• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

boxter432

GSW 18-38 from 3
MN 3-9 from 3. (whole team equaling Klay)

you just can't win with that discrepancy, even with Lavine/Wiggins/Bazz attacking to get free throws. especially when you only get 1.5pts per trip on them

fertygo

The offense wasn't bad, but we also gave up 63 points to the 20th ranked offense playing without its starting point guard. Losing the 20 point lead in the second half was also pretty bad.

Sometime you really annoy me, how many time this season opposing team score 1000 against you guys?

And this is 2nd game of back-to-back

Fjordson

Sometime you really annoy me, how many time this season opposing team score 1000 against you guys?

And this is 2nd game of back-to-back
Whoa lol, huh? How am I being annoying...? I said earlier, it's tough to close out a road B2B.

I'm not saying it was some trash performance, calm down brehs.

fertygo

Whoa lol, huh? How am I being annoying...? I said earlier, it's tough to close out a road B2B.

I'm not saying it was some trash performance, calm down brehs.

I guess I should add some "lol" in there, I'm chill breh

but you still downplay your team like last year tho

One of the Mavs long time beat writers had a pretty good rebuttal after JVG's little comment last night.

http://www.scout.com/nba/mavericks/story/1610602-the-skylines-the-boos-mavs-upset-clips

All of this was much too much for Jeff Van Gundy, in town with ESPN to telecast the game to a nation that absolutely wanted to see Dirk and DeAndre and Doc and Cuban all yelling at one another ...

And Van Gundy amatuerishly whacked his network-sized stick against the hornet's nest by opening the show by pondering how the same DFW fans who boo DeAndre Jordan can live with themselves cheering the Cowboys' Greg Hardy.

This is a remarkably juvenile attempt at trolling, and yet it took hold on Twitter (where you can find Fish here and Galatzan here) with the poor LCD fans enthusiastically raising their metaphoric pitchfolks. In doing so, they forgot that:

a) All Mavs fans aren't Cowboys fans.

b) All Cowboys fans do not support domestic violence. (In fact, probably pretty close to none of them do.)

c) Van Gundy didn't have to reach so far for a domestic-violence offender from another sport inasmuch as the Clippers' starting lineup on Tuesday included Lance Stephenson, who was involved in a horrible case of domestic violence that Jeff surely is aware of.

d) Van Gundy didn't have to use other people's struggles with the issue and could've instead added his own coaching experience inasmuch as he once traded for Latrell Sprewell -- immediately after Spree had choked his Warriors coach.

e) Van Gundy didn't have to use other people's struggles with the issue and could've instead added his own broadcasting experience inasmuch as he once stood by his mentor Marv Albert even after the legendary NBA voice pleaded guilty to sexual assault in a case that included charges of sodomy of a woman.

In short, Jeff Van Gundy need only look at the next cubicle in Bristol to recognize he has no right to a high horse. Indeed, he's partnered to the NBA, a place that harbors miscreants and criminals. And the same goes for the workplace for many of us, and the world of consumerism for all of us, and we're growing increasingly suspiscious of the high-horse riders and the finger-waggers as we come to the realization that so many of the wagging fingers are attached to dirty hands.

I forgot about that incident of Lance Stephenson pushing a woman down a flight of stairs.

What do people see in D Jordan? He's such a detriment to a team.

I'm so f'in glad Clippers matched the Warriors contract offer a few years back.

I hate to see the Clippers go through this. Especially Jordan having to shoot free throws. Its not fair.

Not to be mean, but after the Clippers' collapse against the Rockets last season, Jordan knew full in well which part of his game needed improvement. "Hack-a-Shaq" is a pain in the ass to sit through, but if he's not going to do anything to improve his free throw shooting, I see no reason for any teams to layoff on him.

fertygo

Not to be mean, but after the Clippers' collapse against the Rockets last season, Jordan knew full in well which part of his game needed improvement. "Hack-a-Shaq" is a pain in the ass to sit through, but if he's not going to do anything to improve his free throw shooting, I see no reason for any teams to layoff on him.

Pretty sure he train all the time, his shot arc is even pretty high now.. and he incredibly fit for his build so he not lazy ass

Jarate

Banned
Woah I had no idea Marv Albert went through a sex assault trial. Ive never heard it mentioned by any person or journalist ever.

I think if I remember correctly, it sounded like Alberts just went too hard on the sex (biting I think was the main impetus) and the other person felt like she was attacked

Interesting suggestion for All Star weekend, I remember during the FIBA World Cup scrimmages, the 1v1's between Durant, Paul George and Harden were meant to be amazing and Harden was apparently playing brilliant defense!

Okay, let’s just accept that the Slam Dunk contest is dead. It’s been dead. And no matter how many gimmicks or gadgets the league throws into it, it’s going to continue to be dead.

I think what the people want to see are one-on-one games. Get a sponsor to put up a $10 million purse, and have the best players in the world go at it.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/brian-scalabrine-nba-qa-mailbag/

Jeremy Lin Emerges As the Most Underpaid Player in the NBA: How Linsanity Lives After Houston

Jeremy Lin heard the echoes and the outrage for years. Everyone from fans who don’t know better to fellow players who should railed against his paychecks, called them inflated and ridiculous while seeming to be somehow personally offended by the whole thing.

Wherever he turned, Lin would find someone else telling the world how “overpaid” he was. It dogged his tenure in Houston almost as much as Kevin McHale’s coaching and Patrick Beverley’s ultra-inflated defensive reputation did. Lin’s paycheck — which never truly stood out of whack in a professional sports league in which average role players like the San Antonio Spurs’ Danny Green pull down $10 million a season — was forever being used against him.

Now, the former Houston Rockets guard is clearly one of the most underpaid players in the NBA. And absolutely nobody’s talking about it.

Lin is making $2.1 million this season. That’s not just a far cry from the three-year, $25-million deal the Rockets nabbed him with post Linsanity; it’s less than half the NBA’s $4.9 million average salary. Which is absurd for a 27-year-old with Lin’s production and potential.

Jeremy Lin is far outperforming his contract — and no one’s giving him any credit for it. Surprised?

Haven't been following him in Charlotte but it seems like he finally has a coach that actually has faith in him and no big surprise, he's putting up decent numbers.

phanphare

Banned

AcridMeat

Banned
Can't believe Knicks didn't want Lin this off-season.
Porzingis and him would make Knicks so fun to watch despite winning or losing.
That would have been good to see. Way better than Calderon.

I had to check out Lin's stats after that article and praise. It's true he's severely underpaid for his numbers, but he's basically at the averages he's always been at. The only renaissance would be his confidence, which is certainly not a small thing.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This Mario Chalmers trade is textbook addition by subtraction. Tyler Johnson was sensational last night, he's giving us the production we expected out of Dragic. Josh Richardson had a nice starting debut, he can join the rotation if he keeps it up. Really pleased with our youth on the roster.

Next game isn't until Tuesday, Wade and Green will be back. Tragic will revert back to Dragic since his family is finally arriving. 8 of the next 12 at home with no back-to-backs. Time to rack up some wins and get this offense going.

Was Lin's contract really that absurd from the start though? 3 years 25 million is not an absurd value for pg who at the time had potential to be one of the better starters in the league. It's not like his contract was more than Steph's severely underpaid contract (4 years 44 million) or Ty Lawson's about market rate (4 years 48 million). Both of these contracts were signed a season earlier too. Even looking at backup guards, Jarrett Jack signed a 4 year $25 million contract. His numbers aren't exactly better than Lin's.

I mean the more I think about it...the more I feel the Knicks were stupid in letting him walk. As a franchise, I've seen them absurdly overpay plenty of players over the years but drawing the line at Lin still makes no sense to me.

Wasn't the problem for the Knicks the structure of the deal? The 3rd year poison pill (5-5-15) was the killer.

There was a concern with that of course. But I find it hard to believe that the Knicks thought that it was impossible to find a trading partner to unload his contract before that last year kicked in. B/c the Rockets certainly were able to do it easily. I mean 8 million in cap space in and of itself is a nice little asset.

There was a concern with that of course. But I find it hard to believe that the Knicks couldn't envision that it was possible to find a trading partner to unload his contract before that last year kicked in. B/c the Rockets certainly were able to do it easily. I mean 8 million in cap space in and of itself is a nice little asset.

If the Knicks knew in retrospect that the Lakers would be in shambles, I guess they could do it over. But maybe, maybe not. But this article, for example, from that summer makes a strong case against the notion of matching the offer sheet.

So if the Knicks matched, he would be 5-5-15? not 8.33-8.33-8.33 against the cap? I'm not sure I understand the rules here.

Heck, I'm not sure of the cap ramifications, either, but I think for luxury tax purposes, that third year would be the 15, which could have triggered crazy balloon payments once other contracts were factored in.

"The rate goes up for every $5 million, so the tax due to Lin would have depended on how much salary the Knicks would have had without Lin," ESPN cap expert Larry Coon said. "For example, if they are right at the tax line without Lin, then his $15 million will cost them $28.75 million in tax. If they're $10 million over the tax line before Lin, then his salary will cost them an extra $47.5 million in tax."

That article also seems to imply there would be different rules in play for New York to trade him, if they matched, versus Houston, but I could be reading it wrong. At any rate, I think the article's usage of the term "diabolical" to describe the signing is seemingly appropriate.

Heck, I'm not sure of the cap ramifications, either, but I think for luxury tax purposes, that third year would be the 15, which could have triggered crazy balloon payments once other contracts were factored in.

That article also seems to imply there would be different rules in play for New York to trade him, if they matched, versus Houston, but I could be reading it wrong. At any rate, I think the article's usage of the term "diabolical" to describe the signing is seemingly appropriate.

It's funny how Morey basically used the collective bargaining agreement that the Knicks drafted against them.

His salary with tax penalties is one thing. But how much can they trade him for? 15 or 8? Whatever those balloon payments were, the Knicks could've easily leveraged some sort of long term advertising/broadcasting deal in China/Taiwan etc.. with Lin on board to offset the tax penalties. I mean the guy singlehandedly resolved the MSG vs TWC dispute.

This Mario Chalmers trade is textbook addition by subtraction. Tyler Johnson was sensational last night, he's giving us the production we expected out of Dragic. Josh Richardson had a nice starting debut, he can join the rotation if he keeps it up. Really pleased with our youth on the roster.

Next game isn't until Tuesday, Wade and Green will be back. Tragic will revert back to Dragic since his family is finally arriving. 8 of the next 12 at home with no back-to-backs. Time to rack up some wins and get this offense going.

I'm curious to see what Jarnell Stokes is capable of now too since Spoelstra seems intent on not having Birdman or Stroudmere play.

Zach LaVine is like Austin Rivers 2.0. He's an upgrade because he dunks instead of falling on his face and puts up prettier stats, but they might be the worst guards in the league to see regular rotation time.

Which one would you rather have? You can't be smarter than Sam Mitchell and put LaVine at 2 - he's gotta stay a 1.

Piecake

Zach LaVine is like Austin Rivers 2.0. He's an upgrade because he dunks instead of falling on his face and puts up prettier stats, but they might be the worst guards in the league to see regular rotation time.

Which one would you rather have? You can't be smarter than Sam Mitchell and put LaVine at 2 - he's gotta stay a 1.

Lavine. There is still a small bit of hope that Lavine becomes a good nba player. Rivers is done and the only reason why he is in the league is due to nepotism.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I'm curious to see what Jarnell Stokes is capable of now too since Spoelstra seems intent on not having Birdman or Stroudmere play.
They're both corpses at this stage of their careers. Miami needs one more big. I'm not comfortable with three bigs even if McBob posts Charlotte numbers since foul trouble, injuries, or fatigue could damage us a lot there. We have perimeter depth but not bigs. J-Rich played with Stokes and raves about him, our scouting has been on a roll lately, and Memphis did release Whiteside before we got him. It would be neat if he turned out to be a real player.

Lavine. There is still a small bit of hope that Lavine becomes a good nba player. Rivers is done and the only reason why he is in the league is due to nepotism.

I think you're right, but Rivers has had some legit moments and games in the playoffs, aside from his rather infamous pratfall vs. Houston. Rivers shouldn't have been given as many chances as he's had, but I think he's closer to being decent than LaVine.

Silkworm

Celtics hanging tight with the Hawks, so far, despite shooting 34.7% for the 1st half. Cool, cool. Hope they can pull of the win but if not, oh well. At least they're trying *shrug*

Piecake

I think you're right, but Rivers has had some legit moments and games in the playoffs, aside from his rather infamous pratfall vs. Houston. Rivers shouldn't have been given as many chances as he's had, but I think he's closer to being decent than LaVine.

I would hope so. He is 3 years older than Lavine, and don't forget that Lavine had some impressive games and scoring moments as well. He has definitely shown some flashes of being able to do something special. Does that actually mean something? Well, that is what the wolves are trying to find out. I also think that is another major difference. Lavine is still considered a prospect and is on a rebuilding team look to develop prospects. Rivers really isnt and is on a contending team needing good players.

Eos

Valanciunas
banderas.png

that lowry and derozan alley oop
banderas.png

BSNsRCi.jpg

I guess people like these Hardwood Classics alts for the Grizz that just got revealed?

I dunno man, maybe I'm too attached to our traditional colors. Not feelin' em.

Top Bottom