• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Cheebo

Banned
I hope Kobe play again next season for the Lakers... He can't go to sunset like this.

He has been on a downward slide since he started getting older and injured. He isn't going to suddenly get better. He is just going to get worse. He is no Dirk or Duncan who can maintain quality basketball well into his late 30's, that is for sure.

And his contract is up. And it would just hurt the Lakers if he signed on for another year. They need that money for younger NBA quality players and their rebuild. And the rebuild can't truly begin till they get rid of Kobe for good. Kobe plain and simply is not an NBA caliber talent anymore. If he wants to play basketball it will be overseas in Europe after this year.

He has been on a downward slide since he started getting older and injured. He isn't going to suddenly get better. He is just going to get worse. He is no Dirk or Duncan who can maintain quality basketball well into his late 30's, that is for sure.

And his contract is up. And it would just hurt the Lakers if he signed on for another year. They need that money for younger NBA quality players and their rebuild. And the rebuild can't truly begin till they get rid of Kobe for good. Kobe plain and simply is not an NBA caliber talent anymore. If he wants to play basketball it will be overseas in Europe after this year.

At best, Kobe would need to go the route of Vince Carter and start playing off the bench, but I think he's too proud for that.

Gaf, a friend of mine is convinced Russell is the real deal and deserved to be picked up 2nd overall. I know the season is still young and I dont wanna judge until maybe he has been playing for 2 or 3 seasons but I feel Mudiay will end up being better. What do you guys think?

PBY

Banned
Gaf, a friend of mine is convinced Russell is the real deal and deserved to be picked up 2nd overall. I know the season is still young and I dont wanna judge until maybe he has been playing for 2 or 3 seasons but I feel Mudiay will end up being better. What do you guys think?
You're probably right but this lakers team is such a trash fire it's hard to say.

Bowser

Hornets agree to 3-year extension with Coach Clifford. Great move, easily the best coach in the new Charlotte era (maybe in all of Charlotte history honestly).

I cannot say much mudiay as i havent seen a minute of a Nuggets game this season but Okafor and Goatzingis are already looking They deserved to be picked higher than russell.. Still too early to tell but thats what ive been seeing so far. Gawdson is probably the lakers future cornerstone PG if the trend keeps on going this same path.

I cannot say much mudiay as i havent seen a minute of a Nuggets game this season but Okafor and Goatzingis are already looking They deserved to be picked higher than russell.. Still too early to tell but thats what ive been seeing so far. Gawdson is probably the lakers future cornerstone PG if the trend keeps on going this same path.

I felt the lakers should have picked up Okafor but my friend thinks Okafor is garbage, which I dont understand lol Mudiay is doing pretty good in my opinion, he shot isnt too bad, he is athletic, and can pass, he just needs to limit the tunrovers which I feel he will in time.

Cheebo

Banned

If draft was re-held today Porzingis, Mudiay, Okafor, Winslow, & Johnson would have all gone before Russell I think.

phanphare

Banned
Hornets agree to 3-year extension with Coach Clifford. Great move, easily the best coach in the new Charlotte era (maybe in all of Charlotte history honestly).

saw that. very good move. I love clifford, he understands the game and is also very defensive minded. his emphasis on deflections, rebounding, and turnovers has been crucial to any success that the hornets have had. he's also not afraid to take a technical for his team haha.

Silkworm

Dang, I guess the Celtics really do need Smart. That 4th quarter against the Hawks was not pretty. At least they hung tight with the Hawks through the other 3 quarters but they were always playing from behind trying to close the gap. Scappy team for sure, just need to find some offensive rhythm and keep the defensive intensity all game due to lack of any sort of superstar talent. Ah well, at least they get to play the 76ers next. :-D

Jarate

Banned
I felt the lakers should have picked up Okafor but my friend thinks Okafor is garbage, which I dont understand lol Mudiay is doing pretty good in my opinion, he shot isnt too bad, he is athletic, and can pass, he just needs to limit the tunrovers which I feel he will in time.

Okafor right now is horrid on defense and is fairly inefficient

but then again, he doesnt have an NBA point guard on the team right now

Okafor right now is horrid on defense and is fairly inefficient

but then again, he doesnt have an NBA point guard on the team right now

I hear you about the defense, but even so, I feel Okafor still should have went second. To me, he seems to have much more promise and upside than Russell. But hey, who knows lol they are still only rookies.

Okafor is doing what people thought he would do. You put Enes Kanter on that Philly team and he's probably putting up 20 and 10. He's also not dispelling the problems people had with him coming out, which is that he is terrible on D and not an elite rebounder. Find me a contending team in this day and age that can get away with having one of their best 2 or 3 players be a center who is terrible on defense? I'd rather have Justise Winslow than Okafor to be honest.

As for Mudiay, he and D'Angelo aren't that far apart when you take into account usage rate. Let's remember Tyreke Evans won ROTY over Steph Curry and James Harden by being the only decent player on a garbage team and basically hoarding up possessions and putting up stats. Way too early to say D'Angelo is a bust in comparison to those two guys. Right now if you want to judge it's 1) KAT 2) Porzingis 3) everybody else.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'd give D'Angelo a pass until Kobe is off the team. That's really what's stunting his development this season. While Mudiay's shooting needs a lot of work, he has been commanding the Nuggets offense comfortably and pretty well.

Cheebo

Banned
Okafor is doing what people thought he would do. You put Enes Kanter on that Philly team and he's probably putting up 20 and 10. He's also not dispelling the problems people had with him coming out, which is that he is terrible on D and not an elite rebounder. Find me a contending team in this day and age that can get away with having one of their best 2 or 3 players be a center who is terrible on defense? I'd rather have Justise Winslow than Okafor to be honest.

As for Mudiay, he and D'Angelo aren't that far apart when you take into account usage rate. Let's remember Tyreke Evans won ROTY over Steph Curry and James Harden by being the only decent player on a garbage team and basically hoarding up possessions and putting up stats. Way too early to say D'Angelo is a bust in comparison to those two guys. Right now if you want to judge it's 1) KAT 2) Porzingis 3) everybody else.

I am still amazed about Porzingis. Phil Jackson knew what he was doing.

Justise Winslow is earning some nice accolades for his defense. It has been obvious -- at least, during the moments I've been able to watch the Heat -- that the Heat have had no problem throwing him at the other team's better players, even if part of it is confidence in him and the other part is maybe trial by fire.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Time to tank for Simmons.. He's already wearing purple and gold

Would be hilarious if LA ends up second worst to the Sixers but end up drawing #4 and losing their pick.

Sixers end up with the 2 and the Nets of course snag 1 and hand it to Boston.

Was listening to Bill Simmon's podcast and he mentioned that Ben Simmons' field goal percentage outside of the paint is 15%. At the same time, Bill's really high on the kid, saying he passes the eye test big time (has amazing court awareness- Lebron/Magic Johnson level passing) and that he still blows by players despite them completely back pedaling on him.

Of course the last person I remember him saying passed his eye test was Joel Embiid.

Kobe quote from Baxter Holmes
CUo38BmWoAAbb8K.png

Just retire already. Please Kobe.

PBY

Banned
Was listening to Bill Simmon's podcast and he mentioned that Ben Simmons' field goal percentage outside of the paint is 15%. At the same time, Bill's really high on the kid, saying he passes the eye test big time (has amazing court awareness- Lebron/Magic Johnson level passing) and that he still blows by players despite them completely back pedaling on him.

Of course the last person I remember him saying passed his eye test was Joel Embiid.

Bill Simmons' analysis is meaningless- he's just a guy.

There are other indicators (FT%, etc) that are better signals of how a shot can develop. But I think most informed analysts/models would say he'll be good, its just too early to tell how good.

I'd give D'Angelo a pass until Kobe is off the team. That's really what's stunting his development this season. While Mudiay's shooting needs a lot of work, he has been commanding the Nuggets offense comfortably and pretty well.

Byron Scott is more of a problem than kobe. From what I understand is that kobe can do whatever he wants and he gets a free pass. You have rookie problems then suddenly you have to prove yourself. The guy is killing confidence, and I have no doubt that any other rookies under Scott would have issues. The guy just doesn't trust them.

Bill Simmons' analysis is meaningless- he's just a guy.

There are other indicators (FT%, etc) that are better signals of how a shot can develop. But I think most informed analysts/models would say he'll be good, its just too early to tell how good.

Watching some of his highlights, I realize how much I lose perspective on how tall 6'9-10 is because I only watch NBA. Dude dwarfs over his competition at times.

I think a lot of people (myself included) feel like with an 18 or 19 year old prospect give me a guy with elite size, athleticism, vision and handles and I will teach him how to shoot, versus a guy with a polished shot who is undersized, or has no handles or court vision. I think this is why people are high on Simmons. Even if he never learns how to shoot he is still a valuable asset because of his other skills, just not a franchise guy, but if you think he's got the mindset to put the work in at improving his jumper, then you have a potential Bron/AD/KD tier guy on your hands.

I don't think the college game is neccesarily conducive to developing these guys jumpers and range either because of how compacted it is. Like if you are Ben Simmons and you can average 19 PPG by just effortlessly attacking the rim against overmatched competition why would you ever shoot? Draymond Green and iirc Kawai Leonard are guys who probably got drafted later than they should have because of questions about their shooting.

AcridMeat

Banned
Draymond Green carved his path by working his ass off once he got in the league. He had no shot, but played super hard every possession and that's why I loved him. He's been putting that worth ethic that got him recognized on defense into his offense since and you see what he's done with it.
Byron Scott is more of a problem than kobe. From what I understand is that kobe can do whatever he wants and he gets a free pass. You have rookie problems then suddenly you have to prove yourself. The guy is killing confidence, and I have no doubt that any other rookies under Scott would have issues. The guy just doesn't trust them.
Oh yeah, Scott is horrible too, but when I say Kobe leaves, I figure that means Scott leaves too. They're a package deal of trashfire at the moment in my mind.

Draymond Green carved his path by working his ass off once he got in the league. He had no shot, but played super hard every possession and that's why I loved him. He's been putting that worth ethic that got him recognized on defense into his offense since and you see what he's done with it.
Oh yeah, Scott is horrible too, but when I say Kobe leaves, I figure that means Scott leaves too. They're a package deal of trashfire at the moment in my mind.

On top of his work ethic, Draymond came into the league with a ridiculously high bball IQ. I remember how in his first year, he would just be in the right place at the right time whenever he got minutes (despite being woefully out of shape). From day one, he was a plus on team defense but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine he would be a primary facilitator on offense.

Yup, they are bad combination of killing development. However, I'm holding that more onto the coach than Kobe. You know what Kobe is going to do (ie: shoot bad shots and try to justify that it was good). It's up to the coach to tell him he's trash and to hold back. Instead, what's happening is that Kobe is being a black hole and Scott says that he's good enough to play in the 4th quarter. Russell is making rookie mistakes and is saying that since he's not good enough, he's not playing in the 4th quarter. Let the kid play. Let him learn.

But yeah, I agree. Both need to go. I have a horrible feeling that if Kobe wants to come back, Lakers will sign him on. And I don't think they'll fire Scott.

Top Bottom