Celtics pick from the Nets unprotected? Nets have been playing awfully. That could be a top 5 pick right there.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wow, tonight's game starts at 9:30 and goes till midnight.......Lame.

West coast games start way to fucking late

I'll be sleeping

Sandfox

I liked how the young Lakers players were allowed to play last night and once Russell starts converting at least two more of his misses a game(he's putting himself in a good position to score, but his shots are just a bit short so it will happen) things will be fun to watch assuming Byron gets his act together.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yes.

This is the saddest times in my life to be a Laker fan. these last 5 years have been an embarrassment. TWC should sue the Lakers for breach, and dump em.

You're the Lakers, you will have Ben Simmons by this time next year. Woe is not you guys. Woe is the majority of the rest of the league that pretty much only knows the disappointment you all are just feeling for the first stretch in decades of greatness.

chaislip3

I liked how the young Lakers players were allowed to play last night and once Russell starts converting at least two more of his misses a game(he's putting himself in a good position to score, but his shots are just a bit short so it will happen) things will be fun to watch assuming Byron gets his act together.

Probably asking for too much there. Seriously, I don't know what I'm gonna do if the Lakers don't fire BS at the end of the season. Dude has no idea how to manage these players and I feel like he's gonna fuck up D'Angelo's development. At least Randle's playing well.

The odds are always against tanking teams but in most cases it's not like they have much of a choice. Lakers couldn't win 30 games if they tried.

Remember when the Clips were the runt of the league and everyone felt sorry for them?
Now after the DeAndre Jordan debacle they have shot their way to one of the most hated. ESPN says they should embrace the villain role.

You're the Lakers, you will have Ben Simmons by this time next year. Woe is not you guys. Woe is the majority of the rest of the league that pretty much only knows the disappointment you all are just feeling for the first stretch in decades of greatness.

Yes.

SVU6baz.png

Championship-wise, no one is catching up to the Lakers or Celtics anytime soon.

Sandfox

Probably asking for too much there. Seriously, I don't know what I'm gonna do if the Lakers don't fire BS at the end of the season. Dude has no idea how to manage these players and I feel like he's gonna fuck up D'Angelo's development. At least Randle's playing well.

I'm expecting him to be fired at some point.

It's probably blasphemous to say this, but after jettisoning Kobe, Dantoni would be a good fit for this young Lakers squad. He would definitely get the most out of D'Angelo Russell.

It's probably blasphemous to say this, but after jettisoning Kobe, Dantoni would be a good fit for this young Lakers squad. He would definitely get the most out of D'Angelo Russell.

You're probably right. DAntoni gets a bad rap because he let hubris and money lead him to two jobs that he was a terrible fit for in Ny and LA. I'd take Pringles or anyone from his coaching tree as the next Lakers head coach.

chaislip3

I mean, at least the pick and roll between Russell/Clarkson and Julius would be fun to watch. That defense though...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This Celtics team is really so bad. I don't know why there were people all hyped up for them. Smart is basically the only guy with any real potential. James Young is non-existant, Isaih Thomas is streaky, Zeller is flat out bad and really his numbers were beyond fluky last year and does matter anyways given his defense. Sulinger is a bum and needs to be traded. Crowder is a high energy guy with not much talent to speak of. Stevens is good, or has been, but all this shuffling is getting a little ridiculous this early in the season. It makes no sense not allowing the players to build chemistry and consistency. I'm glad they didn't extend Jared or Tyler, but it's not enough. They're stuck with avery who is a somewhat overrated defender, a streaky shooter, and virtually nothing else. They're stuck with Crowder who should not be a starter in this league.. And lets not forget they have one of the worst players in the league- Evan Turner. They might make .500 this year, but it's due to the lack of competition in the league, but otherwise this team roster wise has been standing still since the big 3 were shipped off.

Jabari Parker makes his return tonight for the Bucks from last December's ACL injury.

yeahhhh psyched to see how he fares.

Top Bottom