• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It can be extremely fun and still not meaningful.

This basically sums up the NBA in a nutshell right now.

I like watching my team play when I can or checking in on the marquee games cause it's FUN.

I still understand it is all ultimately meaningless though.

TTG

I feel like media hacks who subsist on the NFL alone are the ones always coming up with "but it's meaningless" bs as a way to rationalize not watching games. Teams have time to prepare and rest, and they are a lot more focused come play off time, but this isn't meaningless. You think Curry hitting that shot over OKC last year didn't matter, or on the flip side, people don't care about losing and looking like crap on national tv?

Sorithin

Wait, Memphis starts another 5 game road trip for Houston?

My god what the hell did the NBA do with our schedule?

I don't understand how the NBA makes these schedules.. maybe someone can give me some insight! I'm a Cavs fan and this past 6-game West Coast trip was brutal. Not because of the teams (though they were tough), but just because 11 days away from home is rough, especially when you've been playing tough teams. The Warriors beat us to the ground and I want to say part of it is because they're fantastic but I also want to say it's because we were on our final game of a 10-day/6-game road trip. Like who makes this schedule??

Tom Penny

Rubio always seems so damn good, if he could just shoot the ball decently.

Everything else is great. He passes, he's the only one that plays defense on the timber puppies, etc. If he could just shoot semi decently...

Poor mans Rondo when he could ball on a team that don't have Pierce Allen and KG is garbage.

Vanillalite

The whole point for like 3 teams you mean and if the players care and the product is good, isn't that mostly what matters?

Exactly. Which is why it's meaningless for the rest. Plus even for the 3 or 4 top teams that have a chance the regular season doesn't matter near as much as the post season.

That's the whole rub though. It doesn't really matter cause 90% of the NBA has no shot.

TTG

Exactly. Which is why it's meaningless for the rest. Plus even for the 3 or 4 top teams that have a chance the regular season doesn't matter near as much as the post season.

That's the whole rub though. It doesn't really matter cause 90% of the NBA has no shot.

So, the only meaning to be had is winning the title? You think the Spurs and Rockets, two teams that have a lot more than no shot, went into the season thinking championship or bust?

You keep moving the goalposts and eventually we'll end up with it doesn't matter for Cleveland and Warriors, which is fine in the macro, but again, player pride and what goes into preparing a team for the post season are not meaningless either.

Praise the Sam.

Pringles is coach of the year and it's ridiculous if he doesn't get it. The Rockets look like an actual title contender. A lesser candidate, sure, but still that's just a great job he has done.

I don't understand how the NBA makes these schedules.. maybe someone can give me some insight! I'm a Cavs fan and this past 6-game West Coast trip was brutal. Not because of the teams (though they were tough), but just because 11 days away from home is rough, especially when you've been playing tough teams. The Warriors beat us to the ground and I want to say part of it is because they're fantastic but I also want to say it's because we were on our final game of a 10-day/6-game road trip. Like who makes this schedule??

iC4G6ru.jpg

Nba strength of schedule based only on density of games

You're kidding me right? How do you think young players develop? Or how teammates get into their groove/develop chemistry? Or how those end of rotation d-league players get to show they're worth proper minutes?

NBA regular season does matter, more than you make it out to at least

Vanillalite

So, the only meaning to be had is winning the title? You think the Spurs and Rockets, two teams that have a lot more than no shot, went into the season thinking championship or bust?

You keep moving the goalposts and eventually we'll end up with it doesn't matter for Cleveland and Warriors, which is fine in the macro, but again, player pride and what goes into preparing a team for the post season are not meaningless either.

I haven't moved goalposts.

It's been this way since the preseason.

I wanna see the receipts on the goalpost movement.

phanphare

Banned
mkg has looked much better against portland and toronto, for whoever was asking about him

I think he'll step it up after the all star break, he's flashed a lot this season just hasn't been consistent night to night

Draft pick dying quicker than America's dignity under trump. But w/e 1236ers etc etc

That was brutal man. Feel like shit watching that game with so many bad calls on both sides and 30% shooting from both as well.

76ers fans deserve this streak though. My Blazers are completely broken. I was hoping to see Crabbe or someone explode so we could try to put a deal together for Nerlen but that's just a fantasy.

TTG

I haven't moved goalposts.

It's been this way since the preseason.

I wanna see the receipts on the goalpost movement.

Well, you dismissed players, quality of product, goals that aren't winning the chip.

Meanwhile, the rain here in LA is fucking up my direct tv. Need my meaningless Rockets/Warriors game.

Jarate

Banned
NBA regular season doesn't matter for these teams

Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, maybe the Rockets and maybe the Raptors

Also, while our pick gets worse, remember, we have the Kings pick swap this year, who are steadily getting worse and just lost Rudy Gay.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, you dismissed players, quality of product, goals that aren't winning the chip.

Meanwhile, the rain here in LA is fucking up my direct tv. Need my meaningless Rockets/Warriors game.

You missed KD getting called for carrying

Damn Nola I knee the nets would win, but didn't expect a blowout. At least Philly win again.

I think AD got hurt again

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This basically sums up the NBA in a nutshell right now.

I like watching my team play when I can or checking in on the marquee games cause it's FUN.

I still understand it is all ultimately meaningless though.

Hmmm...I think I didn't choose my words correctly. By "meaningless" I was referring to being able to draw conclusions about where teams are at based on one game. I don't believe the season is meaningless for teams that aren't in title contention.

TTG

I'm a rockets fan but I don't think theyre true contenders. Ceiling is WCF imo.

It's about the competition as much as the Rockets themselves. OKC is gone, Clippers could very well be gone, Spurs are immaculate in the regular season once again, but we'll see if they can keep up with Houston. Things are breaking their way.

Beverley with the steal, Brewer on the fast break, and I expected the miss...

dammit brewer

Have you noticed how Kerr stopped abusing KD with those no center, no playmaker lineups? He was totally reading this thread.

I know I'm already making excuses, but Ryan Anderson is out with the flu for this game iirc, and this is the 3rd game in our 4 out of 5 and the first in a back 2 back against the grizzlies. Capela is also just starting to get back, but Harrell played most of the game against the dubs anyways

On the other hand, the warriors are coming to town and there was flooding in Houston. That's been a guaranteed sign of a rockets win for a few years now

Thank god I said this beforehand.

Capela has been playing awesome, yet still a little injured/rusty. Ryno also would help our spacing alot... Dekker isnt nearly as good at the 3

76ers were 10-72 last season. They're 15-26 atm with EmGOAT leading them. Once Simmons is back, this team might start to turn into a potential .500 team, though most likely for next season. That's an incredible, steep improvement in just one year.

Playoffs could be a definite possibility next season for them.

How quiet did it get when embiid went down with the knee problem? I almost died.

Yo that place got quiet quick everyone held their breath at the exact same time. Didn't last too long though since he seemed to get up okay and crowd went back to normal seeing him run into the tunnel. Had to shout don't scare me like that!

Top Bottom